Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Woop, refurbished pros came back in stock!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Apple refurbished trackers exist for this very reason and will email you the second the iPad you want is available. I used this one to track down a refurb iPad mini (that I never ended up buying) and it was perfect. https://refurb-tracker.com

Thanks for this. I had never thought to search for a refurb tracker. I have a 11" Pro on the way now.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
This might be a bit outside this thread's wheelhouse, but anyone have any recommendations for a good midi controller/keyboard that works well with the ipad/garageband? There are SO many options, which makes we just want to try the cheapest/smallest one first since it's only $35: https://www.amazon.com/midiplus-32-Key-Midi-Controller-AKM320/dp/B00VHKMK64/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=midi+keyboard&qid=1588962037&sr=8-2

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

frogbs posted:

This might be a bit outside this thread's wheelhouse, but anyone have any recommendations for a good midi controller/keyboard that works well with the ipad/garageband? There are SO many options, which makes we just want to try the cheapest/smallest one first since it's only $35: https://www.amazon.com/midiplus-32-Key-Midi-Controller-AKM320/dp/B00VHKMK64/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=midi+keyboard&qid=1588962037&sr=8-2

Go to the synth thread in NMD, they’ll be better able to guide you. That keyboard looks well-rated, but also it looks kinda lovely and uncomfortable and there are lots of really good products in the $50-200 range in multiple sizes and wired/wireless forms that work with iPad, and with other stuff like PC/Mac and modular gear too.

There are bluetooth keyboards and Bluetooth dongles to turn regular midi keyboards into Bluetooth keyboards, and keyboards that work natively without a USB adapter, and then pretty much everything else that as long as it supports core MIDI should work out-of-the-box with iOS, although most USB keyboards will want a camera connection kit and for your iPad to be plugged into a power source. Some will also bitch about “insufficient power” and then work fine anyway. TLDR, go to synth thread, Synth thread is very good.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Ok Comboomer posted:

Go to the synth thread in NMD, they’ll be better able to guide you. That keyboard looks well-rated, but also it looks kinda lovely and uncomfortable and there are lots of really good products in the $50-200 range in multiple sizes and wired/wireless forms that work with iPad, and with other stuff like PC/Mac and modular gear too.

There are bluetooth keyboards and Bluetooth dongles to turn regular midi keyboards into Bluetooth keyboards, and keyboards that work natively without a USB adapter, and then pretty much everything else that as long as it supports core MIDI should work out-of-the-box with iOS, although most USB keyboards will want a camera connection kit and for your iPad to be plugged into a power source. Some will also bitch about “insufficient power” and then work fine anyway. TLDR, go to synth thread, Synth thread is very good.

Thanks for the recommendation! I'll give that thread a try.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Is the cheap iPad (current gen) a good buy? Rumors kind of point to an upgrade sometime in the fall, but with everything that might get pushed back. This is for writing, and mostly watching shows and movies and posting here, though I will try to side load dolphin and play GameCube games.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

As someone who just ditched a 6th gen iPad for a Pro for non-performance reasons, I could probably have used that one for the next four or so years happily. I imagine the 7th gen is even better. If you just want a cheap iPad I don’t think you can go wrong buying this gen model.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

LionArcher posted:

Is the cheap iPad (current gen) a good buy? Rumors kind of point to an upgrade sometime in the fall, but with everything that might get pushed back. This is for writing, and mostly watching shows and movies and posting here, though I will try to side load dolphin and play GameCube games.

I impulse bought a 7th gen at the start of the quarantine and have been using it for similar things, along with a little garageband/procreate and some light web dev work, and it's been way better than I thought it would. I think for your use case it'd work too!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

LionArcher posted:

It is a good but, but I do recommend comparing the screen of the cheap iPad and the current iPad Air. Some people it’s a deal breaker, some it isn’t.

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad

LionArcher posted:

Definitely a good buy for casual use and couch surfing. Although I'd recommend trying to find a refurb/like new Pro 10.5 to get that screen upgrade. I found mine for around $310 earlier this year.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Duckman2008 posted:

It is a good but, but I do recommend comparing the screen of the cheap iPad and the current iPad Air. Some people it’s a deal breaker, some it isn’t.

I’m eager to get dolphin running on an iPad for GameCube games. But, I’m going to hold onto my iPad Air 2 till the fall and see if there is a new cheap update first before I upgrade. I may spring for a refurbished 11 inch pro... I do love the better screens.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
Just a FYI, Costco is carrying the magic keyboard online for a tiny discount, but it is going in and out of stock. $290 for the 11” for what its worth, but with all Costco benefits. Similar price discount for the 12.9.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Anyone happens to know a decent organizer that can hold an 12.9" iPad Pro, ready for taking notes, and still fit A4 documents? The only remotely suitable thing I found was that rooCASE one, but it's for US letter size, and even then, according to reviews, it creases the edges of the paper when closed.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Best Buy seems to have the Magic Keyboards on open box. I found a 12.9 one for $300 with no issue and I’ll have it on Monday.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Skeezy posted:

Best Buy seems to have the Magic Keyboards on open box. I found a 12.9 one for $300 with no issue and I’ll have it on Monday.

Same return policy for open box?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

TraderStav posted:

Same return policy for open box?

Yeah should be. The return window was extended to May 31st. No clue if it’ll be pushed further out but that’s what its at rn.

Not a bad way to go, the total came out to like $321 with tax.

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 02:54 on May 17, 2020

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I buy a ton of open box electronics from Best Buy, never a hassle if I need to return something.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Skeezy posted:

How do you like the 12.9? I’m thinking of just grabbing that for my next iPad.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

LionArcher posted:

How do you like the 12.9? I’m thinking of just grabbing that for my next iPad.

I went with the Air 3 first and then found the 2018 12.9 on the Apple refurb site. I’ve come to realize I should have gone with the 12.9 first.

I replaced my MBP with it. It’s worked out real well so far for how I use things. The biggest screen size is just the best.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
The button on my iPad Pro (first gen) has gone - is there any way to make the screenshot buttons power and volume up like on the iPhone?

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Not sure how, but it could be.
My 12.9 arrived yesterday. I figured it was time to consider a larger size after a decade of owning a few regular-sized iPads from the original 2010 and the last one in 2017.

It really is a huge slab. I suspect I'll get used to it quickly enough just as I did with my first giant phone, the iPhone 6 Plus. But I can see how some might find it too big at first. Even though it weighs less than the original iPad, the weight is distributed further, so reading in bed is best with a case that can help support and stabilize it a bit.

The screen is large enough to really make me use the multitasking features. Safari in landscape mode, for example, is too wide to read some text comfortably, so split-screen with Twitter or Discord in a thin column actually helps. My dock is starting to look Mac-like with more apps than the minimal number I'd have previously.

For a change, I opted for one of the Paperlike-clone screen protectors. It may just be the novelty of a new surface type, but I like how it feels when scrolling by fingertips.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

SimplyCosmic posted:

My 12.9 arrived yesterday. I figured it was time to consider a larger size after a decade of owning a few regular-sized iPads from the original 2010 and the last one in 2017.

It really is a huge slab. I suspect I'll get used to it quickly enough just as I did with my first giant phone, the iPhone 6 Plus. But I can see how some might find it too big at first. Even though it weighs less than the original iPad, the weight is distributed further, so reading in bed is best with a case that can help support and stabilize it a bit.

The screen is large enough to really make me use the multitasking features. Safari in landscape mode, for example, is too wide to read some text comfortably, so split-screen with Twitter or Discord in a thin column actually helps. My dock is starting to look Mac-like with more apps than the minimal number I'd have previously.

For a change, I opted for one of the Paperlike-clone screen protectors. It may just be the novelty of a new surface type, but I like how it feels when scrolling by fingertips.

get an iPad mini to complement your massive desktop iPad

bing bong so simple

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Not sure how, but it could be.
I have an iPhone 11 Pro Max, so close enough.

It's not that I dislike the size, it's just still surprisingly big and that's something that will likely fade over time. I bought the 12.9 because when I look at how I used my previous iPads, it was never in a situation that the screen size would have reduced portability. And I don't need a laptop currently, everything that the iPad can't handle is work I do on my desktop. If I was a student or worked in the field my calculus would probably go the other way.

SimplyCosmic fucked around with this message at 19:15 on May 17, 2020

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
I agree on the size I have the first 12.9 and I mainly watch movies/YouTube in bed so I was like how sweet would be having a lap size screen as big as my tv when I was a kid? The things freaking huge. I’ve had it six months and I’m still not used to it. It doesn’t help I haven’t found a great bed stand that keeps it super stable.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
The magic keyboard should keep it steady as possible on a bed, have you looked into that?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I sometimes stream my iPad on discord by plugging it into my MBP and using QuickTime Player to do a screen recording then streaming that window.

I noticed just now that whenever I have my iPad plugged in and QuickTime Player is doing a screen recording, my iPad’s displayed date changes to “09:41 Tue Jan 9” — every single time. As soon as I quit QuickTime Player on my Mac it goes back to regular date.

Can anyone tell me if this is expected? I’ve been googling and can’t seem to figure out the right words to put in to get an answer. It’s been driving me crazy and I’d love to know if I can somehow turn it off.

E: Ok literally got it as soon as I hit submit. Guess it’s expected.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 19:17 on May 18, 2020

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Martytoof posted:

I sometimes stream my iPad on discord by plugging it into my MBP and using QuickTime Player to do a screen recording then streaming that window.

Why not having twitch capture the screen directly and cut the middleman? The iPad can encode the screen hardware accelerated and if link latency is an issue, connect a usb-c ethernet card.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’m not streaming to twitch, it’s more for language learning with friends on discord, and discord on the iPad can’t do screen sharing yet as far as I know :(

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Martytoof posted:

I’m not streaming to twitch, it’s more for language learning with friends on discord, and discord on the iPad can’t do screen sharing yet as far as I know :(

Oh sure, pretty much everything does screen capture but discord, which is kinda weird given the gaming target...

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

SlowBloke posted:

Why not having twitch capture the screen directly and cut the middleman? The iPad can encode the screen hardware accelerated and if link latency is an issue, connect a usb-c ethernet card.
Wait, it's possible to stream direct to Twitch from an iPad?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Question Mark Mound posted:

Wait, it's possible to stream direct to Twitch from an iPad?

Yeah but there’s no way to do it with a camera on while you play.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

e.pilot posted:

Yeah but there’s no way to do it with a camera on while you play.
That’s for the best tbh :q:

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Just got the MKB from Best Buy and this thing is in fantastic condition. No issues what so ever, I’m guessing whoever bought it just didn’t like it and returned it.

This keyboard owns compared to the smart folio.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
The idea of a ~9" iPad mini has moved on from just being crazy hopes and dreams to Ming-Chi Kuo rumor status as of a few days ago:

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/05/14/kuo-apple-glasses-2022-new-ipads-2020/

Not sure it's accurate, but mockup I saw over on Reddit (latter being the funky resolution of the 11" iPad Pro):

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
It's a lovely design but tbh I wish I could have the same design with the 7.9-inch display; it's perfect for reading in bed (especially if a mini-LED improves the terrible lighting issues in the dark). My Samsung OLED tablet sticks around because it's outstanding in the dark.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
what's the point of the ipad air? i've been thinking about getting my first ipad (really pissed i missed the $250 10.2 sale :(), but i've seen a few reviews be like "well the air has a better screen and processor so you might want to save up for it." is that really the only difference? it just seems like the most pointless product, being up to twice the price for... what, better performance for a handful of apple arcade games? it still only has first-gen pencil support, no magic keyboard support, and anyone who wants a productivity tablet would just get a pro so i really don't get the point

anyways, assuming i get the 10.2, how bad is that first-gen pencil for doodling and note taking? i'm absolutely not an artist and just want a blank canvas for doing the occasional scribbling on. i have a few friends who use ipad pros who are like "oh yeah the first-gen pencil is trash compared to this you should save up," and there's zero loving chance i'm going to drop $500 more on a tablet just for a nicer pencil, especially when my main use case for this thing is "a screen to watch netflix on while i am working on my laptop, and also sometimes used to look at recipes in the kitchen." the last time i actually used a stylus of any sort was a nintendo ds, so i have no idea what my expectations should be, is it relatively easy to do "normal" hand-writing with or do you have to write like you're on a whiteboard?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

japtor posted:

The idea of a ~9" iPad mini has moved on from just being crazy hopes and dreams to Ming-Chi Kuo rumor status as of a few days ago:

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/05/14/kuo-apple-glasses-2022-new-ipads-2020/

Not sure it's accurate, but mockup I saw over on Reddit (latter being the funky resolution of the 11" iPad Pro):

Man I just setup a collection on my 5th gen Mini because half of the time I plug it in to charge I have to wiggle the cable or press the home button before it starts charging. I'd love a Mini with the same look as the iPad Pro with FaceID

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

abraham linksys posted:

what's the point of the ipad air? i've been thinking about getting my first ipad (really pissed i missed the $250 10.2 sale :(), but i've seen a few reviews be like "well the air has a better screen and processor so you might want to save up for it." is that really the only difference? it just seems like the most pointless product, being up to twice the price for... what, better performance for a handful of apple arcade games? it still only has first-gen pencil support, no magic keyboard support, and anyone who wants a productivity tablet would just get a pro so i really don't get the point

anyways, assuming i get the 10.2, how bad is that first-gen pencil for doodling and note taking? i'm absolutely not an artist and just want a blank canvas for doing the occasional scribbling on. i have a few friends who use ipad pros who are like "oh yeah the first-gen pencil is trash compared to this you should save up," and there's zero loving chance i'm going to drop $500 more on a tablet just for a nicer pencil, especially when my main use case for this thing is "a screen to watch netflix on while i am working on my laptop, and also sometimes used to look at recipes in the kitchen." the last time i actually used a stylus of any sort was a nintendo ds, so i have no idea what my expectations should be, is it relatively easy to do "normal" hand-writing with or do you have to write like you're on a whiteboard?

The Air fills a price point that Apple wants to hit. It's more expensive than the base and less expensive than the Pro, and the features reflect that. It's probably the least popular iPad but it exists.

The 1st gen Pencil is great and your friends sound weird. It performs just like pencil on paper, just feels a bit different.

Buy the cheap iPad (it will be on sale again guaranteed, the 128gb for $329 is a better deal) and a 1st gen pencil and enjoy your cool tablet.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

If you have a Costco membership, the iPad went on sale today

32gb for $279
128gb for $329

https://www.costco.com/ipad.html?screen-size=102-in&refine=ads_f142505_ntk_cs%253A%252210.2%2Bin.%2522|

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
the laminated screen on the air really is quite a bit nicer, and it also ends up thinner as a result

$500 used to be the standard price point for the ipad, it's not like it's some unconscionable number