Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Spoilers (nonspecific if you just want to know where it takes place): We cut back to the mansion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
It's getting harder to defend Dabi. :ughh:

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Supersonic Shine posted:

There's got to be at least one comic book where the hero and villain are reduced to clumsily swinging their fists at one another out of exhausted desperation.

I'm sure there are plenty, though I know that's how Kamen Rider Kugga ends:
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=602919436907275

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Here’s a thought: since Machia is referring to his master at the end, is that Shigaraki or AFO? I don’t believe he’s referred to Shiggy as his master before

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Agent Rush posted:

I'm sure there are plenty, though I know that's how Kamen Rider Kugga ends:
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=602919436907275
Kuuga is an extremely good show about the cycle of violence perpetuating violence, even when that violence is necessary... and also karate bugmen punching rubber suit monsters.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
Official translation of 271

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Booty incoming!

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Ouch!

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

It's getting harder to defend Dabi. :ughh:

The resolution of that fight was just bad all around. One of the rules of writing that has always resonated with me is that you can random coincidence to get your characters into trouble, but not to get them out of trouble.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
tokoyami is maybe the worst matchup for dabi in the whole of 1A and he still couldn't seal the deal

don't get me wrong, if tokoyami had eaten it in this chapter i would have dropped the manga immediately, but horikoshi's got to throw that crispy punk a line already. he's become a parody

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Really should have kept Mudman at the front, he would have nullified Geten's ice like he did with Todoroki.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The actual reason Endeavor threw away Touya is because he was a humongous idiot who can't change a lightbulb without making an rear end of himself.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It's not Dabi's fault that Geten likes huge area attacks.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Wait how is this Dabi's fault

He literally had them dead to rights and then Geten hosed it up

Sometimes I feel like this thread is posting from a parallel universe with a completely different version of the manga

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 17:55 on May 17, 2020

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

Wait how is this Dabi's fault

He literally had them dead to rights and then Geten hosed it up

that's the point, he's hosed up yet again and this time it was due to sheer plot contrivance. his tactics this time were actually pretty sound! his only real fault was running his mouth too much, which is understandable because, you know, villain

the story keeps treating him with gravitas but seems really hesitant to let him do anything to justify it

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
dabi, to his own reflection in the mirror: "you sly dog, you got me monologuing"

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Carlosologist posted:

Here’s a thought: since Machia is referring to his master at the end, is that Shigaraki or AFO? I don’t believe he’s referred to Shiggy as his master before

Third option: he smells Deku.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Oxxidation posted:

that's the point, he's hosed up yet again and this time it was due to sheer plot contrivance. his tactics this time were actually pretty sound! his only real fault was running his mouth too much, which is understandable because, you know, villain

the story keeps treating him with gravitas but seems really hesitant to let him do anything to justify it

Right but that still isn't Dabi the fictional character's fault, that's Horikoshi's fault for writing a bad chapter where the only goal going in was "Well I need to get Hawks away from Dabi" and then gave it a gently caress finish to move on as quickly as possible.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Maybe I'm jumping the gun here but it kinda seems like Dabi permanently crippled Hawks by obliterating his back?

Is that nothing?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Trivia thread:

https://twitter.com/CDCubed/status/1262055400162988033

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Like he also kind have used this opportunity to let Tokoyami be cool in defense of his mentor but then all he did was dive off a building and almost die in a fire before he was saved by a random happenstance.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Viridiant posted:

Maybe I'm jumping the gun here but it kinda seems like Dabi permanently crippled Hawks by obliterating his back?

Is that nothing?

Only death matters.

Power level is directly proportional to kill count. Hawks is actually the strongest person in this whole series now

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Rhonne posted:

Third option: he smells Deku.

Fourth Option: he smells Dabi’s delicious arm meat cooking.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Viridiant posted:

Is that nothing?

Hori's not the type of writer to dodge stuff like that. It goes all the way back to All Might's stomach and All For One's head. Endeavor's eye, Mirko's stomach and arm, Shigaraki's fingers, etc, etc.

I'm pretty sure Hawks's permanently lost his wings, barring some Eri shenanigans.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Oxxidation posted:

He did not gently caress up. Geten accidentally saved them. (Which is not a contrivance, we knew Geten was there and that they like to massive area attacks.) Even the running his mouth thing was explained this chapter. Dabi was monologuing to camouflage that he has a cool down between fire blasts.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Oxxidation posted:

I thought he was talking too much to give himself some time to cool down from the body damage.

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Dabi even saved fire to try finishing the job, can’t really knock him for that

The cover art is probably my favourite in the entire manga

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
This is why we all should wait for official scans

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

SKULL.GIF posted:

Hori's not the type of writer to dodge stuff like that. It goes all the way back to All Might's stomach and All For One's head. Endeavor's eye, Mirko's stomach and arm, Shigaraki's fingers, etc, etc.

I'm pretty sure Hawks's permanently lost his wings, barring some Eri shenanigans.

I'm thinking there's gonna be an awful lot of seriously injured or crippled heroes, and Eri's only going to be able to fix one of them.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Within manga's lifespan at least. Deku has become the greatest hero by the time Eri has undone all the lost quirks and body parts.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Deku becomes the greatest hero because all the other ones are loving dead.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
The last time we saw Eri, she was beginning her training to control her powers , so clearly this arc ends with her restoring all injured and crippled heroes to full strength. :v:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Lt. Lizard posted:

The last time we saw Eri, she was beginning her training to control her powers , so clearly this arc ends with her restoring all injured and crippled heroes to full strength. :v:
Or she can only rewind one, and Hawks declines the offer, because he feels like he doesn't deserve to call himself a hero any more.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Given that her power accumulates over time, I wouldn't be surprised if she could only heal a hand full of people at a time before they have to wait for her to recharge. Maybe even only one or two.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Have we ever speculated on what Eri's hero name might eventually be? Her being 'The Smiling Hero' would be a really, really sweet reference to how hard everyone's worked to teach her how to and protect her smile. ...what if she also took up the Recovery Girl mantle?

Old Present Mic voice: "The Smiling Heroine, Recovery Girl! Her quirk, Rewind! Her horn stores up power which she can use to restore someone's body to a previous state by touching them! It can undo almost any injury!"

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I think we need to be honest here with this chapter, Horikoshi is an art and booty man first and a plot man second

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Lt. Lizard posted:

Hooray! Twice is gonna be OK, guys!

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!
:potg:

TheKingofSprings posted:

I think we need to be honest here with this chapter, Horikoshi is an art and booty man first and a plot man second

Judging by his Twitter, Horikoshi's main interests are thighs.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
A man of good taste.

Also I do find Caleb's guess that Hawk's wings/back may be permanently scalded off interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

oh jay posted:

Deku becomes the greatest hero because all the other ones are loving dead.

Ah, the Luke Skywalker method

Edit: gently caress, Hori likes Star Wars so much this might actually be it