Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Heh, that guy with the red E90 M3 finally sold it. It only took 2 years, moving it from NC to MI, an accident/door replacement, a move back from MI to NC, and a pandemic to do it.

I think I offered him 5k more than he sold it for at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
that guy was stupid and almost certainly a jagoff

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

$32750 + 5% fee = 33.4k

I was high by a grand and a half :v:

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

thealphabetsez posted:

It will be fun to watch the BaT auction for this 2016 3er longroof:
2016 328iX M-Sport

M-Sport, 20k miles, AWD. Might it hit $30K??

RNM @ $23.6k -- I guess some didn't like the missing cold weather package :prepop: JK, but it's a striking difference in price compared to the individual '18 longroof 3er.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

thealphabetsez posted:

RNM @ $23.6k -- I guess some didn't like the missing cold weather package :prepop: JK, but it's a striking difference in price compared to the individual '18 longroof 3er.

Yeah. Mid 20s seems about right for that.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
lmao insaaane price who the gently caress would pay that much for it

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010
Money is all relative, right?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

What is money

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Bape Culture posted:

What is money

A tease of such proportion ought to come with a probe ;) This is a tremendously exciting scene!

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
what the what

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Bape Culture posted:

What is money

in addition to missing 46 e's, your car also has some other MOT issues I can identify from here. what the gently caress happened to the roof, pics of the rollover please

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

The battery in my E90 335i decided it had enough sitting around and decided to give up the ghost.
Pulled it out, put it on the charger overnight, even after that as soon as I got the charger off and started measuring the voltage, I could see it steadily drop at a rather rapid rate.

Thankfully it was a decent Interstate battery and I was able to get a like for like swap.
I got it in, it's not giving me any battery messages or anything.

But one question for BMW:

Why so many positive terminals?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
it is a power distribution module, the fuses are built in because bmw

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You need to get the battery coded in because it's still thinking it's an older battery.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

Cojawfee posted:

You need to get the battery coded in because it's still thinking it's an older battery.

It should just need a registration, not a recode since it's the same make and model.
It's not like it's being driven anytime soon, might get to that this weekend.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Norwegians: E46 M3 "Touring" for sale (converted wagon) --but they did the rear arches. Imho a lot cooler than that 330ci that went on BaT the other day.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/UltimateKlasse/permalink/1258225651046213/%5C

29k Euro, Mystic Blue Metallic with tan interior.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Does it come with the turntable so I can just put it in my living room?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Ether Frenzy posted:

Norwegians: E46 M3 "Touring" for sale (converted wagon) --but they did the rear arches. Imho a lot cooler than that 330ci that went on BaT the other day.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/UltimateKlasse/permalink/1258225651046213/%5C

29k Euro, Mystic Blue Metallic with tan interior.

Your link doesn't work but I want to see it :smith:

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Delete the last \

Edit: or %5c

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Big Taint posted:

Delete the last \

Edit: or %5c

This works, and the M3 touring loving works

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
this shop in cali did two s54 conversions for one customer, a sedan and a wagon

https://www.instagram.com/2m_autowerks/?hl=en

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
There are a couple F31 M conversions out there and they're loving hot.

I have no idea how to embed instagram but this guy has tons of pics of his.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
S54 e46 wagons are so drat good.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
Right front wheel arch of the e30 rust bucket. The longer you look the better it gets
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/697511686260654181/711630711391780965/unknown.png
(wasn't me)
Between plucking my hair out hysterically and laughing maniacally at my own idiocy there is actual progress on that thing

Erulisse fucked around with this message at 18:30 on May 17, 2020

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

AntherUslessPoster posted:

Right front wheel arch of the e30 rust bucket. The longer you look the better it gets
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/697511686260654181/711630711391780965/unknown.png
(wasn't me)
Between plucking my hair out hysterically and laughing maniacally at my own idiocy there is actual progress on that thing

I've seen stitch welded pinch welds, but...

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
send it to the scrap yard

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

meatpimp posted:

I've seen stitch welded pinch welds, but...

But have you seen the junkyard spec strut with welds on it? :D

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Holy loving poo poo.

I just hosed my e61 up in a somewhat- at least for the time being- hilarious way.

There’s this app, ‘deep OBD for BMW and VAG’ that’s basically all the functionality of INPA, but running on android.

Seeing how tomorrow is slated to be decent and the better 3/4 is on kid detail, I figured I’d finally tackle the transmission fluid, OFHG, and other fluid maintenance tasks I’ve been hoarding parts for for at least the last 6 months. So I went to raise up the rear air to get things level[er] on my not level driveway. Unlike INPA, however, there’s no feedback about the height of the rear as you actuate the compressor, and, sitting in the car in my driveway, on a slight slant I couldn’t really tell how high I was, it just kept raising and raising, with no STOP readily accessible without a fumbling to another dropdown menu, the compressor kept whirring until

*POP*

I popped a loving air spring (I think, anyway, it’s dark and I can’t see poo poo to check). I had the windows closed so it didn’t sound *that* bad, but the wife and a neighbor came running, saying it sounded like a gunshot.

:sigh: at least air springs themselves are less than $200, I can take that on the chin.

I’m all about seemingly innocuous deal breaking failure modes- the n54 OFHG leak to shredded belt to clogged oil pickup is a favorite of mine- but wow, are safety/ PRV valves that tough for zee Germans?

TL;DR- popped a rear air spring actuating the compressor via an android app.

E: it does look pretty rad dumped like this, I’ll grab a pic in daylight,

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

why not just... get INPA?

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

why not just... get INPA?

Because my laptop was inside, not particularly charged, and I was lazy.

...and I kind of figured it wouldn’t let me do that.

At least I know the compressor is still good :v:

E: I’ve discovered, via a junkyard set of 16” e60 wheels that they clear the brakes, has anyone ever seen one of these lifted? Having weird thoughts about k02s with RWL.

glyph fucked around with this message at 04:18 on May 19, 2020

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Looks kind of like this I'm guessing

Only registered members can see post attachments!

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

^^^ poo poo, you're right.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

glyph posted:

^^^ poo poo, you're right.

Living the stanced life.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
So in my quest for a classic car that I can use for fun times on B roads driving like a lunatic I am keeping an open mind. Open enough to actually consider a modern car like the E46. A 330i has much of what I'm looking for. More than 4 cylinders, supposed to be a good drivers car etc. Oxford green is a drat cool colour as well. A bonus is that it's safer than a car from the 60's to 80's as well.
As I'm in Europe, parts should be plentiful as well.
Being a follower of this thread, I'm fearing that my wallet will be permanently light. Maybe not if I do all the work myself (as I would)? I'll try to go look at one asap anyway.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
The e46 330 is a great car, I miss mine all the time. It's not too much of a bastard to work on, save the suspension stuff that you really should just pay a shop to do as far as pressing out/in bushings, unless you're a masochist. Mechanical parts didn't seem too expensive, but if you care about replacing cosmetic/trim pieces, those can be pretty high.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

It's gonna cost you more money and not be as cool. They're also more difficult to work on - you'll want at minimum tech documents and INPA on a laptop, which I run through WinXP emulation. On the other hand, it's safer and more comfortable and has more modern tech. The experience is not going to be anything like a 124 or an Alfa or MGB or something like that. I think you need to decide up front which experience you want.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Yeaaaah, that definitely made a noise.

E: On a bizarre note, this white piece mysteriously appeared in my driveway with other broken plastic pieces. I could identify the original locations for the others, but this one has me stumped.

RealOEM shows it as a battery positive terminal cover for e63s and e64s. It has a 2004 date holder into it and this is a 2008 car. It's definitely been riding along with me outside the car, but where? Maybe a multitasking dealer tech set it somewhere? :iiam:

E2: overnighting two of rock auto's cheapest to get me by for the time being. These are surprisingly easy to change out.

glyph fucked around with this message at 20:05 on May 19, 2020

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

The e46 330 is a great car, I miss mine all the time. It's not too much of a bastard to work on, save the suspension stuff that you really should just pay a shop to do as far as pressing out/in bushings, unless you're a masochist. Mechanical parts didn't seem too expensive, but if you care about replacing cosmetic/trim pieces, those can be pretty high.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It's gonna cost you more money and not be as cool. They're also more difficult to work on - you'll want at minimum tech documents and INPA on a laptop, which I run through WinXP emulation. On the other hand, it's safer and more comfortable and has more modern tech. The experience is not going to be anything like a 124 or an Alfa or MGB or something like that. I think you need to decide up front which experience you want.

Thanks. Good points. Yeah I need to consider what kind of experience I want. E46 is more toward the "fun daily" for me I guess.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

After poking around to see if I could get Carly, Deep ODB, and ISTA/INPA to work with my Bluetooth ELM ODBII adaptor, I remembered I actually do have an OpenFlash tablet for my 2008 E90 335i.

I figured it might have a battery reset function on it:

So I'm in luck! I'll have to get it out to stretch its legs.

Since I am using the same brand and model of battery (Interstate MTP-49/H8) there isn't a need to recode for a different battery, just reset it.
I will likely still order a K+CAN/K+DCAN cable for it, given that they aren't terribly expensive and removes the PITA that is trying to get 3rd party Bluetooth ODBII readers to connect to whatever apps are out there.

Does anyone have recommendations for a particular K+DCAN USB cable? Poking around they generally all look about the same. This one at least seems more forthright about the fact the software comes on a sketchy burned DVD:
https://www.amazon.com/LZLRUN-Diagn...89921891&sr=8-2

nadmonk fucked around with this message at 12:36 on May 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I am almost positive they're all identical, that looks the same as the one i bought on Ebay. I needed a 20 pin as well, though.