Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm slowly in the process of converting my desktop into a something I can do all my work from, and having just acquired a headset so I can take work-calls from it, now I'm thinking about a camera for Zoom meetings and whatnot.

What should I be looking for, for something that's going to be better than your average grainy laptop webcam?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm slowly in the process of converting my desktop into a something I can do all my work from, and having just acquired a headset so I can take work-calls from it, now I'm thinking about a camera for Zoom meetings and whatnot.

What should I be looking for, for something that's going to be better than your average grainy laptop webcam?

Good luck finding anything at this point.
CDWG has our webcams backordered for at least another month.

I like my Logitech C920 HD Pro. The mic is decent on it too.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Ryzen 7 3700X
2X16 Corsair RGBPro 3200
Gigabyte B450m

Is it normal for a stick of ram to go bad after a month? A game froze my entire pc today, then 20 minutes later froze again, then blue screen loop on boot. Pulled out my second stick, booted fine. Swapped sticks, blue screen.

Up until this point Ive been running my ram with XMP to 3200, 16-18-18-18-36 and a manual voltage setting of 1.35. Everything else is stock. The voltage on Newegg is listed as 1.35.

Edit: after removing the faulty stick, I reset the bios to default, turned XMP on and left the timing and volts in auto. Its running totally fine and reporting 3200. It wouldnt do that stable with both even when they were new.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 06:41 on May 10, 2020

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

gradenko_2000 posted:

As mentioned, just about all video conferencing & streaming hardware (webcams, microphones, hdmi capture devices) are either on backorder or short supply. If you own a proper camera you can investigate if there's a way to do video over usb (it'll depend on the make & model). Otherwise use your phone, there are apps that will make it act like a webcam.

Also, brightly light yourself with some lamps. Also get a decent microphone and consider the room acoustics.

Because every kid wants to a 'game streamer' or ''Youtube star' there's an absolutely ton of channels/videos dedicated to the gear and setups. Be careful not to go down the rabbit hole where you suddenly lust after a microphone setup costing several hundred... (only to be saved by it all being out of stock...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rXsWPEZosQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJRzWgF9k9c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61TcpH7RI_8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqTx8kYwckg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cf3bqgxn-2I

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Rolo posted:

Ryzen 7 3700X
2X16 Corsair RGBPro 3200
Gigabyte B450m

Is it normal for a stick of ram to go bad after a month? A game froze my entire pc today, then 20 minutes later froze again, then blue screen loop on boot. Pulled out my second stick, booted fine. Swapped sticks, blue screen.

Up until this point Ive been running my ram with XMP to 3200, 16-18-18-18-36 and a manual voltage setting of 1.35. Everything else is stock. The voltage on Newegg is listed as 1.35.

Edit: after removing the faulty stick, I reset the bios to default, turned XMP on and left the timing and volts in auto. Its running totally fine and reporting 3200. It wouldnt do that stable with both even when they were new.

If your RAM can't run stable at the advertised speeds by just turning on XMP and not touching anything else, it is faulty and you should seek a warranty replacement. Under no circumstance believe anything about XMP being overclocking and therefore not covered by warranty.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Geemer posted:

If your RAM can't run stable at the advertised speeds by just turning on XMP and not touching anything else, it is faulty and you should seek a warranty replacement. Under no circumstance believe anything about XMP being overclocking and therefore not covered by warranty.

I was hoping to hear that but I wasnt sure if faulty ram is a thing that actually happens anymore or if I was just missing something.

Is it ever the motherboard slot? Should I try the good stick alone in it and make sure before filing a Corsair ticket?

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Absolutely that is possible, and not even a rare occurrence. Similarly, motherboards are notorious for not liking all of the slots being populated, or being fine with one dual channel pair being populated but not the other, with the same ram.

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 16:43 on May 10, 2020

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I bought them from my local Best Buy and just got off the phone with an absolute dude who is letting me do a quick curbside swap for a new set while they do the warranty claim themselves.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Absolutely that is possible, and not even a rare occurrence. Similarly, motherboards are notorious for not liking all of the slots being populated, or being fine with one dual channel pair being populated but not the other, with the same ram.

CPU memory controllers often can't run faster dual rank RAM at full speed when all slots are populated. If you're using four sticks, single rank is always a better choice.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Im just on 2/4 slots but thats good to know.

Before boxing it up I put the good stick in 2 slots and it booted fine. Put the other stick in both and got a blue screen both times. Im all but positive replacement sticks are the way to go.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
New RAM didnt fix it. XMP on gets me a boot loop 3-4 times then boots with the RAM at 2133. Granted at this stage theyre at least working.

Bad motherboard maybe?

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Sounds like maybe the ram *and* the mobo are dodgy, or that brand of ram has compatibility issues. Try a different brand?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Totally forgot I have 2X8GB of T-Force 3200 from an older build I could swap out for testing. Cleared CMOS, turned XMP on and nothing else and its booting fine, passing memtest and reporting 3200.

I think my specific motherboard/ram/cpu combo just didnt like each other?

I think Im going to return this new memory and just try to get a refund. Id rather just have my 16 gigs that work well than 32 that take effort.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Is the BIOS up to date? They often address RAM compatibility issues.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Yeah it is.

Edit: got a very easy refund and my pc has been fine all day with my older memory. Im just going to revisit memory/motherboard upgrades next year if I end up with a new Nvidia card.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 22:56 on May 10, 2020

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

The one stick is probably just a "little" defective... just bad enough for your mobo to poo poo the bed over it, rather than an inherent incompatibility, which is why it's bad in both slots.

E: oh wait you got it replaced. Huh. :iiam:

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 01:56 on May 11, 2020

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I have an Intel NUC (MODEL: BOXDC53427HYE) and I want to get an SSD for it.

Can I just get any mSATA SSD or is there something special about these boxes that require a certain kind/speed/cache? I've been out of the hardware loop since I bought this thing in *checks notes* late 2013...

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Can I just get any mSATA SSD or is there something special about these boxes that require a certain kind/speed/cache? I've been out of the hardware loop since I bought this thing in *checks notes* late 2013...

All of the mSATA stuff should be compatible, it's only when they moved to M.2 slots that there was a split between sata and nvme drives. I'd just get a known name brand, although prices are a little weird because there's not many made but mostly older laptops and NUCs that use that form factor.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

strangehampster in SAMart has a couple cheap MSATA SSDs for sale right now that'd work. Just about any MSATA SSDs would work for that.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I've had 2 cheapass printers crap out on me in a row, about a year or two after I buy them. Since I'll be working at home for at least a year I should get a printer. Is there some kind of 'buy this printer it won't explode' recommendation? Do I have to get a laser printer? Are there any good recommendations on printers? I suppose there are no sales... everyone must be buying a printer these days.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I bought a Xerox Phaser 6130 laserjet printer in 2006 and I've only replaced the toner one time. I think it was the color toner too.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

redreader posted:

I've had 2 cheapass printers crap out on me in a row, about a year or two after I buy them. Since I'll be working at home for at least a year I should get a printer. Is there some kind of 'buy this printer it won't explode' recommendation? Do I have to get a laser printer? Are there any good recommendations on printers? I suppose there are no sales... everyone must be buying a printer these days.

Printer thread here if you like: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3862377

Get inkjet if you print occasionally or if inkjet has other capabities you need. Make sure you print a test page every so often, like every other week or so, to keep the ink moving, or else it dries up or clogs.

Get a laser only if you print a lot or if laser printing fills specific requirements (like crisp text on average paper). Also laser printers tend to "just work" and do not require the kind of periodic maintenance that inkjets do. But when something has to be replaced, it is expensive.

Manufacturers matter a lot. I usually go with Canon for inkjets or Brother for lasers. Others swear by HP. Dell is universally hated.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
This is probably the thread for this question:

Since I'm lucky enough to be working from home, I have a desk with my desktop, wifes desktop, and a work laptop + docking station. When working I use the monitor from my desktop as my main monitor and my laptop monitor.

Now when we want to use our desktops together, I need to move all the cords. Which is both a pain in the rear end, and probably not great for the ports.

I know what I need is some sort of KVM switch solution but I'm a little lost on what to buy.

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved

el dorito posted:

Make sure you print a test page every so often, like every other week or so, to keep the ink moving, or else it dries up or clogs.

Or just buy a laser. Jfc why would you recommend a sure-to-dry-up inkjet to someone?!

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer

EssOEss posted:

Or just buy a laser. Jfc why would you recommend a sure-to-dry-up inkjet to someone?!

Trolls gonna troll.

Last I checked the goonsensus was one of the little Brother HL series. Dunno what's up with the latest models, etc. We had one at work (HL2240?) and it was cheap, good, and reliable.

I've had one of their MFC models for 10 years since I wanted copying+scanning, still going strong. I print rarely but when I do need big print sessions it's also reliable. And refilling the toner cartridge with cheap-rear end eBay toner (make sure you get one with the gear kit) is pretty easy, and is good quality/hasn't messed up the printer or any prints. I assume this holds for the HL series toner cartridges, but do a little research on that if you care--the original toner cartridges are not that expensive for how many pages you get out of them anyway.

Not that you care about this, but the batch scanning is alright. I don't think it's as good as a dedicated batch scanner. The only other complaint is that its feedthrough for envelopes mangles them. It might be my unit or something else I'm doing wrong. I switched to printing on labels, which works fine.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

ChiralCondensate posted:

Last I checked the goonsensus was one of the little Brother HL series.

Yes.

I snagged this for $100 on an amazon lightning deal for my in-laws
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0764NWFP8

It's been amazing.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
I got a refurb Dell laptop about a year ago, and it's been working fine for me for a while. This morning, however the C drive wasn't recognized. So I opened it up to find a little mSATA chip connected to a SATA adapter, which I've never seen before and don't have any experience working with. After reseating it to no avail, I plugged it into my HDD dock, where it wasn't recognized at all, which really sucks because this is Finals weeks and I was about 90% of the way through a term paper.
Has anyone else has this happen to them before? And is the adapter a common/possible point of breakage? Thanks for any and all help, there couldn't have been a worse possible time for this to happen.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

DildenAnders posted:

I got a refurb Dell laptop about a year ago, and it's been working fine for me for a while. This morning, however the C drive wasn't recognized. So I opened it up to find a little mSATA chip connected to a SATA adapter, which I've never seen before and don't have any experience working with. After reseating it to no avail, I plugged it into my HDD dock, where it wasn't recognized at all, which really sucks because this is Finals weeks and I was about 90% of the way through a term paper.
Has anyone else has this happen to them before? And is the adapter a common/possible point of breakage? Thanks for any and all help, there couldn't have been a worse possible time for this to happen.

I suppose it's very possible that the adapter failed, yes.
You can get MSATA to USB adapters on amazon or just buy a new MSATA to SATA adapter and hope for the best.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

EssOEss posted:

If you want anything besides a simple black and white printer it's still tremendously cheaper to buy an inkjet.

A full color wireless multifunction inkjet printer + scanner that can print passable photos is $40. Same thing from a laser would be $300+

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

imho the specific use case and overall cost of ownership are 2 important factors in buying printers just imho

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

To be serious, I was not trolling but simply putting out the options

keep in mind that I posted the link to the printer thread and mentioned how annoying it is to maintain an inkjet

but I have had a career in a computer repair shop and still have the role of tech support as a minor part of my current position

so I can understand how people are unhappy about any kind of inkjet recommendation because it's inadequate for many roles and situations and is the source of a lot of pain for many users and computer touchers

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

having said that... if you print color and exclusively color, frequently enough, you might want to get a color printer

but in most cases a b&w is good enough

but there was very little info from OP so in general the better thing to say is

Statutory Ape posted:

imho the specific use case and overall cost of ownership are 2 important factors in buying printers just imho

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I want to test a USB key which I think failed at some point but I'm not sure. It's not for anything critical. Is there something like memtest86 for USB keys?

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Trying to install an RX 570 into an HP Z620 workstation.

The video card has a 6 pin slot. (circled red) I read about how RX 570s need an 8 pin for the purposes of providing enough power, but maybe that's not true for all of them?

The blue circle is around two six pin cables (male and female) plugged in to each other. One comes from the PSU, the other goes behind a panel to parts unknown. Maybe it's not even used, I don't know. Either way, it's about a foot from the card. I'm going to need an extension cable, or maybe a splitter like this to make sure everything's plugged in?

Just trying to confirm all of this so I don't blow up my video card immediately. There is basically no manual for this, and extensive googling has produced paltry answers at best.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

The video card has a 6 pin slot. (circled red) I read about how RX 570s need an 8 pin for the purposes of providing enough power, but maybe that's not true for all of them?

The blue circle is around two six pin cables (male and female) plugged in to each other. One comes from the PSU, the other goes behind a panel to parts unknown. Maybe it's not even used, I don't know. Either way, it's about a foot from the card. I'm going to need an extension cable, or maybe a splitter like this to make sure everything's plugged in?

Just trying to confirm all of this so I don't blow up my video card immediately. There is basically no manual for this, and extensive googling has produced paltry answers at best.

Risky. That is probably the 12v aux supply to the CPU (who knows what bizarre reason HP put an extension on it for instead of just having their OEM make a PSU with the cables long enough, probably cost savings and standardization). You may need to invest in an auxiliary power supply just to feed that video card because it will not function without a 6 pin connected.

I'd just pull the whole PSU and motherboard out of the case and see if there is an available 6 pin tucked away somewhere (and also verify the PSU has the wattage to even handle the combined system load).

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Indiana_Krom posted:

Risky. That is probably the 12v aux supply to the CPU (who knows what bizarre reason HP put an extension on it for instead of just having their OEM make a PSU with the cables long enough, probably cost savings and standardization). You may need to invest in an auxiliary power supply just to feed that video card because it will not function without a 6 pin connected.

I'd just pull the whole PSU and motherboard out of the case and see if there is an available 6 pin tucked away somewhere (and also verify the PSU has the wattage to even handle the combined system load).

Christ. Even if I split the 6 pin to feed both the CPU and the video card, that won't do it?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Christ. Even if I split the 6 pin to feed both the CPU and the video card, that won't do it?

Those are the two most power drawing/spiking things in any computer.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

One of the nice things about nicer workstations is that there's usually a service manual somewhere.

You're looking for a power cable labeled "G1." It's hard to tell from your picture, but if that power cable that's circled is labeled "P2" then it's your CPU power supply and shouldn't go to the graphics card.

Your power supply should be 800W, so it shouldn't have any issues with that video card and a single CPU even though it's on the old side.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

VelociBacon posted:

Those are the two most power drawing/spiking things in any computer.

imagine unironically wanting SLI

Just imagine the type of sick gently caress that, if the gains would even remotely justify the cost and component stress and heat..

I'm really glad SLI doesn't work tbh, cost: performance has always interested me at both ends of the spectrum lol

What's the most wattage running through built in USB PD through computers now? The keeping it around 18 or so or can I do full throttle yet lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Space Gopher posted:

One of the nice things about nicer workstations is that there's usually a service manual somewhere.

You're looking for a power cable labeled "G1." It's hard to tell from your picture, but if that power cable that's circled is labeled "P2" then it's your CPU power supply and shouldn't go to the graphics card.

Your power supply should be 800W, so it shouldn't have any issues with that video card and a single CPU even though it's on the old side.

Thanks. Can't find a part of the manual that details every power cable inside the case, but there is one about installing a PCI card with an auxilliary power cable (auxilliary power supply assumed but not shown :v: ) Is this an indication that an aux PSU is required for a power-hungry graphics card in this system?

You say that I should look for a G1, and indeed, this PSU (S10-800P1A) should have two six-pin 18a connectors called G1 and G2. I found G1 (circled yellow), along with a G2, plugging in to the case fan. These are six pins. I guess ideally I could use one of these but they are both plugged in to the fan. Any thoughts on this?