Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Congrats on your new rebodied Subaru Crosstrek!

(Yeah thats not a joke. That's the actual platform the 86/BRZ are made from)

At least it's not a PT Cruiser. :v:

What Chrysler did to the Neon to make that monstrosity cannot be forgiven.

e: fixing a shameful snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Oh don't think I've seen that color before

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

um excuse me posted:

I wouldn't even care if someone with a 9-2X Aero posted in here, honestly. The Wicked Big Meet even allows them to race in the Subaru only autocross.

Hey, it says Saab on the badge but it says Fuji Heavy Industries under the hood. It's a Subie through and through

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Minto Took posted:

Whoah what is that awesome colour?

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Hakone Green

I got one of these: https://www.motortrend.com/news/2020-toyota-86-hakone-edition-mean-green-touge-machine/

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

um excuse me posted:

I wouldn't even care if someone with a 9-2X Aero posted in here, honestly. The Wicked Big Meet even allows them to race in the Subaru only autocross.

What about a Linear?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

This owns. Very nice!

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Hakone Green is uuuuuuuuunffffffffffffffffff.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Holy balls that 86 is sickkkkkk.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Why did my pants suddenly get tight? :stare:

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Minto Took posted:

That color looks amazing, congrats on the new car. Those are also probably the best looking stock wheels I've seen on a car.

There was an 86 dedicated thread, but it went to the archives probably 2 years ago.

The Philly86 club met up with the Allentown 86 club back in February, and the Allentown club was super late. The reason? Their hyper blue BRZ rear ended their Hakone 86. I know the hyper blue was totaled. The Hakone was driveable, but had some serious rear end damage. It was tragic.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 13:31 on May 8, 2020

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

One lateral link bolt down, one to go.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The outer lateral link bolts have not been my biggest problem so far. What's the deal with the plastic cap on the front-facing side of the bracket the inner front lateral link bolt goes into? It's toothed, can't tell what it's for. I managed to break a socket on that bolt, need to figure out where my impact sockets went.

bonelessdongs
Jul 17, 2019

rickiep00h posted:

Because something is wrong with me, I bought a '93 Legacy 25th Anniversary off Craigslist this weekend. After I cleared the ECU, the only code that still pops up is the canister purge solenoid. (It also stumbles a bit and idles pretty high.) So I figure I actually have to replace it.

Problem is that it seems unusually hard to find a new one for less than like $75 (and the most common price seems to start at about $110 and work up from there), but it seems like most of the issue stems from just having the mounting tab on the opposite side from later (much cheaper) models. Anyone know how I could go about finding a new replacement that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

Fill the purge solenoid with mineral spirits while cycling it on and off with a 9 volt, then shake vigorously and blow excess mineral spirits out

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Well, the 10mm wrench gremlin got to me, so I put the car back together and will be heading out to Harbor Freight tomorrow to get more impact sockets and a new wrench set that will hopefully last a few more years before I lose half of them again.

While I'm at it, is there a tool specifically for clamping a brake hose? Like Jamal mentioned a while back, the hose on these things goes through a bit of the strut housing in the rear, so unless I want to spend a lot of time with my not-very-strong rotary tool grinding away, I'm probably best off clamping the hoses. I had a pair of vise grips on there but I'm not sure if there's a better tool for it. Putting together a shopping list for tomorrow, I'll probably get another can of PB blaster just in case too. And some brake cleaner to clean out the inside of the bushing holes and clean the brakes while I'm in there.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I don't understand why they designed it that way. Later models just uses a clip like everybody else. I did switch the brake hoses when I put newer model struts on my Forester, so it's possible to convert them. That involves bleeding of course.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Actually, maybe I should just drain and replace the fluid while I'm at it, I don't know how old that fluid is. I think I might have a bottle of it that I bought last winter, but I can't remember if I bought DOT-3 or ATF thinking that it would work for power steering fluid.

This is how cars sit for years, isn't it? "While I'm at it"x100.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

bonelessdongs posted:

Fill the purge solenoid with mineral spirits while cycling it on and off with a 9 volt, then shake vigorously and blow excess mineral spirits out

Went ahead and got a replacement anyway. Once that gets here, we'll be seeing how much my $750 got me.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

apropos of nothing: If you're trying to track down a front-end clunk, go out to your garage/driveway/yard right now and tighten your swaybar endlinks. Just do it. I don't care if you're super sure they're already tight. Otherwise, you'll deal with it for far, faaaar too long and convince yourself it's some other component you haven't yet identified.

:suicide:

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I think I need a new radiator
https://streamable.com/wn1mss

Although last time I had an engine drink coolant it was a head gasket, and this *is* an EZ30, and there was white smoke at the back of the car when I pulled over to top the coolant up...

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Costco has these lift/stands for under a grand.

https://www.costco.com/quickjack-5%2c000-lb-capacity-portable-car-lift.product.100460313.html

Anyone have any opinions?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

simplefish posted:

I think I need a new radiator
https://streamable.com/wn1mss

Although last time I had an engine drink coolant it was a head gasket, and this *is* an EZ30, and there was white smoke at the back of the car when I pulled over to top the coolant up...

Do you want the good news or bad news?

Bad news is you have a EZ30

Good news is the head gaskets are gone and you have an excuse to swap it out for a motor that isn't such a huge ball of crap. Like a EJ25

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Do you want the good news or bad news?

Bad news is you have a EZ30

Good news is the head gaskets are gone and you have an excuse to swap it out for a motor that isn't such a huge ball of crap. Like a EJ25

Really, that's not the radiator? poo poo.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

So during the quarantine down time, I decided to pull my rallycross car out for a thorough cleaning, and when I pulled it out lo and behold, an oil leak. Pulled the skid plate off, breaking off 2 bolts in the subframe, and I found a pinhole leak in my oil pan. The thing is rusty as hell, as is the subframe (the subframe is actually rotting to pieces at this point), and I figure eh I'll replace them since I have the time... broke 4/12 bolts holding the subframe on lol.

I got a newish rust free subframe, as well as a new OEM oil pan which will have to go on soon since I hear they're opening racetracks soon. I'm kinda dreading attempting to remove the oil pan with the engine inside the car still, since I'm breaking so many bolts as it is. I'm attacking them with liberal rust penetrant, and I know the oil pan bolts are barely torqued, but still, I don't need to make a slight leak worse.

Well anyway at least I got all the old owners decals and poo poo off and my new dress up on, I never did do a full rinse/wash of the exterior yet tho

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

simplefish posted:

Really, that's not the radiator? poo poo.

See how full your overflow is? That says the engine's been pressurizing the cooling system. Classic EZ30 symptom and yes it can build enough pressure to blow radiator hoses clean off or just plain fracture the radiator.

I know the jokes about EJ25's and head gaskets but the reality is that the majority will run for eons with metal head gaskets. An EZ30 on the other hand really is a ticking bomb - they simply have an under designed cooling system and most in the know will say they almost certainly need headgaskets if they haven't done them already.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Oh no that was just because I noticed the steam, looked in the engine bay, and found an empty coolant overflow bottle with spray marks evenly across both sides of the engine bay.

I was only a few minutes away from home when it happened, so I thought I'd give it loads of coolant to drink and chance it. The clip is from when I pulled over to refill the coolant and it's just 2 seconds long because I was understandably in a hurry.

I've put almost 10% of the car's total mileage on it in the last 7 or so months, corona months included, which considering the car's 16 years old is quite a lot.

That's a good point about the engine pressurizing the coolant system and fracturing the radiator though, it does seem like the radiator let go suddenly.

How would you check for coolant in the oil?
Oil's a pretty good medium brown on the dipstick, no milkshake on the filler cap. That's all I know to check.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

$1,199.99 :stare:

Is there any particular reason you need something like this as opposed to a floor jack and 4 jack stands? I recently bought a full set which is a lot cheaper at $170 and has a higher lifting capacity at 3 tons as opposed to 5000 lbs [2.5 tons]. Yes, the capacity is overkill for most Subarus but at least you have the option of lifting something heavier.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Torin-Black-Steel-Hydraulic-Jack-Stand/50281825
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Torin-Black-Steel-Manual-Jack-Stand/50273053

One reason I could see needing that portable car lift is if you don't have space to operate and wheel the floor jack between each end of the car. Something that caught me off guard, but shouldn't have been surprised at, when using the jack set while replacing a driveshaft is that the floor jack is a heavy mofo and there is no good place to grab and lift it to quickly move it about if you're in tight quarters. Still, even under a grand is still a quite a bit to ask for and the only other justification I can see to get it is if you need to get a car in the air and back on the ground very quickly.

Edward IV fucked around with this message at 16:29 on May 16, 2020

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

simplefish posted:

How would you check for coolant in the oil?
Oil's a pretty good medium brown on the dipstick, no milkshake on the filler cap. That's all I know to check.

You wont get either. Yes I know this doesn't make sense and drove me crazy trying to prove it but the head gasket will usually fail at the water galleries so all you get it is engine gasses being forced between the gasket and mating surfaces - That's how the cooling system over pressurizes. A testing kit that checks for excess carbons in the coolant will show it, or keep the cap off and look for air bubbles coming out at regular intervals.

quote:

Is there any particular reason you need something like this as opposed to a floor jack and 4 jack stands? I recently bought a full set which is a lot cheaper at $170 and has a higher lifting capacity at 3 tons as opposed to 5000 lbs [2.5 tons]. Yes, the capacity is overkill for most Subarus but at least you have the option of lifting something heavier.

It gets the car up higher and safer than a normal jack / stands. Really drat good for doing stuff like gearboxes

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 13:58 on May 16, 2020

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

I see people at the track with these and they do seem real nice for switching wheels/tires quickly. For regular use I’d rather just have a jack and stands though.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Be sure to check the measurements as they have a few different sizes.

I think they're well liked

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Super late to this. Buy those aren't pin stands at all.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Has anyone ever done the oil pan/oil pan gasket job on the EJ253 with it inside the engine bay? I've read it can be done without removing the exhaust components by just loosening the motor mounts and lifting the engine like an inch and snaking in with a u joint ratchet, but it looks insanely tight from my look just now. I'd prefer to not buy more gaskets and leave the exhaust intact if I can.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

Has anyone ever done the oil pan/oil pan gasket job on the EJ253 with it inside the engine bay? I've read it can be done without removing the exhaust components by just loosening the motor mounts and lifting the engine like an inch and snaking in with a u joint ratchet, but it looks insanely tight from my look just now. I'd prefer to not buy more gaskets and leave the exhaust intact if I can.

Yep I just did it a few weeks ago. All I had to do was undo the two engine mount nuts and Jack it up a little and use a 1/4" ratchet, extension and ujoint with a short 10mm socket.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

You wont get either. Yes I know this doesn't make sense and drove me crazy trying to prove it but the head gasket will usually fail at the water galleries so all you get it is engine gasses being forced between the gasket and mating surfaces - That's how the cooling system over pressurizes. A testing kit that checks for excess carbons in the coolant will show it, or keep the cap off and look for air bubbles coming out at regular intervals.

drat it. Thanks for the explanation.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Edward IV posted:

$1,199.99 :stare:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Torin-Black-Steel-Hydraulic-Jack-Stand/50281825
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Torin-Black-Steel-Manual-Jack-Stand/50273053

One reason I could see needing that portable car lift is if you don't have space to operate and wheel the floor jack between each end of the car. Something that caught me off guard, but shouldn't have been surprised at, when using the jack set while replacing a driveshaft is that the floor jack is a heavy mofo and there is no good place to grab and lift it to quickly move it about if you're in tight quarters. Still, even under a grand is still a quite a bit to ask for and the only other justification I can see to get it is if you need to get a car in the air and back on the ground very quickly.

I swear to god, those were on sale discounted to $999 last night! Guess I caught them on the last few minutes of the discount.

Was thinking about getting them for my dad as a birthday present, but that'll have to wait, it seems.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

shy boy from chess club posted:

Yep I just did it a few weeks ago. All I had to do was undo the two engine mount nuts and Jack it up a little and use a 1/4" ratchet, extension and ujoint with a short 10mm socket.

Nice, thanks. I need to do my oil pan eventually, too. I was living at an apartment at one point, snow was on the ground, I made the mistake of going to Jiffy Lube. Bent my oil pan so much it needs to be on stands to get leverage to tighten it down. I've been having to pay shop prices for it ever since.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Quickjacks are great for when you don't have the space/even floor/thick enough floor for a conventional lift. You can lift on pretty much every sort of surface as long as it's not on a slope and you put something under the jacks (I have thick plywood that I use when lifting the car on gravel.). They lift higher than the conventional jack/jackstand combo, but the biggest advantage is (especially in modern cars) that you are lifting in one spot per corner. Many new cars only have one factory approved jacking point per corner, and they are often not wide enough for both the jack and jackstand to fit. Also, lifting the whole car and having it level is much nicer, especially when changing fluids. Tire rotations/swaps is also a breeze. It's an expensive bit of kit, but with the discounts that seem regular in the US, it's easily worth it. In Europe though, getting accessories is a bit of a pig with insane shipping costs even for small stuff.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

03 Outback, automatic E4AT.

It started pissing ATF really bad recently. Saw a superfund-worthy size puddle under it (running a bit out from under the car) when I left work this morning. Usually it leaves a decent puddle, but nothing like that. Realized I sat in the car with it idling (super humid outside, and no AC at work at night) for my lunch, so... ~30 minutes of idling.

Looked under it. No dripping. Started the car. Immediate dripping around the transmission filter.

I changed the filter 6 months ago. It started puking fluid about 2 months ago. The filter is tight enough that I can't move it by hand, and it's the exact same part number Carquest filter that came off of it. I just checked the old filter, and it still has its gasket.

Ideas? Do I just need to hulk on it? Do I need to yank it and wire-brush the mating surface? Or did I just get a poo poo filter that wound up leaking? I wiped ATF on the gasket before installation.

I'm gonna guess the answer is "get an OEM filter".... that's not an option at the moment since I've just emptied my savings account to move on top of taking a week off of work tho, I just need to slow the draining of the swamp ATF until I get some paychecks coming in again

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 18:43 on May 17, 2020

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Take the filter off and make sure there's no gunk on the mating surface, if the gaskets are the same diameter maybe try the old one in case the new one has some flaw in it? Also, from memory the ATF should be a cherry red, that looks way too dark to be only 6mo fluid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Yea are you sure that's not oil leaking above the filter somewhere? The only thing I can think of that's up that high is the back of the head gasket though or maybe an oil galley welsh plug. I'll have to look at one of the heads I have to see what's around there.

E: looks like the only thing in the back is the cam cover

Oil pressure comes in top right above the pulley and drains are at the bottom so probably not the gasket

shy boy from chess club fucked around with this message at 22:00 on May 17, 2020