Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dielectric
May 3, 2010

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Loctite on the little allen screw that holds the bearing on helps.

I don't think that helps when the bearings spit their guts out and the outer race goes walkabout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

taqueso posted:

They do cover craftsman warranty stuff

Yes, they do. They only had 12 point sockets in 1/2" drive, but they replaced it. It was a bigger pain in the rear end than at Sears stores back in the day. They want your driver's license, they need to make a gift card that they'll use immediately... Sears was just in and out.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Loctite on the little allen screw that holds the bearing on helps.

Not when the bearing itself physically fails and falls to pieces.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Bob Mundon posted:

Was able to snag this for $89, how'd I do for a first router purchase?

https://slickdeals.net/f/14037095-ymmv-lowes-metabo-hitachi-router-with-plunge-base-on-clearance

Any recommendations for budget router bits and are 1/2" preferable?

I also picked this up along with the 10" sliding miter saw for $149. I haven't used either one yet.

E: I also picked up a 7 1/4 metabo circ saw that was on sale for $69.

ThirstyBuck fucked around with this message at 01:05 on May 14, 2020

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

n0tqu1tesane posted:

I've got a kit like that, and I've had the bearing on one of the bits come apart on me while using it, but otherwise they've been fine.

Plus, the bearings are mostly interchangeable, so it's not a huge deal.

I've had that happen on name-brand bits too. It almost always happened when resin would accumulate between the bearing and the spacer or shaft itself and with eventual heat, lock the bearing. Basically, pine. :argh:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

kid sinister posted:

Yes, they do. They only had 12 point sockets in 1/2" drive, but they replaced it. It was a bigger pain in the rear end than at Sears stores back in the day. They want your driver's license, they need to make a gift card that they'll use immediately... Sears was just in and out.

Yeah usually Sears fishes in the bin behind the counter and gives you one.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
God dammit. At least the fan part is only $14 shipped, but how the hell did the blades decide to up and gain their freedom?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I had an 80s Pace desoldering station (PPS-5) and recently replaced it with a Hakko FR-301 when I was no longer able to source tips for it. The little Hakko works gangbusters for PCBs of all kinds.

The Japanese models on eBay are a lot cheaper than if you buy them here.

Just found one locally on CL. Hopefully gonna pick it up tomorrow.
Guy is an electronics repair man and has a ton of other stuff but I think I'm gonna just stick with the FR-301 for now. If I wanted to spend $600 I'd just get a Pace desoldering station.

coathat
May 21, 2007

devmd01 posted:

God dammit. At least the fan part is only $14 shipped, but how the hell did the blades decide to up and gain their freedom?

Same thing happened to me last month no idea why

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Dielectric posted:

I don't think that helps when the bearings spit their guts out and the outer race goes walkabout.

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Not when the bearing itself physically fails and falls to pieces.
:stare: I guess I have never had that particular problem! Usually it's been the screw loosening and the bearing falling off. That would wake you up in a hurry.

Mr. Mambold posted:

I've had that happen on name-brand bits too. It almost always happened when resin would accumulate between the bearing and the spacer or shaft itself and with eventual heat, lock the bearing. Basically, pine. :argh:
That makes sense. And yeah, gently caress pine and heartpine in particular :argh:

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

devmd01 posted:

Did that orange impeller come off the shaft?

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Could anyone recommend Pelican-style cases at not-Pelican prices? They don't need to be waterproof, just sturdy enough to function as tool boxes. Something in the neighbourhood of 15" long x 6" wide x 8" tall, or slightly larger.

There are so many freaking options online and it's tough to say what's even halfway decent without handling them in person.

edit: changed my mind about the dimensions.

Trabant fucked around with this message at 05:35 on May 14, 2020

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Trabant posted:

Could anyone recommend Pelican-style cases at not-Pelican prices? They don't need to be waterproof, just sturdy enough to function as tool boxes. Something in the neighbourhood of 15" long x 6" wide x 8" tall, or slightly larger.

There are so many freaking options online and it's tough to say what's even halfway decent without handling them in person.

edit: changed my mind about the dimensions.

Not really Pelican but $17
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B6K4V80/
There's a $40 ish waterproof version.

If you want waterproof in that size, Rigid makes one for about $29 https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-22-in-Pro-Organizer-Black-222571/205440492

Monoprice makes some Pelican style ones called Pure Outdoor at various sizes and prices.
https://www.monoprice.com/pages/weatherproof

Harbor Freight has a line of cases called Apache
.https://www.harborfreight.com/3800-Weatherproof-Protective-Case-Large-Black-63927.html

I had been looking at all this last week, and I went with the Rigid myself.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 06:14 on May 14, 2020

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Did that orange impeller come off the shaft?

Nope, it underwent normal disassembly instead of rapid and unplanned. the blades straight up shattered off of it when I fired it up during normal use. It looks like there have been multiple revisions to the part so maybe they figured out that this was happening.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I just got an oscillating multitool for the first time and have already used it like 5 times why haven’t I always had one?!

Cutting Formica/laminate still sucks, but this thing does a pretty good job at it with a semi-circular sawblade thing.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I discovered that a multitool is surprisingly good at removing undercoating and tar insulation on a floor. It's not a 100% complete job but it gets 90% up.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I just got an oscillating multitool for the first time and have already used it like 5 times why haven’t I always had one?!

Cutting Formica/laminate still sucks, but this thing does a pretty good job at it with a semi-circular sawblade thing.

I hear everyone say this, and then the jobs they say are so much easier with it are things I've never had to do.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Thank you! I think HF is the winner -- I like having the foam inserts, and the price is just right for the size.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

more falafel please posted:

I hear everyone say this, and then the jobs they say are so much easier with it are things I've never had to do.

I use mine all the drat time. It's amazing for cutting drywall, trimming doorjams when installing wood flooring, sanding in really odd places, and the scraper is incredibly useful.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I snagged a never used Hakko FR-300 desoldering gun and Fluke 87v for $400 form this guy on craigslist. How did I do?

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.
These oscillating blades aren't bad- I'm not going to pay $35 for 3 Bosch blades:

https://www.amazon.com/HOTBEST-Oscillating-Professional-Universal-Multimaster/dp/B078YRPPQL?ref_=ast_sto_dp

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Also, plunge cutting. I needed to cutout a small square in the center of plywood subfloor the other day, and the o-multitool handled it easily. Nothing else would've worked with the clearances I had.

It works so well for drywall that I cringe when I see someone using something as inaccurate and brutish as a jab-saw to tear ugly holes. I like not patching drywall, so the cleaner and more accurate I can cut it, the better.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

in anticipation of buying a house I found a deal on a ryobi ocilating tool(only) for 49 bux and snagged it. They fuckin in the 2 weeks I've owned a house i've used it muptliple times.
Most notably it made quick work of making a hole for a double gang box, and easily cut down some closetmaid wire rack shelving and the main bracket to fit into a closet it wouldn't have worked in.

My only advice is get some batting gloves or something kuz it shakes the poo poo out of your hands. And I quickly grabbed some earpro for the rattling metal on the shelves I was cutting.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'll second the hand/ear protection but I've had good luck using a HF bolt cutter on that wire shelving.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I didn't have bolt cutters I had an oscillating tool with a metal blade, so thats what I used :p

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Let's chat miter saws. I'll be tacking a variety of moulding, rough carpentry, and small construction projects. Thus far I've managed by borrowing an old Craftsman miter from my dad, but I'd like to invest in one for myself to reduce the time spent having to borrow one, and to hopefully have a batter quality saw. Budget $400-500 would be ideal, but I could probably go as high as $600.

I've looked at the Makita 1018 and 1019L, Metabo HPT-C10FSHCM, or the Hercules from HF. I like that the Metabo has a few features that bring it closer to the Makita 1019L at a better price point for me, and the Hercules saves the most $$, but I have an aversion to most electrical tools from HF.

Any recommendations? Having touched these four in the store, I find the horizontal grip more comfortable than the vertical on the 1018, which has me leaning towards the 1019L at the top of my budget. The Metabo seems to have most of the features of the 1019 at a much more attractive price, but I've been a huge fan of Makita tools in the cordless world. Plus the saw will live on a shelf at about chest height on a wall when not in use, so weight and depth are a moderate concern.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I've got a bunch of duplicate and mismatched wrenches and pliers and etc. I already have too many in my garage and too many in my car. What's the best way to get rid of them?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
FWIW When AvE did a breakdown of the Makita 10" miter it was overbuilt for the price and had very low slop.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

DeWalt makes good chop saws. I have whatever their sliding compound miter saw is and it’s great. I would expect a Makita to be just as good. My old boss had a Ridgid that wasn’t very rigid and it would drive me crazy.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

PitViper posted:

Let's chat miter saws.

That metabo was just on sale for $149. I snagged one but havent used it yet. May be worthwhile to check around to see if it is still available at that price.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

FogHelmut posted:

I've got a bunch of duplicate and mismatched wrenches and pliers and etc. I already have too many in my garage and too many in my car. What's the best way to get rid of them?

Just put it up on Facebook marketplace or Craigslist. I'm sure someone will liberate them.

coathat
May 21, 2007

If you don’t need it immediately wait till the Father’s Day sales come out and you’ll probably get a better deal on a miter saw

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

FogHelmut posted:

I know absolutely nothing about you random internet person.

Do you have a son, nephew, or friend with son who is old enough to be getting a car? Or be interested in things that might require tools?
My nephew is in College, and just got a car a bit over a year ago. I got rid of some redundant tools with a bag, along with some other poo poo to him for Jesus Day.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

taqueso posted:

I'd like to remove the factory paint from some car wheels. Are paint strippers that claim to be able to remove epoxy and polyurethane basically the same across brands? Any recommended brands?

Alternately I could have them media blasted or do a bunch of sanding

e: I found a partial jug of methylene chloride, which was banned from paint strippers. Does that mean it's really good stuff?

The partial jug of methylene chloride was kinda dry but the snot ball worked pretty good where i could get it to stay on the surface. Much faster than the new stripper. I watched some videos of car painting and several times they talk about methylene chloride aircraft grade stripper being the preferred type for the epoxy and urethane paints on the cars (videos were from the 80s/90s though). I got down to the primer most places and through it in others. I had to decide if I wanted to buy more chemical stripper and decided to get a 20gal compressor instead. I've been blasting them with coarse walnut shells and that is working pretty nicely. The epoxy primer is durable poo poo though.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

wesleywillis posted:

I know absolutely nothing about you random internet person.

Do you have a son, nephew, or friend with son who is old enough to be getting a car? Or be interested in things that might require tools?
My nephew is in College, and just got a car a bit over a year ago. I got rid of some redundant tools with a bag, along with some other poo poo to him for Jesus Day.

That's how I ended up with all this crap! Four 11/16 sockets. Three stubby flathead screwdrivers. Various wrenches of uncommon sizes,, some of small manufacturers long past - Cleveland Folder, Fuller, aCen-tech, TRW, and a lone 7/16 Snap On. Multiple 3/8" Craftsman USA ratchets.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
You guys are doing it all wrong. You're supposed to dump everything in a cardboard box and write $1/each on the side with a sharpie, then every year on tag sale day put it on your font lawn next to the 200 lbs. of baby clothes and the Dell from 2003.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Don't get me started on baby clothes.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

So about the compressor I bought: https://www.harborfreight.com/20-gallon-16-hp-135-psi-oil-lube-vertical-air-compressor-64857.html

I used it for an hour or so and the oil is cloudy and darker, I assume I should flush that. But, should I do more? For example, will the tank come with a coating on the inside? It has 'drain the tank or face the rust monster' warning stickers on it. I have all the stuff to coat the inside with rust treatments and epoxy or epoxy primer. Maybe I should rebuild it right away?

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
I have never changed the oil (pretty sure its blacker than vantablack) on my 15y old HF compressor and just drain the air after every use. I think you are way overthinking a compressor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Maybe I've been reading too many "make sure you take apart your HF <tool> and clean out the sand they call grease and replace with good grease so it will last more than a month" posts.

I just want to ensure it will be a trusted friend and not a future headache.

taqueso fucked around with this message at 22:43 on May 18, 2020