Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Ten or so chapters per route is what I was pining for anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
This new manga comes across as rather smug doesn't it?

Spending the majority of it explaining how special and amazing you have to be in order to be allowed to run in Jump.
For a manga that is currently running into jump, that comes across as really smug imo.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

That WNL chapter wasn't so bad, but the people still demand justice for Sekijou.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Mulderman posted:

This new manga comes across as rather smug doesn't it?

Spending the majority of it explaining how special and amazing you have to be in order to be allowed to run in Jump.
For a manga that is currently running into jump, that comes across as really smug imo.

Isn't that the reality of Shonen Jump though? It's really cutthroat and competitive.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?

Hypocrisy posted:

Isn't that the reality of Shonen Jump though? It's really cutthroat and competitive.

It is, but spending the majority of your first chapter pointing that out over and over again, kinda rubbed me the wrong way.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it was an exaggeration based on how lovely this guy's output was combined with a callous, arrogant editor. for every mediocre new sj series there are dozens if not hundreds of much worse rejects. presumably some hidden gems get passed over as well, but that's not what was happening here.

the interesting part is how while his editor was a jerk, he was also right. why should he read the third submission from the same guy in as many days, when the first two were so bad? what could possibly change in 24 hours? it took a literal miracle for this guy to bring in something good.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Huh, after being super meh about the first two, I am actually liking the third chapter of Bone Collector. Both of the main protagonist are at their best when they are being total idiots and this chapter was basically nothing but that. But it really should just hurry up and decide if it wants to focus on being comedy about dumb-asses (its biggest strength IMHO) a battle shonen (meh) or romcom full of fanservice and pervy jokes (please no), because it doesn't do very good job at juggling all three at once.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think it takes on a different context when considering that Tsunehiro Date's previous two Jump manga were also cancelled early on.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I think it's interesting but it's kinda hard to feel too bad for the MC when he's literally stealing someone else's work. Still though, it's a more interesting concept than the last few series to get picked up.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Fabricated posted:

I think it's interesting but it's kinda hard to feel too bad for the MC when he's literally stealing someone else's work. Still though, it's a more interesting concept than the last few series to get picked up.

Well to be fair to the guy, he does not know he is doing that right now. He thought it was a dream and by extension something he came up with.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

New Juju

Our boy yuuji is not just a really good punchman

He almost might be Aizen.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Fabricated posted:

I feel like if the series is good enough, there could totally be a running theme of artistic integrity vs "I'm going to become homeless"

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Rigged Death Trap posted:

New Juju

Our boy yuuji is not just a really good punchman

I love the implication that he might have his own technique.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

He's Tsukishima from the fullbringer arc.

You're going to accept that friend request

Fabricated posted:

I love the implication that he might have his own technique.
It could be a curse from his grandfather. Whose dying words were for Yuji to die surrounded by friends. Both Gojo and Sukuna have made it clear that Yuji doesn't have any innate techniques and at best; Gojo thinks that Sukuna's techniques might rub off on Yuji thanks to the possession.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Agronox posted:

WNL: lol, the four Rizu fans out there were probably losing their minds when Sensei out of nowhere! Here to steal Ogata's chapters now that Sekijou's gone! but I guess all's well that ends well.

Rizu :3:

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I don't know if anyone's reading Summer Time Rendering on Mangaplus, but I started it on a whim today and haven't been able to put it down at all. Pretty compelling stuff.

kidcoelacanth fucked around with this message at 00:52 on May 18, 2020

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I hope Bone Collection keeps up the "early Bleach but full of funny morons who are bad at being horny" energy it has going.

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019

Roth posted:

I feel like if the series is good enough, there could totally be a running theme of artistic integrity vs "I'm going to become homeless"

It could, but the guy's parents do seem willing to just support him at home too.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

super-redguy posted:

It could, but the guy's parents do seem willing to just support him at home too.

That's quite common now

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Mori King: A new challenger approaches and is swiftly defeated. It's quite funny.

Mashle Shows a serious side and that he believes in equal opportunity rear end kicking. This series is good. Te magia Lupus look like a fun challenge.

Bone collection. I was ready to drop it after this chapter, but as other said, this is quite funny once they got to school. So I guess I'll stick around for now.

Agravity Boys Apparently, the HB isn't the only one who realizes that everyone is a screw up.

We never learn As far as Rizu is concerned this is probably the best we could hope for. I wonder who's next.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Darth TNT posted:

Agravity Boys Apparently, the HB isn't the only one who realizes that everyone is a screw up.

Luo knows the strongest fighting style.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Brought To You By posted:

It could be a curse from his grandfather. Whose dying words were for Yuji to die surrounded by friends. Both Gojo and Sukuna have made it clear that Yuji doesn't have any innate techniques and at best; Gojo thinks that Sukuna's techniques might rub off on Yuji thanks to the possession.

This is great please be this

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Has Mangadex been loading really slowly lately for anyone else?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

RatHat posted:

Has Mangadex been loading really slowly lately for anyone else?

Mangarock died, and everybody being stuck at home is doing hell on their servers.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/shonenjump/status/1263155826732208129

Oh hey.

The Shogeki no Souma team is back.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
um, jesus christ, kemono jihen

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

The whole arc has been really weird in tone. I know the characters aren’t human but it’s really weird how they just accept the concept of human farms right away.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

RatHat posted:

The whole arc has been really weird in tone. I know the characters aren’t human but it’s really weird how they just accept the concept of human farms right away.

Nothing to accept when it's part of their status quo. Although it doesn't make it any less creepy that the Buff Oni is basically doting over his favorite pig in the slaughterhouse, except it's a person. And then there is everything related to Robara which is... :stonk: This is the most "these aren't humans" arc so far but through all of this, Kabane continues to be a good boy. I'm interested to see what Nobimaru is going to do in retaliation.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

World Trigger is so good. Finally catching up on all the chapters that have been released since the indefinite hiatus ended a while back.

The author created this setting that doesn't really make much sense, but is specifically tailored to organizing interesting group battles. He provides a relatively consistent set of well-defined tools everyone shares, so he can make the battles end in ways that logically make sense given the "pieces" in play. The setting is basically "gamified," which has weird implications about the broader setting/plot, but works very well for the actual action. The protagonist's role is also very logical and seems pretty unusual for a shounen magazine; he very explicitly uses a strategy that involves empowering his stronger teammates, because there's no magical way for him to "level up" into being able to fight on the level of the best people.

I also enjoy the large cast; it's neat how you end up getting familiar with this huge group of people. None of the B-rank and up people really feel like no-name "NPC" characters.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Have they gone back to the intresting "Other worlds are coming to kick our asses!" thing or is it still that boring training arc?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the main group's tournament run just ended but they're still wrapping up the side characters' stuff

I don't think it's been boring but it sure does feel like there's been more of this than the whole rest of the series now. like I barely remember what the plot was before they started

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Manatee Cannon posted:

the main group's tournament run just ended but they're still wrapping up the side characters' stuff

I don't think it's been boring but it sure does feel like there's been more of this than the whole rest of the series now. like I barely remember what the plot was before they started

I'm pretty sure this is true, but I don't really mind because I enjoy the battles and the rank battles are a good excuse to throw different characters at each other.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the rank battles are okay, but the two neighbor invasions were some premium fuckin' shounen manga.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I like how World Trigger doesn't really have much in the way of villains, even in the alien invasion arcs, so much as people with opposing goals. Hyrein and Enedra are the only characters I'd really call "evil," and Enedra quickly ends up on the protagonists' side. It's also a clever idea to have the characters explicitly trying to capture each other alive most of the time, and giving them powers explicitly designed to keep them alive when the lose, as opposed to the standard shonen convention (seen especially in Bleach) that the characters are trying to kill each other but are really bad at it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the rank battles are okay, but the two neighbor invasions were some premium fuckin' shounen manga.

Yeah, those parts were great, but the rank battles still work very well if you think of it like a sports manga. It's fun to get to know all these players and have them using the same general tool-set against one another (as opposed to the black triggers, though those conflicts were interesting in their own way). This manga is basically like a sports manga where occasionally the sports have to be used in life and death clashes with invaders. So basically it's like the movie Space Jam.

Unrelated to the above, but I'm a little confused by Hyuse's characterization. When he joins the team he's like "WE'RE NOT FRIENDS" but he's generally pretty friendly after that and is fist-bumping Chika/Kuga and stuff. He clashes with Osamu once in a situation where no one took offense and Osamu basically constructively takes the criticism.

Now that we're basically at the end of the rank battles (I think this recent one was the last one), it'll be interesting to see how the away mission goes. Apparently Border is planning on imprisoning Hyuse before they arrive at Aftokrater, and Osamu/Kuga/Chika obviously aren't going to be cool with that. It'll also be interesting to learn more about some of the neighbors. It seems like only Aftokrater is clearly some sort of antagonist, and even then it's sort of hinted that Hyuse's lord is a fairly stand-up guy.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I think the main problem with the rank battles is the hiatus plus the switch to a slower update cycle. makes it feel like it's lasted longer than it really has in the actual narrative

reading it all after the fact will prob flow better

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
aftokrator desperately needs chika as a sacrifice. letting hyuse run around free on his home turf would be deeply stupid. the dude doesn't even pretend to have switched loyalties to earth.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Well not for nothing but I think Paradox Ghostwriter aquitted itself from it's first chapter quite well. Here's to the next one.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

ConanThe3rd posted:

Well not for nothing but I think Paradox Ghostwriter aquitted itself from it's first chapter quite well. Here's to the next one.

Viz

MangaPlus

It all depends on the next chapter.

Agravity Boys

Viz

MangaPlus

Our own version of the Jeopardy Greatest of All Time Championship. RIP Chris, forced to straight man solo since Volk decided to go along with the flow.

Hypocrisy fucked around with this message at 18:06 on May 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Good lord the MC of that Ghoul School one shot is a straight up groomer.