Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
like that tommy james tune, towing the line

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

MononcQc posted:

recursive 39 minutes ago [-]
You mean like how domestic violence is just consequences for the victim's behavior?

wow wtf

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
You see you don’t abuse your partner because you’re a nice person, not because they don’t deserve it

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Xik posted:

wow wtf

pretty big yikes even by hn standards

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the end of the north sea money train is gonna devastate public finance in the uk

it's going to be hilarious in a very sad way

edit: nope i looked it up and they already essentially canceled the taxes and voluntarily went without billions of pounds because tories or something idk

Hey I mean, the UK was going to get universal fibre rollout from BT in the mid-80s, but Thatcher wanted to get private companies in on it too.

The UK overlords never pass up an opportunity to deny the public welfare systems wealth, or gently caress over poor people (or more usually both)

salisbury shake
Dec 27, 2011
eganist 9 hours ago [-]

At risk of sounding absolutely insane:

There's probably no way to prove that this hasn't happened. Anyone who realizes they're not aging normally would likely have taken on a new identity elsewhere for fear of:

1. being burned at the stake

2. being trialed in repeated experiments

3. being deified, and then subsequently being burned at the stake.

---

I realize my comment sounds like a joke, but I'm entirely serious. If you or I found out we're not aging normally and look e.g. 25 by the time we reach 40, or 30 by the time we reach 45, would either of us remain in our current lives?

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
wow somebody just watched teen vampire movies

mystes
May 31, 2006

Arcteryx Anarchist posted:

wow somebody just watched teen vampire movies
Stephenie Meyer testing out the plot of her first new Twilight book in ten years on (checks notes) Hacker News.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

late2part 33 minutes ago [-]

Firing someone if they don't do something is not forcing them. It shouldn't raise to duress in my opinion

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
it’s great when you know someone’s opinion on rape already without having to raise the question

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Arcteryx Anarchist posted:

it’s great when you know someone’s opinion on rape already without having to raise the question

well they don’t really care about asking questions nor their answers so it’s on brand

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

xwdv 1 hour ago [–]

I feel that rather than blogging, more people should write comments. I’ve never written one blog article, but I’ve written a novel worth of comments over the years. A comment IMO is more pure and true, and is created out of a strong desire to say something, rather than for some other extrinsic motivation.
My problem with blogging is that I can’t just write in a vacuum, I must always write in response to something and when I have something worth responding too I can write more usefully

mystes
May 31, 2006

As an elite HN poster, I feel that rather than doings things other people do, more people should do things I do, because things I do are more pure and true (as proven by the fact that I do them) and I don't like doing other things.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
it’s particularly important that people recognize that the amount of thought and effort that i put into things is the right amount, while any greater consideration or research probably indicates some sort of mental disease

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

the most pure reason to do something: to pat yourself on the back for thinking youre smarter than someone else and anonymously correcting them in comments on a web blog

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

MononcQc posted:

xwdv 1 hour ago [–]

I feel that rather than blogging, more people should write comments. I’ve never written one blog article, but I’ve written a novel worth of comments over the years. A comment IMO is more pure and true, and is created out of a strong desire to say something, rather than for some other extrinsic motivation.
My problem with blogging is that I can’t just write in a vacuum, I must always write in response to something and when I have something worth responding too I can write more usefully

It’s better to make quips while you consume instead of trying to go anywhere beyond that

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
some day they will print and bind my novel worth of shitposts, like a work of fine literature

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
as a poster I’m basically in the same ranks as Dostoyevsky

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Ask HN: How do I cope knowing people make more than me on onlyfans?
16 points by brutal_assault 5 hours ago | hide | past | web | favorite | 20 comments
My cousin has been on only fans since the start and she’s making almost 10k a month, she has not put in 1% of the effort I have in life and it’s making me depressed. I know money isnt everything but it’s one of the biggest parts in quality of life and I feel like I wasted my time going to university, interview prepping etc when I could have just dressed up and showed the occasional cleavage
Edit: just so I make it clear, I don’t hate her for it. I just have a hard to accepting it but i guess life isn’t fair.

mystes
May 31, 2006

fritz posted:

16 points by brutal_assault 5 hours ago | hide | past | web | favorite | 20 comments
My cousin has been on only fans since the start and she’s making almost 10k a month, she has not put in 1% of the effort I have in life and it’s making me depressed. I know money isnt everything but it’s one of the biggest parts in quality of life and I feel like I wasted my time going to university, interview prepping etc when I could have just dressed up and showed the occasional cleavage
Edit: just so I make it clear, I don’t hate her for it. I just have a hard to accepting it but i guess life isn’t fair.
Weird, there are so many worse people out there and yet this may be the first time I've actually felt like I would pay for the opportunity to punch someone.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

mystes posted:

Weird, there are so many worse people out there and yet this may be the first time I've actually felt like I would pay for the opportunity to punch someone.

well theyve got the username for it

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
The poster: https://www.theonion.com/white-male-privilege-squandered-on-job-at-best-buy-1819576421

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

fritz posted:

HN posters: ```some of us``` are inherently more talented due to our inborn genetic gifts, and society should celebrate us. Nature sorts the successful from the unsuccessful and we should not interfere with this chain of being.

also HN posters: why does my hot cousin make more money than me it's not fair

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

in their infinite wisdom never once did they stop and think to research how long even a successful supermodel career lasts vs how long you can easily rack up the figgies at a computer toucher job

and what are your options after that career is done, if you did not want to marry some creepy rich guy

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Penisface posted:

in their infinite wisdom never once did they stop and think to research how long even a successful supermodel career lasts vs how long you can easily rack up the figgies at a computer toucher job

and what are your options after that career is done, if you did not want to marry some creepy rich guy

idk man, you can learn other skills while camming / posting lewds. It's not like you can't touch computers and touch yourself on cameras on the same day.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

papeda 1 hour ago [–]

I always rep Wikipedia's "random page" function [1]. Random page is especially useful if you are cooped up at home and can't access normal sources of randomness like close conversation with other people, the rustle of leaves in trees, sunlight filtering through passing clouds, etc.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Random

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

that is an all-timer

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
beep bop interactions with the outside world is just a source of randomness

mystes
May 31, 2006

Should have used /dev/urandom.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

no he had a crippling benzo addiction. getting off benzos can take upwards of a year and it is an unending hell of your own making

he probably thought the coma procedure was an easy way out

it sounds more like he got semi-kidnapped by his insane daughter lol
https://newrepublic.com/article/156829/happened-jordan-peterson

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

Improbable Lobster posted:

it sounds more like he got semi-kidnapped by his insane daughter lol
https://newrepublic.com/article/156829/happened-jordan-peterson

god drat

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

poor bastard. i wouldn't wish a 'wellness influencer' on anyone

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

danicgross 3 hours ago [–]

The cross-pollination effect of Couchsurfing is so powerful. I often wonder — how could you create a digital equivalent of this?
We let strangers into our homes, but not into our superuser shell. Why?

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

I legitimately have no idea what the gently caress that means. Someone please translate from "I haven't had human contact outside of HN in 10 years,"speak.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

SRQ posted:

I legitimately have no idea what the gently caress that means. Someone please translate from "I haven't had human contact outside of HN in 10 years,"speak.

i think it means "letting random strangers sleep on your couch is good for broadening your horizons, so how about letting random people install stuff on your computer for the same reasons"

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
:hmmyes: Chatroulette, but it connects random strangers to a root shell on your computer.

Let me pitch that for at least 50M in VC funding.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

it is a classic rms take.

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer
Tender embraces

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

NihilCredo posted:

The cross-pollination effect of Couchsurfing is so powerful. I often wonder — how could you create a digital equivalent of this?

holy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

NihilCredo posted:

I choose to believe that this is just really good satire