Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

All cars have buffers in the top and bottom, a computer controlled limit on how much you can charge/discharge the cells vs their chemical limits. The difference is where the limit is set. But there are other factors like cell chemistry and pack engineering that explains why the oldest Leafs degrade so badly, but there seems to be big difference among those as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

dissss posted:

It should have already dropped to 8 bars, it's around 66% with some lag depending on how the car is used.

No chance they'll replace the battery without updating the firmware first though - even if the dealer is incompetent Nissan isn't going to pay for a new battery without getting them to do the easy stuff first.

66% capacity left after 4 years? :stare: I have cell phones that last longer than that.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

Ola posted:

All cars have buffers in the top and bottom, a computer controlled limit on how much you can charge/discharge the cells vs their chemical limits. The difference is where the limit is set. But there are other factors like cell chemistry and pack engineering that explains why the oldest Leafs degrade so badly, but there seems to be big difference among those as well.

It also doesn't have decent thermal management.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

ClassH posted:

66% capacity left after 4 years? :stare: I have cell phones that last longer than that.
apparently it's something about the old Leaf batteries. I don't see other electric cars doing this poorly.

Whatever the cause of these issues isn't helped by lack of cooling

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 14:28 on May 15, 2020

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

Nitrox posted:

apparently it's something about the old Leaf batteries. I don't see other electric cars doing this poorly.

Whatever the cause of these issues isn't helped by lack of cooling

Old leafs for sure but 2016 isn't even that old.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Nitrox posted:

Chemistry, lack of cooling... i'm sure the shipment they had sitting out in the Arizona sun didn't help things, either.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

ClassH posted:

I read it as 2013. :stare: Indeed, I would be devastated. drat, I hope they will fix that under warranty.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

Elviscat posted:

How many miles/km do you have on your Leaf?

I am at 51k km.

My Leaf is from California, probably parked in the sun. The tires are all cracked on the outer edges.
Maybe thats why its so bad? They don't make the 30 kwh packs anymore - they may have been worse for wearing out.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

Squibbles posted:

Nissan used to include an option to stop charging the car once it hit 80% but they removed it in newer models. I assume they took it away because the advantage of doing so was negligible? Don't most cars do this optimization for you already? e.g. when it reads 100% the batteries are not literally at 100% there's some buffer room in there to maintain the battery health? Or am I spouting gibberish?

That said, we bought a 2015 leaf last year. It's got close to 60,000km on it and it's still got 12/12 bars. It was originally from Seattle and we bought it in Vancouver so it's lived a temperate life though.

2015 is the best of the 24kwh batteries though, so it makes sense that yours is still good. They changed the chemistry for yours (to degrade less), and for mine they changed the cathodes (for more capacity).

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I saw some things saying a replacement Leaf battery is $5500, but it looks like newer posts are saying $8500?

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

My aunt who had a 2013? 2014? originally got quoted 3k, then 5k, and later 6k. Nissan is going nuts on the price of replacement packs. She eventually just gave it to someone who was fine with a 40 mile vehicle.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
At this point its pretty random, depending on how much your dealer charges you for install. The latest guys on the Leaf Facebook groups paid 5.5k for the battery, and 1.5k for the install in january. They did get an 8 year 100k mile warranty in arizona. There is another guy with a 3 bar leaf in LA who was going to get it replaced but now there is quarantine.

People are getting their batteries replaced - just not very many of them. My family wouldn't fit in a new Leaf, so if I can get a 40 kwh old body style Ill be happy.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Rumor mill: https://electrek.co/2020/05/15/tesla-factory-austin-texas/

Austin Texas for cybertruck factory, which will also make Model Ys.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

ClassH posted:

That is also the model that shipped with firmware that misreported SoH as the battery ages. Once the firmware is updated at least some of that health (and also range) will come back.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

blindjoe posted:

People are getting their batteries replaced - just not very many of them. My family wouldn't fit in a new Leaf, so if I can get a 40 kwh old body style Ill be happy.

My impression is the dimensions are identical between the two generations of Leaf (which would make sense because it's essentially just a facelift)

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

blindjoe posted:

My family wouldn't fit in a new Leaf, so if I can get a 40 kwh old body style Ill be happy.

The interior dimensions are exactly the same except for the rear seats, which get an additional .2 inches of space

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

McPhearson posted:

The interior dimensions are exactly the same except for the rear seats, which get an additional .2 inches of space

Weird. I opened the doors and poked my head in one at the dealer and it seemed a lot tighter. Guess it was all bias to me wanting to like the one I already owned.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Westy543 posted:

Rumor mill: https://electrek.co/2020/05/15/tesla-factory-austin-texas/

Austin Texas for cybertruck factory, which will also make Model Ys.

Probably the only place that would be California enough to get engineers and poo poo to move to.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Another factory makes a lot of sense right now, definitely enough demand for two US factories, China, plus Germany.

*edit*
especially after the Musk pivot to MAGA chud

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
There is a bunch of rednecks on YouTube, who took an older Leaf and just pilled more batteries in the truck. Possibly from another Leaf.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

blindjoe posted:

2015 is the best of the 24kwh batteries though, so it makes sense that yours is still good. They changed the chemistry for yours (to degrade less), and for mine they changed the cathodes (for more capacity).

Interesting, I guess I lucked out a bit not having that knowledge when I bought it

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Wibla posted:

That first leg from Tromsø to Mosjøen was supposed to be 11 hours, ended up being 14 ... Not a trip I want to repeat, ever.
I drive for a living and I wouldn't want to do an 11 hour trip in an EV. All those charging stops aaaaaahhh

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Elon give me my Tesla

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Bum the Sad posted:

Elon give me my Tesla

If you wanted one quickly you shouldn't have ordered the poor person model. Elon doesn't give a poo poo about that one.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

CannonFodder posted:

I drive for a living and I wouldn't want to do an 11 hour trip in an EV. All those charging stops aaaaaahhh

In the weather I was driving in, I had no problems with the charge stops. I needed those breaks from concentrating on not dying.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Bum the Sad posted:

Elon give me my Tesla

They made white ones all week, and started making black cars on Friday! Plus some grey and blue.

They were only model X cars with non US license plate holders.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

MomJeans420 posted:

I saw some things saying a replacement Leaf battery is $5500, but it looks like newer posts are saying $8500?

They are now $8500.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Any insights on a 2017 Chevy Bolt? I'm looking at picking up a lower mile used one (say 40kish or less). I haven't bought a car in almost 20 years so I've got zero idea on what I'm doing here.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
If the LA office where I work opens again, I’ll want to drive up there instead of Amtrak/Subway. I was staying in LA for 3 days a week and the company paid for the train/hotel.

With the IRS auto rate being 57.5¢/mile, 4 RT’s a month would be $460/mo.

So lease a Hyundai Kona EV?

Oh and I wish VW would ship the ID3 here, but they won’t.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Flying_Crab posted:

Any insights on a 2017 Chevy Bolt? I'm looking at picking up a lower mile used one (say 40kish or less).
Decent car with okish tech and a bargain bin interior experience.

Specifically, the bells and whistles were really cool when it came out (built-in camera for the rearview mirror with the tech package, 360 overhead view, etc). The interior is all textured Chevy plastic with seats that were basically taken from the Sonic line.

Would probably be fine for a 30 minute commute or so.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Yeah, I live in a city and haven't owned a car for 2+ years, this is more or less due to Covid putting a damper on public transit/ride shares, that and some family circumstances that have me going back and forth a shortish distance out of the city now. So prolonged interior comfort/quality is fine. I'm more interested in the EV and tech parts than a luxury interior.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Flying_Crab posted:

I'm more interested in the EV and tech parts than a luxury interior.
Sure, but the interior is usually what detractors mark as the break point for the Bolt.

Edmunds has a review of the 2017 that basically says "Great car, good mileage, bad insides". It looks like the premium tech trim also lacks ACC so that may also be a concern. The 17 has a 60kWh battery and an option for DCFC.

As far as a zippy town car goes, it has enough range and space to get you around or get you through a short trip. Those are things that the EV Spark (small, range) and the i3 (range) fall short with.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

https://mobile.twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1262076474565242880

lol, he’s such a lovely person

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
one of the biggest complaints about early Bolts was that the seats were not comfortable

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Flying_Crab posted:

Yeah, I live in a city and haven't owned a car for 2+ years, this is more or less due to Covid putting a damper on public transit/ride shares, that and some family circumstances that have me going back and forth a shortish distance out of the city now. So prolonged interior comfort/quality is fine. I'm more interested in the EV and tech parts than a luxury interior.

Make absolutely sure it has the CCS fast charging option. I cannot believe a car with >100mi range was ever offered without it.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/lilly_wachowski/status/1262104754496339968?s=20

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Alameda opens full speed tomorrow. Give me my Tesla Elon.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Wow who would have known Musk is Transgender?

(In case anyone doesn't realize, the Matrix has a fuckton of Transgenger allegory in it and the red pill is one of the most notible in about discovering your true self. The fact MRA's have somehow decided one of the pivotal scenes in a movie made by transgender sisters is about them is truly loving poo poo. gently caress Musk with a rusty barbed wire dildo)

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

The heir to a South African emerald mine who fled the country as Apartheid was ending, who forced his wife (and probably his current girlfriend TBH) to do IVF in order to ensure all of his children were male, and the guy who said this to his first wife:

quote:

Still, there were warning signs. As we danced at our wedding reception, Elon told me, "I am the alpha in this relationship." I shrugged it off, just as I would later shrug off signing the postnuptial agreement, but as time went on, I learned that he was serious. He had grown up in the male-dominated culture of South Africa, and the will to compete and dominate that made him so successful in business did not magically shut off when he came home. This, and the vast economic imbalance between us, meant that in the months following our wedding, a certain dynamic began to take hold. Elon's judgment overruled mine, and he was constantly remarking on the ways he found me lacking. "I am your wife," I told him repeatedly, "not your employee."

"If you were my employee," he said just as often, "I would fire you."

Literally the only thing that shocks me about this is that he's become so egotistically inflated and narcissistic to admit it in public.

He sells lovely cars to rich liberals. I cannot wait to see what happens when they realize he's just Trump with less social aptitude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Savington posted:

The heir to a South African emerald mine who fled the country as Apartheid was ending, who forced his wife (and probably his current girlfriend TBH) to do IVF in order to ensure all of his children were male, and the guy who said this to his first wife:

Literally the only thing that shocks me about this is that he's become so egotistically inflated and narcissistic to admit it in public.

He sells lovely cars to rich liberals. I cannot wait to see what happens when they realize he's just Trump with less social aptitude.

Elon Musk 2040.