Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Maybe the race coverage will be better today as they don't have to strategically aim the cameras to not show the empty stands?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Maybe the race coverage will be better today as they don't have to strategically aim the cameras to not show the empty stands?

Maybe they'll super impose the iracing stands from now until eternity since that will be the only time the stands will be that full again.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
Wow it's so weird seeing the stands empty

e: oh wait this race is from 2019

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

CactusWeasle posted:

Wow it's so weird seeing the stands empty

e: oh wait this race is from 2019

Fish in a barrel.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
non NASCAR person here

im watching this whole race

god bles

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Been so long since i watched nascar took a pandemic to get me back in. Should break out the extenze gear

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Chinatown posted:

non NASCAR person here

im watching this whole race

god bles

but why....

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

lmao stenhouse out on the first lap

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

shame on an IGA posted:

Worth the trip for 2 corners.

SwampYankee
Mar 7, 2007

By the grace of God and 600 horsepower

shame on an IGA posted:

It's like NASCAR never went on hiatus

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

It would be pretty cool if they showed some racing instead of commercials... but it is Nascar.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
So what's with this "no mph display on pit entry"

We just playing guessing games now?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Shinjobi posted:

So what's with this "no mph display on pit entry"

We just playing guessing games now?

That's how it always is ;) just normally they get some practice laps and can get a feel for the pit road speed.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

That's how it always is ;) just normally they get some practice laps and can get a feel for the pit road speed.

Oh okay. I only brought it up due to commentary repeatedly bringing it up like it was something different today

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
lmao at the idiots melting down on social media about the drivers and crew wearing masks pre-race

Also the display is dots and rpms only I thought

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

shame on an IGA posted:

I couldn't figure out how to make this bet.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I am kind of surprised that they completely called out Kyle Larson for losing his ride at the beginning though... straight up said he used a racial slur during an iracing event and lost his ride to Matt.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420

Shinjobi posted:

Oh okay. I only brought it up due to commentary repeatedly bringing it up like it was something different today

The broadcast is definitely aimed at football fans

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

shame on an IGA posted:

nascar is truly back

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

Oh Johnson is bad now?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

The Croc posted:

Oh Johnson is bad now?

Looks like it.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/CBJSprague24/status/1262126192045539328/photo/1

The Croc posted:

Oh Johnson is bad now?

Part of it has been an abnormal slump by HMS but, with that wreck, the winless streak is now 100 races.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

CBJSprague24 posted:

https://twitter.com/CBJSprague24/status/1262126192045539328/photo/1

Part of it has been an abnormal slump by HMS but, with that wreck, the winless streak is now 100 races.

It's so great.

Also, I love that even with no fans hamlin still has a loving ziploc stuck to the front of his car.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
So Harvicks pit crew costs him on average 10 races a season.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Kennseth proving why he should have a ride if he wants one.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

You can imagine the Larson apologists raging that he's had a solid day.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

big nipples big life posted:

Kennseth proving why he should have a ride if he wants one.

That car has been loving death loose for 30+ laps and dude just keeps on loving trucking. I was never a kenseth fan, but that's some impressive driving period, much less with being the first time in the car.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Welp, there it went

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I am kind of surprised that they completely called out Kyle Larson for losing his ride at the beginning though... straight up said he used a racial slur during an iracing event and lost his ride to Matt.
I missed that part of the broadcast I guess. I thought it was weird when it was mentioned a few times what a "great story" it was with Matt getting this chance. I just kept thinking, great story? The dude that lost the ride was one of the most promising talents of late to get a shot a cup and lost it by saying the N-word. Whether they covered the actual story or not calling this chance for Kenseth a "great story" is loving weird. If you're Matt Kenseth I suppose it is probably pretty cool to get another shot at the ring but I don't know if I'd go as far as to say it's a great story.

iwentdoodie posted:

That car has been loving death loose for 30+ laps and dude just keeps on loving trucking. I was never a kenseth fan, but that's some impressive driving period, much less with being the first time in the car.
That was super impressive. I was never much of a Kenseth fan either but right before that last caution and he was sawing that wheel back and forth to hold on to 10th, that was pretty great. He had every excuse to pack it in and finish 15th with an ill handling car and he just kept wheeling. I know he's run some late model races and stuff but even 100 laps at a .5 mile track somewhere can't compare to 300 at Darlington with a car that loose and you haven't done it in 2 years.

My only complaint is that I know they cut 100 miles of this race but I have gotten so used to putting the iRaces on and zipping through them in like 1.5hrs I say cut another 100 miles off. Which I guess they did for Wed night right? 500km is 310 miles according to Google. That should be a pretty good race I'm hoping.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

bigbillystyle posted:

I missed that part of the broadcast I guess. I thought it was weird when it was mentioned a few times what a "great story" it was with Matt getting this chance. I just kept thinking, great story? The dude that lost the ride was one of the most promising talents of late to get a shot a cup and lost it by saying the N-word. Whether they covered the actual story or not calling this chance for Kenseth a "great story" is loving weird. If you're Matt Kenseth I suppose it is probably pretty cool to get another shot at the ring but I don't know if I'd go as far as to say it's a great story.

That was super impressive. I was never much of a Kenseth fan either but right before that last caution and he was sawing that wheel back and forth to hold on to 10th, that was pretty great. He had every excuse to pack it in and finish 15th with an ill handling car and he just kept wheeling. I know he's run some late model races and stuff but even 100 laps at a .5 mile track somewhere can't compare to 300 at Darlington with a car that loose and you haven't done it in 2 years.

My only complaint is that I know they cut 100 miles of this race but I have gotten so used to putting the iRaces on and zipping through them in like 1.5hrs I say cut another 100 miles off. Which I guess they did for Wed night right? 500km is 310 miles according to Google. That should be a pretty good race I'm hoping.

I wasn't a fan of reducing race lengths, but today did feel overly long in comparison to the iRacing events. I wouldn't mind seeing most everything short of the crown jewel events shortened going forward.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

So do the teams usually swap out pit crew members or are they usually the same crews from race to race?

Running 2 races a week is probably going to take a pretty big toll on the drivers and also the pit crews if they don't rotate.

I mean sure they do lots of practice and qualifying during the week so maybe it's not so crazy... might get some fun drama come June when these guys are not going to be getting much time to cool off after people dump them in the wall...

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

So do the teams usually swap out pit crew members or are they usually the same crews from race to race?

Running 2 races a week is probably going to take a pretty big toll on the drivers and also the pit crews if they don't rotate.

I mean sure they do lots of practice and qualifying during the week so maybe it's not so crazy... might get some fun drama come June when these guys are not going to be getting much time to cool off after people dump them in the wall...

Oh god I cannot wait for petulant KyBu and even more loving annoying chase.

Bowyer will remain drunk and his attitude will not change.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

iwentdoodie posted:

Him jumping in a car with setup notes for a guy that loves high lines and sketchy loose cars and still doing well was hugely impressive, especially at Darlington.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

This is cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B5AVSaY0bM

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

iwentdoodie posted:

It's so great.

Also, I love that even with no fans hamlin still has a loving ziploc stuck to the front of his car.

You don't need fans to have a poorly-placed adhesive sponsor banner peel off the wall at a track where wall contact is par for the course. :eng101:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

so like the empty stands didn't really make the race weird for me. The empty infield kind of felt weird though.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

This poo poo? This is cool NASCAR, do more of it. In Endurance Races they'll often have multiple onboards for 24hrs and it's cool as heck.

tater_salad posted:

so like the empty stands didn't really make the race weird for me. The empty infield kind of felt weird though.

Agreed, but also: The drone flying around like crazy also made it feel a bit weird too. I'm not a drone guy, but a friend told me it's probably because they could fly it around without fear of someone throwing something at it.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

CBJSprague24 posted:

You don't need fans to have a poorly-placed adhesive sponsor banner peel off the wall at a track where wall contact is par for the course. :eng101:

Blue Emu fired bubba, made larson say the n word, and then tried to take out multiple cars. It's amazing the impact they've had on the sport so far, tbh.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

algebra testes posted:

This poo poo? This is cool NASCAR, do more of it. In Endurance Races they'll often have multiple onboards for 24hrs and it's cool as heck.

Agreed, but also: The drone flying around like crazy also made it feel a bit weird too. I'm not a drone guy, but a friend told me it's probably because they could fly it around without fear of someone throwing something at it.

Also probably factoring in are unique camera angles they wouldn't otherwise have as you're not supposed to fly them over groups of people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

CBJSprague24 posted:

Also probably factoring in are unique camera angles they wouldn't otherwise have as you're not supposed to fly them over groups of people.

I thought it was OK here and there but I felt like they were throwing to it way too often just because they could and how long will they be able to do it? There was only 1 time where it actually peaked my interest and it was the drone flying down pit lane while the cars were under yellow going down the front stretch and the drone was keeping pace and all I thought was drat that drone is loving fast. I'm not in the drone game so that thing flying at pace speed was impressive to me anyway. I guess I still think of those things as like big kid toys that you take out during the BBQ to take a group photo and not the 45 mph flying, potentially weaponized death dealers that conspiracy theorists warned me about.