Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
finally researched the synthetics tech, after putting it off for a while since I'm a mostly organic empire.

get the popup to restore the Awoken from the saved databanks. go for it, little robo dudes!

check their empire screen, find I can make them a subsidiary, so sure, why not? could use a follower for my corporate empire.

Say, what section of space did they move to after setting off out of my empire, anyways? let's see where my new subsidiary is now.

THINGS ARE ABOUT TO GO QUITE AWRY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

how far does a governor reach, if I don't have sectors, does the one governor affect the entire empire or what?

The Governor's jurisdiction is everything up to 4 hyperlanes from the sector capital. You'll need to create more sectors to hire more governors for anything outside that range.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

And Tyler Too! posted:

The Governor's jurisdiction is everything up to 4 hyperlanes from the sector capital. You'll need to create more sectors to hire more governors for anything outside that range.

aha, alrighty. thanks!

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Captain Invictus posted:

THINGS ARE ABOUT TO GO QUITE AWRY

Time to smash that “release vassal” button or similar...

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ulmont posted:

I should have expected this, but the xenophobe fallen empire doesn't even notice that there's now a bunch of robots squatting on a planet on their border.

a bit anticlimactic, really.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

ulmont posted:

Something fun to do is claim a system adjacent to the Militant Isolationists, then immediately transfer ownership to someone else before the "get off my borders" event fires at the end of the month.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Captain Invictus posted:

I should have expected this, but the xenophobe fallen empire doesn't even notice that there's now a bunch of robots squatting on a planet on their border.

a bit anticlimactic, really.

They tolerate foreign empires owning neighboring systems if it's their capitol. So your vassal being there independent or not is fine, but you annexing it isn't.

Jintozook81
May 14, 2020

There's Always A Bigger Ship...
Lipstick Apathy
I've been trying to play as a Megacorp. However it always seems like at least one of my neighbors reacts to getting free stuff in a trade deal by declaring me their rival and invading.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Relevant Tangent posted:

what kind of monster does the worm's entire quest chain and then betrays it/themselves at the end ?!

mostly wanted to see what fighting it was like, since i accepted the worm's love in my last game.

for as rare as that chain is supposed to be, i get it all the time

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

uncurable mlady posted:

mostly wanted to see what fighting it was like, since i accepted the worm's love in my last game.

1. Take a science ship and move it to a system one jump away from a black hole.
2. Set the science ship to patrol to the black hole.
3. Science ship ping pongs between the black hole system and the other system until the Worm event is triggered. It's a flat % chance upon entering a black hole system.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

gently caress off Batman posted:

They tolerate foreign empires owning neighboring systems if it's their capitol. So your vassal being there independent or not is fine, but you annexing it isn't.

awfully generous of the fanatic xenophobes

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
When you release a sector as a vassal, is it supposed to have your civics?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
I found out a cool thing. If you blow up your own habitats that you don't want with the colossus you can be in violation of galactic law.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Did you take everyone off first? Because if not...

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Splicer posted:

"While the recent police actions have raised some minor protests, the international community has no business interfering in strictly internal affairs!"

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

uncurable mlady posted:

I've gotten it three times the entire time I've owned the game. It really needs a toggle to increase the odds in the creation menu like caravaneers and Xenophile.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Vanilla game is quite good now with beta patch

Disagree about carrying capacity mod being a good idea, it does serious messing with the pop growth balance

Protip: if someone asks to join your federation and you say yes, you count as "sponsoring" them (and if others vote no it'll be like a normal failed vote, ie loss of cohesion and a bit of relations penalty with others)

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Which DLC get? Portrait useless. OP looks out of date.

Sillybones fucked around with this message at 01:03 on May 18, 2020

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Man, this game really slowed the gently caress down around year 2400, I started on the smallest map too.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Sillybones posted:

Which DLC get? Portrait useless. OP looks out of date.

Utopia, Apocalypse, Federations, and (now) Megacorp are must-haves. Leviathans and Ancient Relics will give you some extra side-content as well, Synthetic Dawn lets you play as robots. Imo the only weak DLC is Distant Stars and Lithoids.

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 01:21 on May 18, 2020

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

WarEternal posted:

Man, this game really slowed the gently caress down around year 2400, I started on the smallest map too.

If you're not on the beta branch, go to properties->betas and switch to the stellaris_test branch. They hosed up the latest release and performance was murdered but it's fixed in the test branch.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

And Tyler Too! posted:

Utopia, Apocalypse, Federations, and (now) Megacorp are must-haves. Leviathans and Ancient Relics will give you some extra side-content as well, Synthetic Dawn lets you play as robots. Imo the only weak DLC is Distant Stars and Lithoids.

I'm not sure I'd agree with Distant Stars being weak and Federations being a must-have. The former provides a lot of good features like the L Cluster and anomalies and gargantuans. The latter basically gives the player Advanced Start options.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I dislike carrying capacity simply because it's using a logistic curve with a growth rate that in practice winds up being way too high, like super unrealistically so. The system sounds reasonable on the surface but it clearly needs some tweaking

It also doesn't make much sense for planets to be treated as closed ecosystems for purposes of population growth for a species that can travel between multiple planets. Emigration push should probably start increasing as pop growth decreases, as a function of your empire-wide carrying capacity

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 02:39 on May 18, 2020

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I've had this game in my wish list forever so took advantage of the free play weekend and liked it, so I went ahead and bought the starter pack. I'm continuing the vanilla tutorial playthrough I started and am in no danger of accidentally winning (10th/13 with 100 years to go, some isolationist assholes on the other side of the galaxy are just running up the score), just trying to learn the mechanics.

The situation: I'm cool with most of my neighbors - in a federation with one, association with two others, and relatively neutral with a third. The fourth have been enormous dickbags all game and just did the following: 1) declared my federation-mates rivals and 2) claimed a bunch of my border systems. I've been wanting to try out combat and while we're relatively evenly matched (according to the game), with the help of my ally I assume we could do some serious damage.

I've moved most of my fleets to the choke point system in their claim and... waited. And waited. And waited. Are they just doing some galactic shitposting? I don't see any options to respond via diplomacy besides insulting them and/or declaring war, but does that make me the aggressor or cause me any broader political problems? Or should I just send my fleets back to patrol trade route for pirates and respond when or if their invasion crosses the border?

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Discussion Quorum posted:

I've had this game in my wish list forever so took advantage of the free play weekend and liked it, so I went ahead and bought the starter pack. I'm continuing the vanilla tutorial playthrough I started and am in no danger of accidentally winning (10th/13 with 100 years to go, some isolationist assholes on the other side of the galaxy are just running up the score), just trying to learn the mechanics.

The situation: I'm cool with most of my neighbors - in a federation with one, association with two others, and relatively neutral with a third. The fourth have been enormous dickbags all game and just did the following: 1) declared my federation-mates rivals and 2) claimed a bunch of my border systems. I've been wanting to try out combat and while we're relatively evenly matched (according to the game), with the help of my ally I assume we could do some serious damage.

I've moved most of my fleets to the choke point system in their claim and... waited. And waited. And waited. Are they just doing some galactic shitposting? I don't see any options to respond via diplomacy besides insulting them and/or declaring war, but does that make me the aggressor or cause me any broader political problems? Or should I just send my fleets back to patrol trade route for pirates and respond when or if their invasion crosses the border?

Generally the AI never throws the first punch unless they have a power advantage over you or your relations hit rock-bottom. There are no consequences to declaring war yourself, just make sure you can win. As for your AI allies they're either going to sit around and do nothing, or will actually show up to fight but will focus on backwater systems instead of somewhere they'd be helpful.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Splicer posted:

Empty. I blew up 3 of them before I noticed the ! for the breach of law.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
Yeah you were all right about the auto-teansfer of pops to newly conquered planet, it's still annoying as hell they depopulate my growing habitats instead of my overpopulated core worlds. Speaking of barely working features, was the fleet manager always this buggy? Not registering certain ships, being unable to reinforce from the menu or the fleet popup because the queue is filled with dozens of entries that show like "1/-" time remaining, etc. I don't think I appreciated how much even small mods like the Tiny UI stuff were duct taping this game together

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Captain Invictus posted:

The excavation sites that give you the Oracle and the head of zarqlan (spiritualist fallen empire fleet)

I only got Ancient Relics together with Federations, and I haven't seen either of them, even though I've played three empires to the endgame :shrug:

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Yeah, I get the Oracle fairly commonly but I've never had the head of Zarqlan

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
weird, I wonder what triggers them and if I happen to hit it every single time, or what.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I play an even split of single player and multiplayer so that probably skews my POV.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I have only ever gotten the head of Zarqlan as a machine intelligence and as a hivemind, never as a regular empire. It's rather hilarious to be a machine intelligence and still be liked by the spiritualist Fallen Empire :allears:

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

there should probably be an event where they ask you to give it back in return for five hundred influence or something vs a war declaration in ten years if you refuse

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Gort posted:

Yeah, I get the Oracle fairly commonly but I've never had the head of Zarqlan

And I'm opposite. :V

Digital Flower
Sep 5, 2011
My fanatic materialist birds get Zarqlan's head every single time.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Zarqlan's head is the best relic. No problems there!

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Congratulations you got the Javorian Pox relic!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

HelloSailorSign posted:

Congratulations you got the Javorian Pox relic!

You stepped outside your house?

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Started a game with the Ringworld origin for the first time and you can't repair the final segment, wtf? This is bullshit, lol :qq: I'm not gonna have my glorious Ilithid empire living on a 3/4 piece of poo poo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Crimpolioni posted:

Started a game with the Ringworld origin for the first time and you can't repair the final segment, wtf? This is bullshit, lol :qq: I'm not gonna have my glorious Ilithid empire living on a 3/4 piece of poo poo!
Build a new one later