Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Tomarse posted:

Have you used this yet? I'm trying to make some furniture out of 15mm birch ply and my Clarke 1/4 is really struggling and the sparks coming out of the motor do not fill me with confidence!. I need to buy a 1/2 router before I attempt any more door cutouts!

Birch ply is much harder than I thought it would be. Some sections of some of the layers I had to drop to doing 1mm depth at a time and one part took a chunk out of my router bit and caused a sawdust fire

Not yet, no. I've finished painting the front room, so this weekend I'll be shuffling things around, and once that's done I'll be in a position to operate the jointer, and when *that's* done I'll be able to get started with the router.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I'm pretty sure seagulls have nested on my roof. Please don't peck holes in my flat tar roof.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I think gull’s eggs used to be considered a real delicacy.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I think gull’s eggs used to be considered a real delicacy.

1. I think they've hatched
2. Wouldn't want to eat anything that's been fed on local scraps
3. Super illegal

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Jaded Burnout posted:

1. I think they've hatched
2. Wouldn't want to eat anything that's been fed on local scraps
3. Super illegal

Super illegal may be an overstatement. Based on what I’ve seen recently the police are hardly bothering with speeding, blatant illegal parking and things that directly endanger human life. Who is even going to know if you kill a few sky-rats?

Apparently the one positive of Brexit might be that we can kill seagulls again. They’re worse than pigeons where I am, and I could kill tens a day happily with an air rifle to unwind.

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:

wooger posted:

Super illegal may be an overstatement. Based on what I’ve seen recently the police are hardly bothering with speeding, blatant illegal parking and things that directly endanger human life. Who is even going to know if you kill a few sky-rats?

Apparently the one positive of Brexit might be that we can kill seagulls again. They’re worse than pigeons where I am, and I could kill tens a day happily with an air rifle to unwind.

Hell if you wanna go stealth just set up a rat trap

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

wooger posted:

It's been illegal to gently caress with nests since 1954, and in any case, is not my style.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Pretty sure the police had a manhunt for a guy that broke a seagull's neck after it stole his chips and that's definitely going to ruin your day. Also don't lay poison outside of an actual rat trap it's just going to end up with something else eating it, though someone told me that rat poison is often actually warfarin which may or may not be toxic to other things.

Anyway if you really want to get rid of seagulls, get a Harris hawk. One used to get brought round to my office to scare them off the roof and it works a treat.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I'm sure the neighbors would appreciate a dead seagull scaring effigy.
https://www.amazon.com/Dead-Seagull-Deterrent-Scare-Gulls/dp/B08268GTFK

It's even got one positive review!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Fun! The river police station in London has one of the fake hawks on a line that gets blown around.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I've been doing a little research into wood refinishing as I want to get my cladding in good shape this summer.

From what I've read (thanks Kaiser for your recommendation of Bob Flexner's book) the combination of oils and waxes I bought and first applied (probably inadequately) aren't going to cut it for the finish I want, which is natural wood unsilvered forever. Basically there isn't one.

My instinct if using oxalic acid to remove the current silvering was apparently a good one, and I can sand if need be afterwards, and I should hopefully be able to leave everything on the wall.

So, my options seem to be
1. Refinish as best as possible with the finishes I have, which will work but not for a super long time. I might have to refinish it multiple times a year.
2. Do it marine style, with a bunch of layers of gloss marine varnish, which will give more protection but a different look, and less (but still some) maintenance.

I suspect it might be option 3: both. Apply using what I have then refinish again next spring with something more serious.

I've also confirmed it's flat sawn, which isn't helping the warp, but apparently the poor finish I did probably caused that as much as anything. Depending how bad it does or doesn't look when I get out there I might try to repair that, but that would involve pulling it all down.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
From a few pages back.. but as someone from the US. I wonder why in the UK they are so paranoid about having electrical sockets/devices in the bathroom.

In the US the situation is quite the opposite. NEC (National Electrical Code) says there shall be an outlet located 3 ft from the edge of a sink.

This:

Is a common sight in US bathrooms. Both of my bathrooms look just like this, with a outlet just over the sink on the wall like that. In the kitchen, the situation is similar.

Of course the outlets must also be GFCI/RCD. Its still common to do GFCI/RCD at the plug, not the breaker box here.

Mystery Steve
Nov 9, 2006
Fun Shoe
Enough room for a toaster, easy to clean too.

upsidedown
Dec 30, 2008

stevewm posted:

From a few pages back.. but as someone from the US. I wonder why in the UK they are so paranoid about having electrical sockets/devices in the bathroom.

In the US the situation is quite the opposite. NEC (National Electrical Code) says there shall be an outlet located 3 ft from the edge of a sink.

This:

Is a common sight in US bathrooms. Both of my bathrooms look just like this, with a outlet just over the sink on the wall like that. In the kitchen, the situation is similar.

Of course the outlets must also be GFCI/RCD. Its still common to do GFCI/RCD at the plug, not the breaker box here.

Plugs near the sink are the norm in Australia too, even with switchboard RCDs. I’ve been living in the UK for 5 years and it still bugs me that I need to charge the electric toothbrush in the kitchen and use an extension cord for the clippers when I trim my beard.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

upsidedown posted:

Plugs near the sink are the norm in Australia too, even with switchboard RCDs. I’ve been living in the UK for 5 years and it still bugs me that I need to charge the electric toothbrush in the kitchen and use an extension cord for the clippers when I trim my beard.

Shaver plugs are a thing.

upsidedown
Dec 30, 2008

Jaded Burnout posted:

Shaver plugs are a thing.

Not really standard kit unless you live somewhere that has been built or renovated recently though.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

upsidedown posted:

Not really standard kit unless you live somewhere that has been built or renovated recently though.

Every house I grew up in in the 1980s and 1990s had shaver plugs

upsidedown
Dec 30, 2008

drgitlin posted:

Every house I grew up in in the 1980s and 1990s had shaver plugs

Huh. I must just be unlucky where I’ve rented.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Yeah, my personal experience has been about 50/50, but they've been around for many decades.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Jaded Burnout posted:

I've been doing a little research into wood refinishing as I want to get my cladding in good shape this summer.

From what I've read (thanks Kaiser for your recommendation of Bob Flexner's book) the combination of oils and waxes I bought and first applied (probably inadequately) aren't going to cut it for the finish I want, which is natural wood unsilvered forever. Basically there isn't one.

My instinct if using oxalic acid to remove the current silvering was apparently a good one, and I can sand if need be afterwards, and I should hopefully be able to leave everything on the wall.

So, my options seem to be
1. Refinish as best as possible with the finishes I have, which will work but not for a super long time. I might have to refinish it multiple times a year.
2. Do it marine style, with a bunch of layers of gloss marine varnish, which will give more protection but a different look, and less (but still some) maintenance.

I suspect it might be option 3: both. Apply using what I have then refinish again next spring with something more serious.

I've also confirmed it's flat sawn, which isn't helping the warp, but apparently the poor finish I did probably caused that as much as anything. Depending how bad it does or doesn't look when I get out there I might try to repair that, but that would involve pulling it all down.

I remember this discussion but I think it's gonna be problematic, to me that cladding looked more like an indoors type of thing rather than something that will survive outside. I don't think the growth rings are the real issue as much as the cladding isn't built or designed to surive outside, well ok it will actually survive but it won't keep looking fresh. Not in a climate like the UK anyway. I have a feeling it's gonna be a sisyphean task to try and keep it looking as it did when it was fresh, especially since the design doesn't prevent the boards from twisting and they will do that even with a marine varnish unless they are held down securely onto the substrate.

If you ever redo it, use wider boards and nail them in multiple places, two nails or screws for every stud to prevent warping. Then I'd use a light brown tinted oil, reapply yearly and also clean yearly with anti mold stuff. Or just use a dark stain so the mold stains don't show. Let it age with grace. Though a dark finish can really make things worse when it comes to drying and twisting.

This is why I design outdoor furniture with the intention of aging gracefully.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

His Divine Shadow posted:

I remember this discussion but I think it's gonna be problematic, to me that cladding looked more like an indoors type of thing rather than something that will survive outside. I don't think the growth rings are the real issue as much as the cladding isn't built or designed to surive outside, well ok it will actually survive but it won't keep looking fresh. Not in a climate like the UK anyway. I have a feeling it's gonna be a sisyphean task to try and keep it looking as it did when it was fresh, especially since the design doesn't prevent the boards from twisting and they will do that even with a marine varnish unless they are held down securely onto the substrate.

If you ever redo it, use wider boards and nail them in multiple places, two nails or screws for every stud to prevent warping. Then I'd use a light brown tinted oil, reapply yearly and also clean yearly with anti mold stuff. Or just use a dark stain so the mold stains don't show. Let it age with grace. Though a dark finish can really make things worse when it comes to drying and twisting.

This is why I design outdoor furniture with the intention of aging gracefully.

I mean, it's specifically designed for being outside. Whether it was designed well or not I can't judge, but it's from a place that does exclusively external cladding and is profiled to allow rain runoff. The profile is called "rain screen" or similar.

I am planning on using screws to refix it, which should also allow me to give it more space for movement than it has now.

I agree that keeping it looking properly fresh is a Sisyphean task that I don't fancy taking on, so I'm readjusting my expectations, to doing a better job of fixing and UV protecting this year, and then next year either marine varnishing (which is afaict aided mostly by being glossy (for reflection) and multiple layers of UV protectant), or some sort of tint as you suggest (which again, pigment is a good UV protector).

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

The classic look around here is dark stained wood but lots of the new build places are unstained or old wood effect. I can ask what treatment they're using on my way past if you like.

It's pretty common for chalets to have larch shingle roofs, this is my neighbour. Not the effect you are after but the siding should last ages even if you leave it. (may be misremembering but I think your siding is larch)

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

It is larch yeah. I'm not too worried about longevity as such, and I'll need to settle on a new appearance eventually. Keeping it fresh forever isn't realistic. I just hate the greyed look.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Jaded Burnout posted:

It is larch yeah. I'm not too worried about longevity as such, and I'll need to settle on a new appearance eventually. Keeping it fresh forever isn't realistic. I just hate the greyed look.

What’s the name of that Japanese technique where you blowtorch they gently caress out of wood to create a weatherproof long term finish.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

It's 焼杉板 yaki sugi ita
https://quohome.com/story/?p=7127

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

That's really cool

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Very interesting! Though not my style.

Google's translation of japanese is getting better. Mostly.

quote:

Don't lick a child

I always touch that it's Yasugi

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

wooger posted:

What’s the name of that Japanese technique where you blowtorch they gently caress out of wood to create a weatherproof long term finish.

It’s used in the UK too but on agricultural buildings.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I'm a JP>EN translator and machines can't handle casual Japanese and/or paragraphs. My career is still safe.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

by sebmojo

more like 焼き過ぎ板, amirite

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

haha woahh

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

OK so, reminder that I was trying to turn this goddamn mess into a more usable workspace.

In order to do that I had to put a final coat of paint in the front room.

Tack cloths to remove some paint dust. Wound up not using them much honestly, switched to a damp cloth.

Opened up the old paint, needs a mix.

Jolly good.

I'm an old hand at masking these days.

PAINT

Jarred some up so I don't have to mix up the whole can again for touch ups.

Once dried there was a patch of bad texture here, hard to see in the photo.

Sanded it down and touched up. Still needs some TLC, but this is very sensitive paint, it seems.

Clean up.

Now I've got some space to work in, I can tidy up the trial-run pieces for the router.

First chips on the jointer/thicknesser. I like it!

Quick run on the table saw.

All tidy.

So, now I can start on the routing. This details what I'm trying to do:

Spent SOME TIME getting the router set up. Annoyingly the sections of the manual aren't in the same order as the order you physically have to do things in, but it worked out OK.

Yeah, so, this janky set up was not only janky but also too tall.

Slightly less janky but OK-thickness setup. Doing this sort of thing without table-side clamps is really annoying, and it's surprisingly hard to find bench dogs here.

Depth set.

Test cut done!

With the measurements done I can now compare them against the theoretical version, and they match. Yay! Depth of cut is correct too.

And here it is deburred.

I can now move on to making and testing the router jig.

Tomarse posted:

Have you used this yet? I'm trying to make some furniture out of 15mm birch ply and my Clarke 1/4 is really struggling and the sparks coming out of the motor do not fill me with confidence!. I need to buy a 1/2 router before I attempt any more door cutouts!

Birch ply is much harder than I thought it would be. Some sections of some of the layers I had to drop to doing 1mm depth at a time and one part took a chunk out of my router bit and caused a sawdust fire

I'm pretty happy with it so far. It cut really cleanly and easily, albeit through pine.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Yea those cuts look pretty dang clean and the whole place is starting to look sharp! I'm excited to see these stairs I've never done them this way, it's always fun to learn new techniques

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Looks good, make sure you've already got spare bits stocked away, it's infuriating to burn/chip your only bit mid-job

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

cakesmith handyman posted:

Looks good, make sure you've already got spare bits stocked away, it's infuriating to burn/chip your only bit mid-job

Good idea in principle, but these bits are expensive and aren't going to see a ton of use, so I'd rather wait for the delivery should it come to that.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Your constant games of equipment musical chairs always amaze me and its incredible what you manage to do in a very small space. Jointer/planer looks like it is working well!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Next part.

Grabbed a sheet of MDF I'd purchased for this purpose and squirrelled away.

Then followed the instructions (accounting for a slightly different offset).

For the next part I need a compass (the pencil kind) and while I thought I owned one, I can't find it, so I've ordered another one arriving this evening.

For now I'm leaving it here after gathering some more bits I'll need.

Dug out the jigsaw and blades.

This dump box of "things related to sharpening, grinding and cutting" needs sorting out, but it's where the blades were and I found them quickly, so it works at least a little bit.

I've also ordered a pack of 1/2" router bits, because there's some more general ones I need, and the set I have is a) cheap b) 1/4".

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Did we just get tune in next week'ed?! I was fully invested and kept trying to scroll lol

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Did we just get tune in next week'ed?! I was fully invested and kept trying to scroll lol

Cucked by my inability to keep stationery stationary!

It's a good thing, as it happens, because I think the book I'm going off is phrased poorly and I need to redo some of the template before cutting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Jaded Burnout posted:

Cucked by my inability to keep stationery stationary!

It's a good thing, as it happens, because I think the book I'm going off is phrased poorly and I need to redo some of the template before cutting.

Nice catch that sounds like it could have been extremely frustrating