Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Snagged me some senn momentum 2.0's over ear's on the cheap, I imagine the last of the old stock is just getting the boot from the new one that came out in fall cause they're a good deal in a couple places. Wanted something wireless/bluetooth cause I'm walking around a ton nowadays to get out of the house and I naturally looked to sennheiser cause I loved my old 555's for years and years.

Came in today and I took em on their maiden voyage around my neighborhood ended up doing lazy laps for nearly 2 hours, pretty much perfect. Basically exactly what I was looking for. Would recommend to anyone looking for an unwired set, I was always a bit nervous about spending money on closed/bluetooth cause it felt like I'd be paying more to get worse sound but I figured technology was probably good enough by now and it sure feels that way. Only real drawback is I feel like every intersection I make more of a conscious effort to look around cause it's like the world is on mute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I don't quite understand Bluetooth audio and I'm wondering if what I'd like to have is even possible.

I've got windows 10, a Xonar DX so I can have the dolby headphone algorithm, a pair of Soundcore Life Q20 headphones and a $2 bluetooth adapter.

Is it possible to get the xonar soundcard generated audio with the headphone algorithm applied to output over bluetooth? I know about windows sonic and its not quite the same. There is another setting for virtualization enhancement in the headphones properties but isnt the same either. I know dolby sells its headphone algorithm now called atmos or access through the windows 10 store but I already have that in hardware. is there a way to tell windows what device to source my bt audio from?

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

are balanced audio outputs snake-oil (for home use at least)? i have hd650s and just discovered they can be easily converted to balanced XLR by swapping out the cable. is there an appreciable difference or is this just mental illness brought on by watching 100 youtube audio reviews and consequently trying to convince myself the schiit jotunheim is a good investment?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Generic Monk posted:

are balanced audio outputs snake-oil (for home use at least)? i have hd650s and just discovered they can be easily converted to balanced XLR by swapping out the cable. is there an appreciable difference or is this just mental illness brought on by watching 100 youtube audio reviews and consequently trying to convince myself the schiit jotunheim is a good investment?

I mean if the heart wants a Jotunheim

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I've always understood it to be a long-distance thing like for real like wires running to an audio board at a show or that kinda thing. Not too helpful in other applications. Perhaps I'm wrong.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Generic Monk posted:

Balanced cables for headphones are not the same as XLR balanced pro audio. The ONLY difference with balanced heapdhone cables is they have an extra ground wire which means the circuit can be dual mono. The standard itself also includes more voltage so more power. The key thing is a single ended normal device can ALSO put out as much power as OMG balanced.

So if your device sounds best balanced, run like that. It might not as well.

quote:

I've always understood it to be a long-distance thing like for real like wires running to an audio board at a show or that kinda thing. Not too helpful in other applications. Perhaps I'm wrong.
Yes in pro audio a balanced cable will send an inverted signal on the extra wires and use it to subtract noise. This is definitely good for long cable runs and why it exists.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 16:52 on May 16, 2020

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

redeyes posted:

Balanced cables for headphones are not the same as XLR balanced pro audio. The ONLY difference with balanced heapdhone cables is they have an extra ground wire which means the circuit can be dual mono. The standard itself also includes more voltage so more power. The key thing is a single ended normal device can ALSO put out as much power as OMG balanced.

So if your device sounds best balanced, run like that. It might not as well.

yeah this seems to be the conclusion i'm coming to; while there's some academic benefit to using separate grounds the actual benefits seem to be very fuzzy. this youtube guy i was watching who seemed relatively unenthused by audiophile bullshit was raving about the quality of the balanced output on the thing, but i think that might have been just from comparing it to the (apparently less good) single ended output.

Ok Comboomer posted:

I mean if the heart wants a Jotunheim

my heart would love plugging the big plugs in, in an ASMR sort of way. head just wants a modi 3 so i can stop using this realtek motherboard poo poo - i already bought the dayton dt-120 recommended earlier in this thread which is working great as an amp. and definitely more sensible/practical.

it is cool to see what they're making now tho. i had a modi 2 uber/vali 2 stack back in the day which i shamefully sold when my old pc died. modi is still a great product for me; red hot glowing tube amp that will defo burn my house down in the middle of a pandemic probably less so

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 17:34 on May 16, 2020

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Suggestions for sub-$500 over-the-ear headphones for people with big heads that can be used for synth-heavy music composition/production on-the-go? I just want to plug it into my laptop's 3.5mm port, compose in Ableton, and not deal with headphone amps.

I like these 32ohm Focal Listen Professionals I just got, but the ear cups are too small for my ears and the headphones are just a little too small in general for my head.

space marine todd fucked around with this message at 19:02 on May 16, 2020

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Generic Monk posted:

yeah this seems to be the conclusion i'm coming to; while there's some academic benefit to using separate grounds the actual benefits seem to be very fuzzy. this youtube guy i was watching who seemed relatively unenthused by audiophile bullshit was raving about the quality of the balanced output on the thing, but i think that might have been just from comparing it to the (apparently less good) single ended output.

my heart would love plugging the big plugs in, in an ASMR sort of way. head just wants a modi 3 so i can stop using this realtek motherboard poo poo - i already bought the dayton dt-120 recommended earlier in this thread which is working great as an amp. and definitely more sensible/practical.

it is cool to see what they're making now tho. i had a modi 2 uber/vali 2 stack back in the day which i shamefully sold when my old pc died. modi is still a great product for me; red hot glowing tube amp that will defo burn my house down in the middle of a pandemic probably less so

I have an Xduoo 05+ with 1w output power, but single ended. I also have a Radstone ES100 with both balanced and single ended outputs. The xduoo has faster transients as you would expect for having massive power vs the ES100. The Es100 sounds better balanced vs single ended, I assume because it was wired as such. Only slightly different really.

I'll say this. %90 of audiophile headphone things are utter bullshit.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

redeyes posted:

I have an Xduoo 05+ with 1w output power, but single ended. I also have a Radstone ES100 with both balanced and single ended outputs. The xduoo has faster transients as you would expect for having massive power vs the ES100. The Es100 sounds better balanced vs single ended, I assume because it was wired as such. Only slightly different really.

I'll say this. %90 of audiophile headphone things are utter bullshit.

Mobile balanced amps sound better balanced because it's literally twice the power. Makes a big difference when talking those low power levels.

I mostly used balanced on desktop too, but just so it's easy to switch between "mobile" and desktop. I use 2.5mm cables and have an XLR-2.5 adapter just always plugged into my amp.

space marine todd posted:

Suggestions for sub-$500 over-the-ear headphones for people with big heads that can be used for synth-heavy music composition/production on-the-go? I just want to plug it into my laptop's 3.5mm port, compose in Ableton, and not deal with headphone amps.

I like these 32ohm Focal Listen Professionals I just got, but the ear cups are too small for my ears and the headphones are just a little too small in general for my head.

Do you have a preference between opened and closed? I assume closed, but who knows.

ddogflex fucked around with this message at 21:57 on May 16, 2020

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

Does on the go mean they need to fold/collapse or do you intend to transport them in a full size hardcase within a backpack?

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

ddogflex posted:

Do you have a preference between opened and closed? I assume closed, but who knows.

Good question! I prefer closed.

DancingShade posted:

Does on the go mean they need to fold/collapse or do you intend to transport them in a full size hardcase within a backpack?

Folding/collapsing is a nice benefit, but not required. I always put my headphones in a hardcase when traveling.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

i have been summoned to speak its name once more:

beyerdynamic dt770 pro 80 ohms

go forth.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

i have been summoned to speak its name once more:

beyerdynamic dt770 pro 80 ohms

go forth.

Will a laptop headphone port be able to drive 80ohms?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Yeah. You could just return it for the 32 if your laptop is super weak, but the 80 ohms sound better and they run well on every laptop I've tried. Also, if you're handy, I highly recommend replacing the cable with a 3.5mm jack. It's a bit hefty for portable. You could also just reterminate it shorter if you don't want to bother.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

It's worth having a Grado mini cable adaptor from 6.3mm to 3.5mm somewhere in your collection. Audeze have them too but the Grado one is nicer. Buy whichever is more cheaply available locally.

Don't use those solid metal ones. You'll end up with a lot of weight on a single socket which is basically only held there by a bit of solder.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Good question! I prefer closed.

Folding/collapsing is a nice benefit, but not required. I always put my headphones in a hardcase when traveling.

Drop/beyer dt177x go. It’s on sale for $380 rn even

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Yeah. You could just return it for the 32 if your laptop is super weak, but the 80 ohms sound better and they run well on every laptop I've tried. Also, if you're handy, I highly recommend replacing the cable with a 3.5mm jack. It's a bit hefty for portable. You could also just reterminate it shorter if you don't want to bother.

I feel like this needs an asterisk* because my HE4xx are "35ohms" but they definitely need a nuclear powerplant to produce impressive sound.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
impedance does not equal sensitivity.

if I were to plug my 770s into my amp after I set it to he4xx listening volume, I'd blow my head off. I know this because I have no head, it got blown off.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 05:37 on May 17, 2020

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

I'd avoid the DT770's these days, the K371 basically murders them from every angle, most importantly in sound; the K371 are tuned very near the current Harman target, and don't have the lovely treble of the Beyerdynamics. Having owned both, the DT770 pads are garbage and wear out way too quickly, impacting the sound, they're made of steel and recycled milk jug plastic so they'll last forever but the actual build quality is terrible and they feel rough as hell, and they have a non-detachable ten-foot cable. The DT770 is not a great headphone, they've always been tonally off and fatiguing to listen to, there just never used to be much better in the price range.

Look up the K371, they're more comfortable, sound better, are built better, fold up, are efficient enough to be driven by mobile sources, and come with three detachable cables. At $150 they've removed any reason to look at old units like the DT770 and M50X which were always overrated by virtue of being cross-shopped against Beats.

I don't want to oversell the K371, they're still a $150 pair of headphones, but in that price bracket I've not heard, or heard of, anything better. In terms of frequency response they don't do anything "wrong" or offensive, and have that ridiculous sub-bass rumble people like in the DT770.

Check em out imo

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I feel like this needs an asterisk* because my HE4xx are "35ohms" but they definitely need a nuclear powerplant to produce impressive sound.

It's because while they have a low resistance they also have a low sensitivity: 93 dB

When determining power requirements for headphones the sensitivity is much more important than the resistance, as a less sensitive headphone will require more current to adequately power. Most headphones with a 100+ dB sensitivity should play to acceptable volumes through mobile sources.

Wheeee fucked around with this message at 18:00 on May 17, 2020

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I've never had treble problems with my 80 ohm 770, unlike basically every other beyer I've tried.

I'm sure the K371 is a good headphone but I worry about using something so adherent to harman target for music production. I want to be able to hear mistakes and problems in the mix, I don't want to gloss over stuff that might stick out on regular systems. Harman target is going to do that more than diffuse field tuning, no matter what you do.

I haven't heard the K371 but I would rule them out for professional use just based on that. I love me some fun harman tuning when I'm rocking out with some IEMs or whatnot, but I would not use them for mixing or mastering anything.

The harman target is fun to listen to, but it's neither "correct" nor "neutral" nor "better". It's an amalgamation of preference, nothing more. You might even fall outside the preference curve and hate that tuning anyway.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

I'm actually not a Harman superfan and didn't keep the K371 I had purchased, but if you look at raw measurements the K371 has a much more even and closer to neutral frequency response. In terms of actual detail, the K371 is quite good as well. I mentioned the Harman target specifically because it's an amalgamation of preference which is, by design, going to sound pretty good to a majority of people, making it a decent baseline recommendation.

Ignoring frequency response, the remainder of it stands as well: The K371 is compact, comfortable, folds up for portable use, comes with three detachable cables for different use cases, and is a modern professional studio monitoring headphone engineered by a company at the forefront of research in this industry right now. The DT770 80 Ohm as a portable option is a loving joke.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
listen, we're all friends here just show us on the doll where beyerdynamic hurt you

they're not here, they can't get you anymore, I promise

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I can’t get back around to recommending AKGs ever since the elastics on my Q701 perished horribly after like a loving year of ownership and barely any use. I know there’s a DIY fix and I’m p sure you can bug Harman about replacements but it just totally turned me off for a $200+ product from such a massive company.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
If you want something super durable and more portable than dt770, I'd go sennheiser HD25. Yes, they're on-ear, but the isolation and bass thump makes them the default DJ and broadcast headphone for a reason.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

hm actually i'm going to try both the AKGs and the Beyerdynamics and see which one I like better!!

here's hoping one of them fits my gigantic head

space marine todd fucked around with this message at 20:50 on May 17, 2020

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

listen, we're all friends here just show us on the doll where beyerdynamic hurt you

*points at eardrums*

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

The Beyer DT990 bad touched me with that treble spike. Traumatised to this day. Sometimes I wake up in a cold sweat.

I do quite like the Beyer Custom One Pro though.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 21:47 on May 17, 2020

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Can somebody explain and rank all the different Beyers for me? Including the Drop ones? I’ll admit I’ve been semi Beyer-curious in my life but it’s so daunting when there’s like twenty of them

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ok Comboomer posted:

Can somebody explain and rank all the different Beyers for me? Including the Drop ones? I’ll admit I’ve been semi Beyer-curious in my life but it’s so daunting when there’s like twenty of them

Graph time. https://www.innerfidelity.com/headphone-measurements

Those measurements haven't been updated since Tyll retired but that's okay since most available Beyer stuff is still on there. Nothing released the past couple years of course.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Ok Comboomer posted:

of the ones I've tried:

DT770 32 ohm: Meh. A neutered version of the 80.
DT770 80 ohm: My favorite beyer and one of my favorite closed backs of all time
DT770 250 ohm: I heard no benefit except for sharper treble around 8k which I didn't like.

Custom One Pro: As good as the 770 80, except I found the pads much less comfortable. The bass adjustment and removable cable are a big plus though.

DT880: treble is edging on painful
DT990: treble like mosquitoes loving each other to death inside your ears
T90: had to stop tests due to blood loss from ear canal

e: of note, I've owned 770s for a decade, replaced the pads probably 4 times and the headband once. They're extremely solid, and the pads wear out less frequently than my sennheisers do.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 23:07 on May 17, 2020

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I recently picked up the DT770 80 ohms. I wish they blocked out a bit more outside noise but I'm real happy with them. I don't notice any treble ear murder.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Wheeee posted:

It's because while they have a low resistance they also have a low sensitivity: 93 dB

Oh I KNOW why, I'm just saying headphones shouldn't be recommended for a device based on resistance alone. Efficiency should also be considered.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

shadow puppet of a posted:

I don't quite understand Bluetooth audio and I'm wondering if what I'd like to have is even possible.

I've got windows 10, a Xonar DX so I can have the dolby headphone algorithm, a pair of Soundcore Life Q20 headphones and a $2 bluetooth adapter.

Is it possible to get the xonar soundcard generated audio with the headphone algorithm applied to output over bluetooth? I know about windows sonic and its not quite the same. There is another setting for virtualization enhancement in the headphones properties but isnt the same either. I know dolby sells its headphone algorithm now called atmos or access through the windows 10 store but I already have that in hardware. is there a way to tell windows what device to source my bt audio from?

I look at this, and I see a question for which I know the answer and know extremely few other people do.

And how I feel about the question is that it belongs in TCC.

Give up. Genuinely, give up now. Do not wander into this forest of unsupported hacks and lacking documentation. Stick a bluetooth adapter on to the Xonar, call it a day. Or learn to live without Xonar's stupid hacks, they will start crashing you anyway.

As far as the actual answer goes, yes, it's doable but you need a not-insignificant investment in new hardware because Xonar's special algorithms have significant software support problems as is and doing it purely in software will prove practically impossible. I do wonder if you could just go from spdif to bluetooth. Depends on the specific Xonar and how willing you are to explore undocumented features, at a guess.

But overall, this is like a dude asking about how to order experimental Russian drugs.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
I've complained here at least a couple of times about the shirt clip breaking off on my Radsone ES100. I'd tried a couple of adhesive backed spring loaded plastic clips as a replacement, but nothing really worked well. What has worked out nicely though are adhesive backed magnets that are used for conference name tags. It's actually more convenient than the original clip.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

endlessmonotony posted:

But overall, this is like a dude asking about how to order experimental Russian drugs.

you can have a lot more fun with experimental russian drugs than that fake rear end xonar bullshit

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

trem_two posted:

I've complained here at least a couple of times about the shirt clip breaking off on my Radsone ES100. I'd tried a couple of adhesive backed spring loaded plastic clips as a replacement, but nothing really worked well. What has worked out nicely though are adhesive backed magnets that are used for conference name tags. It's actually more convenient than the original clip.

Look for lav mic cable clips. They do the same thing but they don't suck because if it fails on camera it ruins a take.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

trem_two posted:

When mine broke I just started pocketing it, less than ideal but whatever. These things are built like complete poo poo. My first one just started having phantom button presses constantly. Second one had the clip break off within a couple months. I'm not hard on my equipment at all either.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

ddogflex posted:

When mine broke I just started pocketing it, less than ideal but whatever. These things are built like complete poo poo. My first one just started having phantom button presses constantly. Second one had the clip break off within a couple months. I'm not hard on my equipment at all either.

Yeah it didn't bother me so much in the winter when I could shove it in my upper coat pocket, but it was annoying me having the cable go down to my pants pocket when doing yard work and whatnot now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
Need some advice on noice cancellation.

I'm looking for somewhat affordable($70-120) in-ear Bluetooth with ANC to use at work. Sound quality isn't that important in regards to music as I mostly listen to podcasts or audiobooks while I work. The point being that I use power tools so there's noise I normally use PPE to get rid of but I'd like to know if there's any good option so I dont have to carry ear protection with me all the time.

There is ofc Bluetooth PPE but I don't want to look like a complete dork using it going about daily business.

Currently using Haylou gt1 I bought at AliExpress and they're good enough sound quality but they're quickly losing their juice now. My phone sadly only has SBC codec even though it's a snapdragon so preferably that though I guess I could mess about with files to enable aptx if there's something worthwhile.

Been looking at Phiaton Curve BT 120 NC and Plantronics Backbeat GO 410, does anyone have any opinion or suggestions to consider before I buy?

fanfic insert fucked around with this message at 15:44 on May 21, 2020