Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

5er posted:

Living through quarantine has been weird enough; it feels like more weird poo poo just finds me because weird enough isn't weird enough.

In the first or second week of April, our next door neighbors let us know they are finally hopping on the baby chicken bandwagon, and they got some chicks inside their house. They were, of course, thoroughly inspired by our success last year with our four big girls. We figure this should be neat. I have some concerns that if chickens see other chickens on the side of the fence they're not supposed to be on, they might get it in their little reptilian brains that they belong on that side too, and might put more effort into fence hopping. We'll cope with that whenever if ever it happens.

Earlier last week, I ask them how many bird they have. They said eleven. ELEVEN fuckin birds that literally haven't seen daylight yet, and are at five weeks of age, because the run they're building isn't ready yet. My neighbor's wife's mother had died two weeks back, and it utterly halted progress on everything for that time period. And, one of them is apparently a rooster. They know full well roosters are not allowed by ordinance.
Neighbor then tells me they only plan on keeping six of the birds, and are hoping to drop off the other half with someone else that wants to get a flock going, or just take em for any reason, when they're old enough. He tells me the Tractor Supply he bought from, only sells in minimum of ten, so he rolled with it. Tractor Supply employees are poo poo at math apparently, and they got one extra on accident.
edit: apparently nature decided to help them out a bit. On Monday night their dogs busted into the bathroom that they're using as a triage nursery, and killed two of the birds, bringing them down to nine. One of the losses was the rooster, and both of us morbidly agreed that perhaps that was a silver lining for them.

I start checking around for them with our friends who have nuanced at getting chickens over the year, and so far all of them either changed their minds about it, or just aren't up for that kind of commitment.

My wife says to me yesterday, 'you know our coop and our yard per ordinance can support eight.' I told her, six is our hard cap.

An hour ago I plunked in one of my neighbor's Rhode Island Reds with my buff orp babies, because seven is my new hard cap. I'll post pictures tomorrow. I love her colors. The flock is going to be neat looking as all hell this time next year.

double-edit: for those who may have concerns about integration problems, the red is only about one week younger. Our orps are so goddamn fluffy, that's where most of their volume comes from, but the new bird is about the same height and very close to the same size. I figure she ought to be big enough to avoid getting picked on much.

That morehens is a bitch sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

Errant Gin Monks posted:

That morehens is a bitch sometimes.

The real music I'm facing, is with my cousin's wife. She told me last year next thing you know you'll be doubling that flock because you love em so much. I told her I had more discipline than that.

I at least have the dignity of stopping ONE SHORT of her being 100% correct.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

5er posted:

The real music I'm facing, is with my cousin's wife. She told me last year next thing you know you'll be doubling that flock because you love em so much. I told her I had more discipline than that.

I at least have the dignity of stopping ONE SHORT of her being 100% correct.

And yet I have a beautiful lavender Orpington that would be beautiful in your flock

5er
Jun 1, 2000

You motherfucker. Don't do this to me.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

The temperature dropped from low 70's to about 58f last night, which resulted in the girls all huddling together in a ball under the ceramic heater. They were trilling and purring contentedly as I went about my morning routine. My youngest woke up and had to go straight to handling them.

Nugget and Marley were the first to pop up to the nursery bucket edge when the lid came up, because that's their thing, and they love climbing about on a lap. They're used to treats or just the simple joy on hunkering down on a surface that provides its own heat.

The new kid has not gotten any socialization at all that I can tell. I put a pinch of oats in my hand, and while she was alone in the bucket, tried to see if she'd eat from it. Not quite. She was also real shy of my hand. At this point, if I put my hand to my orps in the bucket, they either climb right into it, or immediately try to use my arm to claw their way up to my shoulder.

What I knew would work, was getting her into my kid's lap with the other two, and having her watch the other girls peck oats from my hand. The orps wasted no time when they saw oats, and sure enough the new kid started pecking at the oats too. She got a couple 'who the gently caress are you' looks from the incumbents, but was otherwise not driven off the food.

New kid is leaner and scruffier, but we'll have that fixed in no time I figure. I love how hawkish she looks. I might be sad when she is eventually a normal chonky lady like the rest of the flock.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

5er posted:

I might be sad when she is eventually a normal chonky lady like the rest of the flock.

Nah.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

5er posted:

I told her I had more discipline than that.

:laugh:

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small
wow, I have not heard that disease, morehens, in a long time! Great to hear it is making a comeback! :)

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

piscesbobbie posted:

wow, I have not heard that disease, morehens, in a long time! Great to hear it is making a comeback! :)

My friend wants me to take a few “odd birds” she got dropped off at her farm. A few lavender opringtons, a brown leghorn, some not pure bred bresse and a buff Brahma and my will power is crumbling. CRUMBLING I SAY!!!

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
wow, I have not heard that name, piscesbobbie, in a long time! Great to hear she's back! :)

Saw one of your sibling's kids in the CHICKCAM chat a while back. Guess you got somebody else hooked eh?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
:argh::eek::magical:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0geKGCqVUdk

It did end up getting a meal (from my trash.)

Makes me wonder just how raccoon-proof my coop really is! I have locking carabiners on all the latches, think that _should_ be sufficient...

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Mozi posted:

:argh::eek::magical:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0geKGCqVUdk

It did end up getting a meal (from my trash.)

Makes me wonder just how raccoon-proof my coop really is! I have locking carabiners on all the latches, think that _should_ be sufficient...

Tunneling is a thing you have to worry about there too.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
The hardware cloth has a buried skirt around the coop and it's very rocky ground so I'm hopeful there - but will be keeping an eye out for signs that he's attempting that for sure.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Mozi posted:

The hardware cloth has a buried skirt around the coop and it's very rocky ground so I'm hopeful there - but will be keeping an eye out for signs that he's attempting that for sure.

Sounds like good precaution to me!

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

MisterOblivious posted:

wow, I have not heard that name, piscesbobbie, in a long time! Great to hear she's back! :)

Saw one of your sibling's kids in the CHICKCAM chat a while back. Guess you got somebody else hooked eh?

It was my niece who got me hooked on CHICKCAM all those years ago! :)

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I don't think I have seen anything like this before, by which I mean I don't think I have seen it in this thread.
https://www.amazon.com/SEIFINI-Collecting-Gathering-Accessories-Housewife/dp/B07ZYVLC3F

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Don't quite have a name for new kid just yet. But, she's integrated quickly and effortlessly into a 3 bird flock with Nugget and Marley. After that first night when the temperature drop likely insisted they huddle together, they've been bonded as if she was always there with them.

She's leaner than the buff orps, I think she knows it, but she cranes her head up taller when they do their little chest-bump square-offs. So far I think the birds consider each other evenly matched. At the end of the day though, Nugget's definitely going to be a bruiser, and will run their clique, and will probably give Zilla some competition for boss bitch at full size.

New kid is slowly getting less and less scraggly. She had a very flighty and timid personality for the first day- wouldn't take things offered from our hands, would generally get evasive if one of my sons or I got close, and seemed to shun being near humans. Nugget, and especially Marley, are always all over us though. They hop on us, if we have a single drat anything in our hands they'll try to pilfer it, if they're tired, they'll look for a knee or shoulder to chill on. Marley in particular (the one further up my arm in this picture) is the bigtime cuddler. I think she is going to be the lap bird I was hoping for last year. Nugget will probably be, also, but she is always lit, always running about. Marley's the one who's first-thing activity after I cut them loose on the enclosed upper deck, is to camp out on my lap for the first fifteen minutes before joining the other two, with the flapping and sprinting and leapfrog games.
New kid I think looks to the other two all the time for behavior cues, and she's right inbetween Nugget and Marley as far as activity level. If Marley's in a lap, new kid will be along shortly to claim a knee. She's slowly getting used to touch as well! You couldn't get her to tolerate a hand on approach, and she'd make those 'gently caress off' trills if you touched her back originally, but after seeing Marley bliss out with back-skritches when she's down for the long cuddles, she's been content to take light strokes on her back when on a lap. It's so neat watching her learn how to be a more relaxed bird from her new sisters.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/mrs_coyle/status/1259779742611517441

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

From the cute thread in PYF:

Tough chick.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I confirmed my order of 3 buff orpingtons and 2 Norwegians for pick up on the 21st.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Alterian posted:

I confirmed my order of 3 buff orpingtons and 2 Norwegians for pick up on the 21st.

Brace yourself for floof! My orps are the fluffiest god drat things and I can barely stand it.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
These doofuses are now 5 weeks old. Half way through their short little meat bird lives. They are insanely friendly and I wish layers were more like these personality wise. If you pick one up it will flop down in your palm and sit there forever. They are the laziest chickens.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Marley is like a housecat with how much she loves sitting in a lap. I could not do that for something I planned on eating in a month.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Birbs. Still impossible to photograph. Awkward teenagers all. Their behavior is getting more and more dramatic but they are all still very quiet.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

5er posted:

Marley is like a housecat with how much she loves sitting in a lap. I could not do that for something I planned on eating in a month.

It makes it easier knowing that they can’t actually live a long chicken life. They aren’t bred to live more than a few months. While they have way fewer health problems than CXs they are still specialty bred meat birds, not dual purpose birds.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Errant Gin Monks posted:

It makes it easier knowing that they can’t actually live a long chicken life. They aren’t bred to live more than a few months. While they have way fewer health problems than CXs they are still specialty bred meat birds, not dual purpose birds.

Yeah, I get that. I uncontrollably, automatically emotionally invest in any animal I take care of however.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

5er posted:

Yeah, I get that. I uncontrollably, automatically emotionally invest in any animal I take care of however.

every time someone brings up eating chickens you get really weird. maybe you need to make a pets only chicken thread?

someone is going to take this snotty because everyone thinks I'm a huge bitch but I mean, you seem actual upset about the idea of meat animals being used as meat animals and it concerns me that you get upset.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I do not get really weird. I just talk about what's on my mind. I won't any more, on that context.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

5er posted:

I do not get really weird. I just talk about what's on my mind. I won't any more, on that context.

It's alright. You can take comfort in the fact you are raising them in a decent environment. Many of us eat meat, burgers, chicken, pork. For example, purchasing eggs from a producer that lets the hens free-range, not cooped up in small cages, cows, pigs allowed to free-range and feed at will.

Did I make any sense? I'm having a difficult time with words lately.

That you are raising your meat birds free of chemicals (antibiotics, etc.)

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

piscesbobbie posted:

It's alright. You can take comfort in the fact you are raising them in a decent environment. Many of us eat meat, burgers, chicken, pork. For example, purchasing eggs from a producer that lets the hens free-range, not cooped up in small cages, cows, pigs allowed to free-range and feed at will.

Did I make any sense? I'm having a difficult time with words lately.

That you are raising your meat birds free of chemicals (antibiotics, etc.)

He isn’t raising meat birds I am. But the same applies the reason I am raising my own is to give them a good short life full of all things chicken.

I am trying to take more responsibility for my meat consumption. Buying local cows and pigs whole from farmers I know and raising my own birds is step 1.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Errant Gin Monks posted:

He isn’t raising meat birds I am. But the same applies the reason I am raising my own is to give them a good short life full of all things chicken.

I am trying to take more responsibility for my meat consumption. Buying local cows and pigs whole from farmers I know and raising my own birds is step 1.

Sorry for the mistake UGH!

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I wasn't judging, I really was just making conversation, expressing and exploring what I acknowledge as my own personal aversion and resistance to raising anything I intended to kill and eat myself. I was raised on subsistence farming, and have seen plenty of animals humanely raised, and just as humanely slaughtered. I've also been an avid personal enthusiast of studying the philosophy of mind, and it's all just overlapping for me here.

I'm both impressed with, and glad at the level of care you're going to give the birds up until the point they're ready to become food. But it will always make me think of the Hitchiker's Guide restaurant at the end of the universe, where the cow you're going to get a steak from sits down with you to tell you about how good your meal's about to be :)

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

5er posted:

I wasn't judging, I really was just making conversation, expressing and exploring what I acknowledge as my own personal aversion and resistance to raising anything I intended to kill and eat myself. I was raised on subsistence farming, and have seen plenty of animals humanely raised, and just as humanely slaughtered. I've also been an avid personal enthusiast of studying the philosophy of mind, and it's all just overlapping for me here.

I'm both impressed with, and glad at the level of care you're going to give the birds up until the point they're ready to become food. But it will always make me think of the Hitchiker's Guide restaurant at the end of the universe, where the cow you're going to get a steak from sits down with you to tell you about how good your meal's about to be :)

Better the animal you knew had a happy life than the one that lived on this:

And I mean, that's not a feedlot that's covered with literal piles of poo poo, I guess.

I just thought a pet chicken thread would be right up your alley because you get weird about it and folks could see both sides of it more clearly I guess?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

5er posted:

I want you to understand that I am happy and in a way validated by your comments. I love my chickens. I loved my layers when I had them and in my own awkward way I’m both attached to and fond of these meat birds. Having become friends with cattle and pig farmers here in Ohio has taught me how much small farmers love their animals. My cattle farmer cries when a calf dies and takes pride in the quality of her meat when she sends cattle to processing. It’s a very visceral connection to food when you raise and care for it yourself.

One of the things that I have taken away from this experience is how much you can be emotionally invested in an animal you are going to eat. It’s been incredibly eye opening to me. I walk through a supermarket these days and I have no desire to eat the meat they sell because I cannot fathom eating an animal I haven’t seen raised and cared for. It’s what moved me to raise my own birds.

These birds are wonderful and I have a twinge of sorrow every time I look at them and think “you’re going to look great in the freezer” but I take pride in the fact that I am raising them in a way that they have a happy and healthy life.

I could never have eaten my layers. When I had to kill a few when they were sick and dying I cried as I snapped their necks and I buried them under my oak tree with their favorite scratch to send their spirits on with all the respect I felt for them.

I know it’s a weird dichotomy but that’s where I am at. I appreciate all points of view and I agree with the emotional whip saw of raising an animal and then killing it. So don’t think I would be upset with your point of view because I felt the same way about my laying hens when I had them.

I was unsure whether people would be upset with my posts about meat birds but I felt
It was a different perspective of raising backyard chickens. If people don’t want to see my journey here I would hope they say so and I won’t post about them.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I wonder how fuckin weird I'll get in the eventuality I own a parrot.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

I'm not really seeing how someone is "getting weird" saying they wouldn't be able to do it themselves. It sounds a lot more like conversation to me.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Owning a parrot is a sign of how weird you've gotten.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

MrUnderbridge posted:

Owning a parrot is a sign of how weird you've gotten.

She judgin' you.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

5er posted:

Brace yourself for floof! My orps are the fluffiest god drat things and I can barely stand it.

I've had oprs, Plymouth barred rocks, and New Hampshires. I liked the orpingtons the best and was originally just going to get 5 of them. The place I'm getting them from had the Norwegian Jaerhorns listed for hatching the same day and I thought what the hell, they look interesting. The write ups about them say they have a decent personality usually too. They're easy to sex too since I really don't want a rooster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

5er posted:

I wonder how fuckin weird I'll get in the eventuality I own a parrot.

at least as weird as I am about my parrots.

Captain Log posted:

I'm not really seeing how someone is "getting weird" saying they wouldn't be able to do it themselves. It sounds a lot more like conversation to me.

it's more like the long history of 5er getting upset when people post meat birds and talk butcher methods and stuff like that. Yall act like I'm going "HEY FUCKBITCH MAYBE THIS THREAD ISN'T FOR YOU" and I'm just not. I just don't like seeing 5er go D: whenever it's brought up.

And, there's also the point that pet husbandry of chickens is a different thing (especially with medications and withdrawal periods) than eggs/meat birds. I just figure 5er would be one of the best folks in this thread (spoopy would be another) if folks wanted a place specifically to talk pet chickens/quail and to ban meat talk for their comfort.

I do think it's a drawback if you can't euth your own animals because if you come out to a chicken missing half its head from getting swooped and you gotta run it to the vet I... that's a lot of suffering for a bird. But at the same time, I get that it's hard for some folks to put down something they love. It's the whole reason a lot of people don't watch their dog get put down.

Captain Log posted:

She judgin' you.

Ugh, I lost my cockatiels this year. It blowed. I had every loving window in the house open. Every single one. Huge squirrel box fans blowing, towels under their door, everything. I had to use drano to fully unblock a drain. I walked in and all three were dead in a little heap in the corner of their cage. That was a couple of months ago and I'm still debating if I want to go get another little derp buddy. Webster and Michi, the ringnecks, still make cockatiel calls at the cockatiel cage like they're trying to find their little pals.

She's wonderful and I want to give her a nice paper bag to yell at me about.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 13:28 on May 18, 2020