Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
He's had really tough luck with injuries. Sucks since when he’s healthy and locked in he rakes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

alpha_destroy posted:

So, who has a hugely outsized space in your memory of the narrative history of baseball?

Every Twins middle infielder since about 1987. Every single one has been the shortstop of second baseman of the future. Just as soon as they figure it out. And they'll be that way forever.

Edit: also worth noting that Chili Davis's first World Series came as a Twinkie.

rickiep00h fucked around with this message at 18:16 on May 16, 2020

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

This has led me to watching the Luis Castillo dropped pop up clip another couple times.
(In case someone somehow hasn't seen it.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=335TZR0ZBHA

Any other plays like his where it literally cost the game? Every other game ending error I'm finding seems to take place in a tie game. Embarrassing, sure, but just not as gut punchy.

Edit: VVVVV Ohhh yeah. Forgot about Brant Brown. Poor Ron Santo.

Tony Phillips fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 16, 2020

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

That one was funny.

Unlike the Brant Brown dropped ball in Milwaukee in late September 1998 which still haunts my nightmares.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Strelok604 posted:

What's wild is that the MLBPA is by far the most successful of the 4 major sports unions; granted a lot of that was pioneering work by Marvin Miller, but still if you compare MLB contracts to stuff like NFL ones it's night and day.

the MLBPA is clearly on the down trend and IMO the NBA players union has been doing a better job for a while now. MLBPA did loving terrible with the last CBA

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/mykbo/status/1261671533837049856?s=21

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
That second one is hella sweet. Heady play.

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

Wasn't Hak-Ju Lee a Rays prospect for a long time?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

alpha_destroy posted:

So, who has a hugely outsized space in your memory of the narrative history of baseball?
I know this is"wrong answer", but during down time for my remote job I'd gently caress around with an old-timey league in OOTP and create custom graphics for it just to waste time, and import it to newer versions. I got laid off Wednesday after eight years, so to focus energy on something other than how everything sucks and there's no live day baseball I started it back up again, forgetting that OOTP no longer just creates players in fake leagues on sort of a create-a-player Bell Curve and sometimes will throw out an absolute anomaly of a player, and it gave me this guy, who's done this by the age of 28:

And I can't imagine how many statues of him there'd be in Philadelphia (he plays for the "Pennsylvania Quakers") if he actually existed. Every sporting venue in the city would probably be named after him.

Sorry for the "everything has turned to poo poo and I need a distraction" derail.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

alpha_destroy posted:

I asked this a while ago on Twitter, but because I'm lame and have few followers it didn't really take off, but, who has a totally outsized space in your brain's history of baseball?

Mark Portugal and no I can't explain why because I have no idea

I guess mostly because he was good in Houston and terrible everywhere else?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

alpha_destroy posted:

I asked this a while ago on Twitter, but because I'm lame and have few followers it didn't really take off, but, who has a totally outsized space in your brain's history of baseball?

Keith Osik, for no reason at all. He just represents The Dark Years to me, as well as serving as my archetypal backup catcher. I think about him very frequently

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

To give an honest answer to the question that was asked about players that take up too much of my conscience about baseball, Julio Franco is a big one for one reason:

His major league career started on a Phillies team that featured Steve Carlton, Pete Rose, and Mike Schmidt yet didn't end until the season the Red Sox had won their second World Series since 1918. It's ridiculous.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I still think about Ronald Torreyes a lot.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

My random-rear end guy you'll always remember disproportionately is Ryan Klesko; really solid career numbers as a hitter (.279, 278 HR) on some good teams, bad in the field but just pops up in a number of weird factoids -- homered in three consecutive World Series games in '95; failed to catch a ball that wasn't exactly borderline, a road scorer probably calls it a hit 90% of the time but definitely could have been caught by a good outfielder, that blew John Smoltz's best chance at a no-hitter; was hunting with Barry Bonds when he received the phone call informing him he'd been indicted for perjury; recently (in the before times) appeared at some bullshit with Trump that I forgot the exact nature of.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I'll always remember the Giles brothers being enormous weirdos

The whole Giles family really

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I still have and wear a Brian Giles pirates jersey lol

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
John Jaso, because he's Salt Life personified.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
Two disappointing Mariners, and a Cardinal who I will never forget.

Endy Chavez
Carlos Triunfel
Pete Kozma

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
From when I was at a kid it was David Justice. Its always weird when I realize he was only on the Indians for a little more than 3 years.

As an adult, it will be Dae-ho Lee until the day I die.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

David justice was awesome

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

LH power hitters own

RHS are boring and suck

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

matt stairs

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Fernando Tatis. I don't care if his son is objectively better, will he ever do this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syFmUVFNRZE

Also, Carlos Martinez. No, not the current one. Jose Martinez's father.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QixQMUu4CKI

How many home runs have had as big a cultural impact as that one? Babe Ruth's called shot, but anything else?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

https://twitter.com/DanHopp/status/1261770727922864128

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I think that kind of thing was standard on Fox broadcasts through the end of the decade

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I'm weirdly a fan of it to be honest

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Standard Tim McCarver analysis involves at least one instance of using flowery language or waxing poetically in a confounding way that rarely applies to the situation. This is often because he either recently learned a fancy word and wants to impress Joe, or he has suffered a series of mild strokes during the broadcast. It's an essential part of the game.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
The best moment involving Tim McCarver, obviously: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p8mXc4pfAo

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Two disappointing Mariners, and a Cardinal who I will never forget.

Endy Chavez
Carlos Triunfel
Pete Kozma

Endy Chavez made the single most impressive big catch I've ever seen

I thought Steve Woodard was gonna be a big star after watching him have a pitcher's duel with juiced up Roger Clemens and I'm pretty sure he won

Edit: He did. 8 IP, 1H, 1BB, 0ER, 12K.

It was his major league debut.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 12:25 on May 17, 2020

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

tangentially baseball, but:

https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1262002536564826112

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Holy gently caress that's awful.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
That happens too often where someone who can't swim tries to save a drowning victim and they end up drowning too. :smith:

Dr. Phil was right! :derp:

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

elentar posted:

The best moment involving Tim McCarver, obviously: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p8mXc4pfAo

I don't know, there was a moment in the 2011 World Series where Dirk Nowitzki did a promo and afterwards someone made a "Sprockets" reference. Aftewrards Tim McCarver spent a solid minute on the broadcast wondering aloud what the hell "Sprockets" was.

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
Wonder how they’re gonna enforce the no chewing tobacco, no sunflower seeds, no spitting rules. Can you even play baseball without spitting!?

E: Now I’m wondering what the first socially distanced manager tantrum / ejection will be like

LonesomeCrowdedWest fucked around with this message at 21:41 on May 17, 2020

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Dunno why, but I really remember Brett Tomko a lot more than he should ever be remembered.

The Phillies hit .288/.365/.532 off him apparently, even though I could have sworn every time he pitched he shut them down.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

Wonder how they’re gonna enforce the no chewing tobacco, no sunflower seeds, no spitting rules. Can you even play baseball without spitting!?

E: Now I’m wondering what the first socially distanced manager tantrum / ejection will be like

Are pitchers going to be allowed to go to their mouths anymore?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Glenallen Hill. And not just for his rooftop HR. I loved that dude in both runs with the Cubs.

Also I friggin loved me some Randall Simon back in our 2003 run.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Glenallen Hill because he was my favorite injury in sports history

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
Mickey Morandini. That unassisted triple play looms large in my mind. Super nice dude, met him at a bank for a signing once. I always smile a bit whenever I'm sorting or looking at junk wax and see his card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida