Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Uthor posted:

MediaMonkey isn't the height of design, but foobar2000 is just ugly to me.

Apparently it can be skinned, but since I keep it minimized 99% of the time anyway, I just set a simple layout and called it a day.

SpookyLizard posted:

i would forgo any other music app on my phone to have foobar on it, its literally the best music player ever produced. its the definition of function over form and its beautiful

Of the apps I've tried, the one that works best for me is VLC. I don't love the desktop version, so that came as a surprise, but it was the only thing that reliably paid attention to ID3 tags. The main downside I've run into is that it can't connect to SMBv2/3 shares. Oddly, it can play content from those shares if you open it via an SMBv2/3-capable app like Solid Explorer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Toast Museum posted:

The main downside I've run into is that it can't connect to SMBv2/3 shares.

This is working fine for me btw. I'd never actually tried it until now but it connected and played without issue

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I was all set to recommend Samba Music Player, but then I reread the request, and they're asking for streaming from phone to PC.

Still, for anyone looking to stream from PC to phone, I can recommend Samba. It's 100% free, no ads, shows album art, and reads ID3 tags. I just put whatever I want to stream into the Public Music folder of my PC.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

SpookyLizard posted:

i would forgo any other music app on my phone to have foobar on it, its literally the best music player ever produced. its the definition of function over form and its beautiful

Uhh...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.foobar2000.foobar2000

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Useless as a phone music player, 4/5 stars :hmmyes:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I'm going to purge a bunch of users on my instance of ttrss mentioned in the OP who haven't logged in in over a year so if you want to keep your account login sometime in the next week-ish.

It's still open for registration so if you want a good Google Reader-esque rss feed aggregator/reader go ahead and register.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Toast Museum posted:

Of the apps I've tried, the one that works best for me is VLC. I don't love the desktop version, so that came as a surprise, but it was the only thing that reliably paid attention to ID3 tags. The main downside I've run into is that it can't connect to SMBv2/3 shares. Oddly, it can play content from those shares if you open it via an SMBv2/3-capable app like Solid Explorer.
As an aside, VLC for Windows is the easiest way to play locally stored music on a Google Home/Nest Mini, if you don't run Plex or other streaming applications.
Go into Playback/Renderer and it will find you Chromecast enabled devices, and you just pick the one you prefer instead of using <Local>.

It works as a DLNA server, so it's not perfect (pauses between tracks etc), but it's nice to be able to cast the stuff I haven't uploaded to GPM.
It also took me a while to find this solution, so I thought I would mention it here, in case others have been looking for something similar.

(sorry for the Windows derail)

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Skarsnik posted:

This is working fine for me btw. I'd never actually tried it until now but it connected and played without issue

Ha, apparently they added SMB2/3 support a year ago. Guess I can drop that caveat!

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
This makes me feel better about admitting that I've started using YT Music more lately. Somehow GPM has gotten much worse about gapless playback lately (I first noticed it when Abbey Road deluxe came out, for obvious reasons). That was actually my main dislike of YT Music originally, and it's still somehow not perfect, but it's better than GPM in its current state.

Other than that, I would say that while I don't have any particular feeling that it's gotten better, it doesn't seem actively bad, which it used to. Pair that with dark mode and not losing all my history, and I guess I'm satisfied.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

bull3964 posted:

WTF? Google seems to be using their whole rear end with something? Someone bored in quarantine?

https://www.engadget.com/youtube-music-google-play-music-library-transfer-150022835.html

I signed up for GPM and got YTR packaged when it initially rolled out a million years ago. I don't give a poo poo what app I'm using (GPM vs YTM) but I want to know if my pricing and packaged YTR remains intact. Obviously don't want to pay more and if I see a YT commercial I'll blow my brains out.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I signed up for GPM and got YTR packaged when it initially rolled out a million years ago. I don't give a poo poo what app I'm using (GPM vs YTM) but I want to know if my pricing and packaged YTR remains intact. Obviously don't want to pay more and if I see a YT commercial I'll blow my brains out.

Yeah, it'll stay the same.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
I am looking for an app that records device metrics (i.e. CPU& memory usage, temperature, battery level) and pushes it to a server (preferably collectd or influxdb). I tried googling but couldn't find anything conclusive. Any recommendations?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

DrBouvenstein posted:

Anyone know of a fix for this or if there's a bug report somewhere?

I have tried to google this endlessly, but it's not an easily search-able problem.

This exact issue is happening to me. Not sure if there's a fix.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

It's not good shall we say. Poweramp FTW.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Yes, it is terrible (a laughably bad ui in tyool 2020), but it is foobar2k. :shrug:

E: hell it would have been a laughably bad ui when the first android phone came out.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Yes, it is terrible (a laughably bad ui in tyool 2020), but it is foobar2k. :shrug:

E: hell it would have been a laughably bad ui when the first android phone came out.

Laughably bad UI is Foobar's whole schtick, though. That's its whole raison d'etre. It is reaction to aesthetic beauty in music player form. It could just as easily have been SCADA software or a towel rack, just so long as it remains ugly.

I still feel like no matter how bad the Android product is, there's no way it could live up (down?) to the expectations set by the Windows software. You'd think the standard Android libraries alone would be such that it would disappoint just by virtue of being too similar to other barebones apps of a similar nature while lacking the absolute dogshit appearance a Foobar user would have come to demand.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah but it's a lot less bad with a kb, mouse, and some customizations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Yeah but it's a lot less bad with a kb, mouse, and some customizations.

Oh it totally works, that's the thing, it's just anti-beautiful. With Android I feel like "bad" is usually "steals your data, installs malware, and doesn't work". You really have to work hard to make an app function well and be ugly. The best you can get is looking way too iOS or perhaps just generic but never straight up ugly.

That said after I wrote what I wrote I went to the Foobar Play Store page and you know what, those bastards really did it. The screenshots are from a Gingerbread device, with a few Honeycomb(!) screenies thrown in. The iconography is incredible. The reviews state the thing works as advertised and it is ghastly in appearance. The app probably belongs in a museum or a hall of fame somewhere. I thought it was a needle that couldn't be threaded and it was. If the now playing screen was somehow... I don't want to say worse but I do mean to say "on brand" I think it might just be the most perfect app.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

LastInLine posted:

What weather app, or perhaps more importantly, what weather API, have all you DarkSky users migrated to? The feature from DarkSky I care most about is the "Drizzle starting in 18 minutes, stopping 25 minutes later" notification and secondly an hour-by-hour precipitation view.
A bit late but I don’t think I’ve seen MyRadar mentioned; it’s more of a radar app but it does real-time precipitation alerts (doesn’t look like it’s using DarkSky’s API so far) and has some precipitation graphing in the forecast view. Might be worth a look, anyway.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

fourwood posted:

A bit late but I don’t think I’ve seen MyRadar mentioned; it’s more of a radar app but it does real-time precipitation alerts (doesn’t look like it’s using DarkSky’s API so far) and has some precipitation graphing in the forecast view. Might be worth a look, anyway.

Actually today I found something that just might work for me.

First a little background. I found out that for my area according to Forecast Advisor the most accurate providers were, in order, The Weather Channel, Foreca, and Dark Sky with WeatherUnderground and AccuWeather close behind and then a HUGE drop off to the others (like around 60% which is about as good as a coin flip).

So okay I had to find something that uses TWC/The Weather Company as a source. Well my favorite one that does that is... Google Weather. It has a good rain%/hour chart and my homescreen widget already points there. To tell the truth I was already leaning this way so this kind of sealed it, but I still was really going to miss precipitation alerts and radar, which I don't find that useful but it's nice to have and Google didn't have it.

Today though I thought what if I could find an app just for my pet feature? Enter Rain Alarm. First off, it's got a clear privacy policy that is EU-compliant which is nice. Secondly, it only does two things: it sends a notification when rain is within parameters the user can specify and it opens to a radar screen. Third, it actually seems to work really well! It even has a WearOS component that when you click on the rain notification it opens to a radar screen right there on the watch.

I'm gonna try it out over the next month but I think it's worth buying. I've got scattered rain predicted throughout this week so I'll get to put it through its paces but I'm pretty confident that this is what I've been wanting. Now it looks like MyRadar is much the same thing. I'll give it a go alongside, thanks. I looked at this earlier but it seemed like way too much radar and way less rain alert but I'm willing to try out goon suggestions and it looks alright.

Edit: Wow, this isn't bad at all. Both apps do what I want and both go about it in slightly different but good ways. MyRadar really has a lot of stuff for a radar nerd, which I'm not, but I think I'm going to like its rain alerts more if they're accurate. Rain Alarm lets me play with the alarm stuff a lot, but in a way I don't really like. I don't want to have to fiddle with parameters to get an alert, I want the optimum alert to just be preconfigured to occur. That said, it's matched Dark Sky alerts one for one all day long so I can't really bitch that the defaults aren't good.

This is going to be a tough call, both apps are pretty good and exactly what I wanted. Thanks, fourwood!

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 06:36 on May 18, 2020

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

LastInLine posted:

This is going to be a tough call, both apps are pretty good and exactly what I wanted. Thanks, fourwood!
Sweet, it sounded like it would be worth a look, at least. I’m more of a radar nerd and don’t really use MyRadar for the forecast bits too much, but for some reason I always found its precipitation alerts better than DarkSky’s (although it’s been long enough that I don’t really remember why...).

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

fourwood posted:

Sweet, it sounded like it would be worth a look, at least. I’m more of a radar nerd and don’t really use MyRadar for the forecast bits too much, but for some reason I always found its precipitation alerts better than DarkSky’s (although it’s been long enough that I don’t really remember why...).

I ended up going with Rain Alert for the pettiest of reasons: MyRadar's notifications didn't look like normal notifications and always came in compressed and cut off the words.

Both apps were very accurate (or at least as accurate as Dark Sky) for the specific task I was wanting, but the forecast data on MyRadar was pure fiction as far as temperature goes. If you care about radar more than the alerts MyRadar was definitely better (with the ability to pay for it to be incredibly better), but Rain Alert's radar is still very good if you only care about rain.

Also the privacy policy of Rain Alert was something that mattered to me. It cost a lot more for a lifetime sub, but MyRadar said they store and sell your data whereas Rain Alert did not. In the end though both are great apps if you care about precip alerts.

The Spookmaster
Sep 9, 2002

Can anyone recommend a Craigslist app that will actually give notifications when new saved searches are posted? Every CL app I've tried doesn't seem to actually do this even though they claim to. I have no problems with offer up or lets go etc..

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

CL won't publish an API and squashes any app that tries to do anything with their data, so good luck.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Is there an Android text messaging app with good anti-spam measures? I get texts for work and I don't know who they might come from, so I can't just rely on disabling alerts for texts from unknown senders. I look at the spam I get and it seems like a pretty simple rule of "unknown sender" + "contains URL other than a whitelisted domain" == spam. Textra can't do that and Google hasn't been real useful but I'm hoping I used the wrong keywords.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Any recommendations for digital photo frame apps for an old tablet that pulls from Onedrive, shows a clock and maybe has rss or other dashboard type stuff?

I'm using the demo version of Fotoo right now which is pretty good but I'm not quite ready to pay £10 for it.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Pretty cool how all the APK download sites have become horse poo poo garbonzo that you have to download proprietary apps for in order to install the drat things. The gently caress am I sposed to update Chrome on my TV now?

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

codo27 posted:

Pretty cool how all the APK download sites have become horse poo poo garbonzo that you have to download proprietary apps for in order to install the drat things. The gently caress am I sposed to update Chrome on my TV now?

If you're referring to APKmirror, that's how APKs for certain things, specifically Google apps are now bundled. The apk basically gets dynamically built by the play store at download time, so there's not a big list of them.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
I'm using a Google Pixel 2XL, and after the latest update if I want to connect a Bluetooth speaker I have to manually go into the settings and connect that way.
Anyone have a workaround?

Also, is there a good app to control the volume levels (eg ringing, Bluetooth headphones, wired headphones, messages) that allows you to change or lock them independently?

I was using Vollynux, but it now seems to mute anything Bluetooth annoyingly.

the_lion fucked around with this message at 04:15 on May 25, 2020

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

the_lion posted:

Also, is there a good app to control the volume levels (eg ringing, Bluetooth headphones, wired headphones, messages) that allows you to change or lock them independently?

A few versions of Android ago, Google decided to link ringer volume and notification volumes together. Yes it's incredibly dumb and there are 300 page threads of people complaining about it on various forums around the web, but unfortunately the only way around it is to root and install GravityBox (essentially it's a root app that unveils all the SystemUI features that Google hides). Then in there, there's an option to have all volume "bars" show up when you use the volume up and down buttons and there's a second option that unlinks ringer and notification volumes.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Or you could buy a Samsung phone which still has separate sliders.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

A few versions of Android ago, Google decided to link ringer volume and notification volumes together. Yes it's incredibly dumb and there are 300 page threads of people complaining about it on various forums around the web, but unfortunately the only way around it is to root and install GravityBox (essentially it's a root app that unveils all the SystemUI features that Google hides). Then in there, there's an option to have all volume "bars" show up when you use the volume up and down buttons and there's a second option that unlinks ringer and notification volumes.

I have a bone stock pixel 2 and if I hit the volume button it gives me a slider (which controls media volume) and directly under that slider, a button that gives me this menu:

My phone also keeps the same volume on each Bluetooth device I connect. When it connects to the car it's at full volume, but if I disconnect and pair up my headphones, volume is at 50 percent.

I don't think I set that up. Is that not a stock thing?

It won't let me adjust the volumes of headphones/wired phones/etc without the device paired and active, which is what I think they're asking for?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

St_Ides posted:

I have a bone stock pixel 2 and if I hit the volume button it gives me a slider (which controls media volume) and directly under that slider, a button that gives me this menu:

My phone also keeps the same volume on each Bluetooth device I connect. When it connects to the car it's at full volume, but if I disconnect and pair up my headphones, volume is at 50 percent.

It won't let me adjust the volumes of headphones/wired phones/etc without the device paired and active, which is what I think they're asking for?

Notifications and ringer used to be separate.

I think how Bluetooth works depends on the device? I notice that my speaker and phone volumes are independent while my headphone and phone volumes are linked.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

dissss posted:

Or you could buy a Samsung phone which still has separate sliders.

And still allows for more than 4 notification icons in the status bar

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

Ah, that explains it. Thanks!

St_Ides posted:

Yep, that's exactly what happens for me - you just summed it up better. For your example though, my Bluetooth speaker is set to zero volume every time I connect and I have no idea why.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Youtube music just gave me a free Google Home Nest Mini. I hadn't seen anyone else post anything about it. App just had a full screen notification about it when I opened it.

Lowen SoDium fucked around with this message at 02:59 on May 30, 2020

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
It seems like it's US only this time around according to this article on Android Police, where they also provide a link to check if you are eligeble.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I'm am admitting I am getting really specific with this question here but does anyone here use a reminder app where the reminders that show up in the notification menu will "survive" a reboot? Business Calendar does this and I love it (I won't forget an appointment or a friend's birthday if my phone reboots for some reason) and I was hoping to find a reminder app that did this. One that isn't Google Keep or Microsoft To-Do because they both have certain issues that really bother me which I won't get into because I doubt anyone cares about my nerd-raging.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Fart of Presto posted:

It seems like it's US only this time around according to this article on Android Police, where they also provide a link to check if you are eligeble.

Nice, the link in that article worked for me even though I didn't get anything telling me so in the YT Music app.

Of course, I've already got 4 Home Mini's and a Nest Hub Max...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

I've got an LG aristo 3 updated (officially) to pie and they are still separate. Is that an LG thing like with Samsung?

Lowen SoDium posted:

Youtube music just gave me a free Google Home Nest Mini. I hadn't seen anyone else post anything about it. App just had a full screen notification about it when I opened it.

Gonna be a bunch of those for sale real cheap pretty soon.

Thermopyle posted:

Nice, the link in that article worked for me even though I didn't get anything telling me so in the YT Music app.

Of course, I've already got 4 Home Mini's and a Nest Hub Max...

See?