Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Travelers was way more engaging and intelligent than I would have expected from a random Netflix show.

Travelers was really good. The skydiving episode in particular - reminded me of playing a video game over and over learning from each failure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I really liked Upload too, it strikes a weird an fun balance between serious/funny, light/dark, absurd/plausible. Kinda too short, tough

Im binging Boardwalk Empire and wow, is amazing. I guess one could describe it as "Scorsese's The Wire". Buscemi is fantastic, but also the whole cast is

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
I started watching Dead To Me's second series, and I had to turn it off after like, 10 minutes. I was impressed with how the first series managed to avoid going full on melodrama/cringe comedy and was happy to see it stick the landing, and I realized then that if it didn't stop there it'd probably turn into a string of BUT OH NO situations the characters have to weasle their way out of for 10 episodes.

Am I right? Or is it still worth watching?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Meatgrinder posted:

I started watching Dead To Me's second series, and I had to turn it off after like, 10 minutes. I was impressed with how the first series managed to avoid going full on melodrama/cringe comedy and was happy to see it stick the landing, and I realized then that if it didn't stop there it'd probably turn into a string of BUT OH NO situations the characters have to weasle their way out of for 10 episodes.

Yeah I'd like to know too, seeing as I haven't gotten around to season 2 yet. The first season was fantastic.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Red Oktober posted:

Travelers was really good. The skydiving episode in particular - reminded me of playing a video game over and over learning from each failure.

The best part for me was not realizing that the third season was the last and was two episodes shorter so I went into the finale thinking it was a setup for a season finale so it was genuinely surprisingly when main characters started getting aced.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Meatgrinder posted:

I never got into it but my girlfriend is and she loved the 2nd season.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Meatgrinder posted:

Same! Watched the first episode of the second season last night and we had zero impulse to watch another one. End of first episode spoiler I hate Steve’s actor and his first character in the show-why did they bring him back?

landobee
Nov 25, 2004
Be Water
Is Longmire worth watching?

Edit: thanks!

landobee fucked around with this message at 08:32 on May 18, 2020

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yeah

Isolationist
Oct 18, 2005

The implication.

DjLando posted:

Is Longmire worth watching?

Edit: thanks!

Surprisingly, it maintains the rural charm throughout and ends reasonably well. There are some scenery chewing roles too. Oddly, the main character is an Australian actor best known for his time on Home and Away!

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
Did somebody mention 'crash landing on you' already?

If you like funny Korean action drama campy love spy stuff behind the DMZ, then you are missing out if you're not watching.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

mrfart posted:

Did somebody mention 'crash landing on you' already?

If you like funny Korean action drama campy love spy stuff behind the DMZ, then you are missing out if you're not watching.

I watched this. It's like twice as long as it needs to be and like 30% of the show is the 2 leads looking into each others eyes as the music swells but the depiction of DPRK is pretty good.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

So I've watched the first four episodes of Devils, a financial drama set at a London investment bank. It's a Sky show so it's only out in the EU I believe. I am, of course, totally a UK citizen watching it legally. Anyway I am really enjoying it so far. It's kind of like a much darker Billions. I highly recommend it. I've watched every good show ever made in the US so I am getting heavy into European TV and there really is quite a lot of great stuff that you just never hear about in the US. Gangs of London was loving amazing, although it is coming to the US later this year apparently.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Hustled through White Lines on Netflix. Decent miniseries in the line of the Night Manager and the Widow. Liked it more than the latter, less than the former.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Halfway through Bosch now. I wish it were as good as the Wire but I fear nothing will be. It's like they said: never great, but never a dull episode. A solid, what-you-see-is-what-you-get detective show. The stuff with his mum's murder is dragging a bit though.

I like what the show is doing with the relationship with his daughter - usually in shows like this you see a portrayal of how his need to throw himself into his work at the expense of everything else ruins those relationships, but here that all seems to have already happened before the series started. Instead it shows how he's working to improve and build on that relationship to make up for the previous neglect. I hope that trend continues.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I didn't realize HBO was pulling their shows from Prime mid month. I was halfway through s2 of Carnivale.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Cactus posted:

I wish it were as good as the Wire but I fear nothing will be.

Nothing is or will ever be as good as the wire

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

wormil posted:

I didn't realize HBO was pulling their shows from Prime mid month. I was halfway through s2 of Carnivale.

gently caress really? I finally got my wife interested in the wire.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
It took me long enough but The Terror is great. Jared Harris is an amazing actor, and I’m always down for a mini Rome reunion.

I haven’t finished it, but if my memory serves me correctly (it has been 13 years since I read the book) it is doing the book justice.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

wormil posted:

Weird that's how it felt watching it live too

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

magiccarpet posted:

Weird that's how it felt watching it live too

:lol: Yeah, I already knew it ends on a cliffhanger.

Maybe it was the years of hype but I'm not in love with Carnivale as much as I expected to be. I love the characters, the settings, the acting, the side plots, but the main plot (whatever it is) doesn't engage me. It's kind of a murky narrative. I could just watch a soap of the carnival and it's characters traveling around the dustbowl.

wormil fucked around with this message at 05:31 on May 22, 2020

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Sherlock is such a fantastic show. I can't believe I did not watch it sooner.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Sherlock is such a fantastic show. I can't believe I did not watch it sooner.

Shame it ended after series 2 with no follow-up. I'm sure they would have kept the quality up.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

nate fisher posted:

It took me long enough but The Terror is great. Jared Harris is an amazing actor, and I’m always down for a mini Rome reunion.

I haven’t finished it, but if my memory serves me correctly (it has been 13 years since I read the book) it is doing the book justice.

Please never watch season 2. Imagine there wasn’t one. There was never a season 2.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Shame it ended after series 2 with no follow-up. I'm sure they would have kept the quality up.

Good news

It has 4 series now

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Good news

It has 4 series now

You are incorrect it ended after 2

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Good news

It has 4 series now

He was facetiously suggesting that seasons three and four are trash and not worth considering to have even existed.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
We just finished watching all nine series of Taskmaster. Such a fantastically stupid, fun show.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Torquemada posted:

He was facetiouslycorrectly suggesting that seasons three and four are trash and not worth considering to have even existed.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

wormil posted:

:lol: Yeah, I already knew it ends on a cliffhanger.

Maybe it was the years of hype but I'm not in love with Carnivale as much as I expected to be. I love the characters, the settings, the acting, the side plots, but the main plot (whatever it is) doesn't engage me. It's kind of a murky narrative. I could just watch a soap of the carnival and it's characters traveling around the dustbowl.

The plot starts to payoff in the last two episodes or something. After you watch that, jump online as the mythology is explained pretty well and the future episodes would have been great. Clancy Brown my dudes.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I have also been watching Banshee and that got pulled too.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Started up S2 of Dead to Me and, goddamn, no "last season on Dead to Me?" C'mon Netflix, it's been a year.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Lycus posted:

Started up S2 of Dead to Me and, goddamn, no "last season on Dead to Me?" C'mon Netflix, it's been a year.

I got a recap when I started it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Carnivale was less plot than t was just a very different kind of thing done well that has now been done a lot more.

Carnivale's plot isn't bad. But if I remember right the plan was for a 6 season run where the first 2 seasons are the First Act. So things don't start coming into picture til midway through the second season/near the end of the First Act. That makes sense but also is probably a bad way to do a TV show if you're not promised 6 seasons.

wormil posted:

I have also been watching Banshee and that got pulled too.

That makes me hope the Cinemax shows are gonna be on HBO Max. That's been a question I've had ever since HBO cut off my access to Max Go.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Contrary to the stupid picture that makes it look like a teen romance, the Outer Banks is actually an aged up Goonies 3 and it rules.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

Carnivale was less plot than t was just a very different kind of thing done well that has now been done a lot more.

Carnivale's plot isn't bad. But if I remember right the plan was for a 6 season run where the first 2 seasons are the First Act. So things don't start coming into picture til midway through the second season/near the end of the First Act. That makes sense but also is probably a bad way to do a TV show if you're not promised 6 seasons.

I think it was also incredibly expensive to make, which was probably a big factor in why it got cancelled. It's been years since I've watched it but I'm still super bummed about it getting canceled. If Carnivale came out 10 years later I bet they would have been able to do the entire planned run.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean even today a 6 season plan is a whole lot to demand. But like you could probably tell Seasons 1 and 2 as a 2 part/pod season like the way Netflix and Amazon or even some network shows divide up some seasons. So basically a 3 season plan in 6 parts/pods? That's more feasible.

It was a very ambitious plan and a very well executed from what we saw, but it was probably just TOO ambitious.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Please never watch season 2. Imagine there wasn’t one. There was never a season 2.

I thought season 2 was fine.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
We binged Travelers Season 1 in under a week and are now two episodes into Season 2. It's an excellent Canadian sci-fi show that's a cross between Person of Interest and Quantum Leap. If there was discussion about it here, I never paid attention because it was completely under my radar, but my wife and I are hooked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Travelers is great yeah. It got cancelled but then Netflix gave it a final season.