Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Still think Jan was robbed of a much higher placement. You would think that being extra is a positive attribute for being a drag queen.

Personally I think Jaida is the strongest candidate for winning this season. In terms of production optics, she would be the first black pageant queen since... Tyra. That's a long rear end time! Gigi is a campier version of Aquaria/Violet and probably one of the least interesting queens in a season full of weirdos. Crystal is definitely a behind the others in terms of overall drag but that's okay because she'd make for a really fun All Stars season. The only thing that sucks for her is that she would be a shoe in for Miss Congeniality if she wasn't on the same season as Heidi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Eej posted:

Still think Jan was robbed of a much higher placement. You would think that being extra is a positive attribute for being a drag queen.

Personally I think Jaida is the strongest candidate for winning this season. In terms of production optics, she would be the first black pageant queen since... Tyra. That's a long rear end time! Gigi is a campier version of Aquaria/Violet and probably one of the least interesting queens in a season full of weirdos. Crystal is definitely a behind the others in terms of overall drag but that's okay because she'd make for a really fun All Stars season. The only thing that sucks for her is that she would be a shoe in for Miss Congeniality if she wasn't on the same season as Heidi.

While I like Jan, the only queen that beat her undeservedly was arguably Widow and I can’t really cry about one placement. It’s possible if Jan had got some actual critique earlier she would have been able to turn down being full blast all the time that may have allowed her more success. But of what we were shown she’s more or less in the right placement.

I’m also Team Jaida, but I wouldn’t mind any of the 3 winning, honestly.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Jan was kind of boned by being safe constantly imo, yeah. She's super talented and super high energy, but she was also super one note for me and by halfway through the season the magic was gone for me.

If she had more time with the judges maybe she could have course corrected some.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
Jan...more like...BLAND

Got 'em

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

esperterra posted:

Jan was kind of boned by being safe constantly imo, yeah. She's super talented and super high energy, but she was also super one note for me and by halfway through the season the magic was gone for me.

If she had more time with the judges maybe she could have course corrected some.

I feel exactly the same about Gigi, she looks great but she struggles with anything else.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Do you think Gigi got her Vegas prize... Before?

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Pinwiz11 posted:

Do you think Gigi got her Vegas prize... Before?

and the prize is mandatory :ohdear:

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Gigi undoubtably did better than Nicki in performances and I know that's not just a thing but the main thing but drat man, everything Nicki brought was so much better than Gigi

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Bertha the Toaster posted:

I feel exactly the same about Gigi, she looks great but she struggles with anything else.

I wouldn’t necessarily say that. I thought she was great in Snatch and the Rusicals, and really good in Worst and Gay’s Anatomy. If she has time to prepare she does well. What Gigi is bad at is thinking on her feet and course correcting when things don’t go as planned.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Just watched the newest episode last night and the most :aaa: moment was when they said Sherry is 27 years old. What the gently caress? She looks my age, and I'm old as balls.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah I keep forgetting Sherry is four loving years younger than me 'til someone brings it up.

Gelf
Oct 1, 2005

Wake up and smell the psychosis!\

Trig Discipline posted:

Just watched the newest episode last night and the most :aaa: moment was when they said Sherry is 27 years old. What the gently caress? She looks my age, and I'm old as balls.

Husband and I had the same reaction. Still can't quite get our heads around it.

The Sherry shaped hole stemming from the hacksaw edit which WoW scrambled to poo poo out in time for broadcast has been one of the most entertaining things about this season TBH. I wonder if Ru and Michelle have had footage of them being effusive towards Sherry permanently deleted so that it never sees the light of day again!

The final Untucked of any given season is already a boring drama-free slog, but the lack of content was especially apparent in this week's "clip show" version of Untucked.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
My theory is that sherry was given a villain edit and their legal department said they couldn't actually do that for whatever reason, the way they did the edit was so weird

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

My theory is that sherry was given a villain edit and their legal department said they couldn't actually do that for whatever reason, the way they did the edit was so weird

she couldn't possibly have survived without lipsyncing if that was the case, especially for how much of a nonpresence she ended up being

I'd literally bet $100 she was the narrator of the season and had ten bajillion confessionals, and is therefore why we have so much particularly crystal and jackie in the take we got. she had so many confessionals in ep 2.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Zvahl posted:

she couldn't possibly have survived without lipsyncing if that was the case, especially for how much of a nonpresence she ended up being

I'd literally bet $100 she was the narrator of the season and had ten bajillion confessionals, and is therefore why we have so much particularly crystal and jackie in the take we got. she had so many confessionals in ep 2.

This is the right take. In what little we do see of her, the judges have nothing but praises, and the other queens seem to really enjoy her. If they had the negative footage, they would use it.

She had everyone fooled.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

I still can't believe she's not 45.

I wonder how many creepy comments about Gigi or any of the others were lost in the Sherry edit. If everything is true, and it appears that a lot is based on Sherry's comments and apology, then I could see her being comfortable hitting on the others.

MichiganCubbie fucked around with this message at 14:23 on May 18, 2020

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Sherry sure was busting a nut over Jaida's shoulders in her talking head in episode 2! I wouldn't be surprised if Sherry was also hitting on others, either directly or in her confessionals.

I can't tell if I'm surprised they didn't edit out Sherry's multiple lyrics about "force feeding" throughout the season, or if I 100% would have expected them to leave that in.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Ironic Twist posted:

Jan...more like...BLAND

Got 'em

<:mad:>

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Is this the first season where they didn't have a heart-to-heart tictac/podcast/whatever in the penultimate episode? Or maybe they did have one, but cut it out completely just because it would've been awkward whether or not they kept that one queen's part :tinfoil:

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

I kind of wonder if a Top 4 was originally planned, in which case...shouldn't Jackie also be in the running?

My brain is Team Jaida and my heart is Team Crystal. :colbert: Gigi isn't even in my top five of the season.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

I figure since the finale isn't going to be a lipsync battle, so 3 works better than 4 with whatever shortened format they're going with plus it would be hard to edit around Jackie's very explicit dismissal.

My idea for the finale is they each got a camera and had to produce their very own "social media ready" music video or whatever in the confines of their quarantine bunker.

Read After Burning posted:

My brain is Team Jaida and my heart is Team Crystal. :colbert: Gigi isn't even in my top five of the season.

Same. Crystal is so drat adorkable. Jaida is polished as hell and very likeable in her own right. Gigi is okay but she sometimes comes across too much as "My PhD parent helped me with my science project." even though she's clearly talented too.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I kind of wonder if a Top 4 was originally planned, in which case...shouldn't Jackie also be in the running?

A Top 4 most certainly was planned, but with Sherry's disqualification and the fact they can't film a normal finale, I imagine paring it down to a Top 3 again makes the whole 'digital finale' thing easier to figure out.

But we might get a surprise 'Jackie is taking the 4th spot!' moment in the reunion or finale itself.

goodog
Nov 3, 2007

big black turnout posted:

Just getting caught up but on the topic of last week:
1. How do these people not know what an acid tab is

RuPaul used to drop acid at least once a week. So either he was feigning ignorance, or he's simply forgotten most of that era.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiXdIdAgHzE

Cafe Barbarian
Apr 22, 2016

There's one roulade I can't sing

Jackie should be top 4 but it doesn't really matter because imo they're throwing it to Gigi regardless. But despite the obvious rigging Jackie had an amazing showing, talk about charisma, uniqueness, nerve and talent! I think she won that lipsync against Crystal as well, Jackie has amazing secret lipsync skills.

The vegas show seems incredibly dire.

Cafe Barbarian fucked around with this message at 19:01 on May 19, 2020

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Crowning a queen who bombed the political challenge for not being engaged in politics on a season that ends every episode with a sign saying vote would be quite 2020.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

gandlethorpe posted:

Crowning a queen who bombed the political challenge for not being engaged in politics on a season that ends every episode with a sign saying vote would be quite 2020.

Every time the judges heap praise on her, my partner throws his hands up in disgust, and I hit him with the good ol'

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yeah, Jackie was awesome this season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xu3ccumh-Ds

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

If Ru wanted a camp queen to make it to the finale, he should've picked the good one.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire
I have a handful of comments

1. It's nice to know that Sherry came out of the gate strong but kind of petered out over the course of the season
2. Crystal was read almost immediately for her same same makeup that covered her face entirely and yet here we are, at the finale, and Sherry is still painting like Homer's makeup gun week after week and nobody is bringing it up. I think she's just this season's "big girl" free ride to the top 4.
3. Even were Sherry not a horror of a human being, I think this season was always going to Jaida. (Barring some extreme finale shenanigans like Sasha's Roses.) She is an extremely well rounded queen that brings flawless looks and good performances, but is honestly lacking in energy and TV personality compared to her peers. Gives me an extremely Kennedy vibe. It makes the most sense for production to take her out of the pool of All Stars candidates, while they're foaming at the mouth to have Crystal/Jackie/Heidi return. Even Gigi could have an "I'm confident/injected now" All Stars run. I can't see Jaida ever having that.
4. I hear what the others are saying about Jan- there's something to be said about the dangers of being perpetually safe early in the season. She never got a storyline attached to her, and, RIP.
5. Yikes at that Vegas show.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

It would be really nice to have a classic pageant queen in the winner's circle. Sure Trinity won All Stars, but lbr by the time she was on All Stars she had kinda given up pageants already and was leaning further into the talents she discovered during S9.

stan Jaida
stan excellence

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Speaking of looks > talent, I've never actually seen Season 2 (other than a Best of Jujubee compliation, aka my All Stars 5 winner :colbert:). I hear a lot of folks, at least at the time, accused Tyra of only winning due to favoritism and/or being pretty.

Is this actually correct? Do any of y'all have any opinions, particularly any OG fans who watched the early seasons as they aired? I'm a relative latecomer to the RPDR phenomenon, as I only hopped on during Season 9.

I know the actual answer is "Watch it yourself", but I really dislike Raven and don't know if I can deal with an entire season of her.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

Speaking of looks > talent, I've never actually seen Season 2 (other than a Best of Jujubee compliation, aka my All Stars 5 winner :colbert:). I hear a lot of folks, at least at the time, accused Tyra of only winning due to favoritism and/or being pretty.

Is this actually correct? Do any of y'all have any opinions, particularly any OG fans who watched the early seasons as they aired? I'm a relative latecomer to the RPDR phenomenon, as I only hopped on during Season 9.

I know the actual answer is "Watch it yourself", but I really dislike Raven and don't know if I can deal with an entire season of her.

A poignant example of why people hate Tyra is the wedding episode- they go out of their way to show how Tyra finishes her look early, and goes out of her way to be a loud nuisance to make it difficult for the other queens to work. Tatianna calls her out on it on the main stage, and all the queens agree with her.
Tyra is then immediately awarded the win.
She's got a heck of an ego on her and it grinds all season.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Raven owns, you should watch every season with Raven in it

Ru was really, blatantly enamoured with Tyra and there are multiple times where you think she should be out but mysteriously stayed on

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Raven and Tyra are both amazing, so talented and great TV. Watch it.

I never felt Tyra was undeserved

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Raven is my favourite Ru Girl not named Willam or Jinkx.

Tyra won season 2. She loving slayed it. People disliked her because she didn't get on well with the girls, and sometimes would just coast by on the immunities she kept winning because she could. Raven was the more popular choice because, while she was also a complete bitch, she was a charismatic and funny one joined at the hip with fan fave Juju.

Tyra arguably performed better all season. She was never in the bottom. Raven spent much of the first half of the season low or in the bottom. Top that off with her completely loving slaying the final lip sync (god I miss when the top 2 would lip sync and they'd crown a bitch on the spot. gently caress you perez hilton) and as much as I wanted Raven to win, Tyra deserved it.

Besides, who really won in the end? Raven out here being Ru's new Mathu Anderson.

e: like back when it aired i was sad raven lost but i wasn't angry tyra won. she did so loving well and had the best track record. back then the person with the best track record basically always won. the only time it was really a real toss up was raja and manila, who were tied w/r/t performance all year. and even then you knew raja was winning from day loving one really

e2: i miss when you would win immunity and then they'd remove it halfway thru the season

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Raven Was Robbed is a common take on S2. I don't know if that's entirely true, Tyra was absolutely gorgeous on the runway.

Tyra is no longer performing drag. My take is she's not a very nice person which resulted in her not booking many gigs (also RPDR wasn't huge until season 4 or so anyway) and she didn't handle social media well at all. She got a lot of online hatred and partly in response was really hostile, abusive, and threatened violence on social media.

Sort of a cautionary tale like with how Phi Phi is treated. They were shady bitches early in RPDR before most queens realized they had to play nice on TV or get buried in endless hatred from social media.

edit: I'd agree that the crown could have gone to either Tyra or Raven, they both deserved it. Tyra just royally hosed up everything after Drag Race, she didn't use her fifteen minutes of fame well, her career didn't get much of a boost, and she was really bitter about it all.

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 21:15 on May 19, 2020

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The intense hatred she had during the season and then after her win certainly didn't help her attitude. But her behaviour after the fact has always been a dumb reason imo to complain that Raven didn't win. Tyra won fair and square, Raven beat out every other queen than her which is a loving amazing accomplishment.

Besides, after AS1 it gaves us the blessed and eternal in joke of Raven always taking second place.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Oh, god, immunity from winning the mini-challenges! I completely forgot about that. Mini-challenges have felt so boring compared to past seasons. We were doing re-watch of Season 6, and seeing some queens no doubt mess up their entrance looks by jumping into foam pit (or the water photoshoot from S5) made me think of how mundane the mini-challenges have seemed lately.

I still love Vivacious so much, and I demand to see Jaidynn Diore Fierce on my TV screen again.

Edit: my All Stars dream cast includes Jaymes Mansfield (in my top 5 all-time favs, watch her on Youtube!), Jaidynn, Joslyn, Ms. Kasha Davis, and Max, if they aren't too peeved from how they were apparently treated with the S7 edit.

Read After Burning fucked around with this message at 21:23 on May 19, 2020

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
Raven "no chocolate no rice" lost all my respect when she called Bob the Drag Queen the equivalent of an affirmative action win or some other dumb poo poo. Then came out a long list of racism from her against black queens. Anyways, Bob had to deal with that which royally sucked.

But then Tyra also threatened to blow up drag con.

So in my mind jujubee is the true winner of s2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

Oh, god, immunity from winning the mini-challenges! I completely forgot about that. Mini-challenges have felt so boring compared to past seasons. We were doing re-watch of Season 6, and seeing some queens no doubt mess up their entrance looks by jumping into foam pit (or the water photoshoot from S5) made me think of how mundane the mini-challenges have seemed lately.

I still love Vivacious so much, and I demand to see Jaidynn Diore Fierce on my TV screen again.

Edit: my All Stars dream cast includes Jaymes Mansfield (in my top 5 all-time favs, watch her on Youtube!), Jaidynn, Joslyn, Ms. Kasha Davis, and Max, if they aren't too peeved from how they were apparently treated with the S7 edit.

I think immunity was for the following episode when you won the main challenge, and Tyra was a large part of the reason they stopped doing that.