Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

It was decision time. Once again, it took most of the Karens only a few moments to make up their own minds, but many more moments were spent foot-tapping and throat-clearing as everyone waited for someone else to Say The Thing We're All Thinking, which was that Karen the Craft Store Owner wasn't really selling the Karen brand very well.

Finally, though, there was no ignoring the elephant in the room any longer. Which was a metaphor, not a comment about Karen the Craft Store Owner's wait. Although let's be honest, she was also a few pounds heavier than was ideal for a Karen. Probably mixing regular Sprite with her vodka instead of Diet or something.

Still, they couldn't stone her for that, so they'd have to find something else. As they were poring over the covenant, though, she sealed her own fate.

She'd pulled her wallet out of her purse and started showing the rest of them pictures of her family, hoping that would soften their hearts. However, someone remarked that in the photo she was missing the crow's feet they'd all noticed but hadn't wanted to mention. Which led to the question of when the photo was actually taken.

Late 2017. Over two full years ago.

The covenant specified that family photos kept in one's wallet must have been taken within the past year. If she'd let her photo get so out of date, she probably didn't even love her family at all. What kind of monster didn't love her family? And what other sorts of atrocities could such a monster commit?

Atrocities was one thing they definitely didn't want, so they grabbed some lengths of pipe from a hardware locker and beat her to death.

Unfortunately, they were wrong again, but whatever, it was probably someone else's fault.

Retro Futurist, Karen Schultz, Craft Store Owner (Town-Aligned Vanilla) has been stoned D4!

It is now N4! Actions please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

FINAL Votecount for Day 4

Retro Futurist (5): Scientastic, Scientastic, Scientastic, Mr. Steak, Token Female, Leith Maclaine, IllegallySober
Nep-Nep (1): Retro Futurist
Execute No One! (0): Retro Futurist, Retro Futurist

Not Voting (3): hambeet, Nep-Nep, Your Personal Muse

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

When the lights came back on, it seemed things had fallen back into a familiar pattern. One Karen had been drenched with acid and partially dissolved, while another had gone missing, leaving only foul-smelling wisps of smoke.

Nervously, the remaining Karens looked around at once another, worried that they might be outnumbered. A fray didn't break out immediately, however, so it seemed there were still some decisions to be made.

Leith Maclaine, Karen Schultz, Financial Advisor (Town-Aligned Reverse Mason Recruiter) has been doused with acid N4!
Your Personal Muse, Karen Schultz, Insurance Agent (???-Aligned ?????) has gone up in smoke N4!

Reverse Mason Recruiter role posted:

You have no targeted night action. However, any non-killing action targeting you is replaced with that of an Unconfirmed Mason Recruiter.

Their originally-intended action will fail. They’ll be informed (with appropriate flavor) that you’ve forced them to engage in conversation instead. Neither of your alignments will be confirmed to the other. You’ll be able to talk with them out of thread for the rest of the game or until one of you dies.

All the Masonries formed this way are separate. If you are recruited into multiple Masonries this way, the other parties won’t be able to talk with each other without going through you (unless, of course, they have some other way of talking out of thread).

It is now D5!

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 5

Not Voting (6): hambeet, IllegallySober, Mr. Steak, Nep-Nep, Scientastic, Token Female

With 6 alive, it's 4 votes to execute. The current deadline is May 20th, 2020 at 9 p.m. EDT -- that's in about 2 days, 8 hours.

Days are now 48+ hours instead of 72+ hours from now until the end of the game.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Super cool. Great work, everybody.

Unless the SK is catching scum or some/all of these people return if we flip the SK, I suspect we are screwed. But I’ll give it my best shot anyway.

Anyone have any useful night results to report?

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i think today's the day i should fullclaim. i'll just wait for most everyone to check in before i do.

my claim will partially explain why the game hasn't ended yet.

also, in response to nep's earlier confusion, i didn't perform any action on hal n2 besides send the note. it wasn't a n2 night action that gave me my information, but a d3 day action

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
oh, i just realized there are 4 votes to execute. so even if there were 3 scum alive the game wouldnt end. still though

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Mr. Steak posted:

i think today's the day i should fullclaim. i'll just wait for most everyone to check in before i do.

my claim will partially explain why the game hasn't ended yet.

I agree.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Mr. Steak posted:

also, in response to nep's earlier confusion, i didn't perform any action on hal n2 besides send the note. it wasn't a n2 night action that gave me my information, but a d3 day action

This would have been useful information yesterday.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
on a similar note, i also think today should be a massclaim day regardless.

though its only tf and scientastic that we're missing claims from (besides me)

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

IllegallySober posted:

This would have been useful information yesterday.

i was asleep through deadline, or i woulda said it before

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I'm here but about to do a stream so I won't be active for a couple hours.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ok whatever i'm bored so here's my fullclaim. it's really not as complicated as i was making it out to be, i mainly just wanted to keep scum guessing.

my role is called "diviner/channeler" and it's two one-shot abilities.

diviner is an ability i could use at any time during the night or the day, either publicly or privately, by using the command ##divine. i select a dead karen whose information is hidden, and get their full flip sent to me (or posted in thread if i used it publicly). the flavor was that i stood over the spot where the karen went missing and sensed her identity through mystic bullshit.

channeler was similar in that i could also use it at any time, day or night, in or out of thread. i could use it on any dead player and fully copy their role. i asked xopods if this included players who hadn't flipped, and he said it did. the flavor was similar mystic bullshit about channeling the spirit of the dead karen.

on n1 i immediately used channel on binus's bulletproof, because i'm selfish and wanted to survive. needless to say, it popped on n3. this ability is also why i initially distrusted jed's claim, since that combo would allow for 2 copies of the same role to exist at once. plus the thing where my role says "dead players" and his was only "flipped players".

then, shortly into d3 i decided i wanted to use divine on humalong, since it would be really valuable info if he was actually the cop like he implied. this turned out to be way more valuable than i expected, because not only was humalong scum(!!) but he also had a one-shot ability which turned out to be the exact ability hambeet described happened to him that same night! i already knew it had been used because in humalong's flip, the ability was crossed out and when i asked, xopods clarified that it indeed meant the one-shot ability had been used. i think i don't have to explain why i instantly knew hambeet was town from that moment on. this was also the moment i realized that the janitored flips were in fact coming from the sk. the only reason i didnt correct myself in thread was i had no explanation for why my opinion would have shifted so quickly. so yes, at the beginning of d4 i immediately knew it was the sk who'd tried to kill me, but as i later told leith, it was just a bluff to mock scum lol. and also subtley mock the sk without revealing my knowledge.

so, i know i'm probably gonna get some heat for withholding this information for so long, and i was REALLY struggling with the decision (which you'll see in my confessional after the game, i wrote like 1000 words to myself going back and forth lol). obviously, it would have been beneficial for town to know he was scum, but i did a shitload of close reading on humalong's post history and decided it really wasn't enough content to justify making the info public. seriously, i think i read all of his lovely-rear end posts like 10 times each lmao. but yeah, the reason i chose not to reveal it is that once i did, then scum would be able to stop pretending they had no idea about something they very much did know. i was banking on finding some sort of slip in their logic or awkwardness in their posting based on them knowing humalong was scum. i was SURE i'd found that in RF yesterday, with all his posting about there being 3 scum or whatever, i was positive he was just trying too hard to post from a town perspective and overcompensating. but we all know how that panned out. now i really wish i'd just come clean yesterday so that maybe i could ease RF's panic-mode and he'd still be alive. but whatever, i still stand by my decision with what i knew at the time.

on the topic of humalong's post history though, most of his posting was just useless jokeposts and a ton of white noise nonsense, but i found that the most substantial content of his was in defense of scientastic. which is a big part of why i continued to push for him so heavily. and believe me, it was really fuckin hard to resist the urge to claim and bring up the humalong point during all that, lmao.

so yeah, if you have any questions, i'm more than happy to answer them. but i think i laid everything out quite clearly here.

tl;dr
HUMALONG WAS SCUM.
the janitored kills are all from the sk, the rest were scum.
i am now essentially vanilla.

now, scumhunting.... i'm gonna guess there are 2 scum left plus the sk. which means we're probably in *actual* mylo now. im pretty sure we still have a chance if we hit scum today though... obviously i still very much think scientastic is one of them, but i've already said enough about him. if y'all want to lunch him i'll be way on board, but im not gonna try convincing you more than i already have. as for the other one, my only real options are nep-nep and TF, since i know for a fact hambeet is not scum, and i have an extremely strong town-read on IS. between the two, im leaning towards TF.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Can you summarize Hum’s role then without posting the actual flip if that gets you in trouble?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

So you knew that one of the janitored flips was scum and you kept that information from everyone? What the gently caress, Steak?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

I went into today thinking one of you or Scientastic needed to be the dunk today and this role claim strengthens that belief for me.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Did you know before or after people were saying that he was probably town cop and drawing conclusions about other players’ alignments based on that assumption?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Nep and Steak, does passing your weird chain message on prevent other night actions?

I have the grain of an idea forming...

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

IllegallySober posted:

Can you summarize Hum’s role then without posting the actual flip if that gets you in trouble?

other than the oneshot, standard rolecop

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
scientastic, can you please claim your role?

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Scientastic posted:

Did you know before or after people were saying that he was probably town cop and drawing conclusions about other players’ alignments based on that assumption?

people werent really doing that very much

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

:siren: FULLCLAIM! :siren:

My role is town attractor. Every night I can target a player and attract any night actions aimed at them onto me. It’s very selfless and wonderful: If a player is going to blocked or redirected, I absorb it, but if they are targeted for a kill, I get killed instead.

My actions so far were targeting Hal, Nep, IS and Beet, in that order.

I was trying my best to be a dick for the early stages of the game to stop myself being targeted by scum, so my power would actually be useful.

My flavour has been along the lines that I am very bossy and tell other Karens to come and visit me instead of their intended target.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Scientastic posted:

Nep and Steak, does passing your weird chain message on prevent other night actions?

I have the grain of an idea forming...

and no, it explicitly said it didn't but if i used an ability it had to be on the same person as where i sent the note (which means i explicitly could not use diviner on n2 even if i wanted to)

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Mr. Steak posted:

people werent really doing that very much

Yeah, but it was done at least once. I can’t remember when though, so I don’t know if you could have stopped it or not.

Either way, knowing that Hum was scum is really valuable information, you really shouldn’t have kept that to yourself

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Mr. Steak posted:

and no, it explicitly said it didn't but if i used an ability it had to be on the same person as where i sent the note (which means i explicitly could not use diviner on n2 even if i wanted to)

And who did you claim you used it on N2? I’m trying to work out if it clears you as SK or not...

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Scientastic posted:

Yeah, but it was done at least once. I can’t remember when though, so I don’t know if you could have stopped it or not.

Either way, knowing that Hum was scum is really valuable information, you really shouldn’t have kept that to yourself

sorry, it didn't end up resulting in anything useful, but i really thought it would. anyway, everything's out on the table now

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Scientastic posted:

And who did you claim you used it on N2? I’m trying to work out if it clears you as SK or not...

hal

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

OK, but you claimed that after Hal was dead, right? If we had Hal’s corroboration of that, we could confirm that you didn’t perform the N2 kills... I don’t remember seeing anything in Hal’s posting to suggest he had received a message, if someone who’s not on their phone could check his D3 posting, Steak can’t be the SK, right?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Potentially could still be scum, mind, but worth doing, I feel

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah, i didnt claim that until nep claimed, which was after hal was dead

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Hang on Steak. You knew the entire time that RF was posting that he was making his assumptions based on none of the janitored flips being scum. Why the gently caress didn’t you tell him? We executed RF in part because of those posts and you could have at least given that information to the town and potentially prevented a mislynch.

Jesus Steak, how is it that you decided to not reveal your information at that critical stage?

I am going to try to reread Steak because gently caress me I can’t think of a town motivation to let RF hang himself out to dry like that when his entire play relied on Hum being town.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Scientastic posted:

Hang on Steak. You knew the entire time that RF was posting that he was making his assumptions based on none of the janitored flips being scum. Why the gently caress didn’t you tell him? We executed RF in part because of those posts and you could have at least given that information to the town and potentially prevented a mislynch.

Jesus Steak, how is it that you decided to not reveal your information at that critical stage?

I am going to try to reread Steak because gently caress me I can’t think of a town motivation to let RF hang himself out to dry like that when his entire play relied on Hum being town.

i already said my thought process there. i considered it at first, but as the day went on i just got more convinced he was scum anyway

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Despite the fact he repeatedly said that he thought that there were no dead scum and you knew there was? Do you not see how that might have been useful to know?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I thought he had displayed insider knowledge and you knew he hadn’t. I am completely bemused by your play here.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I need to stop going down this rabbit hole because it’s going to make me non-objective for my reread of Steak.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Scientastic posted:

I thought he had displayed insider knowledge and you knew he hadn’t. I am completely bemused by your play here.

it wouldnt be the first time town made questionable plays this game, ahahaha

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
my case for not being scum: scum nullified hambeet's role and pretty clearly wanted to get him lunched, and i completely ruined that.

my case for not being sk: the sk tried to kill me on n3

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Mr. Steak posted:

my case for not being scum: scum nullified hambeet's role and pretty clearly wanted to get him lunched, and i completely ruined that.

I’ll buy that

Mr. Steak posted:

my case for not being sk: the sk tried to kill me on n3

Forgive me, but I don’t remember this being a thing we know. Have I missed something? What’s the evidence for this claim?

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Scientastic posted:

I’ll buy that

Forgive me, but I don’t remember this being a thing we know. Have I missed something? What’s the evidence for this claim?

there's no evidence except the blocked kill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

And that was when you purport to have played B-‘s BP? Sorry, I feel like you have explained this and I’m being dim