Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Girl Genius is about mad scientists who unconsciously warp reality to make the impossible happen, the how is irrelevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Bud is good with people. Be like Bud.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Though I'll bet that any stupidty has already taken place.

Cassidy isn't some Republic Serial idiot. She probably comitted to her stupid action thirty five minutes ago.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

ConanThe3rd posted:

Cassidy isn't some Republic Serial idiot. She probably comitted to her stupid action thirty five minutes ago.

Yes, when she attacked Undine

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I was meaning a future-to-us (past-to-the-cast) additional act of stupidity.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 18:04 on May 16, 2020

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

fun hater posted:

your comic should be 7000 pages minimum and you should redraw old pages you dislike and you should work by candlelight applying gold leaf to the pages in a monastery in southern france

That hit close to home. I actually had to hold a mini-intervention for NJ to get her to stop redrawing the earlier chapters of Undead Friend.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

oriongates posted:

That hit close to home. I actually had to hold a mini-intervention for NJ to get her to stop redrawing the earlier chapters of Undead Friend.

Tell her if she does that I'll stop reading.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

I'll keep that in my pocket for the next time she has a relapse.

It's definitely a dangerous thing for a webcomic to do. Back when I did my own early-mid-2000s webcomic I couldn't help but try the same thing..my early art was just so ugly (my later art was ugly too, of course...just not quite as ugly) and it was one of the reasons for the eventual collapse of my update schedule.

The only reason I let her go back to redo ch 1 and 2 was because she had several months of buffer at the time and we had come up with some ideas we wanted to insert into those early chapters (and we wanted to add the prologue pages).

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

A Distant Sky chapter one, page 34. In which matters take an unexpected turn.

I'll admit, I didn't see this coming, and I'm quite curious where this is heading!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Hey 3, do you prototype all your mechanical designs in Lego? Cause I remember you built Jade Rabbit's super mode, and your spaceships at the start of this comic looked very microscale, and now these jamokes...

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Phy posted:

Hey 3, do you prototype all your mechanical designs in Lego? Cause I remember you built Jade Rabbit's super mode, and your spaceships at the start of this comic looked very microscale, and now these jamokes...

You are indeed correct about these jamokes!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

3 posted:

Haha, drat. I noticed that but wrote it off as a coincidence.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

3 posted:

God, Lego mecha are extremely my jam, but I never got around to really building them myself.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-15-page-17

alright that's the second time they've brought up the increased monsters tonight, goops is definitely going to be doing something drastic tonight.

Grantaire
Jul 16, 2009

oh what a world
Doomsday, My Dear is ten years old today :toot:

And my birthday is next week, so if you feel like being nice to me you should read it.

e: sorry for accidentally predicting a whole bunch of real world poo poo

Grantaire fucked around with this message at 22:04 on May 21, 2020

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Octopie has reached the Jane and marigold part of its author commentary reruns. Nice to get the authors perspective on a storyline that came over very hackneyed to me at the time. I still don’t think it’s particularly good but I definitely have a bit more appreciation for it now

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I've loved the commentary from octopus pie but at the same time i feel kind of bad i never put anywhere near the level of thought into all the interactions that the author put in and sometimes agonized over

Probably not helped that I would frequently forget who some of these characters were

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

rannum posted:

I've loved the commentary from octopus pie but at the same time i feel kind of bad i never put anywhere near the level of thought into all the interactions that the author put in and sometimes agonized over

Probably not helped that I would frequently forget who some of these characters were

this is how all fiction works

cropoval
Feb 17, 2020

Grantaire posted:

And my birthday is next week, so if you feel like being nice to me you should read it.

Doomsday My Dear rules, I reread/caught up this year after about two years and it’s always cool to see it constantly improving. You all should check it out if you enjoy things that are extremely topical.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Grantaire posted:

Reread the entire thing. It's worth the read, but I wish it was less topical. Everything feels wrong right now.

Grantaire
Jul 16, 2009

oh what a world
Thank you!! That really means so much, and I appreciate you taking the time.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Grantaire posted:

You predicted evil psychics and kissable disney hunks? preposterous

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Does anyone happen to have the last page of A Better Place? Not the new one, the original one, before Hannah reached out to herself to change the past?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

rannum posted:

Now imagine the commentary on all the other media you consume!

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Elysiume posted:

Does anyone happen to have the last page of A Better Place? Not the new one, the original one, before Hannah reached out to herself to change the past?

Oh. Huh. It's clever, but I can't help but immediately reinterpret the page "in context" and feel the confusion and bitterness of any reader who didn't happen to see the missing page as it uploaded. I hope it's somehow pieced together again for future readers, but now we're all warned there's going to be time shenanigans so we can start saving copies of pages lol. I'm betting this is just the start of the clusterfuck.

All in all the 'actually delete old pages to represent changing the past' gimmick feels more distracting than immersive. The earlier, subtle changes to the first chapter were more firmly in the "good idea" side of the spectrum.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 07:17 on May 22, 2020

Grantaire
Jul 16, 2009

oh what a world

Nuns with Guns posted:

You predicted evil psychics and kissable disney hunks? preposterous

These are cosmic inevitabilities I'm sorry to say

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Oh, god dammit, I stop following A Better Place for a bit and apparently now I can never go back, cool.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Joe Slowboat posted:

Oh, god dammit, I stop following A Better Place for a bit and apparently now I can never go back, cool.
You can go back, the only major revision was the last page, as far as I know. The latest page, episode 250, was previously Hannah killing Nina, which prompted her brother to use his up-till-now unused power of exploding. It didn't seem to kill Hannah, but it did take big chunks out of her -- which is why the upper Hanner here is missing a second arm and a chunk of her torso.

e: oh yeah 249 didn't previously have a second Hannah hand in the final panel

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 10:29 on May 22, 2020

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

There were a lot of great moments in the lost page and a half, now that I think of it.

Hannah lashing out at Nina and immediately looking shocked what she'd done. A melancholy beat where shreds of Nina that look like flower pedals scatter and drift away. Theo just absolutely losing his last drop of hope for his sister as she rambles about how she'll fix it. The surprising amount of rage he shows as he starts to explode. The world splitting in two as Hannah escapes to space. C-beams glittering in the dark near the Tannhauser gate.

We'll see what the author does with the archive when this is all over, bud drat, you don't want it to be the case that during such a huge dramatic moment in your story people have to say "this is a really bad time to catch up with the comic".

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 10:53 on May 22, 2020

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Friends, I need your help in tracking down a webcomic I read... Probably like a decade and a half ago, if not more.

It was called As If! and it detailed the daily lives of several friends in high school. The website that had hosted the comic, asifcomic.com, is currently occupied by... Some Japanese company, apparently? I don't even know.

Through googling I found out that the comic archive was apparently moved like 14 years ago to a new website (as detailed a forum I found through the search), but the details of the new site are apparently lost to time. Those forums seem to be dead, too, since the last post in the As If! section is nearly a decade old, and the last post overall is more than a year old. So that's a dead end, too.

Any help?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Mikl posted:

Friends, I need your help in tracking down a webcomic I read... Probably like a decade and a half ago, if not more.

It was called As If! and it detailed the daily lives of several friends in high school. The website that had hosted the comic, asifcomic.com, is currently occupied by... Some Japanese company, apparently? I don't even know.

Through googling I found out that the comic archive was apparently moved like 14 years ago to a new website (as detailed a forum I found through the search), but the details of the new site are apparently lost to time. Those forums seem to be dead, too, since the last post in the As If! section is nearly a decade old, and the last post overall is more than a year old. So that's a dead end, too.

Any help?

I was able to download 400+ comics (all?) in zip files from this archived site: https://web.archive.org/web/20081022013340/http://www.mimisgrotto.com/asif/index.html

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I am consistently impressed by Minna Sundberg's ability to churn out excellent art for a daily webcomic in Stand Still Stay Silent. I have no idea how she does it, though she does take breaks between chapters.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

My main Webcomic likes lately have been Mr Boop, which I think the BYOB webcomic thread noticed a while back, and Red Ring of Death, which is yet another parody of mid-2000s gamer comics (like Powerup Comics was) but has the advantage of hindsight on how gamer culture developed and also makes good use of the Twitter medium to flesh out the backstory of "Shawn Tuckley", the comic's creator.

Basically it's a spoof of the sort of person who does comics like this.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Kennel posted:

I was able to download 400+ comics (all?) in zip files from this archived site: https://web.archive.org/web/20081022013340/http://www.mimisgrotto.com/asif/index.html

You are a saviour. Now I can finally find out if this comic is as good as I remember it. Thank you, internet wizard.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Now imagine the commentary on all the other media you consume!

Mors Rattus posted:

this is how all fiction works

hosed up if true

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Does anyone remember a webcomic that starts off about Lion Man, a guy whose family was killed by lions and who has dedicated himself to fighting them. The world runs on video game logic, and there's a strip early on where he can't sell his lion crystals because the people are impoverished by famine. He realizes that not all problems are caused by lions? Later he meets the dig dug guy, but the dig dug guy has diabetes because he survived being trapped in a cave in by eating tea cakes and soda from an infinitely generating vending machine. The second arc of the comic took place in dracula's castle.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Wittgen posted:

Does anyone remember a webcomic that starts off about Lion Man, a guy whose family was killed by lions and who has dedicated himself to fighting them. The world runs on video game logic, and there's a strip early on where he can't sell his lion crystals because the people are impoverished by famine. He realizes that not all problems are caused by lions? Later he meets the dig dug guy, but the dig dug guy has diabetes because he survived being trapped in a cave in by eating tea cakes and soda from an infinitely generating vending machine. The second arc of the comic took place in dracula's castle.

This?
https://lostmediawiki.com/Monster_Killers_(partially_found_webcomic;_2008-2012)

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Mr. Boop is the great webcomic find of 2020.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Yes, that's it! Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Today on megg and mogg crisis zone things have taken a sexual turn. I loled at this one