Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

pacific sardines are overfished and there's been a moratorium on the industry, with catch limits in place since 2015 so...not many places

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

The Voice of Labor posted:

I'm not looking at anything in the immediate future, but given that we may be living through the decline of western civilization putting an idle thought towards securing the capture and processing of little fishes seems prudent.

For making practical examples and data easier to apply, let's say northern california to southern oregon.

Where do the little fishes run, what's the 'dinest port to dock in along the coast?

https://oregondiscovery.com/pacific-herring

Maybe herring instead?

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Big Beef City posted:

pacific sardines are overfished and there's been a moratorium on the industry, with catch limits in place since 2015 so...not many places

.gif of zoidberg eating anchovies

e:

25 pounds per day limit, 16 ounces to a pound, 4.75 ounces to one can of dines. Fish 4 days a week, adjust for gross to processed weight, that's 250-300 cans of small fish a week.

The Voice of Labor fucked around with this message at 00:38 on May 9, 2020

naem
May 29, 2011

I think buying to land to grow corn and beans would be a better post apocalyptic plan long term

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Not much good for waterworld, though.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

you'd miss dines long before you'd miss corn and beans. unless you're talking about coffee beans.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

well, I'm sold.
if you can get the poo poo you need to net and process and can that amount of dines for yourself then I say go on brother.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

naem posted:

I think buying to land to grow corn and beans would be a better post apocalyptic plan long term

The thing about fishing for sustenance is it's also a leisure activity that you can do drunk. Good luck with your farm, though.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Thing is, you can farm drunk and fall off the tractor and the tractor doesn't float away leaving you to die lost at sea

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Big Beef City posted:

Thing is, you can farm drunk and fall off the tractor and the tractor doesn't float away leaving you to die lost at sea

I think you are underestimating how drunk I am capable of.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

grovercannery

apocalypse farming would be dependent on apocalypse 'dine industry. that's where the apocalypse organic fish emulsion would come from.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

if you see this buy this its S tier

naem
May 29, 2011

https://youtu.be/B6Lh-TB2_mA

delicious

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Bought a tin of crown prince boneless skinless 'dines and some crown prince kipper snacks to give them another chance.

Still have a tin of KO mediterranean dines and a tin of beach cliffs in mustard. What should I eat tonight?

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

play spin the bottle with your dine cans yo

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I ended up going with the crown prince kipper snacks since last time for whatever reason I didn't care for them and wanted to try them again.

Very good this time. The fish are definitely firmer and dryer than the KOs I'm used to but I really enjoyed the smoky flavor. I'll definitely be buying another tin. These seem like a good way to introduce a newbie to canned fish.

If I'm still feeling snacky in half an hour or so I might do the BC dines in mustard sauce

Anyway I found this guy on youtube and there is no way he's not a goon. Show yourself, coward
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDN7JQWszrc

I'd love to try those soy sauce sardines.

Previa_fun fucked around with this message at 05:48 on May 18, 2020

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Previa_fun posted:

Anyway I found this guy on youtube and there is no way he's not a goon. Show yourself, coward
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDN7JQWszrc

I'd love to try those soy sauce sardines.

I too want some Japanese 'dines. Dude looks goonish.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Latest haul from the nearby Asian grocery store. Fried baby clams with chili, mechado(?)-flavored tuna, surmullets.

Last night I had some canned herring in a dill herb sauce over fava bean leaves & carrots as a salad. No pic but believe me when I say it was pretty good.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

one evening as the sun went down
and the fisherman's eggs were burning
a man found dines to be to his liking
he said,

These fish are a-luring

I'm headed for a land that's far away
by the crystal meth fountains
so come with me, we'll go and see
the big fat sardine mountains

in the big fat sardine mountains
there are sardines packed up so tight
where the mustard grows on bushes
and you 'dine out every night

where the tins are never empty
and the sun shines every day
on the birds and the bees
and the peppercorn seeds
the lemon juice springs
where the jalapeno rings

https://oregonlookouts.weebly.com/sardine-mountain.html

The Voice of Labor fucked around with this message at 07:36 on May 24, 2020

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Huh, I should visit Sardine Mountain.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

and you dine out every night

and the peppercorn seeds
the lemon juice springs
where the jalapeno rings

Burl Ives probably liked sardines.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

and you dine out every night

and the peppercorn seeds
the lemon juice springs
where the jalapeno rings

sardine butte lol. thats me in the morning after a miller lite and sardine nite

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Got a pack of plain Tiny Tots sardines in olive oil, skin on. 4 year old son tried them, gave a thumbs up and said "they're really yummy". Mission accomplished

e: 2 year old just got in on the action

kazr fucked around with this message at 03:40 on May 26, 2020

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

The store close to me stopped carrying sprats after their remodel, now I have to drive to the big store to get my fix. This is not good for the planet!

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

kazr posted:

Got a pack of plain Tiny Tots sardines in olive oil, skin on. 4 year old son tried them, gave a thumbs up and said "they're really yummy". Mission accomplished

e: 2 year old just got in on the action

yes teach them young and teach them well. 4/7 of my kids like them so I'm pretty proud

I've never even seen Tiny Tots in any store near me

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Tiny Tots are a regional branding. Same fishes, same fishery are sold as two layer in extra virgin olive oil.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

get some KO mackerel if they're available. getting kids to associate good flavor with fish is good for the brain. too many adults carry negative associations with types of food based on their childhood experience alone

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

My Mediterranean KOs came with a bunch of coupons, including for the Mackerel. Thank you king, give me a taste then rope me in

It's hard to find KOs around here tho

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

Android Apocalypse posted:

Latest haul from the nearby Asian grocery store. Fried baby clams with chili, mechado(?)-flavored tuna, surmullets.

Last night I had some canned herring in a dill herb sauce over fava bean leaves & carrots as a salad. No pic but believe me when I say it was pretty good.

I wonder what's in that surmullet can, the picture on it is some kind of triggerfish - not that necessarily means much.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Apparently surmullets is a type of fish. Even though it was packed in oil it was dry & almost jerky-like in texture.

Pretty tasty. I'll pick it up again & have it on toast. Would be at home on a charcuterie board .

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

fihs decadences

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_mullet

quote:

The ancient Romans reared them in ponds where they were attended and caressed by their owners

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
lol if you don't caress your KO brislings before you eat them

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

You left off some words.

quote:

attended and caressed by their owners, and taught to come

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Was not expecting quaran-horny in the sardine thread

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

Apparently surmullets is a type of fish. Even though it was packed in oil it was dry & almost jerky-like in texture.

Pretty tasty. I'll pick it up again & have it on toast. Would be at home on a charcuterie board .

Right I know it's fish, but a surmullet would be a goatfish, family mullidae. I just wondered why a Chinese brand chose that name when it makes me think more of Mediterranean species than any Pacific ones. And then the picture of an unrelated triggerfish on the label. Triggerfish are choice food fish, I just wondered if "surmullet" is used to convey a high-value product or what. I know I'm over-examining it I have time to kill this week.

The Romans valued red mullet more for the interesting color changes they undergo while dying than for their flavor. So you'd serve them live/dying to give your guests an exquisite aesthetic experience rather than just food. I've never seen one but I have fished for Mahi-Mahi and the way they practically glow while alive and go dull when they die might be similar.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Corner store ran out of sardines and probably won’t have them in a while. I’ve had this box in my pantry for a year that I won in a KO contest

I ate half a can on Triscuits with hot sauce. I feel like it was like having a glass of $100 a bottle wine that I wouldn’t have been able to tell from a $20 bottle but they are really good

Will post a picture when I go for the next tin and open it

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Not to knock your 'dine eating style, but did you try some of them plain without any accoutrements? If so, what did you think of them?

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

I mostly get the King Oscars in olive oil, but I must admit the ones that come with Cholula in the tin sound interesting.

Was on the phone with a coworker a couple of weeks ago and he asked what I had for lunch.

"Tin of sardines on crackers and an apple."
"And you LIKE that?"

Turns out he had similar fond memories of eating sardines with his dad that I did. I knew I liked that guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Not to knock your 'dine eating style, but did you try some of them plain without any accoutrements? If so, what did you think of them?

I had one straight from the can. If someone gave me a small regular KO (skin and tail) I wouldn’t know the difference.

Ive become used to less fishy sardines so I’m usually eating Seasons or Crown Prince