Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Takes No Damage posted:

^^^ Agreed. I think being forced to work around FCC limitations has probably resulted in some more creative writing than if they'd always been able to just throw some tits on screen to make a scene more interesting.

Yeah, while an HBO version of BB is interesting to think about, I don't think the show not having a bunch of nudity or more swearing is a negative. One of the things I always appreciated about BB is how unsexy it is. Yeah, Jesse had a couple girlfriends, but Walt is just supremely unsexy and is immediately shot down the one time he tries to put the moves on someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I have an opinion that might be controversial.

I skipped watching this season week to week so I could binge it all at once. This is how I watched season one and two and I enjoyed the experience much more than three or four.

I think the show, week to week, is simply too slow. That doesn't mean the slow burn is inherently bad, but when the story moves so slowly I get bored. Imagine if Seven Samurai was chopped up into three or four episodes. That's my admittedly weak comparison.

But I watched season three and four as it aired, and the dramatic impact wasn't the same. Werner's death and Chuck's death weren't as impactful as they should have been. It was more like "loving finally, I saw this development coming 5 episodes (a month and a week ago), and it finally happened.

It's not a criticism of the show, but a criticism of dragging it out to 2.5 months.

It was difficult to resist the temptation of watching it, and avoiding spoilers was a pain in the rear end, but I felt it was worth it.

escape artist fucked around with this message at 04:48 on May 17, 2020

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

I did a binge rewatch and the first three seasons with Chuck felt much more like a single situation barrelling out of control than a longterm antagonistic relationship.
Also I'm actually now in for Howard shouldering some of the blame for Chuck's suicide. He knew (or was now well aware) that Chuck had a mental illness, that whole clapping him out of the building move was downright despicable.

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

escape artist posted:

I skipped watching this season week to week so I could binge it all at once. This is how I watched season one and two and I enjoyed the experience much more than three or four.

I think the show, week to week, is simply too slow. That doesn't mean the slow burn is inherently bad, but when the story moves so slowly I get bored. Imagine if Seven Samurai was chopped up into three or four episodes. That's my admittedly weak comparison.

But I watched season three and four as it aired, and the dramatic impact wasn't the same. Werner's death and Chuck's deaths weren't as impactful as they should have been. It was more like "loving finally, I saw this development coming 5 episodes (a month and a week ago), and it finally happened.

It's not a criticism of the show, but a criticism of dragging it out to 2.5 months.

It was difficult to resist the temptation of watching it, and avoiding spoilers was a pain in the rear end, but I felt it was worth it.

Honestly the only reason I don't do this is impatience. IMO all shows should just drop whole seasons at once. Traditional TV is obsolete as gently caress and should be shitcanned entirely. I can't believe there are still people who tolerate ad breaks.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Yeah I been saying this since the show started.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

escape artist posted:

But I watched season three and four as it aired, and the dramatic impact wasn't the same. Werner's death and Chuck's death weren't as impactful as they should have been. It was more like "loving finally, I saw this development coming 5 episodes (a month and a week ago), and it finally happened.

I don't think there is really any serialized TV shows that are actually better to watch 1 week at a time vs binge watching it in a couple days.

It's just an outdated business model to get advertising dollars and cable subscriptions.

Even the Walking Dead, it's obviously a terrible TV show now, but it's actually kind of enjoyable to watch a season all at once...

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I don't think there is really any serialized TV shows that are actually better to watch 1 week at a time vs binge watching it in a couple days.

Twin Peaks season 3

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Binge watching kills discussion. Everybody consumes the content, then moves on.

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

Doctor Reynolds posted:

:hmmyes: That must be why nobody ever discusses movies.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Not all discussion, but it kills off most of the speculating except for the next season. There's something to be said for having time to mull over what will happen in the next episode. It builds anticipation for it, which has both positive and negative effects. Positive in that I remember individual episodes much more, and negative in that it makes average episodes feel unfulfilling.

I've watched the entire show as it aired, and seasons 1-4 all felt like they would have been better as a binge watch. Season 5 was the first season where I felt each individual episode was fulfilling though,

SweetMercifulCrap! fucked around with this message at 20:47 on May 18, 2020

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I'm 100% okay with losing out on weekly discussion if most TVIV threads are the baseline.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Zartosht posted:

Honestly the only reason I don't do this is impatience. IMO all shows should just drop whole seasons at once. Traditional TV is obsolete as gently caress and should be shitcanned entirely. I can't believe there are still people who tolerate ad breaks.
Avoiding spoilers is the main reason I don't do this. It's pretty much impossible nowadays with people either going out of their way to spoil it in the most unexpected places, or shitheels with clickbait video titles, or even just ignorant outlets doing their "5 times Nacho avoided death and that one time he didn't" or other heavy implication headline poo poo. You basically have to stop using the internet, and particularly YouTube if you've previously digested a lot of BCS commentary stuff previously.

There's no way you're avoiding that poo poo for 2.5 months.

There are pros to not being able to binge watch, as said discussion suffers for it. The Dexter thread will always live on in my memory, it transcended the show. On the other hand, you need only look at Westworld season 2 to see what happens if you let the audience stew in their own juices for too long.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
I feel like BCS benefits from the one a week model, to go with its generally slower pace. I like thinking on each episode through the week. Then, I'm not much of one for binging shows anyway, so accept I'm probably against popular opinion on this one. I'm really enjoying Devs at the moment and I'm intentionally only watching one episode every couple of days to make it last longer.

It's a drag when a favourite show ends and you know you've got 9 or so months to wait for the continuation. Turning that wait into 11.5 months because you blew it in one go sucks.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

With binge watching, there would've been no 'Mike's voice'.

Take that as you will.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Plus if you blow through a show you forget huge parts of it. Paced enjoying gives you time to reflect, to meditate. I'm plenty guilty of doing this myself, for example I recently just blew through the last season of Netflix's She-Ra, but lack of self control shouldn't be celebrated!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Plus if you blow through a show you forget huge parts of it. Paced enjoying gives you time to reflect, to meditate. I'm plenty guilty of doing this myself, for example I recently just blew through the last season of Netflix's She-Ra, but lack of self control shouldn't be celebrated!

Same, I'm watching the first three episodes of S5 and every single thing that happens I'm like "wait did I completely forget what happened at the end of S4 or what, wtf are they talking about"

So now I'm rewatching S4 backwards from the end interspersed with watching S5 forwards and it is tripping me the hell out

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Having to wait a year makes me forget huge parts of it. I often get excited about a show coming back because I binged the first seasons on netflix or whatever. Then the new season is released and I don't remember what happened before. Nothing they are doing in the series opener makes any sense. This is especially bad when a show decides to do a time skip from the finale of the last season.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Watching the show all at once or just having it available to watch how and when you want it is superior and none of the arguments against it really make any sense.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Restrained Crown Posse posted:

I'm really enjoying Devs at the moment and I'm intentionally only watching one episode every couple of days to make it last longer.

On the other hand I completely forgot about Devs because when its one episode per week I often forget about the show

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

With binge watching, there would've been no 'Mike's voice'.

Take that as you will.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

if people couldn't binge watch Breaking Bad on Netflix, we wouldn't have 5 seasons of it nor would we have Better Call Saul

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Do you have evidence to support that?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

https://www.theverge.com/2013/5/20/4347244/vince-gilligan-on-netflix-and-breaking-bad

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

The scene of the twins taking out the fortified compound by themselves is the worst scene in the entire show, and the other two you mentioned are hyper-competent characters having hyper-competency/luck. This wasn't that. This was an assassin squad hired by Gus Fring crit-failing their tactics roll, twice.

When my wife and I saw the assassins begin we almost thought it was some like secret double double double cross and that they were going to put on a show but not kill Lalo or something. Because the way it's edited like, they all roll into the kitchen, Lalo oils one of them up, dives for cover, heads out, the rest just like.....stand in place in the kitchen shooting the same corner of the kitchen at like chest height for some time, like, what? They had to make them insanely incompetent to allow for Lalo to make it out and then go back.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
^^^ Yeah they seemed to lean a bit too far towards 'looks cool' and away from 'makes sense' during that sequence. Worth it for the crunching-gravel-crossfades-into-rolling-thunder sound at the end :allears:

Huh, could have sworn I remembered BB not getting on Netflix until Season 5, and that part of the reason the last few episodes were such huge deals is that everyone could catch up and watch them as they aired. But Wiki agrees, it was on there from just before Season 4 :shrug:

My main argument for weekly episodes vs bingeing is, like a few people mentioned, you seem to forget a lot more by watching something all at once. I can remember people coming into later BB threads saying they just caught up over 2 weeks and asking questions about stuff I clearly remembered, despite not having seen the earlier episodes in months or years while they just saw it 10 days ago.

If it's the latest Netflix trash documentary then sure blast it out in a weekend, but if I really like a show and it's made well enough to support weeky reflection/discussion then I want to enjoy 'watching' it for 2 months not 2 days.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Takes No Damage posted:

My main argument for weekly episodes vs bingeing is, like a few people mentioned, you seem to forget a lot more by watching something all at once. I can remember people coming into later BB threads saying they just caught up over 2 weeks and asking questions about stuff I clearly remembered, despite not having seen the earlier episodes in months or years while they just saw it 10 days ago.

If it's the latest Netflix trash documentary then sure blast it out in a weekend, but if I really like a show and it's made well enough to support weeky reflection/discussion then I want to enjoy 'watching' it for 2 months not 2 days.

I notice this too, my wife and I never binge stuff now, we just watch like one or two episodes of a show a day at most.

Speaking of which, we finally finished season 5 and hooooly poo poo how is this show so good. I really appreciate how it constantly sets up scenes and the opening dialogue of scenes to make you obviously think like "oh yeah this is the part of a tv show where _____ is clearly going to hap-wait...what? Why aren't they saying/doing obvious thing that makes sen- oh, uh, poo poo that makes perfect sense now and is brilliant" like constantly.

Have to agree with a lot of posts in this thread that Kim is my favorite character on the show too. Lalo is amazing though and

Takes No Damage posted:

the crunching-gravel-crossfades-into-rolling-thunder sound at the end

Was such an incredibly perfect way to end the season and "end" the character for now. I love Lalo because unlike the other Salamancas we don't see him doing crazy violent stuff or totally losing it and getting loud on screen, and we get those little glimpses of humanity from him now and then. Now all of that is boiling over, I hate how long it's going to take for the next season to happen now lol

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
The coup plotters who were captured by Venezuelan fishermen retroactively make the hit squad look more realistic.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Ague Proof posted:

The coup plotters who were captured by Venezuelan fishermen retroactively make the hit squad look more realistic.

Yeah, the guy Lalo interrogated didn't even piss his pants.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

My main hangup with the latest season was not enough Bob in wigs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AhgyXtZQgU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I think of the scene where Jimmy is doing probation and he tells the probation worker that while he can't sue the state he can sue the probation worker directly. Is that accurate or would such a suite be thrown out?

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

punk rebel ecks posted:

I think of the scene where Jimmy is doing probation and he tells the probation worker that while he can't sue the state he can sue the probation worker directly. Is that accurate or would such a suite be thrown out?

My lawyer father can't watch the show because 90% of the things Saul says/does would either get tossed out by a judge or get him disbarred.

SolarFire2 fucked around with this message at 07:38 on May 21, 2020

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
Plus, that scene struck me more as Jimmy using a legal threat as a presumed appeal to ignorance about civil claims and what a plaintiff can actually do.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Agent Escalus posted:

Plus, that scene struck me more as Jimmy using a legal threat as a presumed appeal to ignorance about civil claims and what a plaintiff can actually do.

Yeah, that's the vibe I got too.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

So Jimmy was just hoping that the state worker was too stupid to know that he was just bluffing?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

punk rebel ecks posted:

So Jimmy was just hoping that the state worker was too stupid to know that he was just bluffing?

I mean it's not like the community service chaperone is going to be the brightest individual out there.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
That guy made it clear that he's hella lazy and wants to deal with zero bullshit and getting a lawyer would be a lot of bullshit

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

moist turtleneck posted:

That guy made it clear that he's hella lazy and wants to deal with zero bullshit

don't doxx me

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

moist turtleneck posted:

That guy made it clear that he's hella lazy and wants to deal with zero bullshit and getting a lawyer would be a lot of bullshit

Would he even need to get a lawyer though?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
He doesn't know and finding out would be a lot of bullshit

Plus jimmy was talking a lot and talking fast and that's way too much to deal with

I just want that sweet, sweet trash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

punk rebel ecks posted:

Would he even need to get a lawyer though?
The truth generally doesn't matter if you say poo poo convincingly enough, and then there's the question of which truth is relevant. The truth of "this is gonna turn into a big hassle" is far more important than whether it's actually true that he's vulnerable to a suit. Obviously the equation would change if Jimmy was dealing with someone higher up the social hierarchy who might want to punish him for daring to speak to his betters like this.