Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

twistedmentat posted:

I think you see one in one of the movies, or maybe the Crusade pilot? And yea, Nova's were precursors to the Omega and served along with Hyperions in the Earth Minbari war.

The first glimpse we get of the Warlock is in A Call to Arms, and we only see its midsection chucking missiles at the Drakh fleet. It's not fully revealed on screen until an episode of Crusade and we don't actually see one firing all of its weapons until a brief snippet in The Lost Tales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

b5 had some ok ships, but nothing ever stuck out as having the distinct + attractive look that a good iconic ship should have. the white star–the shows closest thing to a hero ship–was a visual mess

that said, there were a lot of fun design notes in the ships

the drakh ship was fun because, as simple as it was, it looked like the entire design doc was EVIL WHITE STAR written hastily w large letters on a sheet of notebook paper

i also thought that the main narn and centauri capital ships had interestingly similar visual cues: the big ships were flat, w stubby wings out of the main body, and two large prongs sticking out of the front. the smaller warships had long wings at the back of a long central fuselage, w a vertical element to mix up the silhouette (in the center for the centauri, at the far ends of the wings for the narn)

i hope that was intentional

the best b5 ship was ofc this baby

here is why it is the best:
  • flying saucer
  • only weapon is apparently hot shards of glass that do not seem to have great range or precision
  • weapon is fired from the exact center of the largest profile the ship can present
  • only feasible space fight technique is to run up super fast at the other ship to get close, rotate around to show them the biggest target possible, then spray hot glass at them really hard

what a fuckin champion

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The Vree, who used the saucer, were literally Greys, and yes, they did come to earth and abduct people for experiments in the past. I loved that little detail in the show.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I'm a fan of the NASA concept art of a real-life Starship Enteprrise:

Legit want to see a Star Trek reboot that looks something like this.

You should watch the Expanse. All its ships are stuff like that.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
I always liked Captain Future's Comet and even more so its Cosmo-Liner.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

How did we makei to page 3 without

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

A couple more I feel should be in here

Icarus II from 'Sunshine'

and the one from 'Heavy Metal'

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Squizzle posted:

b5 had some ok ships, but nothing ever stuck out as having the distinct + attractive look that a good iconic ship should have. the white star–the shows closest thing to a hero ship–was a visual mess

The rest of your post is good but I have to raise strenuous objection to this bit right here because:

https://i.imgur.com/reEjqWH.mp4

Starfuries are awesome.

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 22:52 on May 12, 2020

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Lemniscate Blue posted:

The rest of your post is good but I have to raise strenuous objection to this bit right here because:

Starfuries are awesome.

Squizzle posted:

im here to drop a hard truth you folks might not like but will see the truth of: starfuries are just uglier gunstars

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Death Blossom was something that one experimental Gunstar could do once, and it had to stop in place to do it.

Starfuries are designed to do it all day every day.

Light years ahead of the competition!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Death Blossom was something that one experimental Gunstar could do once, and it had to stop in place to do it.

Starfuries are designed to do it all day every day.

Light years ahead of the competition!

And deathblossom also shorted out all their systems.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

the thruster placement on the gunstar means it can maneuver like a starfury all day every day. death blossom is just telling the computer to dump everything left in the weapons system such that it obliterates everything inside the db radius :colbert:

the gunstar, also, remains a million times better-looking

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!

twistedmentat posted:

The Vree, who used the saucer, were literally Greys, and yes, they did come to earth and abduct people for experiments in the past. I loved that little detail in the show.

You should watch the Expanse. All its ships are stuff like that.

speaking of which, how are we not talking about the roci

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i get hell of homeworld vibes off the roci

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

WilWheaton posted:

speaking of which, how are we not talking about the roci

Because I couldn't find a good picture of it.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

The Nostromo. I love the idea of a space big-rig towing a refinery that autonomously processes substances in-flight on long trips through space. Plus it's got a boss interior, and the lived in, retro-future computers and controls are extremely my jam.

I like the look of a lot of the ships in the X-wing/TIE fighter games but there are too may to post in one sitting. Might post more later

GAT-12 Skipray Blastboat. Kind of a dumb name but it looks cool.

Cloakshape Fighter.

C-ROC Gozanti-class Cruiser.

Freighter Type K. I've always loved freighter space ships. I really dig the cargo ship style design

Olympic Class Starship. Star Trek has some great ship designs but I've haven't been crazy about the Federation's designs save for the original Enterprise. I like the Olympic class because it breaks the mold of the saucer bow we are used to

Maschinen Krieger Falke. I've always really liked the visual design of Maschinen Krieger, but I don't know a lot about it.

Linux Pirate fucked around with this message at 06:38 on May 15, 2020

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Squizzle posted:

the walker looked even better in concept art imo

That's a rad starship.

That's the Eiffel Tower.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Jinx
Sep 9, 2001

Violence and Bloodshed

Squizzle posted:

the best b5 ship was ofc this baby

here is why it is the best:
  • flying saucer
  • only weapon is apparently hot shards of glass that do not seem to have great range or precision
  • weapon is fired from the exact center of the largest profile the ship can present
  • only feasible space fight technique is to run up super fast at the other ship to get close, rotate around to show them the biggest target possible, then spray hot glass at them really hard

what a fuckin champion

I completely understand where you are coming from, but maybe apart from the human designs, none of the spacecraft are designed for realistic space combat. Realistic space combat happens at extreme ranges probably between armoured space submarines with high precision relativistic weaponry (also hyperspace cruise missiles).

Came to post Lexx but will have to settle for this iconic contribution:

Not sure how many people are old enough to remember this. Such a simple yet great design.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Jinx posted:

I completely understand where you are coming from, but maybe apart from the human designs, none of the spacecraft are designed for realistic space combat. Realistic space combat happens at extreme ranges probably between armoured space submarines with high precision relativistic weaponry (also hyperspace cruise missiles).

Came to post Lexx but will have to settle for this iconic contribution:

Not sure how many people are old enough to remember this. Such a simple yet great design.

Never played the first one, but I own it's latest successor

(that one isn't mine)

I prefer the Mamba's design. It kind of reminds me of the speeders in Star Wars Episode II, but classier. It's a hot rod for space, but not just a jpeg hot rod.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

The Tiger's Claw from the original Wing Commander.

It's hilarious and the idea of building a space ship meant to deal with other space ships in space that is 75% runway is absurd if you think about it for even a second, but the degree to which they very intentionally did not think about it, and its design as literally just an aircraft carrier in space, is immediately emotionally indicative of the WWII-but-with-you're-fighting-evil-cats-who-fly-space-donuts nature of the game/series. You can't look at it and not immediately grasp the tone. They eventually tried to make it kind-of sort-of make sense by designing future carriers that were big giant edifices built around a runway to at least make it seem space-efficient, but it was always better when it was just completely, blatantly stupid.

In fact, honorable mention for the Dralthi:

Perfect little space donut.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

I always liked Talyn's design just a little bit more because of how streamlined it is but they did a great job on Moya too with the texture and overall shape that made it seem a bit more alive.

Farscape is so underrated. We shall never see it's like again.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

CarlCX posted:

The Tiger's Claw from the original Wing Commander.

It's hilarious and the idea of building a space ship meant to deal with other space ships in space that is 75% runway is absurd if you think about it for even a second, but the degree to which they very intentionally did not think about it, and its design as literally just an aircraft carrier in space, is immediately emotionally indicative of the WWII-but-with-you're-fighting-evil-cats-who-fly-space-donuts nature of the game/series. You can't look at it and not immediately grasp the tone. They eventually tried to make it kind-of sort-of make sense by designing future carriers that were big giant edifices built around a runway to at least make it seem space-efficient, but it was always better when it was just completely, blatantly stupid.

In fact, honorable mention for the Dralthi:

Perfect little space donut.

I understand it's because of hardware limitations and the need to keep the polygon count and texture size down, but everything after Wing Commander 2 just looks godawful to me.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda got really bad as it spiraled out of control in its later seasons as Kevin Sorbo gained more and more control over it, but the Andromeda Ascendant itself is still to this day one of the most beautifully weird ships to ever grace a TV screen:

Design-wise that show really sold you on the notion that Earth joined an already established galactic community when humanity took to the stars and instead of taking over and forcing it conform to human design standards ala Star Trek, humanity got the gently caress out of the way and conformed the weirdass but well-established standards of the Commonwealth. The early seasons really sold you on the idea that humans and Earth aren't really a big deal... again, until Kevin Sorbo took over and fired all the executive producers who were trying to tell a real story.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 10:22 on May 17, 2020

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
I loved how over the top the weaponry in Andromeda was, too. Weren't the main guns basically black hole cannons or something?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Polaron posted:

I loved how over the top the weaponry in Andromeda was, too. Weren't the main guns basically black hole cannons or something?

it had bombs, plural, that caused a star to go supernova, as part of its standard complement

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Tochiazuma posted:

and the one from 'Heavy Metal'

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 did a nod to this when viewing Ego's ship from the back:

Right before they touch down on Ego directly and everything looks insanely Heavy Metal-inspired (but y'know, with fewer gratuitous tits). The shot lingers directly on the ship, taking advantage of our pareidolia, so I refuse to believe it was a coincidence.

------------

My favorite ship though is without a doubt the ENT-C.

This beautiful thing. I love the ENT-D's sleek coziness and the ENT-A's Analog-Cool Rectangles, but the ENT-C is the best of both.

Really the worst thing you can say about it is that it doesn't quite feel like a flagship, and I'd agree. It's almost kind-of scrappy, but with that ENT-D soft muscle that makes it seem like something you'd want to live on full-time, not just on a five year mission.

If we're talking "anything's on the table" though, a GSV like this is the pro choice.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

mind the walrus posted:

My favorite ship though is without a doubt the ENT-C.

This beautiful thing. I love the ENT-D's sleek coziness and the ENT-A's Analog-Cool Rectangles, but the ENT-C is the best of both.

Really the worst thing you can say about it is that it doesn't quite feel like a flagship, and I'd agree. It's almost kind-of scrappy, but with that ENT-D soft muscle that makes it seem like something you'd want to live on full-time, not just on a five year mission.

The original Andrew Probert concept for the C really sold that concept better:

This is a ship that you can feel was the flagship of its era until the Galaxy class came along and outshined it across the board. So now it putters around in the background doing workmans odd jobs and quietly muttering resentful curses every time the glorified "space shopping mall" flies past on its way to a galactic peace conference, or to welcome a new world into the Federation, or wind up in some cool space orgy where half the crew fucks an energy being made of pure joy or whatever.

Unfortunately, when it came time to put the C on screen, Probert's design was too complex to be built on the timeframe the production crew had so they cooked up the version that made it on screen: a collection of perfect circles and right-angles, aka the easiest shapes model on a 2-day timeframe :v:

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 06:12 on May 18, 2020

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

long before generations showed the B, it was assumed generally that it was an excelsior class. probert created his prototype C design by laying the outline of a galaxy and excelsior one over the other, and drawing lines to connect corresponding structures on them, and using those as guidelines for what a sort of manually-derived average of the two would be

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
UNF

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YBO-sy2rRU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

im a big fan of the ent-c as it appeared on screen, because the “lazy” construction—circles instead of flowy probert curves—really nicely evoke the original and refit enterprise. since the ep the ship appears in relies on the past being out of place, the stronger visual link to the classic series sells that idea, imo, better than a design more similar to the ent-d would

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
I like pretty much anything that looks like a Constitution refit. The Ambassador class does that for me.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
I like anything that's at least 50% plus engines. I was a turbo nerd kid that was big on Starfleet manuals and cutaway diagrams, and it always bothered me when the engines and life support took up less space than the captains quarters. I'm more a Star Wars kid than Star trek, but that's one thing that Trek always got right.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Bogus Adventure posted:

I like pretty much anything that looks like a Constitution refit. The Ambassador class does that for me.

I love the refit (I think it's maybe the greatest starship design ever) but I like its sleekness. The Ambassador's a bit tubby in comparison

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

mind the walrus posted:

If we're talking "anything's on the table" though, a GSV like this is the pro choice.

It's such a beautiful piece of fanart, though I might just be a huge sucker for the soft focus. There's also something really cool about how it's both sleek and anti-sleek - it has a very broad profile but has weird jagged elements to it all over.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Squizzle posted:

im a big fan of the ent-c as it appeared on screen, because the “lazy” construction—circles instead of flowy probert curves—really nicely evoke the original and refit enterprise. since the ep the ship appears in relies on the past being out of place, the stronger visual link to the classic series sells that idea, imo, better than a design more similar to the ent-d would
Leaning hard on the bright blue deflector and cherry red nacelles helps sell the bridge to TNG as well. I hadn't seen the original ENT-C art and it honestly does look much better as a conceptual bridge between the B and D, but I do prefer the C's overall look. Plus it's blue. It always bugged me that none of the ships in Star Trek had any color.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

mind the walrus posted:

Leaning hard on the bright blue deflector and cherry red nacelles helps sell the bridge to TNG as well. I hadn't seen the original ENT-C art and it honestly does look much better as a conceptual bridge between the B and D, but I do prefer the C's overall look. Plus it's blue. It always bugged me that none of the ships in Star Trek had any color.

bothered probert too. he designed the ent-d to be more blue than it was ever lit or shot. he also designed the maroon-and-orange ferengi marauder and the fuckin seafoam-ish green romulan warbird

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I get that they wanted the Trek ships to look more naval and less like war vessels than Star Wars, BSG, or Flash Gordon... but it does feel like they leaned too hard into greys and whites instead of finding a middle ground with nice blocky stripes and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I've always thought the star trek ships had a terrible design, I like that blue one though