Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth

quote:

Teriyaki Hairpiece

Who's going to shed a year for JC Penney?

I will say this for them, they're one of the only stores to carry Big and Tall clothes at good prices and selections. Of course, I don't think this is their death, just a re-organization (and shrinkage.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MachineryNoise
Jan 13, 2008

So I shout "Set your life on fire!"

Bamabalacha posted:

My little brother requested the Mandarin every year for his birthday dinner for like a decade. That place loving sucks, even more so because there are so many legit amazing Asian restaurants in Toronto.

Are those other places going to give you a free meal for your birthday? I don't think so. :colbert:

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Sekhmnet posted:

Ponderosa didn't have the crazy 'salad bar'(that was basically a buffet of everything) like sizzler but they had a shelf of cafeteria stuff where you ordered. Like you order your main meal, a steak or whatever and then move down the shelf putting sides and salads and deserts or whatever on your plastic cafeteria tray and then paid. They might have had an all you can eat shrimp or ribs but you'd have to ask the waitress to bring you more instead of just going back to the buffet to load up another plate. At least that was the routine at the ones I went to in Michigan in the 80s/90s.

We must have gone to different Ponderosas because the one I used to go to all the time as a kid definitely had a full all-you-can-eat salad bar. It's all I would get. They had other food you could eat too, cafeteria style like you said.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/CNBCnow/status/1261422650284314624

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Bird in a Blender posted:

We must have gone to different Ponderosas because the one I used to go to all the time as a kid definitely had a full all-you-can-eat salad bar. It's all I would get. They had other food you could eat too, cafeteria style like you said.
The Ponderosa by my house had some oddly fantastic chicken wings and when I'd go there I'd load up like 3 plates of wings in addition to getting everything because I have the blessing/curse of an insane metabolism. That place was also my first job (as a busboy/dishwasher), and my first true experience with the lows humanity can delve to.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Yawgmoth posted:

my first true experience with the lows humanity can delve to.

:justpost::posthaste:

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Oh there's not much that hasn't been posted already; Ponderosa is/was just Golden Corral without a chocolate fountain. 600lbs people bringing their 300lbs and climbing kids in to stuff their faces, parents letting their kids run around screaming, hopped up on plates of ice cream and sprinkles that no doubt had already had 20+ other gross kids jamming their hands into the bucket, people making garbage lasagna every loving time so I would have to deconstruct their towers of plate/mac n' cheese/napkin/plate/napkin/mashed potatoes/plate/ice cream/etc., and my boss who gave negative fucks about anything & eventually quit to sell phone apps full time (he claimed to be getting paid $20 for each person he sold some game app to; this was 2003).

The worst people were the weird old people who had deluded themselves into thinking Ponderosa was a "fancy" restaurant because they called themselves a steakhouse. We were staffed like a CVS because sales of non-buffet items were practically a rounding error, thus there was hardly a need for actual waitstaff. But we had two couples who would come in and think they deserved to be treated like loving royalty because they were ordering steaks and only rich and classy types ate steaks so we should have an entire shift's worth of peasants people to wait on us because we are so clearly wealthy and thus more important than anyone else. And then they'd complain that they didn't get the table they wanted, that drinks weren't refilled immediately, that the staff was "disrespectful" for poo poo like wiping down a table they could see, and a bunch of other petty poo poo that no one in the company cared about. Of course, despite their constant whining, they'd be back every saturday at 5pm like loving clockwork.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Retail sales dropped by almost 17% across the board last month

https://twitter.com/npr/status/1261277265041784833?s=21

How is it only seventeen percent?

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Platystemon posted:

How is it only seventeen percent?

This was also my question.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It was 17% on top of the losses from March

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

FlamingLiberal posted:

Oh, poo poo.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

It still doesn't make sense though:

quote:

Here's how spending drops affected different parts of retail in April, compared to a month earlier:
Online (nonstore) retailers: +8.4%
Grocery stores: -13.2%
Pharmacies and other health/personal care stores: -15.2%
Big-box (general merchandise) stores: -20.8%
Gas stations: -28.8%
Department stores: -28.9%
Restaurants and bars: -29.5%
Sports, music and other hobby stores: -38%
Furniture stores: -58.7%
Clothing and accessories stores: -78.8%

I guess we don't know the volume of the different sectors (retail sales includes spending on gasoline, cars, food and drink, according to the article), but visually these numbers don't average out anywhere near -17%. Maybe there's some other giant sector that's up 40% somewhere?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Groceries appear to be about 1/6 of all retail sales.

Bunch of numbers in table 1 here: https://www.census.gov/retail/marts/www/marts_current.pdf

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
People might still be ordering some clothing stuff ? Like, I’m about to order some gym shorts because I’m suddenly wearing gym shorts almost every day (not saying that’s a good idea).

I would bet pajama sales went up.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Toilet paper, flour and milk propping up the ecnomy

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Juices, muffins
Pasta and cheese
Milk and biscuits
And cocktail sauce
I am a grocery bag

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it’s difficult to gauge without knowing March’s numbers. But March probably wasn’t as bad as April since everything was still open for those first 2 weeks.

How did restaurants and bars only drop 30%?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

At least around here people are actively ordering takeout more in an effort to prop up local restaurants.

That combined with giant drive-thru lines, take-out booze in a lot of cities might have helped offset the losses somewhat.

My girlfriend has been bringing my roomates and I like a gallon of cider every weekend in an effort to support our local cidery's taproom in a one-woman effort to keep them afloat, since it's her favorite place to go out and have a couple drinks at.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

Go to the Winchester, grab eight warm pints, and wait for all of this to blow over.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOwxxsPaogY

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Platystemon posted:

Go to the Winchester, grab eight warm pints, and wait for all of this to blow over.

this was the kind of societal collapse I was banking on, something where you can still band together with your fellow man and get eaten by the living dead as a team not this social distancing the-world-economy-is-bleeding-to-death bullshit, I want panic attacks because lavos erupted from deep beneath utah not panic attacks because my neighbors have been having a giant country-music party for the past 3 days

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Had they just stayed at Liz's apartment everything would have been over by the next day.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/businessinsider/status/1262407584918786053

They're now worth only about twice the cost of the founder's golden parachute. :downs:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Doggles posted:

https://twitter.com/businessinsider/status/1262407584918786053

They're now worth only about twice the cost of the founder's golden parachute. :downs:
So I think they are now actually in line with their competitors who do the exact same thing but weren’t run by a crazy Israeli cultist

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Anyone else been getting ads for these ‘smart’ toaster ovens? They usually include some kind of subscription service for the food as well, but some work by scanning the barcode on existing food packaging.

Here’s one of a few I’ve seen recently:

I have to wonder how long these companies will stick around and how useful these loving things will be if they fold. I can’t imagine how much this thing actually is if there’s a $500 off sale.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

I have to wonder how long these companies will stick around and how useful these loving things will be if they fold. I can’t imagine how much this thing actually is if there’s a $500 off sale.

That’s exactly what I was thinking. Also it’s ridiculous looking.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

List price is $1200. It’s the natural conclusion of the “set it and forget it” dream, where you portion your ingredients and it both refrigerates them until cook time and also automatically cooks them for you to be ready when you want. However this is all happening within the same chamber so if you just want to dry roast your veggies they’re going to get steamed anyway because the pasta/rice is also boiling and throwing a bunch of steam into the chamber.

Also it looks like it’s really only capable of making a basic “pasta/rice and meat and veggies” meal, which is good but also so easy to make that I can’t imagine anyone spending $1200 on a device that only does that thing. Anyone whos time is so valuable that this looks like a good proposition is just gonna get take-out anyway.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Anyone else been getting ads for these ‘smart’ toaster ovens? They usually include some kind of subscription service for the food as well, but some work by scanning the barcode on existing food packaging.

The stupidest part is that if your goal is to avoid meal planning, prepping, or cooking it's already accomplished by a regular toaster oven, which is perfectly capable of heating prepackaged food with no effort.

The only possible advantage is the subscription meals which I assume are intended to be healthier than typical toaster oven :effort: meals, but from what Pawn says it's already just replicating the lowest effort meals you can make other than soup.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Some motherfucker is always trying to reinvent the wheel.

Just on the face of it it doesn’t look like you are really even saving that much time :shrug:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Promoted Pawn posted:

List price is $1200. It’s the natural conclusion of the “set it and forget it” dream, where you portion your ingredients and it both refrigerates them until cook time and also automatically cooks them for you to be ready when you want. However this is all happening within the same chamber so if you just want to dry roast your veggies they’re going to get steamed anyway because the pasta/rice is also boiling and throwing a bunch of steam into the chamber.

Also it looks like it’s really only capable of making a basic “pasta/rice and meat and veggies” meal, which is good but also so easy to make that I can’t imagine anyone spending $1200 on a device that only does that thing. Anyone whos time is so valuable that this looks like a good proposition is just gonna get take-out anyway.
You can make that same kind of meal with a $120 InstaPot

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

FlamingLiberal posted:

You can make that same kind of meal with a $120 InstaPot

You can buy a stove, an instapot, and at least a weeks worth of groceries for $1200.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
(scoffs at these bougie fucks while cooking a starfish on an upturned Chock Full O' Nuts coffee tin)

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I dream of someday owning a Tob-260N which will do everything short of sucking your dad's dick and even that only costs $250

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
^ That's a hell of a sentence.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I dream of someday owning a Tob-260N which will do everything short of sucking your dad's dick and even that only costs $250

Well Father's Day is coming up... how much for the Premium version?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

So, and apparently this is not a joke, Chuck E Cheese created a separate brand name for them to sell pizza and wings via food delivery apps since in most places they can’t open normally

https://twitter.com/usatoday/status/1262714116810162176?s=21

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
That's probably smart. No one's going to pick Chuck E Cheese when they want pizza without the accompaniment of a raucus arcade and playground overseen by a robot rat.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Suvie huh? So is this company's entire business plan selling to people who think this is what that sous vide they've been hearing about is?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

So, and apparently this is not a joke, Chuck E Cheese created a separate brand name for them to sell pizza and wings via food delivery apps since in most places they can’t open normally

https://twitter.com/usatoday/status/1262714116810162176?s=21

This is Pasqually, by the way:

I actually have a great fondness for those weird old Chuck E. Cheese animatronic characters, so when this news broke yesterday I was like you know what, good for you.

You may argue about the quality of CEC pizza, but it's where I learned, as a kid, that I love black olives, so it can never go below 2/5 for me. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Charles "Chuck" Entertainment Cheese.