Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Frog Act posted:

Lol this voyager episode on the dystopian computer run mining colony just gave up on alien makeup altogether for the miners, they’re just regular rear end people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Bolians canonically produce the biggest and nastiest toilet-defiling turds in the Federation

IIRC, there is a Voyager episode where the ship is out of power or the bathrooms aren't functioning, and Neelix tells Janeway that this is starting to become an issue---especially with the Bolians.

I like Bolians, even if they are the punchline of a lot of Star Trek jokes because they take big, meaty shits from eating huge helpings of partially-decayed meat.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I bet Pakled shits are worse.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

I bet Pakled shits are full of hair

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Arcsquad12 posted:

I bet Pakled shits are worse.

We look for things that make us go

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

Patrick Stewart is very old (and sounds raspy). Who would be a good nuPicard? Tom Hardy was a pretty poor choice. Who's got that senatorial timbre?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Ben Kingsley.

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

That's a very good choice, but also getting on in years. I was picturing a fully shorn Jim Carrey.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I'm replacing Frakes with fellow beardo extraordinaire Brian Blessed.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Amusingly it was a really good classic Trek theme episode where the doctor discovered a planet run for peak “efficiency” where the elites refused to provide healthcare to the workers while indulging in luxurious life extending treatments themselves

It had some of the best art / background setting I’ve seen in awhile too, an elysium style fancy space ship hovering over a teeming industrial hellscape

The aliens might be among the laziest ever but it was a very relevant and Trek-morality-lesson episode, nice to see after attempting to watch Picard

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

DebonaireD posted:

Patrick Stewart is very old (and sounds raspy). Who would be a good nuPicard? Tom Hardy was a pretty poor choice. Who's got that senatorial timbre?

no one, let him die and rest.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Joe Rogan is bald, popular, and likes space. New Picard.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
just watched the "nog wants to join star fleet" episode and holy smokes, that whole b plot was incredible (the nog plot, not the kira stuck in a rock plot)

the scene with sisco confronting nog in sisco's office might just be the best moment i've ever had with star trek. absolutely incredible

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Frog Act posted:

Amusingly it was a really good classic Trek theme episode where the doctor discovered a planet run for peak “efficiency” where the elites refused to provide healthcare to the workers while indulging in luxurious life extending treatments themselves

It had some of the best art / background setting I’ve seen in awhile too, an elysium style fancy space ship hovering over a teeming industrial hellscape

The aliens might be among the laziest ever but it was a very relevant and Trek-morality-lesson episode, nice to see after attempting to watch Picard

Sounds like a shittier The Devil in the Dark

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

DebonaireD posted:

What about this

Tom Hardy made up as Picard, but doing Alfie Solomons? Even had a dog.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

RaySmuckles posted:

just watched the "nog wants to join star fleet" episode and holy smokes, that whole b plot was incredible (the nog plot, not the kira stuck in a rock plot)

the scene with sisco confronting nog in sisco's office might just be the best moment i've ever had with star trek. absolutely incredible

Because Nog is secretly the best character in all the Treks

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Frog Act posted:

Lol this voyager episode on the dystopian computer run mining colony just gave up on alien makeup altogether for the miners, they’re just regular rear end people

Giving up on makeup and saying "ah gently caress it, they're still aliens" is a rich Trek tradition. See also Troi, Guinan, Malcolm McDowell in Generations, the immortal muck farmers in Insurrection, and a bunch more that I'm probably forgetting. Like they don't even give any of them a wacky hairstyle.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Right now on an alien world, aliens are watching a show about space travel and the aliens of the week have smooth foreheads and rounded ears.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

RaySmuckles posted:

nog episodes from here on out are all solid.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Nog and Jake are proof that kids on tv shows can be awesome

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Tonight I'm going to drink and watch Equinox

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I heard that there was a dropped scene from the after they come back to DS9, written but not filmed because it didn't fit into the episode they wanted to do.

When they retake DS9 they show some of the crew re-entering their old quarters and assessing the damages. People who had Cardassians in their quarters have it good because they were a military force required to keep their rooms clean. Vorta rooms are messy because they don't give a gently caress. Jem Hadar rooms have all tons of poo poo torn apart from them doing combat practice.

Then Nog enters his room and it's totally destroyed, a complete disaster area, the worst of all. Cause Jake was living in it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Ghostlight posted:

nog episodes from here on out are all solid.

With the exception of maybe the episode where Nog gets upset that the Klingons don't take him seriously. It's got a good scene between him and Martok at the end but the rest is Nog being rather petulant. At least it got some good repartee between Nog and Martok in later episodes.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That ones hilarious. I like when he's like "That's it! I'm going to do something about this!" then trips getting out of his chair, "I'm going to lie down here until they've left, please tell me when they go"

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

With the exception of maybe the episode where Nog gets upset that the Klingons don't take him seriously. It's got a good scene between him and Martok at the end but the rest is Nog being rather petulant. At least it got some good repartee between Nog and Martok in later episodes.
I'm going to bat for that one since the whole point is Nog being a by-the-book starfleet dick who takes his job too seriously.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I heard that there was a dropped scene from the after they come back to DS9, written but not filmed because it didn't fit into the episode they wanted to do.

When they retake DS9 they show some of the crew re-entering their old quarters and assessing the damages. People who had Cardassians in their quarters have it good because they were a military force required to keep their rooms clean. Vorta rooms are messy because they don't give a gently caress. Jem Hadar rooms have all tons of poo poo torn apart from them doing combat practice.

Then Nog enters his room and it's totally destroyed, a complete disaster area, the worst of all. Cause Jake was living in it.

That would've been awesome!

Roundabout
Oct 31, 2006
It's Crumbelievable!
An important Star Trek Picard update:

https://twitter.com/SirPatStew/status/1261806885960921091?s=20

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Frakes looking more and more like James Lipton

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Romulans have ceremonial weapons for poo poo breaks and are taught how to defend themselves from the toilet at a young age because of how easdy it is to assassinate someone in such a vulnerable position.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
Dammit all of SirPatStew's online presence is wholesome af.

Dunno if this was posted already bu some guy on reddit in some decent act of self-advertisment selfishness giving back made a AI-enhanced 4k upscale of his favorite tng episodes. S3e10 the defector, s3e15 yesterdays enterprise and All Good Things.
Roughly 2.7 gb per episode
http://www.digitaldistortionbbs.com:81/torrents/

From the 'info.txt' that is supplied with each file

quote:

This was upscaled from the 1080p blu-ray with AI using Topaz Labs Video Enhance
AI with the "Gaia HQ" profile. H.265 video, AAC audio.

Quality is pretty decent

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Patrick Stewart might have been the star of TNG, but Johnathan Frakes was the greatest thing to come from it.

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!
Missed all the toilet chat, but, you're all wrong, Riker told us ages ago where to poop on the enterprise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAKQzZfpaz8

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Bogus Adventure posted:

Patrick Stewart might have been the star of TNG, but Johnathan Frakes was the greatest thing to come from it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GM-e46xdcUo

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Danaru posted:

We look for things that make us go
Worf: I know of a juice, but they hardly seem worthy of it.

Communist Walrus posted:

Giving up on makeup and saying "ah gently caress it, they're still aliens" is a rich Trek tradition. See also Troi, Guinan, Malcolm McDowell in Generations, the immortal muck farmers in Insurrection, and a bunch more that I'm probably forgetting. Like they don't even give any of them a wacky hairstyle.
There's a stretch of 3-4 episodes almost back to back mid-season 3 where it's all perfectly human aliens and for some reason they're also all about revolution in some way, and the revolutionaries are always decked out in budget Mad Max gear with 80s hair.

On the one hand it was pretty clever to make the Pakled all fat and jolly looking and it would have been neat if they'd similarly made some budget alien civilizations just by casting actors who are really tall or short or bald have some other common external characteristic. On the other that kind of approach needs a very sensitive touch or you get Ligonians.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

WilWheaton posted:

Missed all the toilet chat, but, you're all wrong, Riker told us ages ago where to poop on the enterprise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAKQzZfpaz8

Hard to believe I clipped this for a FYAD request DocEvil made 12 years ago, and that people still use it, and that 130000 people have watched it.

The software I used to clip it was awful free/shareware and I had to listen to it at least a hundred times to get the audio synced up properly. Do I still watch it everytime someone posts it? Of course I do.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Bogus Adventure posted:

I occasionally think about how ironic it is that despite having arguably the least developed/good character on the show (Marina Sirtis would get to fight him for it) in the form of Geordi, LeVar Burton absolutely has had the most prestigious and beloved career outside of Trek, both prior to and since it was on the air (amongst the main cast, obviously).

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

EimiYoshikawa posted:

I occasionally think about how ironic it is that despite having arguably the least developed/good character on the show (Marina Sirtis would get to fight him for it) in the form of Geordi, LeVar Burton absolutely has had the most prestigious and beloved career outside of Trek, both prior to and since it was on the air (amongst the main cast, obviously).

That's because LeVar Burton is too good for this world. He did Roots, Reading Rainbow, and Star Trek. He's amazing, and I love him.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Geordi had enough episodes to get fleshed out, but instead they just did "Geordi accidentally creeps on a woman and gets shot down" like nine times, give the guy a break writers jesus

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Bogus Adventure posted:

That's because LeVar Burton is too good for this world. He did Roots, Reading Rainbow, and Star Trek. He's amazing, and I love him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZjAantupsA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

DebonaireD posted:

Hardy was, but that was a long time ago under a lovely director with a lackluster script. I wouldn't mind seeing him take another shot at it now (though he might not, since his Nemesis experience was so bad he became seriously depressed for a while and almost quit acting entirely).