Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

kid sinister posted:

Call before you dig, people!

Of course, I'm not sure that the utility companies know about undiscovered 6th century graveyards...

Your great great great great great great great great great great great great great great grandmother's dildo has arrived.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Nenonen posted:

No, the other way around. How did you think Harriet Tubman helped slaves escape? Did you think it was an allegory or something?
I don't want this joke to go unnoticed.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

kid sinister posted:

Call before you dig, people!

Of course, I'm not sure that the utility companies know about undiscovered 6th century graveyards...

I suppose I could be wrong, but I feel like this might be fake.
Obviously it was directionally drilled otherwise they likely wouldn't have installed a gas line through a skeleton. But it seems like the bones might be more hosed up from having been drilled and most likely backreamed when the pipe was pulled back from the other side.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

We just moved into a "craftsman-style" bungalow built in 1920 recently used as a marketing office. The commercial additions are extremely puzzling but not destructive for the most part. I went to the planning office and pulled permits (before the current troubles), but Yakima is kind of the wild west and it has built up 100 years of tumors such as this:

A floating wall with two adjacent doors opening into the same space.

Why? Apparently it was used as an office for 4 people, with facing desks. Why does the wall intersect the molding like a map glitch? Because they couldn't shift the wall over further due to the front door:

(please forgive moving clutter, apparently hard to purchase furniture during a pandemic)

Why is there molding? Is that a picture rail? Nope, it's a covered opening, I know because whenever they added HVAC to it they put a vent right in the middle for some reason (also the vent "solution and trim are on both sides):

They also painted white over everything with sprayers, which we hope to address in the future. I mean everything too, except for where a cupboard door wasn't closed, leaving a paint shadow; but little velcro circles, blue sticky tack, it's all under there.

Here are some of the cool features we want to restore eventually:

My main complaint is they made the bathroom ADA compliant, which would be fine, except the clearances and rails mean there is no storage whatsoever save for the toilet roll holder and shelves in the hideous weird shower whose surround cuts into and covers a quarter of the window frame.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

wesleywillis posted:

I suppose I could be wrong, but I feel like this might be fake.
Obviously it was directionally drilled otherwise they likely wouldn't have installed a gas line through a skeleton. But it seems like the bones might be more hosed up from having been drilled and most likely backreamed when the pipe was pulled back from the other side.

The bones were still buried when the pipe was pushed through.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

GotLag posted:

The bones were still buried when the pipe was pushed through.

The tunnel being drilled and the pipe being pushed through should have significantly disturbed the bones, though. Even in situ.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Well it did. As you can see, there’s a giant hole and pipe through them now.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
It was a million to one shot, Doc, million to one.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

The Aphasian posted:

Why is there molding? Is that a picture rail? Nope, it's a covered opening, I know because whenever they added HVAC to it they put a vent right in the middle for some reason (also the vent "solution and trim are on both sides):

1920s is about right for baseboard registers. Some were giant things that poked out several inches from the corner of the wall and floor like that. I'm betting that a few were missing and the previous company didn't feel like spending the big bucks to get reproductions.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

kid sinister posted:

1920s is about right for baseboard registers. Some were giant things that poked out several inches from the corner of the wall and floor like that. I'm betting that a few were missing and the previous company didn't feel like spending the big bucks to get reproductions.

There are a couple left, although this one is missing the little lever.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

The Aphasian posted:

We just moved into a "craftsman-style" bungalow built in 1920 recently used as a marketing office. The commercial additions are extremely puzzling but not destructive for the most part. I went to the planning office and pulled permits (before the current troubles), but Yakima is kind of the wild west and it has built up 100 years of tumors such as this:

A floating wall with two adjacent doors opening into the same space.

Why? Apparently it was used as an office for 4 people, with facing desks. Why does the wall intersect the molding like a map glitch? Because they couldn't shift the wall over further due to the front door:

(please forgive moving clutter, apparently hard to purchase furniture during a pandemic)

They also painted white over everything with sprayers, which we hope to address in the future. I mean everything too, except for where a cupboard door wasn't closed, leaving a paint shadow; but little velcro circles, blue sticky tack, it's all under there.

Here are some of the cool features we want to restore eventually:

My main complaint is they made the bathroom ADA compliant, which would be fine, except the clearances and rails mean there is no storage whatsoever save for the toilet roll holder and shelves in the hideous weird shower whose surround cuts into and covers a quarter of the window frame.

I really like the built-ins and want to see the after pictures, but restoring the dog will be AWESOME

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I want to be there for the day when you knock down the wall. It's going to instantly feel like a different space.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Lemniscate Blue posted:

The tunnel being drilled and the pipe being pushed through should have significantly disturbed the bones, though. Even in situ.

How? It's apparent just from the picture that the soil is quite hard (not surpising after 1500 years, especially in an environment busy enough for the pipe to have been installed laterally).
Even assuming the bones weren't weakened by time and decay they'd have had nowhere to be displaced to.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

from a discord

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Sunken tub, meet raised drain. A match made in heaven.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Another one for the rear end in a top hat builder's bag of tricks.
I wonder how the costumer offended to deserve this.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

By popular demand posted:

Another one for the rear end in a top hat builder's bag of tricks.
I wonder how the costumer offended to deserve this.

Probably didn't have the right spiderman in stock

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I mean when you think about it, it's actually genius.

If no water goes in the drain, it can't ever get plugged up. This builder's avoided a common thing that people would be upset or annoyed about.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

I mean when you think about it, it's actually genius.

If no water goes in the drain, it can't ever get plugged up. This builder's avoided a common thing that people would be upset or annoyed about.

Instead you have a pool of fetid swamp water to stand in while you shower! Which in retrospect isn't all that different from a clogged drain is it?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Warmachine posted:

Instead you have a pool of fetid swamp water to stand in while you shower! Which in retrospect isn't all that different from a clogged drain is it?

There doesn't seem to be a lip to stop the water from flowing right out the door. Where it goes after that? :shrug:

Picture reposted for convienince.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Facebook Aunt posted:

There doesn't seem to be a lip to stop the water from flowing right out the door. Where it goes after that? :shrug:

You have it the wrong way - the water comes in from under the door.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Y’all are talking about the drain and I can’t stop staring at those grout lines

MattO
Oct 10, 2003

That picture's just flipped, you're looking at the ceiling, that's the drain for the shower in the bathroom above.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Facebook Aunt posted:

Picture reposted for convienince.
There is another drain outside the door.

By design, to fix the issue of the raised one.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Y’all are talking about the drain and I can’t stop staring at those grout lines
They're really more grout suggestions.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I think it's just following the form of the tiles, i.e. severely non-rectified, or moulded to look like it

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/...xsikTWUWrC0n2Sw

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

God dammit, I was just coming here to post this one

Its worth checking out, but I'm not gonna spoil the surprise by posting the pictures in here

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

The Glumslinger posted:

Its worth checking out, but I'm not gonna spoil the surprise by posting the pictures in here

edit:

Ok... looks normal...

...ok, it's hard to suss out the architecture with all the junk--wait, is that a mace?

...Uhhhhhhhh

I'm not sure how the tinfoil man helps sell the house but ok.

:stare:

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!

The Glumslinger posted:

That could be a fascinating 1 night stay in an AirBnB but actually buying it? No thank you.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
The home decorating sticks to a consistent theme, and that theme is crazy person.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Kinda digging the spaceship D&D room, because let's not pretend that isn't what it is.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
What you don’t want to live in your IRL animal crossing house?

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

My Lovely Horse posted:

Kinda digging the spaceship D&D room, because let's not pretend that isn't what it is.
I appreciate going balls-to-the-wall dedicated in a room for fun interactive gaming with your friends, it's the rest of the house that makes me go 'so they were just like that, huh'.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Pro-click right here, look at the photos in order, it's a fuckin journey

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I'm the mad & life laying on the bed of the "vintage" room

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Goddamn, someone willingly recreated that insane beach room from Trading Spaces in their own home!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_xye7OESnc&t=467s

Silver John
Sep 30, 2014

I have to respect the owners dedication to whimsy

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

canyoneer posted:

The home decorating sticks to a consistent theme, and that theme is multiple personality.

Fixed that for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

canyoneer posted:

The home decorating sticks to a consistent theme, and that theme is multiple 80s sitcoms.

Fixed that for you both.