Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Frosta being straight up gangsta when she clocks Catra was great. I wish we had more episodes, but what an incredible show this has been. Also Entrapta's constant gifability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Episode 11 reaction: She's an awful person, but also Shadow Weaver rules extremely hard. "Micah is such a strong sorcerer... shame it doesn't run in the family." hahahaha brutal. Once again making solid points while throwing Catra under the bus, it's her fav game in town. Legendary bitch. Love it. Sad she broke up the girlfriends but I know this is only a temporary setback. Gotta be. Catra and Adora smooch at the end, it must happen.

Episode 12 reaction: All right, things are really kicking it into high gear now. Whole lotta "I love you" going around this episode, it's great! Being honest and open with your feelings, that's the way to be. Perfuma's philosophy is the best philosophy. In other news, apparently Shadow Weaver has "annoy my adopted daughters" powder. Pretty handy.

Sankara fucked around with this message at 00:30 on May 17, 2020

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I'M NOT CRYING ABOUT CATRA'S REUNION YOU'RE CRYING

e: By the power of HAIR POOF

Chokes McGee fucked around with this message at 00:42 on May 17, 2020

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Episode 13 reaction: YEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

She-ra and the Princesses of Power: We ARE ok with this!

Some people's reactions will be https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7YW045deBY

Mr.Pibbleton fucked around with this message at 00:57 on May 17, 2020

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

In the second to last episode I'm convinced Shadow Weaver was drunk from the way she handled that tea cup and

Edit: I give up on posting that gif, here's a link. https://imgur.com/a/25fmDIQ

Mr.Pibbleton fucked around with this message at 01:29 on May 17, 2020

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
From Shadow Weaver, it's one final manipulation.

However this ends, I've lost the two of them. If Adora dies, Catra will never return to me. If Catra dies, Adora will never forgive me. If they both survive, they'll turn to each other, and I'll have lost them forever.

Screw that. I'll go out on my own terms, and they'll spend sleepless nights trying to figure out if I ever really loved them, and whether I was a good person, deep down. And I'll be dead, so there's nothing I can do to overshadow this moment, and it will color every memory of me they, or anyone, has, forever.

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:
And that's why I kinda love Shadow Weaver.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

The intro changes a little throughout the season at S05E01, S05E07 (Catra is replaced with an energy orb), S05E08 (Spinnerella, Scorpia, Mermista, and Micah are added), and S05E11 (Spinnerella leaves).

Nerdietalk posted:

Finale spoilers: I think what makes Catra's redemption work for me and Catradora is that after all their trouble, they ultimately both bring out better in each other. At the end, the way she's asking Adora to stay is fundamentally different than her demands at the start. Catra started the show trying to control Adora and restrict Adora's freedom. She's demanding Adora give up everything for her specifically. But at the end, she's begging Adora to stop trying to give up everything. Adora brings out Catra's stunted empathy, but Catra forces Adora to stop sacrificing herself for others.

seconding this

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 02:30 on May 17, 2020

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The perfect ending. Everything I was hoping for throughout the whole season. :h:

galenanorth posted:

The intro changes a little throughout the season at S05E01, S05E07 (Catra is replaced with an energy orb), S05E08 (Spinnerella, Scorpia, Mermista, and Micah are added), and S05E11 (Spinnerella leaves).
The parts after that change too. Catra changes designs and smiles after clashing with Shera after she's rescued. The final group shot changes as people get chipped. And once Spinerella is back she and Netossa are smooching. A lot of nice touches.

Also Wrong Hordak is there holding a wrench and looking absolutely adorable.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

In the second to last episode I'm convinced Shadow Weaver was drunk from the way she handled that tea cup and

Edit: I give up on posting that gif, here's a link. https://imgur.com/a/25fmDIQ

if the link ends with .mp4, just change it to .gif

maltesh
May 20, 2004

tsob posted:

I'd also say I just didn't find it fitting that Catra basically got what she wanted all along, despite all the terrible things she did.

Shadow Weaver: "I am so proud of you, Catra."

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
like 90% of the best parts of this season take place in the background while the other characters are trying to do something serious.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Nobody seems to have mentioned it so far, but I really liked the new design of the She-Ra form. It's supposed to look way more like Adora, since by this point she takes the power from herself, rather than some cursed legacy. That pony tail looks great on her and fits way better than the bushy hair with the crown.

Also the start of episode 10 is glorious. Nettossa was never that important, but this made me really like her. Does anyone have some screenshots of her cute drawings? The one of Mermista was great.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

cant cook creole bream posted:

Nobody seems to have mentioned it so far, but I really liked the new design of the She-Ra form. It's supposed to look way more like Adora, since by this point she takes the power from herself, rather than some cursed legacy. That pony tail looks great on her and fits way better than the bushy hair with the crown.

Also the start of episode 10 is glorious. Nettossa was never that important, but this made me really like her. Does anyone have some screenshots of her cute drawings? The one of Mermista was great.

People have pointed out she's got Adora's ponytail, Glimmer's wings (on her shoes), Bow's heart on her chest, and Catra's helmet

Now where's Seahawk's mustache

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Vinylshadow posted:

People have pointed out she's got Adora's ponytail, Glimmer's wings (on her shoes), Bow's heart on her chest, and Catra's helmet

Now where's Seahawk's mustache

the answer may shock you!

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Her new transformation also looks quite a lot more like the 80s She-Ra, which I thought was kind of cool.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Darth Walrus posted:

It is kind of funny how Netflix now has two flagship cartoons with major subplots about narcissistic parents and the damage they do.

Three, now ATLA is in their library.

Are you also counting the Willowghbys?

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

C season, B+ finale. Kind of a let down after three extremely well-paced and plotted seasons; felt like they had too much to wrap up in just one more season and it feels like that was pretty much the case. Plenty of spoilery complaints, but special shout-out to (final episode spoilers) Catra's final plea being to Adora to "stay, just once." The problem was never Adora not choosing to stay with their abusive mom(?) and fascist army, and it really gives away the game that the show genuinely feels like Catra did nothing wrong.

In retrospect, probably should've started the Catra redemption in S4 rather than giving us a whole season of her alienating literally everyone around her.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
https://twitter.com/davepoems/status/1192777216528146432

This is kind of all of Noelle's horrible monster characters who are then deemed sufficiently cute and/or gay :v:

Replace genocide with murder or war crimes or blowing up the planet as needed.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I absolutely loved it. I've got a dark reader on so I can't tell what people are spoiling and what they aren't so I'll just put it in spoilers.

Honestly I'm okay with Catra's redemption. I can buy that she can't tell Adora she loves her and it drives her insane inside, enough to do everything that she did. Even though her feelings are obvious to us they're not obvious to her. And that the complete and utter loss of everything she'd spent her time building would make her realise what she's done fitted for me too.

It didn't feel rushed to me either. When I thought there were only 11 episodes - because that's why IMBD says - I was worried about them spending time goofing about in space but it still all fitted well. While they could have done more episodes at no point did I feel like they NEEDED more episodes.

Thought that Noelle making herself the villain was great and it was nice to see Spinerella finally get to do something.

And yea you definitely see the friends they made on the crystal world in a shot when Hordak Prime is talking about rebellions. I'm not really sure what the idea of them was - maybe to show that everywhere else there's also a potential for hope? They were decent characters though, shame to see them so little.

The only thing I dislike is that they kept saying universe. Just be smaller, please be smaller.

Oh and the intro changing in basically every episode is rad as gently caress, it shouldn't give you the option to skip it. I love the theme song anyway but god such amazing attention to detail.

Taear fucked around with this message at 23:01 on May 17, 2020

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Taear posted:

see the friends they made on the crystal world in a shot when Hordak Prime is talking about rebellions. I'm not really sure what the idea of them was - maybe to show that everywhere else there's also a potential for hope? They were decent characters though, shame to see them so little.

It's also the second time they have characters referencing the Star Sisters, the first time being in S1E8, "Princess Prom". Those Star Sisters didn't speak, though. Peekablue also got a namedrop in that episode, though I don't thin a gender was mentioned.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Just finish the last season. Glad I'm not the only one not onboard with Catra's redemption arc. Honestly, that soured the season as a whole for me despite bit-for-bit, it was probably my favorite one.

I'm just glad more people are finally understanding how totally broken Red Tornado actually is. :getin:

I remember a bunch of people surmising during the first few seasons that if Scorpia actually reconnected with the Garnet, she'd be physically one of, if not the strongest of the princesses. Glad that came out to be true.

Best comedy moment: Mermista and Seahawk black bagging half the guests at the underwater shindig.

Best serious moment: Catra and Glimmer's dinner with Prime

Biggest "Oh gently caress" moment: Reveal of Catra being chipped

Sickest burn: Shadow Weaver on Castaspella, the whole time.

Biggest "Fanfic-ing Your Own Show" moment: The projected dream sequence with future team.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 01:24 on May 18, 2020

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

AlternateNu posted:

Just finish the last season. Glad I'm not the only one not onboard with Catra's redemption arc. Honestly, that soured the season as a whole for me despite bit-for-bit, it was probably my favorite one.

I'm just glad more people are finally understanding how totally broken Red Tornado actually is. :getin:

I remember a bunch of people surmising during the first few seasons that if Scorpia actually reconnected with the Garnet, she'd be physically one of, if not the strongest of the princesses. Glad that came out to be true.

Best comedy moment: Mermista and Seahawk black bagging half the guests at the underwater shindig.

Best serious moment: Catra and Glimmer's dinner with Prime

Biggest "Oh gently caress" moment: Reveal of Catra being chipped

Sickest burn: Shadow Weaver on Castaspella, the whole time.

Biggest "Fan Art in Your Own Show" moment: The projected dream sequence with future team.

Most character development in a single season: Wrong Hordak

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
GIF

THAT

loving

KISSSSSSSS

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
The one low-key minor thing bugging me about the finale is Adora really needs to find a way to just be without having a Mission To Go On. So let's have her go on a mission to bring magic back to the universe! :shepface: I know this is just a 'we're wrapping things up and giving you a vague idea of what they'll do after' thing, but yeesh.

Android Blues posted:

Her new transformation also looks quite a lot more like the 80s She-Ra, which I thought was kind of cool.
I just got huge Sailor Moon vibes from it, honestly. Maybe it's the tiara.

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

I know we were never going to get anything from He-Man in this, but I still really wanted to see how this show would have handled Skeletor.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

shadowvine118 posted:

I know we were never going to get anything from He-Man in this, but I still really wanted to see how this show would have handled Skeletor.

I just have a feeling that Kevin Smith's going to make him the "melting face" Skeletor instead of perpetually-cranky Skeletor from the 80s version. I never got into He-Man because even at the age of five in 1986 I liked watching a show about a leggy blonde with great hair and magnificent bedroom voice way more than overly muscular guys grunting - I got plenty of that from my father being into WWF.

Couldn't get into G.I. Joe for the same reason. =/

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

shadowvine118 posted:

Mark Hamill is lined up to voice him for the Kevin Smith thing which will probably be fun (and probably a good indication that they'll be doing some version of the perpetually cranky Skeletor)

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 07:12 on May 18, 2020

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

High Warlord Zog posted:

Mark Hamill is lined up to voice him for the Kevin Smith thing which will probably be fun

I could be down for Chucky/Cockknocker Skeletor. Joker's sacrosanct.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Or his Skeksis character from Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Tone wise the Skeksis would be a great template for the villains for a He Man reboot. I love the way that series pivoted them between bumbling, shrieking pantomime antagonists and ohfuck ohfuck whataretheydoing ohfuckno nonono

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I laughed at Adora's expression during the "Don't go into the light!" "It's not that kind of light." joke.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Opinion on the serie:

I enjoyed the wholesameness of the whole serie. Kind of different role models to follow.

Animation and overall design is atrocious. G.I.Joe style from the 80's. Maybe this is a western thing?, maybe I have watched too much anime where quality is much better in things like animations, enemy design and plot.

The plot could have been a bit better, there where too much smugness in some characters "we cool and we know we are cool". Do all planets have princesses? I trough it was a eternia thing.

I hope catra hair grown again, I liked her more with long hair

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Couldn't get into G.I. Joe for the same reason. =/

Then you missed some episodes where the writers were exceptionally thirsty for the Baroness and Lady Jaye.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Tei posted:

Opinion on the serie:

I enjoyed the wholesameness of the whole serie. Kind of different role models to follow.

Animation and overall design is atrocious. G.I.Joe style from the 80's. Maybe this is a western thing?, maybe I have watched too much anime where quality is much better in things like animations, enemy design and plot.

The plot could have been a bit better, there where too much smugness in some characters "we cool and we know we are cool". Do all planets have princesses? I trough it was a eternia thing.

I hope catra hair grown again, I liked her more with long hair

\

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I started watching the first few episodes one at a time, then two at a time, then binged the rest once people started getting chipped

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

Some people have problems with this season but have you considered: i am a lesbian and AAAAAAA HOLY SHIIIIIIIIT THEY DID IT

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Beekeeping and You posted:

Some people have problems with this season but have you considered: i am a lesbian and AAAAAAA HOLY SHIIIIIIIIT THEY DID IT

I'd argue there was plenty of lesbian energy without the need for bad redemption arcs. Or if they were going to do it, it should've been a good-bye kiss as Catra sacrifices herself instead of Shadow Weaver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

I'd rather have a lackluster/inadequate redemption arc than another in a long line of "they can't be together because reasons" endings, to be honest.