Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I was unsure whether people would be upset with my posts about meat birds but I felt
It was a different perspective of raising backyard chickens. If people don’t want to see my journey here I would hope they say so and I won’t post about them.

I want to see more of your posts. Learning about raising meat birds is an interesting topic, from both the practicality of it (these birds will not be able to live for long without major health issues) and the emotional side of it.

I was looking up turkeys a while back and it's just... there's something very strange to me about breeding a bird so it will get as big as possible with a giant breast, so it will be delicious. I'm not saying it's wrong - I'm saying that it's strange, and American culture is so distanced from food production that it's something of a culture shock to learn about how we do it these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

I want to see more of your posts. Learning about raising meat birds is an interesting topic, from both the practicality of it (these birds will not be able to live for long without major health issues) and the emotional side of it.

I was looking up turkeys a while back and it's just... there's something very strange to me about breeding a bird so it will get as big as possible with a giant breast, so it will be delicious. I'm not saying it's wrong - I'm saying that it's strange, and American culture is so distanced from food production that it's something of a culture shock to learn about how we do it these days.

cornish x, broadbreasted, etc really aren't necessarily about taste so much as feed to meat conversion ratios. The heavier the bird is on less feed, the less overhead you have and the more you make.

turkeys are cool friends. they just also die really easily. if you have the right land and the right shelter, they're great and there's a bunch of really gorgeous birds. Royal palms look amazing.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

cornish x, broadbreasted, etc really aren't necessarily about taste so much as feed to meat conversion ratios. The heavier the bird is on less feed, the less overhead you have and the more you make.

I did the Cornish a few times - they were the dumbest birds. But, they were delicious, and ready to harvest at 8-9 weeks. I doubt I'll do it again, but have no regrets. I have a flock of 6 layers right now, and they are a lot more personable and fun.

In related news my Eglu (ordered in March) will finally be here at the end of the month.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

What if you dislike breast meat and prefer leg meat. Is there a chicken breed that gets thicc legs?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Alterian posted:

What if you dislike breast meat and prefer leg meat. Is there a chicken breed that gets thicc legs?

You want pastured rainbow rangers/freedom rangers/god those birds have like 90 names. Preferably roos.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso
Neptune is laying, or rather not laying, soft-shelled eggs. Twice now she's laid a yolk and I had to pull the shell out for her.

Our analysis is that she's fallen down the pecking order, and is also one of the two chickens who regularly hop out of the run to forage around the yard. So we think she's not getting enough calcium because she's not eating enough of her regular feed.

Our plan is to isolate her for a couple days and only give her regular feed and some grit. We also put her in a warm bath. Any other suggestions?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Alterian posted:

That’s why I’m raising *Rangers. I want that big thick leg and a more used breast muscle with flavor. To be fair though one of the feeders fell the other day and instead of having to stand to eat they could sit. Every single one of them was sitting on their rear end gorging themselves. They really aren’t that far off from CXs, but they don’t look like half feathered mutants.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Ugh, I lost my cockatiels this year. It blowed. I had every loving window in the house open. Every single one. Huge squirrel box fans blowing, towels under their door, everything. I had to use drano to fully unblock a drain. I walked in and all three were dead in a little heap in the corner of their cage. That was a couple of months ago and I'm still debating if I want to go get another little derp buddy. Webster and Michi, the ringnecks, still make cockatiel calls at the cockatiel cage like they're trying to find their little pals.

She's wonderful and I want to give her a nice paper bag to yell at me about.

My God, I'm so sorry that happened. I don't have the words for that experience. Birds, as I'm sure you know, are incredibly sensitive to airborne stuff. I don't use nonstick pans for that reason. (Even though they'd have to be heated to 500-600 degrees, which most American ovens cannot do.)

I once lost two family members, a close friend, and all three of my parrots to different causes in a five month period and it nearly broke my brain. I hope you're doing OK.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Captain Log posted:

My God, I'm so sorry that happened. I don't have the words for that experience. Birds, as I'm sure you know, are incredibly sensitive to airborne stuff. I don't use nonstick pans for that reason. (Even though they'd have to be heated to 500-600 degrees, which most American ovens cannot do.)

I once lost two family members, a close friend, and all three of my parrots to different causes in a five month period and it nearly broke my brain. I hope you're doing OK.

I'm super careful with everything and I even called their vet to ask about the drano: who said "oh I'm sure it'll be fine".

It was not fine. It wasn't fine at all. I just. every window open. No way for it to get into their room. I did everything and it was just a sad little pile of friends. I'm up and down about it. While I know I couldn't have done anything else and it -had- to be done, if I'd had an outdoor area for them I could've shoved them out there, maybe? Something? But the local stray cats are a problem.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I'm super careful with everything and I even called their vet to ask about the drano: who said "oh I'm sure it'll be fine".

It was not fine. It wasn't fine at all. I just. every window open. No way for it to get into their room. I did everything and it was just a sad little pile of friends. I'm up and down about it. While I know I couldn't have done anything else and it -had- to be done, if I'd had an outdoor area for them I could've shoved them out there, maybe? Something? But the local stray cats are a problem.

You can't put that on yourself. You literally did everything a responsible owner would do.

I'm so sorry. The image of all that is sticking with me and I wish I could give you a hug or something. That's so loving wretched and I'm glad you're doing OK. I was a literal mess after I lost my flock in a short period of time.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

That's heartbreaking and I'm so sorry :sympathy:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/ewalus/status/1262458848519938048

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

For the record I was never upset yo! Don't keep that narrative up, I explained myself.

A friend of mine had a conure for about 7 years, but around 5 or 6 years back her ex-bf accidentally killed it when trying to shut a door behind himself and the bird was just trailing too close behind. Her conure was quite the character and a big reason why I think I'd really enjoy such a clever pet, but she took the loss hard and is likely going to stay mad about it for her life.

It just puts me in mind of the new problem-proofing I'd have to go through to feel comfortably prepped for a pet like that. The other big thing is, it seems that a characteristic of every parrot out there is that they will be loud on occasion, like 3 inches from your ear. I'm prone to migraines from shrill noise, I don't know if I would adapt for that.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

5er posted:

I'm prone to migraines from shrill noise, I don't know if I would adapt for that.

(Bourke's are chill as hell.)

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Alterian posted:

Both my wife and I are not white meat, or breast fans, but the breasts from the CX were delicious and juicy.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Its hard to photograph 5 chicks at the same time.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Had a fox come by the coop yesterday evening! Larger than I thought, didn't manage to get a photo though. Predators are out in force these days...

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Alterian posted:

Its hard to photograph 5 chicks at the same time.

It only gets more difficult! Cute batch there.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
These doofuses kill each other trying to eat.

https://imgur.com/gallery/VKU72uj

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 03:51 on May 23, 2020

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Errant Gin Monks posted:

These diffuses kill each other trying to eat.

pipe feeders work pretty decent

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

pipe feeders work pretty decent

Could you imagine 27 of these idiots trying to eat from a pipe feeder? They would murder each other.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Could you imagine 27 of these idiots trying to eat from a pipe feeder? They would murder each other.

a horizontal pipe feeder, not a verticle one.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

What would make a several weeks old duckling suddenly stop eating/drinking?

My gf called me this morning saying one of four ducks she's concerned about, but as far as I know, nothing has changed in their habitat or their food/water situation. (duck crumbles/water with electrolytes/duck pellets we haven't used yet afaik, and they have a heat lamp and she gives them a bath every day while she builds the shed thing for them)

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Errant Gin Monks posted:

These doofuses kill each other trying to eat.

Kinda seems like maybe you could use one more feeder in there?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

What would make a several weeks old duckling suddenly stop eating/drinking?

My gf called me this morning saying one of four ducks she's concerned about, but as far as I know, nothing has changed in their habitat or their food/water situation. (duck crumbles/water with electrolytes/duck pellets we haven't used yet afaik, and they have a heat lamp and she gives them a bath every day while she builds the shed thing for them)

Is it doing anything other than not eating? Is the crop totally empty? How hot is it in there?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

5er posted:

Kinda seems like maybe you could use one more feeder in there?

I could but they really don’t need it. There is a frenzy every time we fill them up. They are never empty we just top them off every day. They are just gluttons.

Today I finish the fence to keep them in the back part of the yard so they can get out and free range a bit.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Is it doing anything other than not eating? Is the crop totally empty? How hot is it in there?

It was pretty listless and couldn't walk very well. It was apparently fine last night but we found out it had been coughing or wheezing? For a few days. It was brought to the vet and apparently had a viral infection and maybe pneumonia. They suggested putting it down and she decided to do that. :( they didn't have a lot of hope for intubation would help.

She does not have a "shed" built for them outside yet (maybe tomorrow) but for now the remaining three ducklings are in basically a big tote in the bathroom with a infrared heating lamp, and water, and water electrolytes mix, and had duck crumbles and duck pellets. They'd be on pine bedding changed daily and a bath daily.

The ducks are five weeks old.

I haven't really been heavily involved in their husbandry, but this seemed fine for ducklings on Google. They might have had chicken feed maybe in the past but not really since I've been involved in it.

Their legs/knees shake a bit when they are drying off and idk if that's normal or a niacin deficiency, all their food is formulated for duck pellets Purina stuff.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

It was pretty listless and couldn't walk very well. It was apparently fine last night but we found out it had been coughing or wheezing? For a few days. It was brought to the vet and apparently had a viral infection and maybe pneumonia. They suggested putting it down and she decided to do that. :( they didn't have a lot of hope for intubation would help.

She does not have a "shed" built for them outside yet (maybe tomorrow) but for now the remaining three ducklings are in basically a big tote in the bathroom with a infrared heating lamp, and water, and water electrolytes mix, and had duck crumbles and duck pellets. They'd be on pine bedding changed daily and a bath daily.

The ducks are five weeks old.

I haven't really been heavily involved in their husbandry, but this seemed fine for ducklings on Google. They might have had chicken feed maybe in the past but not really since I've been involved in it.

Their legs/knees shake a bit when they are drying off and idk if that's normal or a niacin deficiency, all their food is formulated for duck pellets Purina stuff.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

either lack of b vitamins (which is unlikely considering diet) or it got overheated and died.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

either lack of b vitamins (which is unlikely considering diet) or it got overheated and died.

How long should it have the light on? Is it a bad thing if their top half is dry but underside is damp? It's a small bathroom and I want to say it was around 80 in there

They have pine bedding per everything I've read to give them, but they sure do like to taste the shavings a lot.

The vet thought it was a virus that would not transfer to the others

edit: we put a towel down in the tub instead of the bedding and they're dry now. guess they needed more absorption

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 05:36 on May 24, 2020

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

First time out of the coop and into the surrounding area. I finished the fence this afternoon to keep them inside. Only about half came out and it took them a good 30 minutes once the door was open to attempt it.

They really are extremely lazy.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Just some chillax duckling:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97S9ktx7jWw

They're starting to get their different colored feathers in, though not this one yet.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Just some chillax duckling:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97S9ktx7jWw

They're starting to get their different colored feathers in, though not this one yet.

What a relaxed fluff duck. :3:

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Errant Gin Monks posted:

First time out of the coop and into the surrounding area. I finished the fence this afternoon to keep them inside. Only about half came out and it took them a good 30 minutes once the door was open to attempt it.

They really are extremely lazy.

Look at those little brown hens! :3:

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Awww at chill duck vid and hen pics. :3:

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

spookygonk posted:

Look at those little brown hens! :3:

Yeah the roosters are running around beating the poo poo out of each other. The hens just do their own thing.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Things are going well in chicken land.

I put in some diagonal perches higher up in the coop and for a dustbath put in a sandbox filled with... sand, DTE and a little bit of ash. The chickens love to pile up and sit in it.

And use the area just in front of it as their dust bath instead :downs:

:negative:

That Works fucked around with this message at 17:07 on May 24, 2020

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

That's just chicken logic.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
One of my Roos can’t close his beak all the way. His top beak curves down too much to allow the bottom beak to seal. I felt bad for him until I realized he was the poo poo head that keeps crowing all the time.

If he keeps it up I’m eating that motherfucker first.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

https://mobile.twitter.com/shelfcomedy/status/1266679668603858946

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I've heard Hawaii is covered in feral chickens.