Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Why am I not surprised

From the way the car split in half so easily I'd guess it was one car hacked together with two wrecked cars. They probably learned how to do it from a Russian Youtube video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
That's a pretty good example of why your cage should tie through the firewall, isn't it?

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Seat Safety Switch posted:

That's a pretty good example of why your cage should tie through the firewall, isn't it?

If anything, it's an example of why your cage should not tie through it, surely? In a crash like that I would much prefer the cage keep its integrity and the rest of the car can gently caress off to wherever it wants.

I'm not actually sure whether the cage failed and let the driver out or if it was just that they weren't secured at all, though. I lean towards the latter.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

ArcMage posted:

I'm not actually sure whether the cage failed and let the driver out or if it was just that they weren't secured at all, though. I lean towards the latter.

Im leaning towards "PVC pipe's structural rigidity in an impact is not similar to the performance of DOM cromolly steel"

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Vacuum chat: my mom bought a Kirby in the 70s that I was using when I was old enough to heft its bulk around. When I finally got married and got a house, I bought a Kirby, since my mom's had only needed belts and bags for thirty years. They're cast aluminum now and have a 12-speed clutchless automatic transmission and they glide over the floor. Best part: the motor isn't in the vacuum airstream, so it's not getting jammed full of the stuff you're sucking out of the floor. I've got about ten years on mine, and it's only needed bags and belts in that time.

Actual content: Crew complaint "the cabin blower was making a noise, then stopped, now cabin air circ isn't as strong."

We found this when we pulled up the floor. One of the squirrel cage vanes was poking through the duct.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Ferremit posted:

Im leaning towards "PVC pipe's structural rigidity in an impact is not similar to the performance of DOM cromolly steel"

There is always the third option, yes.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

This thread sucks

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Vacuum chat: my mom bought a Kirby in the 70s that I was using when I was old enough to heft its bulk around. When I finally got married and got a house, I bought a Kirby, since my mom's had only needed belts and bags for thirty years. They're cast aluminum now and have a 12-speed clutchless automatic transmission and they glide over the floor. Best part: the motor isn't in the vacuum airstream, so it's not getting jammed full of the stuff you're sucking out of the floor. I've got about ten years on mine, and it's only needed bags and belts in that time.

We use a Kirby that my parents gave me. I remember when they bought it and I was in elementary school, so it's at least 25 years old. I buy bags for it and cut hair off the beater and that's about it for maintenence, still going strong. Every year I cut a dolls head worth of hair off of that thing. When I was a kid I remember it always was wrapped with leftover string from my mom's sewing. We don't vacuum nearly as much as we should so at this pace I'll never buy a vacuum. I recall now I had to splice the power cord because it broke at the handle from stress.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

We found this when we pulled up the floor. One of the squirrel cage vanes was poking through the duct.

LMAO that bulkhead connector costs more to make than the loving impeller :D

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

evil_bunnY posted:

LMAO that bulkhead connector costs more to make than the loving impeller :D

"Low weight impeller"

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

LifeSunDeath posted:

reminds me of mid-engine that have a tendency to split in half

but it happened in the front lol.

the difference is that this is purposeful and the other was uh, not

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

That is my understanding as well, mid and rear engined cars are designed to split the passenger compartments off in a crash. Makes more sense than getting an engine block in the arse when shunted.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Well that and it sheds a lot of kinetic energy too.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Plus you can make the occupant safety cage stronger and lighter since it is smaller.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

We have the newer Dyson Airblade hand dryers, the ones that are in the faucet. Not only do they blow the water off your hands, sometimes they blow it from the sink all over the place! Since the pandemic is on the motion sensor windows are covered up with electrical tape, but when they work and you stay dry they do dry your hands very quickly.

Kirby vacuums are great, I also inherited one that's about 20 years old now from the grandparents.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

Oddhair posted:

We have the newer Dyson Airblade hand dryers, the ones that are in the faucet.

These have to be one of the worst loving ideas ever.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

H2SO4 posted:

Surprisingly they feel like the best air dryers, except maybe for properly powerful old school hot air blowers. But they probably require a sink design where there won't be loose water on the air path. Still prefer the cloth towel roll models, whenever they aren't jammed. They should be kept unlocked so I can try fix them.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

They're cast aluminum now and have a 12-speed clutchless automatic transmission

What the gently caress does a vacuum need a 12 speed transmission for? Are you racing it?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

H2SO4 posted:

Took a vacation last year and I can't remember the state but they had these in the rest areas. Whoever designed the damned thing must have hands the size of a toddler.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

This is less "funny submission" and more "for gently caress's sake please go check your jack stands right now", but -

Harbor Freight Recalls Jack Stands That Could Suddenly Collapse

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
Pretty sure I've got four of them. Good times.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

cakesmith handyman posted:

What the gently caress does a vacuum need a 12 speed transmission for? Are you racing it?

Heh, it's easy to see who has been to the track and who hasn't

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Acid Reflux posted:

This is less "funny submission" and more "for gently caress's sake please go check your jack stands right now", but -

I have one. Ironically it was a replacement for another Pittsburgh jackstand that collapsed well under it's rated loading.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
People ask me why I don't change my own oil. It's a combination of laziness and fear, and knowing that I would end up buying the cheapest jackstands and probably die from it.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Just buy a vehicle that's high enough off the ground that you can change your own oil without lifting it.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Acid Reflux posted:

Welp I have a set of those holding the GP up right now :v:

Edit: nope mine are a later part number

BigPaddy fucked around with this message at 16:29 on May 20, 2020

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Acid Reflux posted:

I have a set that looks exactly like the grey 3 ton ones, but the number is different. I'll still probably buy new ones anyway though.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I had one rule there and it was don't buy things thdt could kill me when they fail. After enough time I wore down and bought jackstands and my buddy made fun of me, I use them often, but I think I'll take the easy lesson and get rid of them.

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

um excuse me posted:

I have one. Ironically it was a replacement for another Pittsburgh jackstand that collapsed well under it's rated loading.

:stonk:

This is why im the weirdo that has two jacks stands and also the jack still in place. That is my worst nightmare.

e:(also great username picture combo)

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
To be fair, the stand collapsed as I was lifting the opposite side. I was nowhere near under the car.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
This is why I bought nonHF stands that are rated at 4x my vehicles weight.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

... the Russians just used a pencil the wheels.

(I tend to go extra cautious with putting the wheels under as an added 'just in case' or using logs/stumps, primitive but it should work in the event of a stand failure)

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
I have two of those stands, thanks for posting this.

I only use it to hold my 400lb CB750 up when messing with forks :haw: but I’ll get them swapped out next weekend.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I can finally get :smug: about my Autozone set

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

bull3964 posted:

Door handles.

That, right there, is a huge mechanical failure in bathrooms. Public bathroom doors that cannot be operated with your foot (at least while exiting) should fail health code and be ripped out.

$WORKPLACE installed automatic restroom doors recently. I don’t think it was because of the pandemic, they started before that. They haven’t seen much use yet because most of us are working from home...

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

Door handles.

That, right there, is a huge mechanical failure in bathrooms. Public bathroom doors that cannot be operated with your foot (at least while exiting) should fail health code and be ripped out.

I visit an office building with a shared bathroom where you have to press a button and then pull a handle to get out

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I've got (not harbor freight but still Chinese) 6 ton stands for my little 2400lb hatchback since I don't trust the load ratings on Chinese parts. I also always use all 4 stands and jack the front and then the back (instead of one corner at a time) to keep things balanced.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Astonishing Wang posted:

I can finally get :smug: about my Autozone set

Cinder-blocks are p. much better than the hazard fraud set at this point.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I always put it on jack stands then put the jack right against the suspension crossmember or the rear diff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
A bung is definitely a recommended load bearing interface.