Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Funnily enough, the person who shared it frequently posts stuff about the mainstream media being untrustworthy. I know everyone will be more critical of stuff that doesn't align with their views but with some people it's like an on/off switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Walton Simons posted:

Funnily enough, the person who shared it frequently posts stuff about the mainstream media being untrustworthy. I know everyone will be more critical of stuff that doesn't align with their views but with some people it's like an on/off switch.

people who say things like "don't trust the mainstream media" and "do your own research" are usually just trying to assert the fact that they greatly dislike having their own biases and assumptions questioned, and that it is preferable for the world to just validate everything this person wanted to believe in anyway. like we're not exactly getting into the inherent problems of for-profit journalism or anything, it's as simple as "if observed reality conflicts with my inner emotional state, then observed reality must be wrong" level self-delusion

crowing about how common sensual you are and how everyone else is just a big lazy dum-dum is a very good tell that this person is in fact not some kind of astounding genius

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

luxury handset posted:

people who say things like "don't trust the mainstream media" and "do your own research" are usually just trying to assert the fact that they greatly dislike having their own biases and assumptions questioned, and that it is preferable for the world to just validate everything this person wanted to believe in anyway. like we're not exactly getting into the inherent problems of for-profit journalism or anything, it's as simple as "if observed reality conflicts with my inner emotional state, then observed reality must be wrong" level self-delusion

crowing about how common sensual you are and how everyone else is just a big lazy dum-dum is a very good tell that this person is in fact not some kind of astounding genius

Reminds me of something I watched/read a long time ago that people like to believe conspiracy theories because it makes them feel smarter than everyone else, like the know 'the truth' or 'the facts' better than other people and can't believe others haven't figured it out.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

All conspiracy theories sound crazy until they’re true

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Then they’re conspiracy facts

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

nexus6 posted:

Reminds me of something I watched/read a long time ago that people like to believe conspiracy theories because it makes them feel smarter than everyone else, like the know 'the truth' or 'the facts' better than other people and can't believe others haven't figured it out.

I read an Atlantic piece on those Q nutters and they all say 'Do your own research' when the writer actually asks them 'so, what makes Q trustworthy?'

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

oldpainless posted:

MKUltra is one of those things that makes you sound completely crazy if you talk about it but actually provably happened.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Walton Simons posted:

Maybe it's already been posted, but this steaming pile of horseshit appeared on my feed today, courtesy of a family friend with bad opinions:

Most of it the usual boomer stuff but the mention of the McDonalds Hot Coffee case has me raging, what Stella Liebeck went through was nasty was gently caress and to see it presented is 'she spilled some coffee on her and got lots of money for it, what a world!' has dampened my mood immensely.

Famed newspaper 'The London Times'

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Guilty posted:

Famed newspaper 'The London Times'

Maybe it's the Times, and they have to go by that name in the US, like how the band Suede was known as 'The London Suede' over here.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Ugly In The Morning posted:

MKUltra is one of those things that makes you sound completely crazy if you talk about it but actually provably happened.

Didn't it happen but it didn't find anything? People don't usually mention that part.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/sellursoulhere/status/1262118519208058885

When a buttcoiner finds a gooldd buuuggg...

Yuran M. Bazil
Jun 20, 2008

Walton Simons posted:

Maybe it's already been posted, but this steaming pile of horseshit appeared on my feed today, courtesy of a family friend with bad opinions:

Most of it the usual boomer stuff but the mention of the McDonalds Hot Coffee case has me raging, what Stella Liebeck went through was nasty was gently caress and to see it presented is 'she spilled some coffee on her and got lots of money for it, what a world!' has dampened my mood immensely.

Growing up in the UK that was like the prime example of the supposed culture of frivolous lawsuits in the US and it was only in the last few years I heard the real story, and that stupid post seems like it originated over here from some of the language used. Also given the state of our newspapers I could easily believe it actually was printed. (Although not in the "London Times" on account of that uhh not existing)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

According to Wikipedia "The London Times" is a generally used name for The Times outside of the UK.

That does not however mean I believe for a moment that it printed that "obituary", like wtf

a key feature of reputable news organs is that they have searchable archives and citable permalinks

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

nexus6 posted:

Didn't it happen but it didn't find anything? People don't usually mention that part.

You’re thinking of Project Blue Book, which was the aliens one. MKUltra was the CIA attempting mind control stuff, which did find out a lot of things. Little of it useful. Most of it was “if you dose people with LSD without their knowledge for weeks on end, they may jump out windows”.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
there's a lot of really loving wild conspiracies in the world

the difference is that a conspiracy is asserting that something did happen which was a secret (the CIA tortured american citizens in an attempt to figure out how to brainwash people) where a conspiracy theory is asserting that something which is not a secret did not happen and that there is some secret cause (no children died at sandy hook, everyone involved was a paid actor) so you're essentially trying to prove a negative which is impossible, and so then anything goes you can just make up any poo poo you want to since there's no way to validate or confirm facts

this is another reason conspiracy theories are attractive to people who want to have knowledge, there's no barrier to clear for acquisition of this knowledge, no testing, no difficulty of finding information. you can "do your research" in 15 minutes or 15 hours, it depends on how long you want to spend watching insane youtube videos or clicking around google. you don't need to do any actual archival or empirical research, you can just read a blog somewhere and declare your literature review complete. this is very handy when you need to convince yourself that you are well learned but don't have a lot of time or inclination to invest in your understanding

Mr. Fall Down Terror has a new favorite as of 15:38 on May 18, 2020

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Data Graham posted:

According to Wikipedia "The London Times" is a generally used name for The Times outside of the UK.

That does not however mean I believe for a moment that it printed that "obituary", like wtf

Huh, never knew this. It's just called the Times here, in London, where the headquarters are. There's no such thing as the London Times here. Crazy.

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009

What, you never heard of beer goggles?

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Guilty posted:

Huh, never knew this. It's just called the Times here, in London, where the headquarters are. There's no such thing as the London Times here. Crazy.

At least here in the US there are several papers called the Times. New York, Los Angeles, others.

I think the "correct" style when you need to distinguish is The Times of London or the London Times but I'm no editor.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Walton Simons posted:

The thing I don't get is... doesn't this 'Common Sense' thing go both ways? A six-year old is more than old enough to know not to touch others without permission. A teenager is old more than enough to follow school policies, which presumably do not allow them to have alcohol of any kind at school. Anyone pursuing a teaching career should be able to take five minutes to review the rules and regulations of a job they applied for, and they should not have taken that job if they were unable or unwilling to follow the institution's disciplinary policies.

And... yes? A school should need permission to administer drugs of any kind to students. Wouldn't it be 'Common Sense' that tells us that even seemingly innocuous combinations of medication can result in poisoning and death? Why should schools be allowed to violate HIPAA? (HIPPA?) Should your doctor be allowed to discuss your pre-existing conditions with say, your employers or potential employers? Wouldn't you consider that a serious breach of trust and privacy? In one breath, they lament the death of 'Trust' and 'Discretion' while screaming that they can't reveal private medical information a few sentences earlier.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

nexus6 posted:

The CIA said it didn't find anything

MizPiz has a new favorite as of 16:22 on May 18, 2020

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

GreenMetalSun posted:

The thing I don't get is... doesn't this 'Common Sense' thing go both ways? A six-year old is more than old enough to know not to touch others without permission.

people say "common sense" when they're trying to justify some gut reaction, as if there's an objective authority that can be appealed to for why all these goofy people are doing obviously dumb things

i looked up the 6yo thing and it turns out the kid had a history of trying to kiss this one specific girl in his class. the school changed the infraction from sexual harassment to generic misconduct but still, the kid's behavior was worthy of intervention and punishment. the 'common sense' thing would be to perpetuate the status quo and tell the little girl to toughen up and deal with all this unwanted attention, because it is more important to allow boys to spread their unwanted affections rather than tell them to keep their hands to themselves

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If you know anyone who rattles out the McDonalds lawsuit was overblown thing, it is your civic duty to change their phone and computer backgrounds to the photos of those ladies injuries. It won't be an issue for them to look at them every day, afterall.

Don't google these if you're eating lunch.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

MizPiz posted:

And they are a bunch of lying liars who lie, but then again there is a giant pile of dumb as gently caress experiments perpetrated by government agencies that lead to absolute bupkis. I choose to go with the third option- they totally found something but whatever it was was so embarrassing that they'd rather say they failed and deal with everyone thinking they're totally useless/have mind control drugs.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

GreenMetalSun posted:

The thing I don't get is... doesn't this 'Common Sense' thing go both ways? A six-year old is more than old enough to know not to touch others without permission. A teenager is old more than enough to follow school policies, which presumably do not allow them to have alcohol of any kind at school. Anyone pursuing a teaching career should be able to take five minutes to review the rules and regulations of a job they applied for, and they should not have taken that job if they were unable or unwilling to follow the institution's disciplinary policies.

And... yes? A school should need permission to administer drugs of any kind to students. Wouldn't it be 'Common Sense' that tells us that even seemingly innocuous combinations of medication can result in poisoning and death? Why should schools be allowed to violate HIPAA? (HIPPA?) Should your doctor be allowed to discuss your pre-existing conditions with say, your employers or potential employers? Wouldn't you consider that a serious breach of trust and privacy? In one breath, they lament the death of 'Trust' and 'Discretion' while screaming that they can't reveal private medical information a few sentences earlier.

This is one of those many, many times where you're thinking harder than the author.

It means you're wasting your time, this isn't meant to appeal to reason, it's meant to confirm biases.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

MizPiz posted:

CIA: We didn't find anything.

Everyone in unison: They didn't find anything.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Since we’re on the subject of weird CIA poo poo just want to give a shoutout to my old friend Operation Acoustic Kitty

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/cal_gif/status/1262143858038779906?s=21

https://twitter.com/phillphantastic/status/1262292275805085696?s=21

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

there wolf posted:

And they are a bunch of lying liars who lie, but then again there is a giant pile of dumb as gently caress experiments perpetrated by government agencies that lead to absolute bupkis. I choose to go with the third option- they totally found something but whatever it was was so embarrassing that they'd rather say they failed and deal with everyone thinking they're totally useless/have mind control drugs.
Yeah the thing is it's not crazy to think the government will try to do weird unethical things, where it veers into conspiracy theory fantasy land is the idea they succeeded and are so successful that there's a whole hyper-efficient shadow-government and only tHe EnLiGhTeNeD know about THEM. It's basically the difference between 'man the government has provably done unethical experiements both on civilians and enlisted personnel and that probably hasn't stopped so we'll be learning about weird poo poo in 50 years' and 'and that's why the government faked the moon, also the Olsen twins are mind-controlled experiment children'

Yuran M. Bazil
Jun 20, 2008

Data Graham posted:

a key feature of reputable news organs is that they have searchable archives and citable permalinks

I more meant it's the kind of stupid boomer poo poo that could easily be an opinion column, maybe not in the Times but definitely the Mail, than I literally believe its straight from a national newspaper.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
nextdoor sucks and i hate my neighbors.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Yuran M. Bazil posted:

I more meant it's the kind of stupid boomer poo poo that could easily be an opinion column, maybe not in the Times but definitely the Mail, than I literally believe its straight from a national newspaper.

Counterpoint: have you read op eds?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Sestze posted:

nextdoor sucks and i hate my neighbors.

does nextdoor require any real personal information

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Takoluka posted:

does nextdoor require any real personal information

They send you a post card through the mail for verification, but they don't have to know your real name. There's also a way of using a phone number to validate yourself but I don't know how that one works.

sugar mouse
Oct 17, 2006

More from sasquatch dude. Sadly, this is the limit as the rest of his Facebook posts are just sharing YouTube videos.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

There are so many fascinating things to actually research and learn about

We have more access to information than ever in history and to an absolutely insane level of detail and credibility

But nooooo, "jesuits"

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

oldpainless posted:

:actually: they're conspiracy theories after they've been well substantiated. Before that they're just conspiracy hypothesis.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

sugar mouse posted:

More from sasquatch dude. Sadly, this is the limit as the rest of his Facebook posts are just sharing YouTube videos.

You still haven't said if he's white or not. The crowd is getting restless.

Technocrat
Jan 30, 2011

I always finish what I sta
Operation Gladio was a hilarious situation that you can watch turn from conspiracy theory to provable fact in the comments/logs of its Wikipedia article.

Essentially, it was a plan by NATO to arm far-right groups in European countries, so that in the event of an invasion by the USSR, there would be pre-existing guerrillas behind the lines with caches of weapons. Unfortunately, and unsurprisingly, giving guns to far right groups leads them to actually use them for terrorist goals.

Until 2006, this was dismissed as a paranoid conspiracy, but after the Italian and Belgian governments confirmed that it was a thing, the article talk page takes on a different tone.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Same thing for most of the US regime changing. Though that’s dismissed as conspiracies for political reasons rather than actual skepticism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Technocrat posted:

Operation Gladio was a hilarious situation that you can watch turn from conspiracy theory to provable fact in the comments/logs of its Wikipedia article.

Essentially, it was a plan by NATO to arm far-right groups in European countries, so that in the event of an invasion by the USSR, there would be pre-existing guerrillas behind the lines with caches of weapons. Unfortunately, and unsurprisingly, giving guns to far right groups leads them to actually use them for terrorist goals.

Until 2006, this was dismissed as a paranoid conspiracy, but after the Italian and Belgian governments confirmed that it was a thing, the article talk page takes on a different tone.

I hope they point out that it's, uh, exactly what we did in Afghanistan too. With hilarious results!