Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

What are the top 2 or 3 ammos to craft for selling (once this got dang roni stops and they open up retail again)? I've got 40 levels worth of lead and gunpowder I haven't used because i whack everything with a hammer.

Also what happens if you sign up for 1st and then drop it later does all your scrap just cease to exist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

huhwhat
Apr 22, 2010

by sebmojo
Met my invincible dog outside Slocum Joe's near The Wayward. It had other level 1 doggy friends that I managed to kill :shrug:.

Only cryptids I met so far was the Grafton monster and snallygasters on the golf course up north. I was creeping up on the Grafton monser for sneak attack bonuses but then it ran off and fought 2 snallygasters instead, so I waited until they wore each other down before finishing them off. Small dynamic moments like this makes FO76 shine.

Minor gripe:

I know I can turn quest text off but lol that it's the default and they didn't bother fading away the text near important UI elements like AP, hunger and thirst meters.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

People are talking about the mechanics and progression in this game instead of just jokes. Does that mean it's actually worth checking out now?

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Pryor on Fire posted:

People are talking about the mechanics and progression in this game instead of just jokes. Does that mean it's actually worth checking out now?

Having given the free play a few hours of honest attempts to find fun I'll tell you that I find it amazing that every part of the game is worse than I could have ever imagined. It's truly inspiring how bad the mechanics are, that they straight up use the terrible inventory interface from FO4 and then make it worse, and I'm floored thinking how bad it must have been before the big update that 'fixed' so much.

My internet is free and I still want them to refund me the bandwidth.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
The big update that fixed so much really didn't fix anything except now you have some more story content.There's still launch era bugs. Fallout 4 launch era.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Morglon posted:

The big update that fixed so much really didn't fix anything except now you have some more story content.There's still launch era bugs. Fallout 4 launch era.

I'm pretty sure they rolled back to the Morrowind combat engine because that's their last game I recall where the (extremely terrible and janky) melee animations had two RNG elements: a first roll to determine if the axe you just hit someone in the head with according to the animations actually made contact, and another to determine if it did any damage if it did hit. It's impressive how bad they made it.

Even the base building element is terrible. They didn't do anything to make the UI better. Oh also did you build something cool and then foolishly log off? Haha well gently caress you buddy find another server somebody is in your spot. And I'm guessing taking over and building up the resource workshops uses the same mechanics, so it seems like you can invest a ton of resources to make a sweet workshop but if you log off it's all deleted. Like, what the gently caress?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Pryor on Fire posted:

Did you like Fallout 4?

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

It's worth playing during a free weekend to compare your expectations with the actual game. Even after the "hey they improved the game" vibe that's come with Wastelanders, it's still bad in many unfathomable ways. It's hard to recommend unless you loved Fallout 4 so much that you've already played through all its DLC's and mod content and you still want to play more Fallout 4 content, even if it's via an inferior version of the game.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Mr Hootington posted:

Did you like Fallout 4?

Actually I didn't really like Fallout 4 and found it pretty bad compared 3 and New Vegas, but I'm enjoying Fallout 76 a great deal. I find the quests, both old and new ones, more interesting, and the exploration/world design much better. I'm not a lore fanatic though, I enjoyed Fallout 2 in all its wacky glory so :shrug:

Of course it has faults, even some big ones. But all considered I've played many worse games.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

TorakFade posted:

But all considered I've played many worse games.

And they all ended up in a deep hole in New Mexico. Weird.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
My brother can't play with his friends anymore because he doesn't show up on their in game social feeds when online.

Anybody heard of this bug, or how to fix it?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Trip report: I played a little bit during the free weekend, and my takeaway is basically that it's a decent enough way to kill some time, but I wouldn't say it's an actual good game. Since I never played before Wastelanders I can't compare the two experiences, but I can only imagine the world felt empty and lifeless as hell before it, whereas now it seemed basically fine in terms of world and questing. The UI is loving dogshit though, and seems inexcusable for 2020.

I probably won't buy at the moment mostly because I'm more excited about other games right now, and because my financial security isn't strong enough at the moment to pick it up just for the hell of it, but if a friend wanted to play it co-op or if I hear about future updates that continue to improve the game I'd still be open to getting it later.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Sinteres posted:

Trip report: I played a little bit during the free weekend, and my takeaway is basically that it's a decent enough way to kill some time, but I wouldn't say it's an actual good game.
It may not be a "good" game but I found it fun and put a lot of time into it. There's plenty of "good" games that bore me, but I'd rather have play a flawed one that holds my attention.

Pretty much my only real pain point is the lack of custom keybind options, and the inability to un-bind the scroll wheel from bringing up favorites. I ranted about it here before and I'm probably just going to switch to a controller unless they ever patch it.

Roman fucked around with this message at 00:24 on May 18, 2020

huhwhat
Apr 22, 2010

by sebmojo
I enjoyed my time in FO4 and I'm used to Bethesda's abuse so FO76 is alright for me. I won't be buying it once the free weekend ends tho. I figure the novelty of exploring a new locale will wear off pretty fast. Starting to feel it already tbh.

Dogshit UI is a valid complaint. I've tried sorting my "aid" items by "spoil" but it either doesn't work at all or doesn't work as I expect it to. Still have to scroll rapidly down the entire list of food and drinks and try to catch items with low CND. So much of this game's story is told through text that it's best not to pick up all the notes everyone's been leaving around everywhere if you want to avoid scrolling hell.

Also I'm not a fan of the survival mode lite. Fast traveling and moving camp being tied to caps is annoying considering how much stuff you have to haul to grind down for components and how far away from the fast travel points the game deposits you. I've already been a good little boy and scrapping stuff at every workbench I encounter but it's still not enough as material are not weightless. Maybe people used to grinding in MMOs won't mind.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Rinkles posted:

My brother can't play with his friends anymore because he doesn't show up on their in game social feeds when online.

Anybody heard of this bug, or how to fix it?

Try using the one from the main menu, the social thing is still ten kinds of hosed but sometimes that one works better.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Discospawn posted:

It's worth playing during a free weekend to compare your expectations with the actual game. Even after the "hey they improved the game" vibe that's come with Wastelanders, it's still bad in many unfathomable ways. It's hard to recommend unless you loved Fallout 4 so much that you've already played through all its DLC's and mod content and you still want to play more Fallout 4 content, even if it's via an inferior version of the game.

I agree that fallout 4 is the inferior game. Good thing we never have to save our son again.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

But what about Fallout 4's great protagonist voicing?

1: Yes
2: Yes
3: Yes (sarcastic)
4: No (but actually yes)

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Tenzarin posted:

I agree that fallout 4 is the inferior game. Good thing we never have to save our son again.
This is why I liked New Vegas and F76 over the other 3D Fallouts. I don't want to be a teenage kid (who still has old person options in the character creator for some reason) looking for their dad, or a parent looking for their kid. I want to be a nobody doing whatever the hell I want and make up my own story.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Roman posted:

This is why I liked New Vegas and F76 over the other 3D Fallouts. I don't want to be a teenage kid (who still has old person options in the character creator for some reason) looking for their dad, or a parent looking for their kid. I want to be a nobody doing whatever the hell I want and make up my own story.

I think the big problem is that Bethesda thinks an RPG means the player plays a specific role that is forced on them.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I replay Fallout 4 a lot, and I always just ignore my kid and avoid any "Shaun!" dialogue options.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Does FO4 PC have an alternate roleplay start mod like FO3 and NV have?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Floppychop posted:

I think the big problem is that Bethesda thinks an RPG means the player plays a specific role that is forced on them.

Yeah they've found a weird in between spot where you don't get the benefits of having a premade character with a personality they can build around like Geralt (or even Assassin's Creed protagonists if that's an unfair comparison), while still trying to stick you with your character's baggage you may just not give a poo poo about.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 03:07 on May 18, 2020

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

NikkolasKing posted:

Does FO4 PC have an alternate roleplay start mod like FO3 and NV have?

A cursory search on Nexus would show that yes, it absolutely does

Here's the FO4 mod thread

Have fun~

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Chamale posted:

I replay Fallout 4 a lot, and I always just ignore my kid and avoid any "Shaun!" dialogue options.

But then you never get the best companion (Nick) or get to see vertibirds crashing every 300 feet :confused:

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

If I want to get into Wastelanders will any cheap xbox code for Fallout 76 do? I am seeing Wastelanders as a store item for $60 and a seperate one for 76 and can't figure out what the deal is.

Orv
May 4, 2011

cr0y posted:

If I want to get into Wastelanders will any cheap xbox code for Fallout 76 do? I am seeing Wastelanders as a store item for $60 and a seperate one for 76 and can't figure out what the deal is.

That is presumably the "Wastelanders Edition" which is just the game - all the content including Wastelanders so far has been free - plus several cosmetics packs, like it is on PC. Base is the whole game so far.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Sinteres posted:

Yeah they've found a weird in between spot where you don't get the benefits of having a premade character with a personality they can build around like Geralt (or even Assassin's Creed protagonists if that's an unfair comparison), while still trying to stick you with your character's baggage you may just not give a poo poo about.
They at least sometimes let you roll with ignoring things--I remember being immediately turned off by both sides in the Skyrim civil war, and I ran that game into the ground and beat it despite having literally never so much as aided either side in a fruit delivery mission. Though that you can ignore the supposedly biggest non-you-specific thing going on in the game might not be a good thing, depending.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Last night I remembered the one thing I really didn't like about the main story. The entire portion of Rose's quests during the main story. It just turns into a slog.

Now I am past it and can do the much more interesting free states and swamp portion.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Lightningproof posted:

Weirdly almost feels off-topic to post about old Fallouts in the Fallout thread, but hey. Just finished Fallout 2 for the first time on a uni laptop and -- for everything I've heard about it being the best of the old Fallouts -- it sure was kind of gratingly puerile and ~~~edgy~~~ at times. Definitely enjoyed it overall, though. If they ever crank out a remaster, a smarter way to manage your party and its inventory would rule.

Did you play it with Killap's Fallout 2 Restoration Project?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I liked FO4. :(

The 2x XP weekend finally got me over the LVL 25 hump and I can use real weapons. Also I got a suppressor for my hunting rifle and now I'm like the night.

AND I finally found a loving hazmat suit. It was a blue ribbon weekend.

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

Bofast posted:

Did you play it with Killap's Fallout 2 Restoration Project?

Nope, just the fixes-only unofficial patch. Never really liked mods that restore cut content; there's usually a reason it's cut.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Folks, the flamer is an acceptable shotgun replacement.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Lightningproof posted:

Nope, just the fixes-only unofficial patch. Never really liked mods that restore cut content; there's usually a reason it's cut.

That's cool, too :)

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl

Krispy Wafer posted:

I liked FO4. :(

The 2x XP weekend finally got me over the LVL 25 hump and I can use real weapons. Also I got a suppressor for my hunting rifle and now I'm like the night.

AND I finally found a loving hazmat suit. It was a blue ribbon weekend.

Just wait until you get the chinese stealth armor :)
Chameleon effect while sneaking (even while moving) and 1000 rad resist

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Mr Hootington posted:

Folks, the flamer is an acceptable shotgun replacement.
creating ammo for it is a total pain in the rear end tho

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Pryor on Fire posted:

One of the quests is a straight DMV (department of motor vehicles) and it takes forever. It's not funny

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Kalessin ofSelidor posted:

Just wait until you get the chinese stealth armor :)
Chameleon effect while sneaking (even while moving) and 1000 rad resist

I loooove the stealth armor, but I'm used to aiming with dot reflex sight on my not-sniping guns... and the dot becomes invisible too :mad:

besides the stealth armor I also have a "normal" armor set from when poo poo hits the fan (the stealth armor is decent protection but can't really match a proper set of upgraded BOS combat armor or better), with one legendary chameleon piece so I basically have the same problem whenever I'm not moving. That's pretty dumb and I'm not even sure if the chameleon effects has any effects on (AI-controlled) enemies :v:

BTW am I right in thinking that the tadpole quest is a horrible grind and ideally I don't want anything to do with it? I play 99% solo, only participating in events from time to time, and I see it will be VERY difficult to get the Kindness: revive someone objective done, nevermind the million challenges

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

One of the quests is a straight DMV (department of motor vehicles) and it takes forever. It's not funny

I love in that quest how the robots have mandatory coffee breaks.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

TorakFade posted:

BTW am I right in thinking that the tadpole quest is a horrible grind and ideally I don't want anything to do with it? I play 99% solo, only participating in events from time to time, and I see it will be VERY difficult to get the Kindness: revive someone objective done, nevermind the million challenges
it's not that bad if you do the right ones, and look up exam answers if you have to. for the revive just join a higher level event and hope someone is downed. or meet up with a goon and have them jump off a cliff or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

I just started playing this a week or so ago, I don't have much to say that hasn't been said before other than I think this game is very mediocre, but despite that, I still like it. I do however have to say I utterly hate the perk based card system, especially how all the damage cards are focused on specific weapons instead of play-styles; the game would be much better off if they changed the damage cards to be guns, energy, explosion, etc., so that players could reliable use a much wider range of weapons without gimping themselves, especially considering how much of a grind and annoying it is to respec.