Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I got drunk and tried out WoW again last night. I put on Aliens in the background because that's what I do all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

For some reason I never bothered to see Avatar, worth checking out still? (anyone that can remember, haha)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It’s ok?

I don’t hate it but it’s forgettable.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

SilvergunSuperman posted:

For some reason I never bothered to see Avatar, worth checking out still? (anyone that can remember, haha)

I remember liking it but not one person who's seen it can tell you a god damned thing about it either way beyond "the effects were pretty cool". At least in my experience.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!
Only thing I remember from Avatar is that they have sex with the same appendage that they used to hook up to and control their 6 footed horses and dinobirds.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I thought Avatar was ok. Nothing special but as was mentioned the fantastical world and effects were pretty neat.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Avatar was a perfectly fine movie, it was enjoyable and lovely to look at. It tends to get a bit more hate than it deserves, not mind blowing but not worth the hate either.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I remember thoroughly enjoying the times I did watch it, but it doesn't do anything new outside of very pretty effects and a couple of semi creative science fantasy ideas. It's outstandingly solid. Helps if you're stoned and watching on IMAX, but failing in that it's still worth watching imo.

But yeah, zero cultural impact.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
The Avatar videogame was dope as hell

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I was reminded of it because of watching this video.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Riatsala posted:

I remember thoroughly enjoying the times I did watch it, but it doesn't do anything new outside of very pretty effects and a couple of semi creative science fantasy ideas. It's outstandingly solid. Helps if you're stoned and watching on IMAX, but failing in that it's still worth watching imo.

But yeah, zero cultural impact.

I’d say the cultural impact would be the 3D movie craze, which is yet to die even after a decade.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
The last 3D movie I saw was Captain EO at Disney World when 3D was still a fad back then.

I had zero desire to see a modern one and I've gone to a movie that was playing both 3D and regular and I chose the regular.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
The weirdest thing about Avatar is that most everyone seemed to like it well enough but I swear to god no one can tell you one single thing they remember about it.

I can't recall a film that made that much money and that so many people saw that doesn't resonate within popular culture, Disney parks and all that not withstanding.

I'm totally serious.

No one can tell anyone else one single thing about that movie, quote it, make a meme about it or offer up any memorable scene from it and gently caress if I know why for a movie that raked in so much cash. I think it had something to do with being the first big real 3D experience that we all now consider to be passe, but I have a hard time chalking up the total memory loss surrounding it entirely up to that single novelty.

And drat if I know why we need 3 or 4 sequels to it.

I remember scenes from JAWS, Taxi Driver, Clockwork Orange, Goodfellas and a bunch of poo poo but I'll be damned if I can cite something from Avatar that resonates in pulp culture on any level. Not ONE THING. Really odd how such a big money maker has been so memory holed.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
I can quote tons of poo poo about that movie
The resource the humans were there for was called 'unobtainium' and buried beneath the 'world tree' the Na'vi (blue skinned aliens) worshipped. Their entire ecosystem was based on this tree granting them heightened empathy for the planet, share memories, interface with wildlife etc.
The main human character was named Jake, was in a wheelchair
"If you're the biggest guy in the sky, why would you ever look up"
Badass exoskeleton robot suits
Uhhh Letty from fast and furious was in it
Why such blanket statements 'NO ONE can quote ANYTHING'?
E: "I see you"

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Papyrus.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

The humans have molecular acid for blood and the blue skin aliens get slaughtered left and right?

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Binary Badger posted:

The humans have molecular acid for blood and the blue skin aliens get slaughtered left and right?

Yes?

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Sjs00 posted:

The Avatar videogame was dope as hell

This where I learned there is an alien plant called the Baja Tickler

One other thing I remember of the film is that afterwards lots of people became depressed that they would never get to go to Pandora

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Why would anyone want to go to pandora tho? What a shithole.

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

I always thought it was funny that Cameron went so far out of his way to demonize the military industrial complex in that movie and no one discussed it.

(They deserve demonizing)

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Obligatory https://youtu.be/jVhlJNJopOQ

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Avatar was cool to see in the theater because of the 3D. The fact it looked like instead of looking at a screen you were looking through a window was :aaaaa: is one of the prime reasons it did well at the box office: it was a feat that couldn't easily be replicated at home.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Of course there's now Alien facehugger cloth facemasks.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Thinkin bout Aliens since my group wants me to do an ALIEN RPG game this weekend

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Phi230 posted:

Thinkin bout Aliens since my group wants me to do an ALIEN RPG game this weekend

:nice:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

I would buy one if it actually covered your face properly. Not over the eyes, obviously, but the whole thing should be face hugger, not part of it.
The legs should be part of the elastic straps, and make the tail longer so you can wrap it around your head.

https://vanyaland.com/2020/04/15/lady-frankensteins-alien-facehugger-coronavirus-mask-is-hitting-ebay/

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Need a horror movie where alien parasites are puppeteering people through their mouths but everyone assumes they're just a chic new mask style

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

happyhippy posted:

I would buy one if it actually covered your face properly. Not over the eyes, obviously, but the whole thing should be face hugger, not part of it.
The legs should be part of the elastic straps, and make the tail longer so you can wrap it around your head.

https://vanyaland.com/2020/04/15/lady-frankensteins-alien-facehugger-coronavirus-mask-is-hitting-ebay/

Yeah, that's definitely a cooler design.

I do like that the link I posted allows you to upload your own image. I'm totally pulling a Denny Hamlin & putting my own face on a mask, so I can wear a face on my own face.

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

Thought about Aliens real hard today. Bought the Alien RPG.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

the_enduser posted:

Thought about Aliens real hard today. Bought the Alien RPG.

That's a good result of thinking 'bout Aliens.

We should set up a game again. It's pretty fun. I take donations of valium.

DrOnline
Oct 21, 2007
Its probably popped up a few times in this thread but just finally finished Alien Isolation after bouncing off it a few times. The key was realizing I would never run out of pipe bombs/ flamethrower fuel. About to read Gibsons Alien 3. Going full Alien during quarantine!

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Went to see Avatar as like a family movie night and we went to buy tickets and the person was like, theater 8, it just started. So we go to theater 8 and we sit down and I'm like, woah this is... pretty dramatic and there's a lot of action right off the bat, seems very climactic. And we watch a little more and I'm like, uhh I think this is the END of the movie. Sure enough, we go into the other theater where it's playing and it was like, 10 minutes in. Thanks ticket lady.

Gnome de plume posted:

This where I learned there is an alien plant called the Baja Tickler

One other thing I remember of the film is that afterwards lots of people became depressed that they would never get to go to Pandora

Mods please change my username to The Baja Tickler please

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Plz state the nature of the medical emergency
I read this whole god damned thread and it was sensational. Thanks everyone.

I thought about Aliens today so I ordered Predator, Alien and Aliens on blu ray.

:hellyeah:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
That's awesome.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Android Apocalypse posted:

Avatar was cool to see in the theater because of the 3D. The fact it looked like instead of looking at a screen you were looking through a window was :aaaaa: is one of the prime reasons it did well at the box office: it was a feat that couldn't easily be replicated at home.

Say what you will about the story and characters, but the in-theater experience for Avatar was unprecedented. I was swatting things away from my face in most of the forest scenes, and the flying action in the big finale was more real than anything I've ever scene. it's kind of sad that this amazingly beautiful tech demo also had a good story about corporate shenanigans to tell, and nobody noticed because the 3D effects were so loving good. Everything about it, look, feel, tone, style, message, whatever says the movie should be on the same level as T1, Predator2, and at least Alien 3. But it isn't and that's just odd.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I truly suspect that Avatar isn't as much of a touchstone as Cameron's other films because it's not as rewatchable at home compared to when you're in the theater.

One of my childhood friends actually splurged on a 3D TV when they came out and watching Avatar on it was the closest I got to remembering the thrill of seeing it in the theater.

Meanwhile, I could watch Aliens or even Titanic on my TV at home and still feel like I'm not missing anything.

To be fair, Alfonso Cuarón's Gravity also suffers from this. That movie was a roller coaster seeing it in the theater, so watching it at home felt... diminished.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I’m not sure that accounts for the fact that, from memory alone, I could recap Aliens to you scene by scene, including most of the dialogue, and fair impressions of the actors. And know the names of all the characters, and probably be able to draw a comprehensible map of the area the action takes place. Whereas Avatar has a guy called Jake in a wheelchair, blue people, and the villain has a mech suit, and that’s about all I remember (or care to remember).

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Android Apocalypse posted:

I truly suspect that Avatar isn't as much of a touchstone as Cameron's other films because it's not as rewatchable at home compared to when you're in the theater.

One of my childhood friends actually splurged on a 3D TV when they came out and watching Avatar on it was the closest I got to remembering the thrill of seeing it in the theater.

Meanwhile, I could watch Aliens or even Titanic on my TV at home and still feel like I'm not missing anything.

To be fair, Alfonso Cuarón's Gravity also suffers from this. That movie was a roller coaster seeing it in the theater, so watching it at home felt... diminished.
Also the story and characters are not very good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

As stated above, yes, that's exactly why Avatar got memory holed so bad- it was an EVENT. The story was a flimsy excuse to hang all these images and effects from. It was, in my memory, a very pretty movie and I don't regret seeing it on the big screen. Now would I ever be bothered to catch it on the TV? Nope.

It doesn't have a lot of replay value because the story and characters were flat, but it made bajillion at the box office because it was "you've got to EXPERIENCE it on the big screen!" rather than anything plot or theme related.

One of the reasons real classics (such as the film this thread is dedicated to) stick in your mind is because you or a friend will re watch them at home, on TV or VHS/DVD/Blue-ray (depending on the era) or these days streaming and bring it up in conversation- which keeps it fresh in the collective memory. With Avatar nobody did that because there wasn't much point.

Animal Friend fucked around with this message at 15:42 on May 26, 2020