Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The Ape of Naples posted:

I do like Big Dawg being so high up. But yeah, that list order isn't great. It did remind me of some older eps I need to check out, though.

I think it might've been Vulture who ordered the I Think You Should Leave sketches that had me scratching my head (opening sketch of the first episode is amazing, and they listed it last), but I guess it was nice that some people loved the things I didn't care so much about. drat that show is so good.

e: I lie, it was AV Club.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
If your list's top 10 doesn't include a single Andy Daly character (let alone 10 like any decent list would :colbert: ) then I gotta dismiss the whole thing right out of hand.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Though I'll get flak but I think Tiny/Victor should be one shared rank.
E: and not even a passing mention of "Hey Nong Man?" I just think Jason got shafted. He/Jeff should have been higher.

RoyKeen fucked around with this message at 19:42 on May 8, 2020

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

No mention of Chuckie Spliff or Dreama Peaches, but rank Margie Donk instead? Mary Holland deserved better.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

ArtVandelay posted:

No mention of Chuckie Spliff or Dreama Peaches, but rank Margie Donk instead? Mary Holland deserved better.

They also characterized Janice Cramps' introduction as screaming "I'm pregnant!" which is the literal opposite of how she enters the show. So bad. I'm friggin triggered.

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 06:55 on May 9, 2020

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
Eatin ain't cheatin'

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

EL BROMANCE posted:

I think it might've been Vulture who ordered the I Think You Should Leave sketches that had me scratching my head (opening sketch of the first episode is amazing, and they listed it last), but I guess it was nice that some people loved the things I didn't care so much about. drat that show is so good.

e: I lie, it was AV Club.

That first ITYSL sketch is like the entire thesis of the show in one sketch, ranking it last is crazy

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Really solid episode today. Alimony Tony isn't my favorite PFT but he's still a PFT (and I do like that he originated from an off the cuff embrace of a catchphrase submission). Rhys Darby and Matt Apodaca were both great. And the new plug bag theme made me laugh.

For those who didn't listen, also some bad news, the CBB TV show will be leaving Netflix on June 2.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I like how fast Darby is, making me question if the stuff he was talking about was real or a gag to begin with. The Darby Double!

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Chairman Capone posted:

For those who didn't listen, also some bad news, the CBB TV show will be leaving Netflix on June 2.

make sure you watch this now or I will regret it for the rest of your life.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

piratepilates posted:

make sure you watch this now or I will regret it for the rest of your life.

If they ever put it on Netflix internationally I would :argh:

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Bob Ducca shows up at around the 45 minute mark. I skipped forward after David Spade started talking about his golfing trip.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Bob Ducca was on last week's improv4humans, too.

Think I'm going to skip this CBB. Just no interest to hear David Spade promote a movie which by every review I read is abysmal. I feel bad for Lauren Lapkus having to promote something that I'm sure she knows is poo poo but is also probably her highest-profile gig, outside of Jurassic World.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Chairman Capone posted:

Bob Ducca was on last week's improv4humans, too.

Think I'm going to skip this CBB. Just no interest to hear David Spade promote a movie which by every review I read is abysmal. I feel bad for Lauren Lapkus having to promote something that I'm sure she knows is poo poo but is also probably her highest-profile gig, outside of Jurassic World.

I dunno. Maybe she was just in promotion mode but she was on High and Mighty and was really talking it up. She's a big David Spade fan. But I can never tell if other comedians are really into people like Spade and Sandler or just don't want to say anything bad for business.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
She got to work with some of her comedy heroes, she was 2nd billed, she had a good time doing it by every account, got a paid vacation out of it, and it is probably a guaranteed hit due to a modest budget plus how popular Happy Madison films are, especially on Netflix. She's on a billboard in Time Square. I'm sure she's fine.

I dunno. Maybe she was just in promotion mode but she was on High and Mighty and was really talking it up. She's a big David Spade fan. But I can never tell if other comedians are really into people like Spade and Sandler or just don't want to say anything bad for business.

I think it's a bit of both. Sandler and Co were really fundamental for that generation of comedians. I get it. My indie theater showed old Sandler comedy routines as a pre-show to Uncut Gems and it was still pretty funny. But yeah, Hollywood is a small town; Gabrus and his group aren't going to talk poo poo about the highest paid comedic actors who make a bunch of movies every year for Netflix, whether they like the movie or not.

They save that for the Shadow Wolves.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 14:23 on May 18, 2020

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Also the movie script is super lazy but Lapkus is still hilarious in the movie. The movie suffers when they inevitably have a period where she’s absent.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

mlmp08 posted:

Also the movie script is super lazy but Lapkus is still hilarious in the movie. The movie suffers when they inevitably have a period where she’s absent.

Yeah, I only saw the trailer but it seemed like she was a fun character.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
She's amazing in it. You don't see a lot of women going for physical comedy, I guess Melissa McCarthy...

Anyway, Lauren killed it, Hellstar is amazing, I laughed a lot! I encourage you to see it if you are a fan of Lauren's. She worked hard and and she showcases her many talents.

Reviews can be helpful, but when it's a broad comedy, maybe just shut your brain off and enjoy yourself?

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Waterbed Wendy posted:

She's amazing in it. You don't see a lot of women going for physical comedy, I guess Melissa McCarthy...

Anyway, Lauren killed it, Hellstar is amazing, I laughed a lot! I encourage you to see it if you are a fan of Lauren's. She worked hard and and she showcases her many talents.

Reviews can be helpful, but when it's a broad comedy, maybe just shut your brain off and enjoy yourself?

I'm sure I would but I don't have Netflix. And who has the time these days!?

the Insane Piano
Feb 10, 2011
i hope some day LL gets to showcase her talent in a movie that is worthy of it.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

the Insane Piano posted:

i hope some day LL gets to showcase her talent in a movie that is worthy of it.

One of her recurring characters sells sopping wet rugs out of I think an old pizza place... what exactly is so sophisticated about her comedy that makes this movie not worth it?

My problem with many of the Happy Madison movies is the misogyny also some of the gross out humor isn’t to my liking but otherwise I’m sure it’ll be funny. I like Lauren and I’ve enjoyed many of Sandler and Spades movies.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ElCondemn posted:

One of her recurring characters sells sopping wet rugs out of I think an old pizza place... what exactly is so sophisticated about her comedy that makes this movie not worth it?

She sells rugs sopping wet with dirty water from the leaking toilet, and she only likes pizza served in a very specific, unusual way: she likes it round, with a layer of sauce (red sauce, tomato sauce), evenly distributed cheese, and maybe, maybe some pepperoni.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Franchescanado posted:

I think it's a bit of both. Sandler and Co were really fundamental for that generation of comedians.

I was watching a live stream thing about a month ago or so, and Bert Kreischer was introducing Adam Sandler and he fanboyed out so hard it was embarrassing. I'm sure Sandler is used to regular rear end people telling him how much they love him in [insert wrong name of movie here], but for a fellow comedian to do it... painful.

the Insane Piano
Feb 10, 2011

ElCondemn posted:

My problem with many of the Happy Madison movies is the misogyny also some of the gross out humor isn’t to my liking but otherwise I’m sure it’ll be funny. I like Lauren and I’ve enjoyed many of Sandler and Spades movies.

Like Adam Sandler, Lauren Lapkus is a once-in-a-generation genius with a completely original comedic sensibility and vision, and I hope that she gets to do with hers what Sandler got to do with his.

the Insane Piano fucked around with this message at 17:21 on May 18, 2020

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

I was watching a live stream thing about a month ago or so, and Bert Kreischer was introducing Adam Sandler and he fanboyed out so hard it was embarrassing. I'm sure Sandler is used to regular rear end people telling him how much they love him in [insert wrong name of movie here], but for a fellow comedian to do it... painful.

Bert loves to fanboy though. I mean, he still loves Ari Shaffir even after he drugged him. He wants to be liked a bit too much I think. Except when it comes to PFT though.

I went down a Kreischer rabbit hole not to long ago and while I'm not a big fan of him, his love of comedy was a bit infectious and I like a bit of the 'inside baseball' talk.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
The majority of the negative review of The Wrong Missy are essentially “this would be great if everyone was up to Lapkus’ level.” Though I thought Swardson’s character conceit was also funny (HR guy who spies on everyone’s private data because of course he does).

Then there’s Schneider just kind of existing to go on vacation.

It has some draggy stuff on the back end of the movie, but if nothing else just watch the cold open style intro scene to see how unhinged Lauren is rather than the party girl aesthetic the trailer highlights.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah he's a good storyteller, and I found the show I watched to be entertaining enough that I considered going to his show (that was then covid'd out, funnily enough I did have a ticket to the Sandler one also covid'd). He shoud've kept it in his pants a bit more when telling Sandler he loved Precious Gems, though.

What's the thing about PFT, I'm intrigued!

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah he's a good storyteller, and I found the show I watched to be entertaining enough that I considered going to his show (that was then covid'd out, funnily enough I did have a ticket to the Sandler one also covid'd). He shoud've kept it in his pants a bit more when telling Sandler he loved Precious Gems, though.

What's the thing about PFT, I'm intrigued!
I get it. He does the same around Dave Attell.

The PFT is just based on random thing's I've read but nothing definitive. I might be conflagration the "beef". I'd say ask the Google. I've only done a shallow dive into it. I think on one level it was just a business thing at one time and on another they're both really other ends of the spectrum and I think PFT is a bit of the Platonic ideal of improv, pretentious, "cerebral" comic, in Bert's eyes. It's the anthesis of his method. He believes in crafting jokes and honing a bit as opposed to making comedy in the moment. That's not to imply that PFT only does that. He was a stand up too. But he's just the one on Bert's radar.

There does seem to be the difference between standups and improv ("alternative" comedians"). I kinda get it but there's room for both. I mean compare PFT in a suit to a shirtless Kreischer. They're just too different I think.

I do think and ep of Bert on PFT talking it out would be fun/interesting.

Edit: Looking around again, it may have had more to do with Ari. I'm still not sure why people put up with him and he should have had the poo poo kicked out of him and been black-balled out of comedy years ago. He's just a punk. The only time he was right was about Kobe and it was the only time he got any flak.

RoyKeen fucked around with this message at 19:28 on May 18, 2020

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Just to jump back to that Vulture list for one second, Don Dimello's first appearance back in like, 2011 was when CBB/CDR jumped from a podcast I listened to most of the time to this is the loving funniest poo poo on earth for a stretch. I relistened to that episode a dozen times within a month or two. I'll never forget when he's saying something like "Greek women, very susceptible to addiction."

T. Bombastus
Feb 18, 2013

the Insane Piano posted:

Like Adam Sandler, Lauren Lapkus is a once-in-a-generation genius with a completely original comedic sensibility and vision, and I hope that she gets to do with hers what Sandler got to do with his.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

soggybagel posted:

Just to jump back to that Vulture list for one second, Don Dimello's first appearance back in like, 2011 was when CBB/CDR jumped from a podcast I listened to most of the time to this is the loving funniest poo poo on earth for a stretch. I relistened to that episode a dozen times within a month or two. I'll never forget when he's saying something like "Greek women, very susceptible to addiction."

Peak CBB was loving amazing. I think the first episode I listened to had Andy Samberg and Daly's life of the party character. I remember something about wet jackets for some reason but don't remember the context exactly. After that I was hooked and Andy Daly was someone I actively watched out for in any media (the CBB bump!).

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Inspector 34 posted:

Peak CBB was loving amazing. I think the first episode I listened to had Andy Samberg and Daly's life of the party character. I remember something about wet jackets for some reason but don't remember the context exactly. After that I was hooked and Andy Daly was someone I actively watched out for in any media (the CBB bump!).

If he failed he would walk out into the ocean wearing a heavy coat...to kill himself.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Inspector 34 posted:

I love Andy Daly and I'm probably in the minority but I loved the whole Zouks/Daly/Aukerman Apocalypse storyline.
I still watch this every few months.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Cx7gJL7MVs

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

I love Andy Daly and I'm probably in the minority but I loved the whole Zouks/Daly/Aukerman Apocalypse storyline.
I still watch this every few months.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Cx7gJL7MVs

As do I. One of my favorite moments of CBB history is when Scott asks Don if he manages the arclight. It's such a perfect payoff to a long running joke i've ever seen. Andy is clearly delighted by it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I have that video in my YT watchlist at the moment, I think I've only ever listened to the audio version before so looking forward to it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
You're in for a treat. That's definitely my favorite of the VPN stuff. The I4H Paul Rust/John Gemberling/Lauren Lapkus video podcast also adds a ton with their reactions and facial expressions and such.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Weirdly enough, I enjoyed David Spade on CBB. He's grounded, but he's having fun, I liked his stories, and he laughs a lot. I liked the SNL stories.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Same, and I thought he came across well by pushing Lauren so hard in a conversation that must've been so drat awkward for everyone trying to pretend she wasn't in the 'room'.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

I watched The Wrong Missy, overall it had a bit of the gross out and misoginistic stuff I was expecting but there were also a few really good laughs. Nothing was so terrible it ruined the movie for me, which is a nice plus, even had some nice moments. Overall I thought it was a pretty funny movie and Lauren and her humor are definitely the best parts of the movie, worth a watch if you're into the kind of stuff Happy Madison produces.

Also listened to the CBB episode and it was alright, not a huge knee slapper but a nice middle of the road episode. It did make me want to watch the movie though so not too bad I suppose.

Best laugh for me was the cliff diving scene

ElCondemn fucked around with this message at 18:58 on May 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Franchescanado posted:

Weirdly enough, I enjoyed David Spade on CBB. He's grounded, but he's having fun, I liked his stories, and he laughs a lot. I liked the SNL stories.

I quite liked his no bullshit description of the live component of SNL as a detriment to the quality of the sketches.