Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season should the next animated reconstruction be from?
This poll is closed.
Season 1 (Marco Polo) 13 18.57%
Season 2 (The Crusade) 1 1.43%
Season 3 (Galaxy 4/The Myth Makers/The Daleks' Master Plan/The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve/The Celestial Toymaker/The Savages) 25 35.71%
Season 4 (The Smugglers/The Highlanders/The Underwater Menace/The Evil of the Daleks) 16 22.86%
Season 5 (The Abominable Snowmen/The Web of Fear/The Wheel in Space) 11 15.71%
Season 6 (The Space Pirates) 4 5.71%
Total: 70 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

It's been kind of a bummer that the Tardis during Jodie's era has seemed largely irrelevant and that the group spends next to no time inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 39 days!

Harlock posted:

It's been kind of a bummer that the Tardis during Jodie's era has seemed largely irrelevant and that the group spends next to no time inside.

To be fair, it was much the same during McCoy's run, too.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Rochallor posted:

The production's gotten better, and they have more actors and access to revival-era content, but it's still mostly the same 4 writers writing the same 6 stories over and over and over and over again.

This is very true, and the one in-road into that is their once yearly submission thing from which they take one single writer. But no, keep working the same 4-5 workers over and over.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Rochallor posted:

The production's gotten better, and they have more actors and access to revival-era content, but it's still mostly the same 4 writers writing the same 6 stories over and over and over and over again.

This was a real sticking point for Sandifer too I remember, and I can't really disagree with her on that. I absolutely loved Big Finish when I first got into Doctor Who and I continued with them for a long time, but by now they've long been well past the point where another Dalek story by Nick Briggs can no longer be the point of the operation. I'm sure their average quality remains solid enough, but there's absolutely no excuse for how safe and uninspired the bulk of their content seems to be considering its constantly expanding volume.

The_Doctor posted:

This is very true, and the one in-road into that is their once yearly submission thing from which they take one single writer. But no, keep working the same 4-5 workers over and over.

And have any of those writers even written anything else for BF after their winning Short Trips?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
And given that Big Finish, in the business of selling expensive niche content, is apparently a rather successful company financially, I suspect (and there's no nice way to phrase this) that their customer base doesn't have particularly high standards. Demand seems inelastic. Anything starring Colin Baker and Nicola Bryant is probably gonna sell pretty well. So why not throw some stuff at the wall and see what sticks?

Also (I haven't listened to a new main line release since maybe 2016 so maybe they've done away with this but I highly doubt it), it's 2020. The classic series was canceled thirty years ago. Stop breaking up stories into four parts with cliffhangers! There have been like ten good cliffhangers in the entirely of the series, and all of Big Finish's are, "Oh no, it's the monster that's on the cover of the CD!"

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I submitted to the Benny Summerfield thing in September last year, and never heard another thing. No email receipt, and they’ve not mentioned it on any of their social media since either.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Rochallor posted:

As someone who used to listen to a lot of BF, this statement is pretty darn wild in my opinion. About 95% of the good stuff Big Finish has done was in the very early part of their catalogue, well before the revival started. Their entire goal since then has been to produce safe, unchallenging Doctor Who stories and I doubt Nicolas Briggs would dispute that characterization much.

This is true.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

To be honest, I've nothing against BF, but I kind of agree that if it wasnt on TV, it doesnt count as "proper" doctor who to me. If anything can be said to count as "proper" doctor who, given the "everything is canon and also nothing is" nature of doctor who continuity of course.

Again, thats nothing against BF, its not an attempt at a comment on the quality of their product one way or the other. Some of the stuff I've heard of theirs has been good, other stuff... well, lets not dwell on that. Its just that if the TV writers decide one day to directly contradict something that happened a piece of spin-off media, be it an audio play, a novel, a comicbook or the back of an action figures packaging, then the TV takes precedence. So far they've by and large been reasonably decent at not directly contradicting the audio stuff, and even bringing parts of it into the actual show where possible in little ways, but doesnt change the fact that, to me, Doctor Who is a TV show first and foremost.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
By virtue of being the most widely consumed medium, televised Doctor Who is always going to be supreme. But pre-revival, both the books and, to a lesser extent, Big Finish, had solid claims to being "the" Doctor Who. They did this by learning from what had been on TV and trying to build on and evolve past that (of course this varied greatly from story to story).

Simply by virtue of being expanded universe material, current books, audios, comics, whatever are limited to some degree to filling in gaps in previous televised stories, but with a property like Doctor Who those gaps are uniquely wide and I wish they'd take more advantage of them, and more advantage of their respective mediums. I mean, audio drama is a medium with a ton of potential for DW. It plays to all of the show's strengths--talented British actors talking at each other--and eliminates its weaknesses--design budgets, set wobbliness. Stuff like Scherzo or The Natural History of Fear or Legend of the Cyberman (to a lesser degree) are uniquely suited to the medium.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Last year's Monthly Range included 16 different writers, including 2 who had never written for BF before.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Sydney Bottocks posted:

To be fair, it was much the same during McCoy's run, too.

To be even fairer, long scenes of sitting in the TARDIS wasn't really a regular thing until the late Tom/Early Davison era. IIRC, we didn't even see the console room in Tom's first season.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Wolfechu posted:

To be even fairer, long scenes of sitting in the TARDIS wasn't really a regular thing until the late Tom/Early Davison era. IIRC, we didn't even see the console room in Tom's first season.

Yeah. The TARDIS itself isn't even in Sontaran Experiment or Genesis of the Daleks and only appears at the very end of Revenge of the Cybermen.

The console room only appears once in Pertwee's last season too.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/doctorwhosite/status/1262399336278822914?s=20

Also, John Lloyd, who produced Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Blackadder, QI, etc, is having his Fourth Doctor script made into one of the Lost Stories. He was a roommate of Douglas Adams at the time, and Adams had copious notes for the story.

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/a-lost-doctor-who-story-by-tv-legend-john-lloyd-returns

The story sounds very Adams-ish.

quote:

Earth - a small, insignificant planet. Entirely devoid of intelligent life.

At least that’s according to the legal documents. The Doctor, Romana and K9 find themselves at the centre of a most unusual trial.

An intergalactic corporation want to bulldoze the planet for a development project. Only a previous court’s preservation document is standing in their way.

The Doctor has been summoned as an expert witness. If he can prove Earth contains intelligent life, the whole world will be saved.
But with a fortune at stake... it was never going to be that simple.

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 17:09 on May 18, 2020

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

There was a huge furore on FB the past few days when these leaked out, because someone was selling them on eBay. There were people absolutely adamant they were fakes, and at the same time CO were shutting down all the pictures and whatnot. Some users were begging for the pics, and others were screaming not to post them ‘in case CO decides to just cancel them all’ - something they have actually done for a Yeti figure in the past when a prototype pic leaked out. It was madness.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1262761476189642753

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I mean, I feel like if you read Lovecraft's writing you should have a good idea that he was a not-so-brilliant person without needing to meet him, but who am I to talk.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

A real piece of work creates pieces of work that become (literal) cult classics

I keep forgetting that the Nestene Consciousness was the offspring of an Elder God, and it's not even the first or last the Doctor's dealt with

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'm just relieved they're going to do Lovecraft and not shy away from the fact he was a gigantic piece of poo poo. Any and all reminders for people unfamiliar with just how insanely racist he was (to the point where contemporaries who were also racist were like,"Dude... settle the gently caress down...") is a good thing.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I wonder if his cat will show up? :haw:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

6 shall channel 12.

(gods that’s a badly acted punch)

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
it's good to point out that Lovecraft was a hateful poo poo, but it feels kind of empty doing so while putting out stories where the Doctor uncritically pals around with Winston "Famine or no famine, Indians will always breed like rabbits (so we'll just let 2 million of them starve to death)" Churchill

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I mean, most of history is horrible people doing horrible things to other people (who are sometimes horrible themselves). It’s hard to write a show about time travel with that in mind.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
The show has tried to engage with that from time to time, like in Planet of the Ood when Ten snaps at Donna and asks, ''Who do you think made your clothes?'' But it's immediately undercut by Donna (rightfully) calling that unfair.

The correct way to deal with it would for the Doctor to point out that hate, subjugation, and genocide happen everytime and everyplace so they're used to it, but that's a supremely cynical statement for what is a fundamentally optimistic show.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Homora Gaykemi posted:

it's good to point out that Lovecraft was a hateful poo poo, but it feels kind of empty doing so while putting out stories where the Doctor uncritically pals around with Winston "Famine or no famine, Indians will always breed like rabbits (so we'll just let 2 million of them starve to death)" Churchill

Also, Nixon

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

6 shall channel 12.

(gods that’s a badly acted punch)

Eh, I think it worked fine on screen at normal speed.

Also, in response to Edward Mass, I disagree that it's difficult to write a show about time travel without deifying past figures, but it's probably hard to do it with a beloved BBC property when Winston Churchill is still seen as a national hero by people of all parties in the UK.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Eh, I think it worked fine on screen at normal speed.

Also, in response to Edward Mass, I disagree that it's difficult to write a show about time travel without deifying past figures, but it's probably hard to do it with a beloved BBC property when Winston Churchill is still seen as a national hero by people of all parties in the UK.

Yeah, genuinely, i loving hate Churchill, but having Doctor Who criticise Churchill would be a sure fire way to get the show cancelled and everyone involved fired.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Burkion posted:

Also, Nixon

For sure, just went with Churchill since he's in the 3DA set Big Fin put out recently and is therefore a more immediate comparison

mehall posted:

Yeah, genuinely, i loving hate Churchill, but having Doctor Who criticise Churchill would be a sure fire way to get the show cancelled and everyone involved fired.

That's why you just don't directly involve the man at all.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvT0e_nQGZw

I think the last time I heard an audiobook narrated by one person was back in my early school days

I'm used to full cast versions

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Second + Twelfth + Romana + Jack + Jamie

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
12, Donna, Clara, Romana, Rory. What a gang.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

War, Bill, Ace, Jack, and Rory

I wish we could have had War and Jack interact in audio.

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 17:02 on May 20, 2020

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

3, war, captain Jack, Jamie, Brig

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

How is the brig only 1 point

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Wait, if they're all named The Doctor, doesn't that mean you get all 15 of them for 5 points? :thunk:

Amy, Rory, Ace & Jamie

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Heh

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1263137853426499584?s=20

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Jacob Dudman's really great at impressions but he just doesn't have the timbre to properly impersonate Capaldi.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Jack, Brig, Jamie, Rory, 2, 9

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Homora Gaykemi posted:

Lovecraft was a hateful poo poo, but also politically unconnected, powerless, and poor. His work's public domain. His racist works are on full display. He's easy to call out. He also had massive psychological problems.

By all accounts, he was remarkably supportive of other writers despite his own struggles, and in ways that many of his more successful contemporaries weren't.

It's almost like most human beings aren't either paragons or monsters, but mixtures of the two...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Jacob Dudman's really great at impressions but he just doesn't have the timbre to properly impersonate Capaldi.

Yeah, the age isn’t there yet. He sounds like he’s doing Tennant’s natural accent.