Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

It has increased her magics power, why just this episode she saved everyone's life with Earth Bump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Piell posted:

Katarina absolutely is worse at magic than she "should" be because she has no understanding how it works and thinks farming will increase her magic power.

The anime seems to have skipped this detail, but Katarina knows farming wont make her stronger in magic. She got tutored in magic like her adopted brother was, and got told farming wont help. She just kept doing it because she enjoyed it by the time she learned it doesent help. Plus i think she figured at some point farming is a good source of money if she gets exiled.

Iretep fucked around with this message at 15:42 on May 17, 2020

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
iirc it's mentioned at some point that earth bump was pretty much all the original catarina was capable of too.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Piell posted:

Katarina absolutely is worse at magic than she "should" be because she has no understanding how it works and thinks farming will increase her magic power.

Earth Bump was all Fortune Lover Katarina could do too.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
To be fair it's not like Keith has become noticeably stronger either. He's learned control, not more power.

You might just be born with a certain strength of magic in this world.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Katarina upgraded her earth bumb though, so I assume you can become better with training but it probably takes a lot more effort if you arent a natural, which Katarina definetly isnt.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it is best not to think too hard about the otome game reincarnation settings. they do not make even the slightest bit of sense.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
The earth bump joke in the episode was hilarious, but I was still disappointed Catarina didn't actually save herself by using earth bump to make ledges to climb back up after she fell over the edge of that pit.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
This doesn't have much to do with anything, but I learned Claes is a common Belgian surname a few days ago.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Shyrka posted:

The earth bump joke in the episode was hilarious, but I was still disappointed Catarina didn't actually save herself by using earth bump to make ledges to climb back up after she fell over the edge of that pit.

That would be a smart thing to do. Also earth bump seems to be just dirt so that would probably not help at all.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Nitrousoxide posted:

I wonder if Acchan also died in an accident shortly after Caterina died, or if it was a suicide. She was born in this world at the same time as Caterina, and doesn't seem to have any memories of her being older and grown up, which would seem to imply she died shortly after her friend.

Seems weird that she would also be reborn at the same time in this world if she lived for decades after Caterina, or that all of her intervening memories would have had so little import to her as to not make it over, leaving her with just the memories of her 13 year old self.

The LN implies that she lived a full life.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Wark Say posted:

What does your heart tells you?

That Katarina x Mushrooms is going to be in the next top 10 list. But that doesn't really answer my question.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Allarion posted:

The LN implies that she lived a full life.

To add to this (LN spoiler), Acchan regrets not being able to spend more time with her friend since she died at such a young age and wishes that if reincarnation were real, they could spend more time together again.

What’s great about the LNs is that at the end of each each chapter/story with the side characters, it goes over the same events briefly from the point of view of the non-Katarina character that was a focus of that chapter. So you’re really able to understand how they are feeling through their own inner monologues and not just from Bakarina’s point of view.

For example (LN spoiler about Geordo & Alan), from Geordo’s point of view you learn that it’s not just Mary who is trying to keep Alan in the dark and from realizing that he (Alan) is also in love with Katarina, so that Geordo has less rivals for Katarina’s affection. It shows that Geordo knows what’s up and really sees everyone else as his rival and that they are all not to be underestimated. So that’s why he keeps trying to leverage his position as fiance to arrange individual meetings with Katarina.

VVVV: Well there you go, I hadn’t watched the episode yet, so it’s nice to see that they covered that small detail.

ihatepants fucked around with this message at 23:15 on May 17, 2020

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

ihatepants posted:

To add to this (LN spoiler), Acchan regrets not being able to spend more time with her friend since she died at such a young age and wishes that if reincarnation were real, they could spend more time together again.

this part is also just outright stated in the episode.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Is this show good? I saw it recommended elsewhere and am curious.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

It's very good so long as you are looking for something lighthearted and silly.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Skippy McPants posted:

Is this show good? I saw it recommended elsewhere and am curious.

It's the Golden Kamuy of harem series.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Oh, okay. It's anime Jane Austen but also bi.

Cute.

Good timing on a lot of the comedic bits too.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

I'm glad they spent some time setting up the Sophia = Acchan plot point, in the manga it was a real deus ex machine after Catarina goes comatose.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

cave emperor posted:

I'm glad they spent some time setting up the Sophia = Acchan plot point, in the manga it was a real deus ex machine after Catarina goes comatose.

In the LN there's a chapter called "Together Again" which is Sophia having a dream from Acchan's POV that ends with Acchan saying she wants to be reincarnated to meet her friend again. It really is not supposed to be a mystery.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Rubellavator posted:

In the LN there's a chapter called "Together Again" which is Sophia having a dream from Acchan's POV that ends with Acchan saying she wants to be reincarnated to meet her friend again. It really is not supposed to be a mystery.

I didn't read the LN or WN, and I think the manga skipped that part. I remember feeling like the reveal came out of absolutely nowhere, at least.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

That Katarina x Mushrooms is going to be in the next top 10 list. But that doesn't really answer my question.
Bah! :mad:

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Binged this show in a single evening and holy hell it owns

It's so wholesome

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Haven't read the LNs or manga, but where do I put bets on my speculation that the student council president dude is the darkness thing from the dungeon and/or some kind of antagonist in the rest of the series?

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

el dorito posted:

the dub is good

this is coming from a subs snob

it's the perfect reason to watch the series again

I enjoyed the dub, too. Though it was a little weird they kept in terms like otome games and otaku, or had Katarina call Geordo Master instead of Prince.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

amigolupus posted:

I enjoyed the dub, too. Though it was a little weird they kept in terms like otome games and otaku, or had Katarina call Geordo Master instead of Prince.

I agree with what you said, although I think it's ok that they used Master. It might be the correct usage of how these terms are used (I dunno really, I'm not familiar with these terms and their appropriate usage outside of a computing context)

I wonder what a 4kids style butchering of the game would change in this regard. Define an otome game before using the term? Use "videogame nerd" instead of a generic otaku? (and then we get into darker aspects of this... maybe somehow they turn this into a Geordo and Keith buddy comedy).

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Eh, Master and Lord can get iffy. For example:

In one of my favorite games of all time, during the prologue we get this exchange between our MC and one of the Kingdom's nobles that's ranked way above him, and yet the redhead is nothing if not courteous towards our MC. So as long as it conveys the sufficient amount of respect it seems like fair game.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
My favorite joke is when after they solve the riddle to figure out the way to go, Catarina wants to go the other way because in RPGs you always want to fully explore every nook and cranny of the dungeon.

Thank you for listening.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Clarste posted:

My favorite joke is when after they solve the riddle to figure out the way to go, Catarina wants to go the other way because in RPGs you always want to fully explore every nook and cranny of the dungeon.

Agreed, I liked that line a lot.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Wark Say posted:

Eh, Master and Lord can get iffy. For example:

In one of my favorite games of all time, during the prologue we get this exchange between our MC and one of the Kingdom's nobles that's ranked way above him, and yet the redhead is nothing if not courteous towards our MC. So as long as it conveys the sufficient amount of respect it seems like fair game.

Did that get an official translation?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Did that get an official translation?
Nope! And it's probably going to remain that way.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Clarste posted:

Thank you for listening.

:yeah:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Clarste posted:

Thank you for listening.

:hmmyes:

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.

Clarste posted:

Thank you for listening.

The best part of it is that she was actually correct, since she found the shiny magic rock in the dead end trap hall. Katarina is simply too powerful.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Clarste posted:

Thank you for listening.
:same:

Unit24
Jan 31, 2015

Hey kids! Do you want to be as AKOOL as me?
I'm definitely going to want to continue this series after the anime is over. Not sure if I should read the manga or the LN though.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Both are really good versions but it's basically a choice between more narrative content in the LNs or the manga art

Unit24
Jan 31, 2015

Hey kids! Do you want to be as AKOOL as me?

Mokinokaro posted:

Both are really good versions but it's basically a choice between more narrative content in the LNs or the manga art

Roughly how much farther ahead are the light novels than the manga? And are there any decent fan translations of the later LNs?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
The manga currently covers up to chapter 19 fan translated (which I'm almost certain the anime is going to get to by the end.). Fan translation is pretty slow currently.

There was only one group doing fan translations of the LN and they stopped when it was licensed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Unit24 posted:

Roughly how much farther ahead are the light novels than the manga? And are there any decent fan translations of the later LNs?

In the official English releases at least, the LN is ahead of the manga by two arcs, approximately. There was also a short story collection volume which just had stories that happened throughout the timeline, one of which was partially adapted in the anime with Keith’s nightmares. The next volume looks like it’ll officially start “Fortune Lover 2” based off the synopsis, so I’m curious about that.