Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

OldSenileGuy posted:

Is it a standard feature now that receivers will take any non-digital input (ie component or composite video) and output it over HDMI? When I got my VSX 1020 in 2010 that was a fancy feature, but I imagine it's standard now? Regardless, I don't currently have any component or composite devices to plug in, but it would be nice to know it would be easy if I needed to use one.
For what you want maybe look for a used 2016-2017 flagship model? The Yamaha RX-A1050, 2050, 1060, 2060 or Denon X2400, 3400, etc. have component switching. Of course if it dies you'll be in the same boat but it's probably the only way to get what you want well under a grand. Don't buy Onkyos from before 2018.

Residency Evil posted:

When are the new Denon receivers supposed to come out? Any chance we see them before the new year?
Last I heard was "fall," and don't be too optimistic about their capabilities. This years' Denon and Marantz will likely only have a single HDMI 2.1 port. Turns out 48 gigabit video processing is tricky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

qirex posted:

For what you want maybe look for a used 2016-2017 flagship model? The Yamaha RX-A1050, 2050, 1060, 2060 or Denon X2400, 3400, etc. have component switching. Of course if it dies you'll be in the same boat but it's probably the only way to get what you want well under a grand. Don't buy Onkyos from before 2018.

Meh, that feature is not really a dealbreaker for me, just something I remember being a hot poo poo feature in 2010 and that would be nice to have. Not something I really need given that I have zero component/composite devices now and no interest in serious retro gaming or anything of that sort.

Right now I'm basically ready to pull the trigger on Wirecutter's recommendation, the Denon AVR-S750H. Anyone got any strong feelings one way or another on that receiver?

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Recommended the AVR-S750H to my mom for her new TV and was super impressed with its capabilities when I messed with it. I have a 4400H and it's probably not worth the price difference.

Note it dips below MSRP routinely. She paid $350. https://camelcamelcamel.com/product/B07QQ87Y6M?context=search Refurbs are $340 on A4L.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

KS posted:

Recommended the AVR-S750H to my mom for her new TV and was super impressed with its capabilities when I messed with it. I have a 4400H and it's probably not worth the price difference.

Note it dips below MSRP routinely. She paid $350. https://camelcamelcamel.com/product/B07QQ87Y6M?context=search Refurbs are $340 on A4L.

what's A4L?

receivers seem like something you might try Greentoe on, also.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

accessories4less , it's an online retailer that sells "refurbished" items that most people believe to be brand new but given that rating so manufacturers overlook their lower than guidelines pricing.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

OldSenileGuy posted:

Right now I'm basically ready to pull the trigger on Wirecutter's recommendation, the Denon AVR-S750H. Anyone got any strong feelings one way or another on that receiver?
That's probably a perfectly fine receiver, you could stretch to the X1600H it's got a better calibration system and 1 more year of warranty if that matters to you but they look mostly identical. I bought my receiver from AC4L and it was in a box clearly marked "refurbished" but looked brand new, all the stickers on it and everything.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

qirex posted:

Last I heard was "fall," and don't be too optimistic about their capabilities. This years' Denon and Marantz will likely only have a single HDMI 2.1 port. Turns out 48 gigabit video processing is tricky.

Oh wow, this is super helpful, thanks. Sounds like I may just be better off picking up a cheap x2600/x3500 and calling it a day.

Finally ordered my subwoofer, an HSU VTF-2 Mk5. Shoutout to the Hsu people: they took a look at my room and said that the VTF-2 should be just fine for my space (versus the VTF-3).

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

HDMI 2.1 is a total shitshow, apparently the spec is still not 100% stable. There's people on AVS are freaking out because LG removed 48gbps from the spec page for one of their TVs [people on AVS freak out over every minor issue]. I know there's people struggling to get reliable 4k120 from their PCs on TVs labeled "HDMI 2.1."

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
4K HDR was a crapfest when it came out as well, for cables and for AVRs.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

qirex posted:

HDMI 2.1 is a total shitshow, apparently the spec is still not 100% stable. There's people on AVS are freaking out because LG removed 48gbps from the spec page for one of their TVs [people on AVS freak out over every minor issue]. I know there's people struggling to get reliable 4k120 from their PCs on TVs labeled "HDMI 2.1."

Wait, how are people getting 4k/120 from their PC to an HDMI 2.1 TV at all???

I've been impatiently waiting for Ampere to finally get an HDMI 2.1 video card, if there's some way to do that now, I must know.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Taima posted:

Wait, how are people getting 4k/120 from their PC to an HDMI 2.1 TV at all???

I've been impatiently waiting for Ampere to finally get an HDMI 2.1 video card, if there's some way to do that now, I must know.

there isn't, DP1.4 can do 4K120 8-bit but there are no HDMI 2.1 cards yet (expected with Ampere)

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

KS posted:

Paul MaudDib posted:

receivers seem like something you might try Greentoe on, also.

Thanks for the info and the Greentoe recommendation. I used Greentoe to get my C8 and it was great, and then I totally forgot about them. I've got a $350 offer in to them now and if that gets rejected I'll probably just order from Costco for $429. It's more expensive, but I'll get 3 extra years of warranty plus theoretically infinite warranty due to Costco's generous return policy.

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012
Hi,

I'd like some feedback on the following idea.

I have two screens (of which one already there, a projector) and would like both to connect to a common Android TV Box.
This box needs to give the smarts, a Plex Server, and would function as a mini-NAS that is synchronized with another NAS.

The non projector screen would do double duty as an art piece.

So I was thinking of doing this through a Samsung Frame TV for the art piece and connecting the Frame and the projector both to the NVIDIA SHIELD TV that functions as both Android TV Box, NAS and Plex server.

Does this sound like a good idea? Plausible? Any issues you foresee?

For instance, does the Art Mode of the Frame TV still work easily when not using Samsung's own Smart TV (Tizen based I think)?
As well as other things I may have overlooked.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

LG OLED 55" TVs - is there much of a practical difference between the OLED55B9PLA and the OLED55C9PLA? The latter is something like 20% more expensive, but the difference seems to be simply the processor and I'm not sure that'd be all that obvious unless they were viewed side-by-side.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Clarence posted:

LG OLED 55" TVs - is there much of a practical difference between the OLED55B9PLA and the OLED55C9PLA? The latter is something like 20% more expensive, but the difference seems to be simply the processor and I'm not sure that'd be all that obvious unless they were viewed side-by-side.

This video has a good direct comparison of the two. (In short, the C9 is better than the B9 at handling near-black material. C9 is also brighter.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzmKsPwoe_w

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Greentoe is accepting 77 inch C9 orders for around $3500-3600 (this is out the door including tax/shipping).

Gonna Send It
Jul 8, 2010

Taima posted:

Greentoe is accepting 77 inch C9 orders for around $3500-3600 (this is out the door including tax/shipping).

I just put an offer in on one, wish me luck!

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

LG 55" BX +$150 gift card for $1600 shipped: https://www.buydig.com/shop/product/LGOLED55BXPUA/LG-OLED55BXPUA-55-BX-4K-Smart-OLED-TV-w-AI-ThinQ-2020-Model

Gonna Send It
Jul 8, 2010
Offer accepted at $3599. I'm replacing a 110" projector and can't wait to have contrast again in daytime.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Gonna Send It posted:

Offer accepted at $3599. I'm replacing a 110" projector and can't wait to have contrast again in daytime.

gently caress dude, that's gonna be an amazing TV.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
how is the C9 vs BX vs CX difference going to shake out? I told myself that if I'm going to wait this long I might as well wait for 120 Hz BFI, not sure if that's in the BX too?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Question about HDR, is it really necessary to set your TV's backlight to maximum to get the full effect HDR? Lots of tech sites recommend this, but I usually watch in a dim room and my TV is blindingly bright with the backlight at maximum.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Gonna Send It posted:

I just put an offer in on one, wish me luck!

Much luck brother!

Gonna Send It posted:

Grats!

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Question about HDR, is it really necessary to set your TV's backlight to maximum to get the full effect HDR? Lots of tech sites recommend this, but I usually watch in a dim room and my TV is blindingly bright with the backlight at maximum.
Only in the same way that it's necessary to set your receiver to reference volume to fully experience a soundtrack. Technically true, but practically meaningless if it's uncomfortable or impractical for you to use in that state.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Assassin's Creed likes to do these solid white loading screens and since I sit closer to my tv when gaming I ended up turning down the brightness on that input.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Usually when HDR signal is picked up it switches modes on the same input and cranks the brightness. At least that’s how my dumb Samsung lcd works

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Yeah HDR signal should switch you to a different picture mode which you can edit independent of your regular picture settings.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

wolrah posted:

Only in the same way that it's necessary to set your receiver to reference volume to fully experience a soundtrack. Technically true, but practically meaningless if it's uncomfortable or impractical for you to use in that state.

That's what I was thinking, thanks!

American McGay posted:

Yeah HDR signal should switch you to a different picture mode which you can edit independent of your regular picture settings.

Yeah, my TV does this too. I normally keep the backlight around 50-70 but the HDR picture modes are defaulted to 100.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
Can anyone with an LG OLED CX comment on how well it handles motion? I was eyeing the CX as a replacement for my current Sony x900e, but I'd like to hear more about how it handles fast moving objects. Motion blur and image ghosting are like my Achilles heels, and once I become aware of them, I can't stop noticing them.

I haven't had much of an issue with the x900e in that regard, but since it's my primary television, I want something that will be more future-proofed for the upcoming game consoles and PC graphics cards. I also considered a C9, but it's literally a half inch too tall to fit in the space I have available for it unless I sand down the legs on the TV stand. Thanks!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Hey good timing RTINGS has their CX review out.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/cx-oled

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

55" E9 $1800 shipped + $170 in Visa gift cards

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

BonoMan posted:

Hey good timing RTINGS has their CX review out.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/cx-oled

Gotta say I'm happy I finally bought my E9 earlier this year.

Is it worth getting in to the calibration game? I'm currently just using the RTings settings.

DEUSFORORUM
Aug 28, 2003
I am eyeing a 65" CX for $1950. Is there any reason to expect a better deal than that or a much cheaper price on the BX when it finally comes out.

Also, what is the overall opinion of extended warranty on the LG OLEDs. I can get a 5 year for about $250 from Asurion through the store and I am thinking about doing it just for piece of mind since I have never paid that much for a TV.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Might be a good idea depending on if/how they cover burn in.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Residency Evil posted:

Is it worth getting in to the calibration game? I'm currently just using the RTings settings.

The TVs are generally well calibrated from the factory and there's enough variance between sets that it's a crapshoot if rtings settings would be closer or further away from perfect than the factory calibration. Just adjust if something doesn't seem right to you, but first give yourself time to get used to it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
If anyone wants to try the Floor Model Lottery, Costco Pacoima had one 77" and one 65" LG OLED on their As Is section. (1200 with included SquareTrade for the 65).

Must mean the CX's are on the way...

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Can this be fixed at a non-outrageous cost? Or is it not worth bothering? Not my TV, someone put it up on Nextdoor for free as is:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Always attach your Wiimote wrist strap before playing (not worth it).

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

TITANKISSER69 posted:

Can this be fixed at a non-outrageous cost? Or is it not worth bothering? Not my TV, someone put it up on Nextdoor for free as is:

Nope, it’s trash, they just don’t want to have to pay to e-cycle it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

DEUSFORORUM posted:

I am eyeing a 65" CX for $1950. Is there any reason to expect a better deal than that or a much cheaper price on the BX when it finally comes out.

It’ll likely drop below that if you can wait until Oct/Nov. If you want to have it for the summer that sounds like a good price.