Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Dude for all intents and purposes was basically a supervillain.

I wonder if he and Bob Hope were in some kind of villains league together

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
https://twitter.com/jrhennessy/status/1257876184219529222

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I’m a newbie to reylo- can anyone recommend a ROS fix it-ish fic where Ben survives and the aftermath of it all? I’m sure this must exist, but it’s hard to pick through it all.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Happy to help!

https://twitter.com/PrairieTooka/status/1226198539300155392

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

a.lo posted:

I’m a newbie to reylo- can anyone recommend a ROS fix it-ish fic where Ben survives and the aftermath of it all? I’m sure this must exist, but it’s hard to pick through it all.

"Somehow, Ben has survived," Poe announced.

Rey gasped. "Now, we can be together," she thought.

Then they were.

DIRECTED BY
JJ ABRAMS

STORY BY
JJ ABRAMS

SCRIPT BY
JJ ABRAMS
&
DAVID MAMET

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
They died.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
They went off and had a baby and that baby's name was Harry Potter.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I kind of hope that theory that Palpatine was actually Anakin's father through Force magic is true because that means that Ben Solo is actually Rey's nephew.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

I kind of hope that theory that Palpatine was actually Anakin's father through Force magic is true because that means that Ben Solo is actually Rey's nephew.

first cousin once removed

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
How to redeem the sequel trilogy:

1. Make a new series (animated or not) following the rise of the Resistance and First Order, leading up to TFA, that continues through the beginning of TROS. It would flesh out Leia’s final years, and let us see some more of this world that the movies hint at: the fall of Luke’s academy, stormtrooper indoctrination, military industrial complex, powerless politicians, Rey’s proper jedi training with Leia, etc.

2. Episode 10-12 trilogy which reveals that Rey failed to stop Palpatine in ROS, and he actually did possess her at the end. She becomes the main villain, Empress Skywalker, and the protagonists can be literally anyone who is alive- Finn, Poe, Rose, Jannah, Lando, Chewie, the droids, Ackbar’s son, Ezra, Ahsoka, Sabine, Ghost Luke, DJ, et al. The trilogy would culminate as a sort of reverse prequel trilogy, where we start out at the dawn of this new Empire, and by the end of the trilogy the heroes have defeated the empire, established a new republic, and a new, less formal, Jedi order.

Edit: Except I don’t think they’ll ever be able to convince Oscar Isaac to come back (unless he gets into some kind of Nic Cage situation) so I guess Poe dies while piloting a ship full of beige blob aliens, due to light-speed skipping them all into the side of a cliff/building.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Just have young Luke wake up in a cold sweat in Ben & Beru's place and go "it was all a dream" imo

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
They'd never make Rey a villain.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

SolarFire2 posted:

They'd never make Rey a villain.

I think they’d do it if she can be redeemed by the end/Palpatine exorcised somehow.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
at this rate I’m not certain they’ll give Rey any discernible character traits whatsoever

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Zoran posted:

at this rate I’m not certain they’ll give Rey any discernible character traits whatsoever

They killed off Han and Luke, and Carrie Fisher is dead for real, so they'll either have to give somebody a character, or maybe just press forward with CGI versions of dead actors. Probably the later. After the upcoming Billy Dee Williams movie they announced at the end of RoS.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

lol that star wars has prequels it's terrified to acknowledge and now sequels it's probably not going to be able to acknowledge

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

kyle katarn

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
If you just reboot episode 9 hundreds/thousands of years into the future you could literally repeat the main story line/plot points OR make new ones that RHYME LIKE POETRY and it 💯 fits within the Star Wars universe.

I mean gently caress they already did this with KotOR/SWtOR except into the past.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
just let the starwars die

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Kill it.

If you have to.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
If you meet a Star Wars on your path, kill it.

Not cosplayers though, that would be murder.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

just watched rise of skywalking on may the fourth and let me tell you i did not think that was a very good film!

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I watched it a couple of weeks back for the first time as well, and ended up just fast-forwarding through the last third so I could get it over with. Sure, there was good-looking spectacle in there I think, but it just felt dumb to watch instead of evocative in any way I could appreciate

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I didn't totally hate it as I was watching it but I think that was because of its overwhelming shallowness. It seemed to be so nakedly trying to please the maximum amount of people possible in every single scene that it was kind of hard to be actually mad at it. It's hilarious to me how noncommittal it was to literally every plot thread that started in TFA, TLJ, and even in its own fuckin script though.

Finn has something really important to tell Rey! Poe is really interested in this for some reason! He never tells her anything and also she fucks off to the other side of the galaxy! Finn meets Jannah! Wow seems like they could really connect over shared experiences! NOPE she's gonna gently caress off with Lando for some reason I guess!

They couldn't even commit to having Poe do anything with the Daft Punk lady for gently caress's sake, she just shows up in a Y-Wing for some reason at the end. Like this is the last movie in the story, you would think they could put literally any finality in it at all, but no. Everything just loving dangles in the air and it's dumb as hell.

Also the space battle at the end loving sucked which is a cardinal sin for a star war imo. Fighting on horseback along the deck of the star destroyer was cool, but the actual space battle was lame.

edit: how much do you think they paid Wedge to do the cameo

Chillgamesh fucked around with this message at 18:30 on May 14, 2020

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
SAG minimum probably.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

dialhforhero posted:

SAG minimum certainly.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

dialhforhero posted:

SAG minimum probably.

And an appearance fee/autograph table with prime real estate at this year's Celebration convention

oops

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I finally watched Ep9 tonight and thought it was a freeze-dried turd but I did appreciate that the first x-wing pilot to die was a fatty

it's like poetry, it rhymes

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Chillgamesh posted:

edit: how much do you think they paid Wedge to do the cameo

Wedge was in that movie? I just watched it last night and didn't even notice. What a mess. I had the subtitles on and laughed when Rey was talking to the dead Jedi and one of the voices was labeled as Ahsoka. I guess she's dead?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

I can't remember if they have confirmed that she's dead or not. Assume that she's dead until they need to defrost the character for something sequel related I guess.

Given the stuff referenced in this article I'm sure she pops back up if Filoni gets his way.

https://www.polygon.com/star-wars/2019/12/26/21035457/rise-of-skywalker-jedi-voice-ahsoka-tano-death-clone-wars-rebels

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 18:38 on May 18, 2020

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
I just tried to watch RoS, first time since the theater release, and I couldn’t help but find my phone more interesting. It was so loving bad and bland. I enjoyed every prequel more than RoS.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
I feel like I need to admit at the beginning of RoS when tie fighters are yet again chasing the millennium falcon as someone shoots at them from a turret I was really hoping it would crash and be destroyed so I would never have to see that scene redone again. It would've been an interesting start to the movie too, but the toys don't sell themselves!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

I feel like I need to admit at the beginning of RoS when tie fighters are yet again chasing the millennium falcon as someone shoots at them from a turret I was really hoping it would crash and be destroyed so I would never have to see that scene redone again. It would've been an interesting start to the movie too, but the toys don't sell themselves!

They fake you out with another ship replacing the falcon for one scene and then "lol nope back to the MILLENIUM FALCON! Isnt it cool our sequel trilogy heroes have no identity???"

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Mat Cauthon posted:

I can't remember if they have confirmed that she's dead or not. Assume that she's dead until they need to defrost the character for something sequel related I guess.

Given the stuff referenced in this article I'm sure she pops back up if Filoni gets his way.

https://www.polygon.com/star-wars/2019/12/26/21035457/rise-of-skywalker-jedi-voice-ahsoka-tano-death-clone-wars-rebels

Rosario Dawson has been cast to play her in The Mandolorian.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
At this point I am pretty sure the purpose of the sequel trilogy was to gaslight us all into thinking the prequels were actually good.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!
TLJ: Let the past die. Kill it if you have to.
TLS: NOPE, gently caress THAT, KILL THE FUTURE TO KEEP THE PAST ON LIFE SUPPORT

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Barudak posted:

They fake you out with another ship replacing the falcon for one scene and then "lol nope back to the MILLENIUM FALCON! Isnt it cool our sequel trilogy heroes have no identity???"

It's even worse than that. You don't see the Falcon when Rey says its a piece of garbage and drags Finn towards the quadjumper, so you're left with the momentary feeling that the movie might establish itself with a proper identity and then NO MOTHERFUCKER, MILLENNIUM FALCON, NOSTALGIA FOREVER!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

dialhforhero posted:

At this point I am pretty sure the purpose of the sequel trilogy was to gaslight us all into thinking the prequels were actually good.

The prequels are certainly more fun to talk about if nothing else.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

It's even worse than that. You don't see the Falcon when Rey says its a piece of garbage and drags Finn towards the quadjumper, so you're left with the momentary feeling that the movie might establish itself with a proper identity and then NO MOTHERFUCKER, MILLENNIUM FALCON, NOSTALGIA FOREVER!

Thats a different movies fakeout about the falcon. They do it twice, once in each JJ film, because JJ Abrams is a fraud and Disney assembled some very bad people to steer the project

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Barudak posted:

They do it twice, once in each JJ film, because JJ Abrams is a fraud and Disney assembled some very bad people to steer the project

poetry, rhymes, etc