Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

:gritty:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/HellsKitchenFOX/status/1233406526607548423?s=20

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Finally gently caress

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
I'm intrigued that it'll be at the HK restaurant. I've been there twice and really enjoyed it. Food is excellent.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Hijinks Ensue posted:

My God, the finale of 24 Hours to Hell and Back was scraping the bottom of the barrel. First the drunkard tumbleweed-head manager and the kitchen with a single burner and a giant toaster, to an incompetent moron who can't even memorize the details of one dish.

The single burner was awesome.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
So when the drunk fuckup at Bears' Den did his follow-up interview, it looked like he was possibly working at Home Depot, which is amazing for a guy who definitely should not be driving a forklift.

The other thing, when the camera's on him talking, look at the whiteboard behind him on the left. It says something like "Call for historic Gary Ramsee furniture!!" and then a phone number that they blurred out. That was pretty clever of him.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

So when the drunk fuckup at Bears' Den did his follow-up interview, it looked like he was possibly working at Home Depot, which is amazing for a guy who definitely should not be driving a forklift.

The other thing, when the camera's on him talking, look at the whiteboard behind him on the left. It says something like "Call for historic Gary Ramsee furniture!!" and then a phone number that they blurred out. That was pretty clever of him.

That guy felt like a Tim Robinson character

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Ramsay makes fun of the CTX oven (lol: he called it a "toaster" :jerkbag:) but if you want to get consistent food and pay cooks less than $12/hour - it's the only way to do it. Most of these concepts would survive if he front-loaded all of the mise-en-place to prep and had the line be scoop and serve onto a conveyor belt oven.
:shrug:

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
What I found odd was the designer's choice to go with a "rustic" look to appeal to students.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

That face

https://twitter.com/GordonRamsay/status/1246453710491770883?s=20

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

As someone who had a child at the age of 30, having a child at the age of 50 is scary as poo poo.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Invalid Validation posted:

As someone who had a child at the age of 30, having a child at the age of 50 is scary as poo poo.

I'm sure it will be hell on the nanny... :nallears:

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
Looks like Gordon is on Masterchef Australia this week. I didn't know it's all returnees.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I'm sure it will be hell on the nanny... :nallears:

I'm sure something will be on the nanny.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
It's no hell, but it does make sense Gordon is gonna be more on Youtube (with actual new youtube content and not simple rehash of old shows) with the pandemic, compared to before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQallQyxAfw

Popoto fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Apr 19, 2020

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

He works like 23 hours a day he’s probably going nuts right now.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

SpannerX posted:

Looks like Gordon is on Masterchef Australia this week. I didn't know it's all returnees.

Came here for this, Gordon week was just great. I love not-yelling Gordon almost as much as I love yelling Gordon.

The MCAU judges are all new but the contestants are familiar so it works out. And 2/3 of the judges don't even suck! But since most of the contestants actually have professional experience at this point, it's almost like Masterchef meets Top Chef.

Also, (news) apparently Ben Ungermann got into even more legal trouble recently, so he was removed from the competition a few weeks ago. Putting two and two together I think that means he does quite well, which is a shame because that chicken foot caramel was simply inspired.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Did anybody manage to watch that entire Twenty Four Hours To Hell And Back: Save Our City: Flood Edition cause gently caress me I couldn’t do it

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Endless Trash posted:

Did anybody manage to watch that entire Twenty Four Hours To Hell And Back: Save Our City: Flood Edition cause gently caress me I couldn’t do it

I did. Obviously it had a very different vibe than the usual "Gordon yells at donkeys while also saving marriages" format the show usually takes. Also there's the foreboding knowledge that everyone featured in the show is probably proper hosed by COVID-19.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
I watched it. I found it weird how, at the beginning, they introduced this one kid as the store manager who barely survived the flood. Then he never showed up again.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Endless Trash posted:

My wife and I did, because we live near Ellicott City and have been there a few times. It's only the second 24 Hours I've seen and I don't care for the show - I really only enjoy the older Kitchen Nightmares stuff, and even then it's a guilty pleasure, but had to tune in for the local stuff. Seemed to be pretty much Extreme Makeover Town Edition. Meh.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I hope we are still getting the new season of HK? :ohdear:

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

those are filmed in a couple of weeks so almost certainly

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

SHVPS4DETH posted:

those are filmed in a couple of weeks so almost certainly

that's impossible when the contestants see their family in the last episodes they're always crying and bawling as if they had been sequestered for a year. that is PROOF it's at least 24 months of production! real drama for real tv!

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Hell's Kitchen should be fine. Masterchef had to be shut down due to Covid.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

They advertised new seasons of 24 Hours (This Tuesday!), Hell's Kitchen, and Masterchef during this special.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Popoto posted:

that's impossible when the contestants see their family in the last episodes they're always crying and bawling as if they had been sequestered for a year. that is PROOF it's at least 24 months of production! real drama for real tv!

I mean not to defend them but I heard* (second hand) that they make them stay up all night and ply them with alcohol and cigarettes and kind of break them down to maximize drama, so by the end of those couple weeks you would probably be kind of relieved and emotional.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

hanales posted:

I mean not to defend them but I heard* (second hand) that they make them stay up all night and ply them with alcohol and cigarettes and kind of break them down to maximize drama, so by the end of those couple weeks you would probably be kind of relieved and emotional.

That sounds like a normal after hours in any restaurant.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

I've found some interviews that say the filming period takes six weeks, and is fairly high pressure throughout.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

hanales posted:

Oh yeah, that I could believe too. It’s either they manipulate the watchers, or the contestants themselves through social engineering.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Been watching some episodes on and off, quarantine giving me time. I've stumbled upon some here and there I had never seen (just watched Dillon's/Purnima and, lol wow).

I was wondering: does anyone know which owners/chefs have been able to have the best turnaround? Not just for the shoot, but in the years after. People that had actual talent/skills but needed the jolt to wake up. I know that most just crash down and fail anyway, either because too far in the poo poo financial wise or lack of self-criticism from the owner(s), but I'm sure there must have been some. Most reviews I've seen for past restaurants that managed to stay open where basically "things went alright after the shoot, restaurant sold to new owners/new commerce blabla". I'm just curious about which could have become the miracle star out of this.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
This site will tell you which ones are still open, and of those, you can look at the notes or google reviews to see which fit your standards for a real turnaround

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Last I had heard of Peter from Peter's, he was "bug food in south Jersey" :ohdear:

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
It's so sad watching Masterchef Australia and not getting to see them all hug and high 5 each other like they want to - but at least it's still airing. I also don't get all the hate against Poh. I adore her. I understand she gets a lot of air time but maybe she is just the most interesting and most frazzled of them all?

When it first started I didn't know it was all returning people and I saw Tessa and thought "Uggghh a bunch more blonde women that I can't tell apart, just like last season." - Glad to see I was wrong because I have been able to tell everyone apart this season.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

nunsexmonkrock posted:

It's so sad watching Masterchef Australia and not getting to see them all hug and high 5 each other like they want to - but at least it's still airing. I also don't get all the hate against Poh. I adore her. I understand she gets a lot of air time but maybe she is just the most interesting and most frazzled of them all?

Poh's back ? Cool ! Having a season of returnees is probably a good idea while breaking in a new set of judges after ten years.

I'm pretty sure MC Australia takes as many weeks to shoot as it does to air, with as many hours as they air a week shooting at a faster-than-air pace would be murder.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I kinda wish they'd air some international MC here, instead they're just rerunning 2 year old episodes of Hell's Kitchen and 24 hours to hell and back :negative:

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

mllaneza posted:

Poh's back ? Cool ! Having a season of returnees is probably a good idea while breaking in a new set of judges after ten years.

I'm pretty sure MC Australia takes as many weeks to shoot as it does to air, with as many hours as they air a week shooting at a faster-than-air pace would be murder.

It was episode 20-something or 30 recently when they initiated the distancing rules. And yes Poh is back. And I like the new judges, still miss the old and George's sweaty head but they are great imho.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 20:39 on May 27, 2020

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpOt6_ghDug

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

mllaneza posted:

Sorry for old but

Ben Ungermann (lol I know) did an interview before the most recent season about filming conditions. It sounds like the whole process takes the better part of a year, long enough that everybody gets small-but-reasonable stipends.

I think this year was different since so many of them have careers and restaurants now, they had to be able to do their jobs to a degree. Simon also said that he and Callum got to have their wives with them at their apartment.

And they must also have been able to go out since Ben got arrested for sexual assault against a minor during filming. Yikeseroo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
When is this loving show coming back???