Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.

ScolopaxMinor posted:

I'm probably going to start on HL: Alyx today. I've been waiting to get used to VR to try it, so I've mostly been playing around in Beat Saber, VRChat, and H3VR.

I'm staying at my parents during quarantine, and my brothers are also here from out of town for a birthday. I hooked up the vr in one room. One of my brothers became obsessed with HL Alyx and is trying to finish it before he leaves.

It took me awhile, but I finally rma'ed my index controller. I'm weird about contacting folks. The left controller had tracking issues, and the thumbstick and pad where funky. They sent me a message the next day that they are shipping new ones, and they will give me labels for the old ones. Valve is good people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

RFC2324 posted:

I still do this kind of thing constantly. putting the controller down on a table that wasn't real is my best

I’ve also done the thing a few times in like Pokerstars where I put the controller down to take a drink and then reached for my cards without picking the controller up and had a weird moment of brain disconnect

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003
I have definitely tried to drop my controller onto a virtual chair next to me that wasnt, you know, actually there. More than once.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

AndrewP posted:

Am I correct in that you can't play Oculus games this way?

Oculus store games work just fine with Virtual Desktop.

And I'm with the people who find low-fidelity environments weirdly more immersive than higher fidelity stuff. I think it's because the blatant artificiality lets my brain just accept the world on its own terms, while stuff that's trying to be photo-realistic keeps showing the areas where it isn't quite working. Similar to the whole argument about IK being immersive or not, it mostly comes down to whether fidelity or consistency makes a bigger difference to your immersion, and the answer seems to be different for different people.

sethsez fucked around with this message at 01:34 on May 18, 2020

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Turin Turambar posted:

Uh
https://twitter.com/ashleycacioppo/...483507832020992

I almost wish VR was that immersive for me, that the effect was so strong that would make me totally forget I'm in my bedroom in a normal flat.

My first time in the VR intro app, I almost leaned on the table with the stuff to try out on it.

The next weekend, I took the Quest to my mom to let her and my sis try it. Sure enough, I put my mom on the VR intro app, she enjoyed it and stuff, and then put one of the controllers on the "table" to take off the headset... luckily she had very thick carpet.

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
Am I nuts or does revive have terrible performance? I've got an r5 3600, 16 gb of 3200 MHz RAM and an RTX 2070 but I still drop frames like a madman in Lone Echo and Stormland (probably the only two games I would ever want from Oculus). I assume it's because it has to go through like at least three different pieces of software before getting to the headset. Is this normal? Settings do not really make a difference.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
How does Virtual Desktop compare to something free like ALVR?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Gort posted:

How does Virtual Desktop compare to something free like ALVR?

I did really in depth tests with through the lens latency photos a while back if you hit the question mark on my username. ALVR at the time was a few frames of latency faster, but Virtual Desktop still felt better because the slicing tech they use makes it feel smoother than it is. It crashed several times on Tetris Effect though. Really it probably still depends on your equipment (RTX vs GTX and choice of router) and the person beholding. You can always try VD for an hour and refund it if you prefer ALVR or can't tell the difference.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

My experience with ALVR was pretty bad, because there were several games (well, just 3, but I had only tried six so 50% in a way) that wouldn't map properly the controllers. I opened a ticket in the author's Github but he only behaved like a mule, stating he was doing his job correctly and it was obviously those game's fault for doing weird poo poo with the controllers. If it was only one game it would have been an acceptable answer, but when it happens the same in several, it's time to do a workaround in your code.

By the way, this is cool (TM)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKFI-slmU0I

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.oculus.com/blog/celebrating-the-one-year-anniversary-of-oculus-quest-and-rift-s/

quote:

Today we’re announcing that just a few days shy of Quest’s first anniversary, people have spent more than $100M on Quest content. During last month’s Facebook: Game Developers Showcase, we announced that more than 20 titles have surpassed the $1M revenue mark on Quest alone. Now, we’re thrilled to share that more than 10 titles have generated over $2M in revenue on Quest since we started shipping last year

Next update hand tracking will get out of the 'experimental apps' ghetto, these apps will be updated at the end of the month to implement it:

quote:

Elixir: Explore an unstable alchemy lab to obtain new and powerful hands, cast spells, mix potions, and poke a nauseated dragon. All of which will have an—unexpected—effect on the anatomy of your fingers, and it’s nobody’s fault but your own.
The Curious Tale of the Stolen Pets: Help your grandfather solve the mystery of the stolen pets by exploring wonderful miniature worlds crafted from the ground up for VR. Every world is unique, full of interactions and colorful life.
Waltz of the Wizard: An experience that lets you feel what it’s like to have magical powers! Combine arcane ingredients into a cauldron, unleashing creative or destructive wizardry upon a fully interactive world designed to feel believable.
Two award-winning immersive experiences are launching as the Cinematic Narratives Set, both with hand tracking enabled on Quest. Featuring the voice of Colin Farrell, Gloomy Eyes tells the story of a zombie kid and a mortal girl who fall in love, forging a deep connection that not even the most powerful man in town can destroy. The Line portrays a world of miniatures where routine is paramount and everything is always the same—until it’s not. Get your hands on these interactive films May 28.

Also
https://www.oculus.com/blog/keep-groovin-20-new-maps-coming-soon-to-beat-saber-in-free-update/
https://www.oculus.com/blog/introducing-the-ability-to-post-to-select-facebook-groups-with-your-oculus-username/

And remote work apps

quote:

Immersed helps optimize your focus and productivity, whether solo or collaborating with your team, by immersing you in a distraction-free VR workspace. People can connect Immersed wirelessly to their Oculus Go or Quest to their computer to access up to five additional virtual screens, which can be multi-screen-shared with peers. Colleagues can teleport into the same space to collaborate and even whiteboard together. Planned updates include the ability to connect your computers to your headset simultaneously, workspace customization, presentation mode, team/user-access management, workflow-integration, and more. Immersed is coming to the Oculus Store on Quest this summer.
Spatial is a VR/AR collaboration platform that allows people to work across distance as if they were in the same room, without the need for video conferencing or work travel. “We’ve seen a massive uptick in customer demand from prosumers and companies of all shapes and sizes who are having to rethink business models as they navigate a new and unknown territory,” says Spatial CEO and Co-Founder Anand Agarawala. “Connectedness has never been more needed than it is today—on both a practical, productivity level but also helping us feel closer to our coworkers, colleagues, or friends. With Spatial we can feel like we’re in the same room again working side by side, instantly changing the dynamic of any meeting.” Look for Spatial to hit the Oculus Store in the coming months.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

sethsez posted:

Oculus store games work just fine with Virtual Desktop.

Huh. SteamVR and Steam games work for me, but when I try to do Oculus games it can't detect a headset.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

AndrewP posted:

Huh. SteamVR and Steam games work for me, but when I try to do Oculus games it can't detect a headset.

You may need to update to the latest version, that support was added in a recent-ish update.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

So final verdict, Virtual Desktop is very cool but I guess between my router and less than state of the art PC specs, it's just a little too wobbly to really be able to use. One day hopefully.

Started Alyx via Link and so far it's just really good. Feels very solid and without the normal VR jank I'm used to, levels are well thought out, some truly interesting (and gross) things in the world to examine.

I will say that I haven't gotten to any real enemies yet and I'm not 100% sure I'm gonna be able to handle headcrabs.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I know at this point theres nothing special about all these refined vision systems detecting an object, but christ if that still doesn't seem like magic.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Can't wait to start getting Facebook ads for a new gamer chair when my Quest detects that my current chair is broken, or something.
Truly future is now.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

AndrewP posted:

Check the Games tab inside the virtual desktop hud. It should have picked up all your Oculus/SteamVR games and you launch it from there.

You can also right click on the VD icon in the windows notification area and use the inject game option to manually pick the game’s executable if all else fails.

That last bit is how you can force supported Steam games to launch in Oculus mode instead of OpenVR btw. It’s pretty clunky but if it works you CAN more or less automate the injection by making a shortcut to the VD streamer and then adding the path to your game at the end of the shortcut’s path to the streamer. Useful for stuff like DolphinVR.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Saints and Sinners is amazing, but what part of the watch actually... tells the time? I was exploring for the first time and thought I had plenty of time, then got absolutely overwhelmed. It was obvious by the point the music started up, but I thought the beeps beforehand were from those little motion detecting robot toys.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Turin Turambar posted:

Next update hand tracking will get out of the 'experimental apps' ghetto, these apps will be updated at the end of the month to implement it:

If hand tracking works well that'll push me over the edge and I'll have to get a Quest. My older daughter ducks into the Rift S every now and then just to have a look around but she can't figure out the controllers yet. Watching them touch things in VR with their hands would be too cute to pass up.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Turin Turambar posted:

And remote work apps

quote:

Immersed helps optimize your focus and productivity, whether solo or collaborating with your team, by immersing you in a distraction-free VR workspace.

How the hell do marketers think it's realistic to expect people using VR headsets for extended periods? I get vr face after like 20 minutes, not to mention headaches if I continue.

dromer
Aug 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Merijn posted:

How the hell do marketers think it's realistic to expect people using VR headsets for extended periods? I get vr face after like 20 minutes, not to mention headaches if I continue.

All it takes is another $100 in quest mods to make the headset suitable for long term use!

For what it's worth the two comfort mods I use (counterweight with a 3D printed mount and a bandana as a makeshift forehead strap) make the quest comfortable enough to use for extended periods. I'm thinking about getting a halo strap mod for it though, because the default support straps do not fit my head super well

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer
Does it have an IPD/eye distance adjustment? I was getting eye strain after I didn't notice it got bumped and was set way too narrow

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Merijn posted:

I think a lot of them are looking ahead to the next generation of PC headsets and expecting a big improvement in long-term comfort; as dromer says there are already aftermarket modifications that improve it. If there were a high resolution, lightweight headset with a good halo strap I wouldn't see a problem with wearing it for hours at a time.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Dirt Rally 2.0 is the thread recommended VR driving sim, yeah? Because it’s on sale for $12.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think I posted almost the exact same thing a year or more ago so forgive me, but I've really got the bug to get into PCVR and I'm sure the game has changed a bit since then. Currently only have PSVR and really would like something better. What would be a place to start in looking for what my best options are? I'm going to need an entire setup not just the headset. What I'm really looking for more than anything is better visual fidelity and a clearer picture. better tracking, controllers and all that is expected from pretty much anything over PSVR so that's really not a huge concern for me. Every other headset seems to offer a step up from the drat move controllers. I mostly just want VR that looks better than low detail and blurriness of PSVR, which is why I am wary of the Quest.

The Index seems like what I really want. I'd even consider the hefty price tag, but the only issue is having to buy a computer for it as well, I'm probably looking at at least 2 grand? Maybe more right? How does Rift stack up these days? Is it a bad idea to just buy a VR ready PC? I'd really rather not build a PC if I don't have to. Is the index really a big enough step up to justify the price?

Also, it seems like these drat things are hard to find atm. Rifts are all aftermarket and marked up like 50% atm :sigh: and it takes months to get an index? drat.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 00:07 on May 19, 2020

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

No? I’m pretty sure it’s the recommended RALLY sim, but iracing and AC, ACC etc are better driving sims

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

No? I’m pretty sure it’s the recommended RALLY sim, but iracing and AC, ACC etc are better driving sims

Not having a wheel, mind you. Thought I’d seen this one as a fav for controller based driving or something. Hmm, maybe I’m misremembering.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Bad Munki posted:

Dirt Rally 2.0 is the thread recommended VR driving sim, yeah? Because it’s on sale for $12.

Well worth it for $12, but it does have a lot of DLC at this point. For regular track stuff basically every modern sim racing game supports VR pretty well by now, though Assetto Corsa is a bit ropey.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Bad Munki posted:

Not having a wheel, mind you. Thought I’d seen this one as a fav for controller based driving or something. Hmm, maybe I’m misremembering.

It's a fav because rally is more interesting than tarmac racing, though that's very much a matter of taste. You missed a humble monthly a few months ago with it in.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

I think I posted almost the exact same thing a year or more ago so forgive me, but I've really got the bug to get into PCVR and I'm sure the game has changed a bit since then. Currently only have PSVR and really would like something better. What would be a place to start in looking for what my best options are? I'm going to need an entire setup not just the headset. What I'm really looking for more than anything is better visual fidelity and a clearer picture. better tracking, controllers and all that is expected from pretty much anything over PSVR so that's really not a huge concern for me. Every other headset seems to offer a step up from the drat move controllers. I mostly just want VR that looks better than low detail and blurriness of PSVR, which is why I am wary of the Quest.

The Index seems like what I really want. I'd even consider the hefty price tag, but the only issue is having to buy a computer for it as well, I'm probably looking at at least 2 grand? Maybe more right? How does Rift stack up these days? Is it a bad idea to just buy a VR ready PC? I'd really rather not build a PC if I don't have to. Is the index really a big enough step up to justify the price?

Also, it seems like these drat things are hard to find atm. Rifts are all aftermarket and marked up like 50% atm :sigh: and it takes months to get an index? drat.

The Quest is pretty awesome, mostly due to it's versatility and it's ability to go wireless (even for PCVR) but image quality is definitely one of the areas that isn't it's strongest even though it still compares favorably to a PSVR. If you want the best it's the Index, but supply is non-existent so tracking a set down might take some time. Others might recommend Rift-S, which is a fairly good value headset, but I feel it's something of a dead end. Might be easier to get a hold of though and it's visual quality is quite high.

You can get a pre-built PC if you really want to, but there's almost always a premium. A good baseline is an AMD Ryzen 5 3600, 16GB of reasonably fast RAM (3200-3600mhz), a Nvidia Geforce RTX 2070 and an SSD of some kind. If you want something better, you only really need to scale up the GPU.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

So the quest can actually link to a PC and I could play from the whole library via that route? I didn't even know that tbh. I thought it was just a standalone. Yeah the wireless would be a huge plus in that case.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I keep my OP reasonably well updated, it covers Quest PCVR streaming a bit as well as it's limitations and annoyances.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Reading through it now. Very helpful. Thanks. Sorry I always assume Op's are years out of date haha.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The Quest is even easier to use as a PC headset now that the charging cable it comes with can also be used for Oculus Link (provided your PC has a USB-C port or you buy an adapter).

tensai
May 8, 2007

Just trying to keep my boyfriend away from that redheaded harlot.

veni veni veni posted:

Reading through it now. Very helpful. Thanks. Sorry I always assume Op's are years out of date haha.

I was in the same boat as you. I have the psvr, but I unplugged it months ago for a remodel and never bothered to put it back together. Getting the camera right and charging up the damned wands killed my enthusiasm for it.

Then I paid a bit of scapler fee for an Oculus and it's like my first time all over again. I'm looking forward to using it and love the controllers. It still has some screendoor effect and the straps don't seem to like my head, but it's completely reinvigorated my interest in vr. I find myself installing janky rear end vr mods for older games just to check them out.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Did you go with the Quest of Rift?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Haven't seen the screen door and don't want to find out if it's something I can't unsee.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

TraderStav posted:

Haven't seen the screen door and don't want to find out if it's something I can't unsee.

from what I have been told its mainly noticeable if you use a higher res and then god back(like trying an Index then going back to your CV1) but I'm with you and have never noticed it

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

In my experience it's something you notice when you first turn on the headset and are faffing about in menus, but then stop noticing when actually playing games.

tensai
May 8, 2007

Just trying to keep my boyfriend away from that redheaded harlot.

veni veni veni posted:

Did you go with the Quest of Rift?

Quest. I paid about $450 for a 64gig on a super lucky eBay grab.

Agreed on the screendoor. I see it at the power on but it quickly disappears. I just wish vr games had better anti aliasing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

RFC2324 posted:

from what I have been told its mainly noticeable if you use a higher res and then god back(like trying an Index then going back to your CV1) but I'm with you and have never noticed it

Screen door was obvious on the OG Vive and now I don't see it on the Index. For me, the bar to clear for clarity is between the Vive and Index.
That said once I was playing something in the Vive it went away, but I don't even notice it to begin with in an Index.