Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Aphrodite posted:

Buy online and not a million dollars tend to be mutually exclusive.
Is buying in person even an option right now, though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Have you heard about the Detolf from Ikea?

Depending on where you live, you might be able to get fairly inexpensive to get delivered.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/search/products/?q=detolf

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

RevKrule posted:

Have you heard about the Detolf from Ikea?

Depending on where you live, you might be able to get fairly inexpensive to get delivered.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/search/products/?q=detolf
Literally the only thing I have heard of, yes. Is it really the only option? Part of the reason I was asking is that it seemed so odd I could only find the one choice. There's gotta be a market for this, right? Is everyone using Ikea?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It’s because a detolf is like $60 and any other glass siding case is 5 times that.

CapnAndy posted:

Probably not, but unless you’ve got a place that does local delivery the prices online are still steep.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

CapnAndy posted:

Literally the only thing I have heard of, yes. Is it really the only option? Part of the reason I was asking is that it seemed so odd I could only find the one choice. There's gotta be a market for this, right? Is everyone using Ikea?

Detolf is the main one most go to that looks the best out of the box. I don't like the Detolf myself because of the dimensions I need for my room. Instead I use IKEA billy but I have lots of mods that cost extra to make it look like a display case. I've seen some really nice cases built using IKEA pax closet system they have but requires mods as well. So anything outside of the Detolf is going to cost extra money and effort.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CapnAndy posted:

Can you guys recommend me a display case that is at least reasonably bookshelf-sized (as in is the size of a free-standing bookshelf, not fits on one), I can buy online, and ideally isn't a million god damned dollars? I think I'm about done with the "just put them on every flat surface you can find" philosophy.

An Ikea Billy Bookcase with glass doors?

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

CapnAndy posted:

I'm using Billy book cases from Ikea. Not sure what your budget is, but they're the best bang for your buck bookshelves out there.

When buying the shelves the doors come separately. I bought shelves and then added the doors when I could afford them.

Please forgive the chaos of the shelves. I'm in the process up updating my whole display.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Yeah I have the majority of my figures on a dedicated bookshelf right now and I don't like it; the wood blocking all the light and the view from every angle but dead on in front is not working for me.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

That's actually my biggest regret with the shelves I got; I wish I went with the white ones. The black certainly absorbs a lot of the color.

Adding some LED strips is on my to do list.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah if you’re going to a Walmart or Target. Which is probably what you want if you want some cheap shelves for putting things on. I got one for like 30 bucks. It’s fine.

But ya know, be safe, wear gloves and a mask of course. Wash yo hands too.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

CapnAndy posted:

as someone with six detolfs(rhyno can probably attest to them as well, surely he's posted his shot of The Room before in this thread), they're fantastic, easy to assemble, sturdy, and can hold everything short of Fortress Maximus. And even then he'll fit if you remove one of the shelves.

one technique I use for mine is using the boxes of figures as shelving. it works surprisingly well for a lot of small-to-medium sized boxes. :v:

I don't have a recent shot of all the detolfs currently since I'm in the middle of major cleaning/reorganizing furniture/going through literally every box in my room so it's a goddamn mess, but here's some old posts showing detolfs in action and a post with some stepped display shelves that fit perfectly in each detolf space and are great for action figures and dirt cheap:

Captain Invictus posted:

Man these Detolfs are great. Can't wait for the stepped shelving to show up so I can more visibly display some of them though, and possible put even more in.

Displayed as such, horizontally:

MP carbots, MP01 Optimus/PG RX-78 and dudes, "heavy firepower" guys(Skids, movie Hound, Roadblock, etc)

Master Grade-scale SRW model kits, Leader-class TFs and dudes, TF dudes

SRW gunpla, TF dudes, TF dudes

Gundam gunpla, bootleg transforming toys and a Lego MOC I made, AOE Dinobots + Evasion Prime

(random stuff on the top, Dogs Playing Poker, Figma Samus, Revoltech Megatron, some actually-playable custom artwork Bad Atari Games made by a goon, gangster Michelangelo with a shotgun + uzi, Troll Raphael, a weird light-up translucent blue lawn gnome a friend gave to me)

Captain Invictus posted:

Sure.

Megatron is excited to see you.

Captain Invictus posted:

Got the display shelves and they're pretty awesome. Definitely makes things more visible, for sure. Rearranged a few dudes as well.

It was these shelves, they're two bucks off each on amazon, too.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0036OQU56?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

but also I went digging for this post just for you so BE GRATEFUL:

catch22 posted:

New display case!

it cost him $600 in the end. Pretty good display case, but also, that's 10 Detolfs instead.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Okay, gently caress it. Ikea does curbside pickup and driving half an hour to get there sounds like a nice time right now. Guess I'll get me some detolfs.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They come in long boxes since the sides are one piece glass, so if you can take a truck or a van that would be a good idea.

A car probably needs to have seats that can open into the trunk to fit.

They come in 2 boxes each:

quote:

Width: 15 ¾ "
Height: 1 ½ "
Length: 63 ½ "
Weight: 43 lb 7 oz
Package(s): 1

Width: 14 "
Height: 1 ½ "
Length: 65 "
Weight: 37 lb 1 oz
Package(s): 1

You wouldn't want to show up there and have a stack of them that won't fit.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Here's my "prototype" case made from a Billy. It's kinda expensive for what it is but I needed to use the billy for reasons and I like the storage on the bottom with all the figures at waist level and higher.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

I personally prefer the white billy bookshelves -- I like having figures displayed next to related things, like manga and comics. And plants. I'm not personally a fan of displays that are 100% figures. Also I have a smaller collection than a lot of collectors. But if being limited to front view bothers you, yeah, detolf is the way to go.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

CapnAndy posted:

Okay, gently caress it. Ikea does curbside pickup and driving half an hour to get there sounds like a nice time right now. Guess I'll get me some detolfs.
poo poo, only a half hour? the one closest to me is like an hour and a half. I guess if it's that close you could pick just one up and see how you feel about it.

there's also this method of just laying them on their side and stacking them(with optional strip lights), don't put the small shelves in obviously, and then you've got a nice long single glass rectangle display case. I'm definitely thinking of doing that, and buying some hardware to modify it so they're all connected along the side via metal scaffolding so that they're seriously sturdy and reinforced, plus wall mounts.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I love the art gallery style bench in the middle.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
:golfclap:

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Star Guarded posted:

I personally prefer the white billy bookshelves -- I like having figures displayed next to related things, like manga and comics. And plants. I'm not personally a fan of displays that are 100% figures. Also I have a smaller collection than a lot of collectors. But if being limited to front view bothers you, yeah, detolf is the way to go.

Are you me?

From a few months back:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Awesome! Got the Marvel Legends Punisher Iron Man helmet and the Captain America 80th shield (and a little Vegeta to get free shipping) for 150 and some change.

Apparently Gamestop is having a sale on the collectible stuff, but the only store with the shield is too far to drive, so I just ordered from another website having a sale. Came out like 2 bucks cheaper, even with the Vegeta.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Oh hell yeah

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Nice. I'm not even that much of a Transformer fan, but I've always wanted a Devastator since I was a kid.

:discourse:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If you can get a combiner wars devastator for a reasonable price, it's a phenomenal figure combined. Individually, the constructicons are....okay.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Detolfs do indeed rule.

Sadly we have water entering the basement so I am packing all my crap up in anticipation of a major waterproofing job.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

CapnAndy posted:

Can you guys recommend me a display case that is at least reasonably bookshelf-sized (as in is the size of a free-standing bookshelf, not fits on one), I can buy online, and ideally isn't a million god damned dollars? I think I'm about done with the "just put them on every flat surface you can find" philosophy.

I use IKEA KALLAX shelves and each compartment is themed.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Well as it turns out all the Ikeas by me are closed For The Duration and not offering curbside pickup or anything, and like fun I'm paying literally double the price for delivery (that's estimated to arrive on July 16th for good measure!!!!), so so much for that quarantine project I guess.

velocirapstar
Oct 8, 2018

Get Confident, Stupid!
Has there ever been a decent figure released of Grifter (or any of the WildC.A.T.S) aside from the early 90's line primarily based on their cartoon?

I get that he and the 'C.A.T.S were very much of the 90's/X-Men rip-off aesthetic but I always liked his character and figured with X-Men Blue/Gold not long ago getting attention, maybe someone at DC would want to make one.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I highly endorse starting your display collection with a 1950's curio your grandmother left you that weighs a poo poo-ton, then add a detolf next to it, then get a different wood with glass door bookshelf for cheap off of craigslist that has a real odd wood scent inside of it and just set it on top of a more modern cabinet on wheels you took from your office because after 20 years at one location they're letting the lease run out and everyone will be working from home forever even after corona is under control. This way, absolutely nothing matches and you look like a schizophrenic who just also happens to like comic books and star wars.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

davebo posted:

I highly endorse starting your display collection with a 1950's curio your grandmother left you that weighs a poo poo-ton, then add a detolf next to it, then get a different wood with glass door bookshelf for cheap off of craigslist that has a real odd wood scent inside of it and just set it on top of a more modern cabinet on wheels you took from your office because after 20 years at one location they're letting the lease run out and everyone will be working from home forever even after corona is under control. This way, absolutely nothing matches and you look like a schizophrenic who just also happens to like comic books and star wars.

This has been my strategy. Cruise the estate sales and you can get all kinds of wacky rear end old curio cabinets for cheap.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

davebo posted:

:same: only it’s a giant hutch/cabinet my grandfather built that’s totally impractical for displays flanked by IKEA Billys on either side.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

velocirapstar posted:

Has there ever been a decent figure released of Grifter (or any of the WildC.A.T.S) aside from the early 90's line primarily based on their cartoon?

I get that he and the 'C.A.T.S were very much of the 90's/X-Men rip-off aesthetic but I always liked his character and figured with X-Men Blue/Gold not long ago getting attention, maybe someone at DC would want to make one.

NO, and it's crazy that nobody has made a Grifter. He has such a drat "toy-etic" design with the mask and trench coat, or the later versions by Travis Charest and Dustin Nguyen that had him in more basic tactical black with straps and holsters but kept the mask, sometimes with night vision goggles over it. I've wanted one for over 20 years.

I also always loved Spartan's classic red, white, and blue costume with the open-hair mask (later a Gambit-style "headsock") and jodhpurs, as well as the reflective silver business suit he wore as "Jack Marlowe" in Casey and Nguyen's Wildcats 3.0, one of my favorite comic runs ever. I'd be down for figures of all of those.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

NO, and it's crazy that nobody has made a Grifter. He has such a drat "toy-etic" design with the mask and trench coat, or the later versions by Travis Charest and Dustin Nguyen that had him in more basic tactical black with straps and holsters but kept the mask, sometimes with night vision goggles over it. I've wanted one for over 20 years.

I also always loved Spartan's classic red, white, and blue costume with the open-hair mask (later a Gambit-style "headsock") and jodhpurs, as well as the reflective silver business suit he wore as "Jack Marlowe" in Casey and Nguyen's Wildcats 3.0, one of my favorite comic runs ever. I'd be down for figures of all of those.

In a similar vein I would pay a good amount of money for modern high quality figures of Clownface and Panda Delgado from Body Bags, cause the figures Toybiz did back in the 90's, well they're really showing their age even for figures that are more than 20 years old

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I finally bought the SH Figuarts Crait Luke since Hasbro still hasn't bothered to make it and oh man I'd forgotten how great Figuarts are. I may have a problem because now I've won auctions for the Figuarts ANH R2 & 3PO and I kinda want the whole cast since I already have ANH Han.

"Most of them are only 3x the price of a Black Series fig, it's practically a steal!", I say to myself as I weigh the pros and cons of spending stupid amounts of money on expensive toys. :shepicide:

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

drrockso20 posted:

In a similar vein I would pay a good amount of money for modern high quality figures of Clownface and Panda Delgado from Body Bags, cause the figures Toybiz did back in the 90's, well they're really showing their age even for figures that are more than 20 years old

I had to check, but those are from 2007. I still have and love the Madman from that Legendary Comic Book Heroes line, and he has held up surprisingly well.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I had to check, but those are from 2007. I still have and love the Madman from that Legendary Comic Book Heroes line, and he has held up surprisingly well.

Could have sworn they were a lot older, they definitely don't look like figures from 2007, Panda especially is rather primitive looking

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/125331

The Revoltech All Might is up for pre-order on BBTS. It looks so great.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's a good bit cheaper on the import sites, but that September release date could still be in shipping panic.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
how are revoltechs nowadays? I've got a whole bunch of the ones from early on, the last one I ever bought was when the Super Galaxy Gurren Lagann came out, which was like 20-30 bucks I think? that all might is triple the price, so are they aiming for figma quality now, or are they still subpar compared to figma?

like, for 20-30 bucks this was a fantastic figure:

but as neat as the joints were, the sockets would very quickly become loose and the revoltech joint pegs wouldn't hold firm anymore(particularly wrists when holding large weapons directly outward, the revoltech joint would stay strong but the peg holes themselves would get loose), so have they dramatically increased the quality of pretty much everything in the figures now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Aphrodite posted:

It's a good bit cheaper on the import sites, but that September release date could still be in shipping panic.

I don't think I ever realized how much BBTS marks up their import stuff until now. The All Might is like $20 cheaper from AmiAmi, but the FF7Remake PAK figures are like $40 cheaper.