Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

PetraCore posted:

I appreciate going balls-to-the-wall dedicated in a room for fun interactive gaming with your friends, it's the rest of the house that makes me go 'so they were just like that, huh'.
Anyone who would dedicate a room to gaming to that degree is just like that, how much they express that is just a question of budget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I sleep in a big spaceship bed with m'lady

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
That's an above-ground pool installed as an in-ground pool, isn't it?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Dienes posted:

That's an above-ground pool installed as an in-ground pool, isn't it?

I'm also just wondering how you manage to have a pool in Pittsburgh.

But, well, we've been hunting for a place to rent (buying is basically impossible unless you're in the top 5% or so of earners), and you couldn't buy a place like that for much under CAD$1M. If we saw that on the rental market here for $2K/month, we'd jump at it. (And make some plans / negotiate with the landlord to cover up or change all the weird poo poo.)

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
"We got such a good deal on vinyl siding we shrunk the windows."

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Never mind, tried again and it worked.

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen
Our dear friend Mike Holmes must be pretty idle during this pandemic. He has posted a lot on Facebook lately. Most of it is the usual 5 tips for landscaping, or promos for his shows, and there have been some Facebook Live events. But he also has taken to posting the odd contruction fail photo, and his readers pile on and share theirs. I have compiled a small treasure trove. Apologies if you have seen any:

Looks good!

When you don't know how slip joints work

Typical previous owner surprise

Do you want leaks? I didn't think so.

Electrically insulated

How to damp install

Just put a nail in it. How bad? OK, two nails.

Route the current. You can only move two switches.

Hottub wiring out of sight. The homeowner attempted to remove the old pad and located this via arc.

"In" the box?

Sharing is caring

Another P.O. discovery

100A each I assume

Load bearing work box. Easily located by drywall screw in future.

You can have an A/C duct, or a structural header, your choice

I think that's a transformer in there

Universal fitment

You don't say

Makes a nice flash-of-light snack

Which third again?

More damp rating

Well I'm not drilling another hole for the ice maker water line

Pass me the tape, I'm out again.

Like and Follow for more unboxing videos

A splice? A junction? Let your imagination run wild

Electrical box archaeology

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
:drat:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

This whole post: https://imgur.com/gallery/mUFHQoQ

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

#1 and #2 were the first two things I encountered in this house. :gonk:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

mr.belowaverage posted:

Universal fitment

This one isn't the most egregious here but I'm particularly fascinated by it, because there's safety features in UK plugs that stop you from doing this, and you have to try quite hard to bypass it (including something like shoving a screwdriver into the earth pin hole on a live plug).

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Jaded Burnout posted:

This one isn't the most egregious here but I'm particularly fascinated by it, because there's safety features in UK plugs that stop you from doing this, and you have to try quite hard to bypass it (including something like shoving a screwdriver into the earth pin hole on a live plug).

The best part about this is that safety feature is actually making the horrible hack work better; in the picture there's nothing stuck in the earth pin, so the safety shields covering live and neutral will be trying to close, clamping down on the wires and keeping them from falling out.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Renaissance Robot posted:

The best part about this is that safety feature is actually making the horrible hack work better; in the picture there's nothing stuck in the earth pin, so the safety shields covering live and neutral will be trying to close, clamping down on the wires and keeping them from falling out.

Yerp! Some drat electrician is smug about that.

Mystery Steve
Nov 9, 2006
Fun Shoe
Another way is using another plug to ram them home, I had a neighbour who had two lamps in a single socket this way, however this was back in the early nineties before the live and neutral prongs had sleeves so he'd twist the cables round the base of the prongs.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Mystery Steve posted:

Another way is using another plug to ram them home, I had a neighbour who had two lamps in a single socket this way, however this was back in the early nineties before the live and neutral prongs had sleeves so he'd twist the cables round the base of the prongs.

These were recommended in the 70s and mandatory from '84, but the type of person to do that is I suppose the same type to keep hold of 20 year old non-standard plugs.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Jaded Burnout posted:

These were recommended in the 70s and mandatory from '84, but the type of person to do that is I suppose the same type to keep hold of 20 year old non-standard plugs.

I'm so so sorry to be the one to tell you this, but 1984 was not 20 years ago, it was 36 years ago. You're old.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

poo poo I wasn’t even alive when those plugs were banned. :j:

Mystery Steve
Nov 9, 2006
Fun Shoe

Facebook Aunt posted:

I'm so so sorry to be the one to tell you this, but 1984 was not 20 years ago, it was 36 years ago. You're old.

He was referring to a plug my neighbour had in early 1990 possibly being 20 years old or more as it predated British Standards introduced in 84.

Anyway, I always assumed it came about in the 90s as having to wire plugs on most electrical appliances was a thing until they made it mandatory that they come pre-wired in 1992, I imagine there was reduction in house fires and eletrocutions...

Being taught how to wire a plug in school and standing on one bearfoot was a rite of passage.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

I don't see Joe Rogan's sensory deprivation chamber in there.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Facebook Aunt posted:

Mystery Steve posted:

was referring to a plug my neighbour had in early 1990 possibly being 20 years old or more as it predated British Standards introduced in 84.

I am old, though.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Mystery Steve posted:

Being taught how to wire a plug in school and standing on one bearfoot was a rite of passage.

mandatory "hell yeah bear feet"

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

peanut posted:

mandatory "hell yeah bear feet"

Easy there. tiger

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Groverhouse is evolving!

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Why is the garage door so tall? It's a story and a half

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

The Glumslinger posted:

Why is the garage door so tall? It's a story and a half

RV?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Ice-cream van.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Maybe it's a fire station. I bet there's a fireman's pole inside somewhere.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Nenonen posted:

Maybe it's a fire station. I bet there's a fireman's pole inside somewhere.

Inside the tower, of course

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

No, see, it's permanent maintenance access to the dish. It's a feature!

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
If that were in my area I would absolutely buy that house.

Captain Toasted
Jan 3, 2009

I can’t believe it took this long for someone to point out the bong out in the open in the pink room

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

The real fuckup is the telescopic ladder IMO.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Unknown artist
Pretense
Painted steel, site-specific installation

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

locks only keep honest people out anyway :smuggo:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

HardDiskD posted:

locks only keep honest people out anyway :smuggo:

That one looks like it will keep doctors away

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dQJBBklpQQ

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Just out of frame: the 50m deep hole in that guy's floor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I think someone just hates bicycles.