Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
I just read "jumped onto" and "ran into" differently I guess. They're not the exact same thing to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

PizzaProwler posted:

See, now you've changed the narrative. In the original story your dog jumped on the guy, and he reacted in self-defense. In my eyes, you still suck. He had no way of knowing what the dog's intentions were.

I mean personally I didn't assume the dog leapt 6 feet in the air into a spinning dog missile flying tackle like Cujo. I was thinking more America's Funniest Home Videos sweep the leg style.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
In my case there are a few dogs around my area that I've had to learn to read. The next door neighbor has two or three small dogs that tend to be very territorial so if I ever go out into my back garden to weed and generally maintain it, the neighbors have to bring the dogs in or they just won't stop barking, they've never got used to me even after all the years I've lived here. However there is another neighbor down the street who has a very friendly dog, but it's quite a large one so when it came bounding towards me barking it was quite alarming at first, but now I know they are just wanting a fuss it's not that bad. It's still startling though.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

BioEnchanted posted:

In my case there are a few dogs around my area that I've had to learn to read. The next door neighbor has two or three small dogs that tend to be very territorial so if I ever go out into my back garden to weed and generally maintain it, the neighbors have to bring the dogs in or they just won't stop barking, they've never got used to me even after all the years I've lived here. However there is another neighbor down the street who has a very friendly dog, but it's quite a large one so when it came bounding towards me barking it was quite alarming at first, but now I know they are just wanting a fuss it's not that bad. It's still startling though.

I think the principle that annoys me is, like, the fact that I should feel startled or in any way affected by someone else's property. Whether it's that moment when a dog's bounding towards you and you don't know its intentions, or if you're just sat at home and next door's terrier is yapping away because someone walked past the house - it just pisses me off that my life is being adversely affected because of someone else's life choices.

I feel very similar about noisy cars/scooters , or when my next-door neighbour decides he's gonna spend an afternoon burning garden rubbish and (wtf?!) polystyrene.

Yes, I realise I sound like a dick, but hey it's the pet peeves thread!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I'm annoyed by people who provide a story, then angrily start adding details that probably should have been in the initial story when they don't get the reception they want.

Not that anyone here does that, just saying.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

If a dog I don't know runs up to me I pepper spray it because I can't read the dog's mind. If your dog is wandering around freely, you've already hosed up as a pet owner.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

BioEnchanted posted:

I read this as "there are a few dogs around my area that have learned to read" and I felt like Sam Neill pulling off his sunglasses in awe in Jurassic Park

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

KozmoNaut posted:

Brave is a turd and their crypto ad stuff is a scam.

Use Firefox, install Ublock Origin, Privacy Possum and Decentraleyes, go to about :config and change "privacy.firstparty.isolate" to true and "privacy.firstparty.isolate.restrict_opener_access" to false (the first one restricts all site resources and cookies etc. to only be visible to the originating domain itself and not to other sites, and the second one loosens the leash a little bit to allow cross-domain login flows). All of these are basically set and forget.

If you want to go even further, I can also recommend Cookie Autodelete and ClearURLs, but they are likely to break sites.

Thanks! I already had firefox with Ublock Origin rolling apparently, just never got around to switching over to it. I should try and give it a spin again.

The only experience I have with Brave is that it's worked pretty well on my phone, but yeah the whole ad-system they tout was something I was never going to interact with on any level.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

For me, a dog barking because it's bored or lonely and wants to say hi is totally ok and I will go say hi to it. But if you've got a dog that thinks it owns the footpath and nobody is allowed to walk there, gently caress you. Get your dog out of the front yard because you're being an arsehole by letting it out there.

Same in the street or a park. If your dog runs up to me because it's excited to meet new people, that's great. If your dog is barking and growling because it doesn't trust strangers then you shouldn't bring it to places where other people are.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
My dog is very loving and friendly and wants to meet new people, but he's also pretty big so when he goes bounding up to someone that doesn't know him they rightfully get pretty freaked out. Then is MO is to very gingerly go up for a sniff test before noping the gently caress out, backing off a few feet and barking at them. He doesn't growl or get his hackles up or anything but it's still a big dog barking at someone who might not be ok with that.

Makes it really kind of suck for new people to come over to our house. But he only ever seems to do this kind of thing when my wife or I are at home. Even when our friends come over to look after him while we have a date night or something he'll be kind of a dick until we leave then he snuggles up on the couch with whoever and is a perfect gentleman the rest of the evening.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I was at this park one time with a buddy. He has a wire terrier mix that's probably 15 or so lbs. I have my shepherd mix, she's 95.

His dog is an rear end in a top hat. Absolutely loses it's poo poo at dogs it doesn't know even if they're just idly walking by not paying him any attention. 3-4 times already it had happened at this point. For reference, my dog loves anyone and everyone and is Down To Play at all times. Our two dogs are good buds at this point and hang out a lot.

So we're sitting in the park a good bit away from anyone else, dogs just chilling when someone walks behind us and my buddies dog starts his thing, which startles my dog, who was sleeping and she hears him going nuts so she jumps up and barks a couple times but pretty much immediately calms down. The person looks me dead in the eye and goes "your dog seems really aggressive" and looks at my buddy with his dog, still barking and for fucks sake goes "oh but hes just a big tough guy isn't he" in a baby voice.

Moral of the story is people who act like little small dogs that bark and lose their poo poo aren't aggressive. My buddy knows his dog is and manages it as best he can but other people just laugh it off like its some silly thing. But if my dog barks it's a baby killer just because she's bigger. Yeah I realize she's a bigass dog that looks intimidating but fucks sake it gets on my nerves sometimes because she's a big dumb idiot sweetheart.

e: worth noting that both dogs were on leashes and at no point were within 15-20 feet of anyone else, so there was no real danger.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah, I mean there's definitely some room for consideration on all sides, especially since it was explicitly an off-leash trail (and I assume openly advertised as such; if this dude didn't actually have any reason to know there'd be dogs running free that changes the calculus a little too).

Ultimately though it's your job as your dog's owner to not let your dog become anyone else's problem. If you can't do that with your dog off its leash, don't let it off its leash.

He totally shouldn't have kicked your dog but panicking when a dog you know nothing about runs into you is not an unreasonable thing either.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Joey Freshwater posted:

Moral of the story is people who act like little small dogs that bark and lose their poo poo aren't aggressive. But if my dog barks it's a baby killer just because she's bigger.

That's really weird to me, because in my experience it's usually the other way around. Big dogs are usually friendly, it's the little ones that are antisocial and territorial.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

That's really weird to me, because in my experience it's usually the other way around. Big dogs are usually friendly, it's the little ones that are antisocial and territorial.

Yeah that's what I'm saying, but in my experience they get treated like "oh big guy so mean tee hee" instead of "your dog is an rear end in a top hat get it some training". Which is probably where it stems from. People think that because they're smaller dogs and you can just pick them up or whatever they don't need any real training.

Which yeah is broad strokes and all, like in the case of my buddy's dog - he's a rescue and was abused previously. Once you/other dogs get to know him he's a sweetheart but initial impressions is he's a tiny jerk. I get that not all small dogs are like that.

I just would like everyone to immediately understand that my dog is perfect in every way and I will not brook any negative judgement against her :colbert:

side note: the other day we were out in the park and I guess we walked past a tree that had a blue jays nest in it and one of the jays was dive bombing her and she thought it was trying to play and was doing this hopping around thing when it would dive at her :3:

Joey Freshwater has a new favorite as of 22:12 on May 18, 2020

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
I mean, for what it’s worth (and by no means do I believe that big dogs are all huge threats or whatever) I could easily overpower a 15 pound toy dog but would be terrified if a 100lb dog decided it wanted to gently caress up my day.

Maybe that plays into the reaction a bit? I dunno, that person was obviously crazy, but I tend to give bigger dogs I don’t know more of a berth than small dogs. Maybe I’m a dog bigot?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

sephiRoth IRA posted:

I mean, for what it’s worth (and by no means do I believe that big dogs are all huge threats or whatever) I could easily overpower a 15 pound toy dog but would be terrified if a 100lb dog decided it wanted to gently caress up my day.

Maybe that plays into the reaction a bit? I dunno, that person was obviously crazy, but I tend to give bigger dogs I don’t know more of a berth than small dogs. Maybe I’m a dog bigot?

I've gotten the "oh come now, they are but pups" reaction from my friends when I was nervous around their rescue pitbulls who were growling at the concept of my existence. Nobody will admit that their lil schnookums is objectively a huge scary animal.

But I've only ever been a pincushion for a little bichon-frise named Bridget so who knows.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Joey Freshwater posted:

People think that because they're smaller dogs and you can just pick them up or whatever they don't need any real training.
This is 99% of my problems with dogs in general. People don't want to train their dogs properly and then are surprised when people who aren't Dog People don't appreciate being jumped on/barked at/raced around/etc, or don't understand that their perfect angelic being of light might seem intimidating to someone not familiar with the dog(and who knows enough dogs are poorly trained that they don't believe the owner when they go FLUFFY IS HARMLESS TRUST ME HE'S JUST TRYING TO PLAY).

docbeard posted:

Yeah, I mean there's definitely some room for consideration on all sides, especially since it was explicitly an off-leash trail (and I assume openly advertised as such; if this dude didn't actually have any reason to know there'd be dogs running free that changes the calculus a little too).

Ultimately though it's your job as your dog's owner to not let your dog become anyone else's problem. If you can't do that with your dog off its leash, don't let it off its leash.

He totally shouldn't have kicked your dog but panicking when a dog you know nothing about runs into you is not an unreasonable thing either.
And this pretty much sums up my thoughts on the off-leash dog. You know your dog is just trying to play, but this guy doesn't know your dog or what it's intending to do to him. And it's an off-leash trail so he should have expected dogs running around, but dumbasses bring aggressive/poorly trained dogs to those a non-zero amount of the time so he can't trust that any given dog means him no harm.

e: I guess my overarching peeve is dog owners who don't take any responsibility for their pet and who think other people are the problem if they have any degree of negative response to their dog's behaviors. Sorry, your pitbull puppy chewing on people's shoes while they're wearing them isn't cute, and it will become a serious problem if you don't train your loving dog. Stop acting like other people are overreacting if they bring this up. (the family friends that did this thankfully surrendered the pup after realizing that maybe getting a young pitbull for their 80 year old grandma wasn't a great idea?)

Haifisch has a new favorite as of 23:05 on May 18, 2020

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
There are things called "off leash trails"? Huh, learn something new every day.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Roblo posted:

There are things called "off leash trails"? Huh, learn something new every day.

I googled it and the first result near me was the definitely not off leash trail that I had a run in with a dog recently. I like dogs but I don't want to deal with your loving dog while I'm wandering the woods because it's one of the few places I can go outside without getting to close to people. It's pretty much illegal throughout the US but it varies because our country is deathly afraid of having one uniform set of laws.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

I live in a heavily-wooded small town with trails around literally every corner. Some of them are official Off-Leash Trails™.
They exist.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
the sweetest dogs i knew were old hounds that basically turned into big, goofy cats. i can’t really deal with most dogs, they have zero chill and it’s exhausting being around them. and it seems half the time their owners are stressing out telling them “don’t do this, don’t do that”, when i just wanted to come over and hang out :(

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

My job likes to keep the bathroom really warm while I feel for some reason keeping it cool would somehow make it smell less like sweat piss and poo poo?

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
oh, and calling someone a “dog racist” when they don’t like pits

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
My neighbor's dog is so bored that it's worn a dirt path along the edge of their fence from pacing back and forth all day and night. They leave it outside and don't let it into the house even if it's snowing (they open the door to the garage for it to stay in there) and barely ever walk it, and it barks all night at other dogs in the neighborhood. :smith:

If you get a dog or really any 'active' pet without being absolutely certain you will have the time to give it the care and attention it needs as a living creature, you are a real piece of poo poo.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
One of my neighbors has a big guard dog that will drop whatever it’s doing to bark ferociously at anyone anywhere near its gate. I recently started going on walks with my two year old son to get fresh air and exercise during the lockdown. About two weeks in the ferocious guard dog would run to the gate and just sit there to say hi while my son talked to it.

...I guess that’s not a pet peeve but I love when vicious dogs turn out to just be complete sweethearts and wanted to share.

franco
Jan 3, 2003
I used to date a lass who lived in an all-female household who had a rescue Staffordshire Bull Terrier that HATED all men, mostly the pitch of the voice. Couldn't really blame him as he'd been an illegal fighting dog, had his ears/tail clipped, balls stapled, all that fun stuff.

He'd growl and bare his teeth at me and was a known biter (of men). My peeve was that they all thought I was silly for being wary/frightened and always said "just hit him on the nose with a rolled up newspaper!". Yeah I'm really gonna whack a very angry dog who hates me - that'll surely end well! "But WE do it!" - the difference is he LIKES you!

Turns out the secret was to let him dry-hump me for a bit to prove he was the alpha and then I even got to stroke him for a bit haha.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Microsoft Teams, when a scheduled meeting starts, automatically cancels out any music you're listening to, while not actually pausing it, regardless of whether or not you're actually connecting into the meeting.

My company has loads of optional daily briefings etc. that are in everyone's calendar, so this happens several times per day. Stop it, Teams!

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
I guess to some extent the problem is that some owners interpret "off-leash area/trail" as meaning "your dog can do whatever". You are technically allowed to have the dog not on a leash there, but you absolutely must be in control of the dog still. If your dog does not stop what it's doing when you tell it to stop, it must be leashed everywhere.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

The Perfect Element posted:

Microsoft Teams, when a scheduled meeting starts, automatically cancels out any music you're listening to, while not actually pausing it, regardless of whether or not you're actually connecting into the meeting.

Go to control panel -> sound -> communications and select the last option, "do nothing", it stops "important" apps from muting "unimportant" apps

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

franco posted:

Turns out the secret was to let him dry-hump me for a bit to prove he was the alpha and then I even got to stroke him for a bit haha.

drat, the dog got you to jerk it off? Maybe it was the alpha

franco
Jan 3, 2003

Brawnfire posted:

drat, the dog got you to jerk it off? Maybe it was the alpha

:lmao: I mustn't have had enough sleep as I was about to correct you as to what dry-humping is then....ooooh! Well played!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

In other news, I'm going to destroy the world because it created pull-start motors. Every time I use my mower it's like having to talk up an abused racehorse

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

ookiimarukochan posted:

Go to control panel -> sound -> communications and select the last option, "do nothing", it stops "important" apps from muting "unimportant" apps

I love you.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

that way of talking that people attribute to animals like "hooman i want teh food" and stuff, whatever animals' internal monologue is like im sure its not like that at all

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Shibawanko posted:

that way of talking that people attribute to animals like "hooman i want teh food" and stuff, whatever animals' internal monologue is like im sure its not like that at all

This post is doin me the real heckin big concern bork borf

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Shibawanko posted:

I loving hate it. I can just about accept that SOME dogs are dim enough that they'd be all "i can haz snakkz nao?" but cats? gently caress off. Talk like that to any cat I've known and they'll give you a withering look that means they know what you're doing and they think very poorly of you as a result.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
An interesting thing with mammals in general, I don't know if other types of animals have this as well it may be in avians and reptiles and others too, is that there is a particular sensory nerve in the skin that only reacts to one type of stimulus - not heat, pressure or anything, only a gentle stroking motion activates it and it makes the mammal feel awesome, which is why so many animals enjoy being petted - that's the exact motion that triggers the nerve that feels so good. It's also found in human skin cells which is why an instinctive reaction while comforting a friend during a hug is a gentle rubbing/patting of the back or stroking of the hair. On some level, we know that's the "feel good" motion so we trigger it without knowing why we are doing it. We just know from anecdotal evidence that it works.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2013/01/why-petting-feels-good

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 16:32 on May 20, 2020

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Sunswipe posted:

I loving hate it. I can just about accept that SOME dogs are dim enough that they'd be all "i can haz snakkz nao?" but cats? gently caress off. Talk like that to any cat I've known and they'll give you a withering look that means they know what you're doing and they think very poorly of you as a result.

Yeah my cats all know when they're being talked about. I've even had them do the soap opera thing where they appear in a doorway after a conversation mocking them, looking affronted.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
i like the posts that have cats talk like fancy little Victorian children

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

InediblePenguin posted:

i like the posts that have cats talk like fancy little Victorian children