Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Killer_B posted:

Currently have an iPhone SE, and the (original) battery is beginning to show its age, particularly when there's more than a bit of changes in temperature. Could be at 75% + and doesn't get used for a bit and there's a significant temperature drop, it'll shut down complaining it's almost out of juice.

I had thought of the SE 2, but who knows when that will actually make it over here to the states, with Covid straining the supply line everywhere currently.

That said, what would be a good recommendation to eventually move to? Can be either iOS or Android.

edit : If it helps, I am currently with Verizon, but am open to other carriers if there happens to be a decent deal for a 3-5gb/month plan.

Ideally the new iPhone SE. if not that, the 11 if you don’t mind the size.

China is back to production, so in theory the SE2 should hit sometime in the next month or two if you can hold out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
Most of these plans are something like "Unlimited, but slow after 20G, includes 5GB of high speed hotspot data" How are carriers enforcing a limitation for hotspot data? I'm guessing a rooted phone would be able to avoid that type of thing?

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I use a lte usb modem attached to a raspberry pi acting as the router. It doesn't register as hotspot data. I get 50 gigs before a slowdown on t mobile

Edit: I'm above 50 at the moment and it's still steaming Netflix fine. Hell I'm above 100 now on two lines with the plan

Dr. Fraiser Chain fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Apr 12, 2020

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Some of these prepaid B-tier services look tempting. Vsble is unlimited on VZ's network for $40/mo including taxes and I saw reports of 30Mbps which would be plenty. Looks like I've got plenty of research to do.

e: Do you have the T-Mobile prepaid unlimited (non-plus) plan? What modem are you using?

taqueso fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Apr 12, 2020

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Is there a good option right now for someone who wants a smartphone that runs mail and chat apps but doesn't feel like it has to continue to double the screen resolution every generation?

Like, I would be pretty happy with a phone that runs the latest version of stock Android but isn't really determined to play the latest games or streaming video and has a 1280x800 screen, but also isn't total garbage. Do those by any chance exist, or is everything decent stuck on the continuous upgrade treadmill?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rand Brittain posted:

Is there a good option right now for someone who wants a smartphone that runs mail and chat apps but doesn't feel like it has to continue to double the screen resolution every generation?

Like, I would be pretty happy with a phone that runs the latest version of stock Android but isn't really determined to play the latest games or streaming video and has a 1280x800 screen, but also isn't total garbage. Do those by any chance exist, or is everything decent stuck on the continuous upgrade treadmill?

I know you mentioned Android, but even Android sites are saying there's no point buying anything other than an iPhone SE in the mid-range since any comparably priced (never mind cheaper) Android will be lacking a number of quality-of-life features while being significantly slower.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Well, I guess that answers that, then.

(Although for a while I may just look at putting LineageOS on my OnePlus3, since that has a new battery and should last a while yet.)

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
You can also wait for hopefully not too long for the Pixel 4a to come out, so you can decide between it and the SE. Or if you find a great deal on a Pixel 3a, it's still a good phone that performs much better than its price despite being a year old.

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
I moved to a rural area near Jacksonville, Florida and half the places I go, including my apartment, I have no connection. So can't make calls or use data and it sucks.

I googled a bit and saw that some people said their pixel 3s just plain didn't work with some nearby towers, so I replaced my pixel 3 with a pixel 4 and it still didn't work.

I want a good phone and good service without having to worry about where I am.

Country/Provider: USA / T mobile

Current contract status: none

Budget (phone/plan): whatever, I don't care how much it costs

Features I know I want: either stock Android or an iPhone. Basically, I want a good phone that doesnt have some garbage manufacturer's stupid "changes". I don't follow phone releases but my understanding is this rules out 99% of Android phones? I've only ever used Nexus, Pixel, and Motorola Android phones. The best phone I ever experienced was the Moto x.

I don't mind throwing away this pixel 4 I just bought since it seems Google cheaped out on it with a poo poo battery and yellow-ish screen.

I'm thinking of these options but please let me know if you have a better idea:

1. Try Google fi instead of t mobile. Maybe since they also use Sprint, I'll get a signal out here where TMobile has no coverage.

2. Try Verizon. Supposedly best coverage of any US carrier. Would this work? I thought they didn't support GSM phones but this Q&A suggests that they do now, so maybe I can just switch my pixel 4 to Verizon? https://community.verizonwireless.com/t5/Bring-Your-Own-Device/Is-there-a-GSM-network/td-p/1072919

Does anyone have any better ideas?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

oliveoil posted:

I moved to a rural area near Jacksonville, Florida and half the places I go, including my apartment, I have no connection. So can't make calls or use data and it sucks.

I googled a bit and saw that some people said their pixel 3s just plain didn't work with some nearby towers, so I replaced my pixel 3 with a pixel 4 and it still didn't work.

I want a good phone and good service without having to worry about where I am.

Country/Provider: USA / T mobile

Current contract status: none

Budget (phone/plan): whatever, I don't care how much it costs

Features I know I want: either stock Android or an iPhone. Basically, I want a good phone that doesnt have some garbage manufacturer's stupid "changes". I don't follow phone releases but my understanding is this rules out 99% of Android phones? I've only ever used Nexus, Pixel, and Motorola Android phones. The best phone I ever experienced was the Moto x.

I don't mind throwing away this pixel 4 I just bought since it seems Google cheaped out on it with a poo poo battery and yellow-ish screen.

I'm thinking of these options but please let me know if you have a better idea:

1. Try Google fi instead of t mobile. Maybe since they also use Sprint, I'll get a signal out here where TMobile has no coverage.

2. Try Verizon. Supposedly best coverage of any US carrier. Would this work? I thought they didn't support GSM phones but this Q&A suggests that they do now, so maybe I can just switch my pixel 4 to Verizon? https://community.verizonwireless.com/t5/Bring-Your-Own-Device/Is-there-a-GSM-network/td-p/1072919

Does anyone have any better ideas?

Verizon now uses LTE, which uses SIM cards, so a lot more phones are compatible. Both the Pixel 3 and 4 should work on Verizon, so whether you get a new phone is up to you.

Plans: Assuming single line, single line plan Play more is $90 a month, $80 with autopay. Go Unlimited is $10 cheaper (so $80, $70 with autopay). Go unlimited you can get throttle on a congested tower, 480 video stream, no hotspot. For $10, for most people here i recommend Play, which is 25GB premium data, 15GB hotspot, it also gives you apple music for one user free.

If you are Military, First Responder, Nurse or Teacher, you get $10 off the plan.

Promos:
Bring Your Own Device: Bring your Pixel 4 over and you'll get a $250 Visa gift card

If you want a new phone, choose Play Unlimited, and get the current iPhone or Samsung lines (iPhone 11/pro, samsung S10/S20), you would get $600 trade in for your Pixel 4 , and a $150 Visa Gift card for switching your number

For instance, the Samsung S20+ is $1200, which is $50 a month over 2 years. $600 trade in is $24 a moth over 24 months. so the promo would be $50-$24 = $26 a month over 2 years (you have to do payments, they won't give the discount up front), so about $625 for the phone, plus $150 gift card back.

For a lower price, the S10+ is on the promo and way cheaper. its $849, so $35 a month, so after $25 a month trade in, $10 over 2 years ($240 total), after $150 gift card you are only paying $90 to swap your pixel 4 for a S10+.

I recommend reading reviews on any phone of course, the S20 has a fantastic camera, but the S10+ is def also very, very good.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
My experience with Project Fi was it picking the tower with the worse signal half the time. That's usually Sprint, but my experience in the boonies had been better with Sprint than TMobile at times, so? Does Fi still use US Cellular, too?

I would ask around and see what service other people use. I'd save you the trouble jumping plans to find the right one.

I highly doubt it's the phone that's the issue.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I'm having mild phone addiction issues. I'd like to leave my phone by the door when I'm at home and just keep a dumbphone in case of emergency. Any recommendations for something that will work with Ting, or should any phone work?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

blk posted:

I'm having mild phone addiction issues. I'd like to leave my phone by the door when I'm at home and just keep a dumbphone in case of emergency. Any recommendations for something that will work with Ting, or should any phone work?

Not joking , they make Bluetooth house phones you can pair to your phone , just get and pair that.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

blk posted:

Same question but just for SMS, 'cause lol at actually answering the phone when 95% of calls are robocalls.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CopperHound posted:

Same question but just for SMS, 'cause lol at actually answering the phone when 95% of calls are robocalls.

What model phone and what carrier ?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Duckman2008 posted:

What model phone and what carrier ?
Oh, I have a Nokia 6.1 on T-Mobile right now and am having a hard time convincing myself that I don't need to look at somethingawful.com (or slack/email/news) while I'm still in bed, pooping, or while my girlfriend is talking to me and I should just walk 10 feet over to my computer instead.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Android has Digital Wellbeing in the settings. I would play with those settings before spending money. That should let you set limits or schedule times where apps stop working.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Pooping without my phone is nightmare fuel

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
Lookin for a new phone. AT&T, USA, non-iPhone. Price isn't an issue, but deals are always appreciated. Currently on an S8+ (with a recently cracked screen).

The Big Jesus fucked around with this message at 17:18 on May 3, 2020

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

The Big Jesus posted:

Lookin for a new phone. AT&T, USA, non-iPhone. Price isn't an issue, but deals are always appreciated.

Money’s no object Android phone choices right now are Galaxy S20 if you like Samsung, OnePlus 8 Pro if you don’t.

The S20 Ultra probably isn’t worth the extra $400.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Uthor posted:

Android has Digital Wellbeing in the settings. I would play with those settings before spending money. That should let you set limits or schedule times where apps stop working.
I think this would be a lot more useful if I could set up geofencing instead of just time schedule.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

I live outside of the US for my job 11 months out of the year, but would like to have a US phone number. Is there a pay-as-you-go SIM card out there, so that I can own a cell # that won't expire without having to pay a monthly fee?

I don't really care what carrier. I used to have AT&T, and use iPhones.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

lord funk posted:

I live outside of the US for my job 11 months out of the year, but would like to have a US phone number. Is there a pay-as-you-go SIM card out there, so that I can own a cell # that won't expire without having to pay a monthly fee?

I don't really care what carrier. I used to have AT&T, and use iPhones.

Google voice ?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Yeah that sounds like google voice if you will have access to a local phone or computer with mic wherever you are

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

I think I need an actual phone number, though. So I can have a number for things like bank accounts, applications, etc.. I probably won't really use it for communication much.

Actually, that's pretty much the main reason I need a phone. Right now I'm putting my GF's number down, but that's not really a long-term solution.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

lord funk posted:

I think I need an actual phone number, though. So I can have a number for things like bank accounts, applications, etc.. I probably won't really use it for communication much.

Actually, that's pretty much the main reason I need a phone. Right now I'm putting my GF's number down, but that's not really a long-term solution.

Google voice is a real phone number , although to be fair, certain banks / institutions won’t let you use it. I use google voice as my primary number, and I do use it for my bank and other 2FA verifications (which yes, I know the apps are better than text, gotta fix that soon).

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
USA (southern CA)

No current contract, but I still own a Motorola 4E/E4 or whatever.

Hoping to not have to go over $450-ish, $550 max for a smartphone and annual plan (I intend to pay for the entire year upfront). If it helps, I have access to Costco phone plans.

Features I know I want include NFC, good call quality, decent battery life. Otherwise this phone is going to be for internet browsing/reading ebooks while out in public. I have a preference for trying out a Pixel, but it is in no way a requirement.

I'm also open to just keeping my current phone and going with Mint or Cricket or other similar services.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
I’m on Verizon and using a refurb iPhone 6S on its second battery. Battery life is still ok, but it’s started to have charging port problems where it doesn’t charge unless things are shoved around just so. The phone still pretty much fits my needs - do I go with some of the above recs and just get a new SE?

I guess the main question is if the battery life & camera quality on an 11/11pro/whatever is worth $600 more. I like not having to gently caress with batteries for most of the day and I like taking pictures that look nice, but are we talking a 5-10% difference in quality or a 250% difference?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

idiotsavant posted:

I’m on Verizon and using a refurb iPhone 6S on its second battery. Battery life is still ok, but it’s started to have charging port problems where it doesn’t charge unless things are shoved around just so. The phone still pretty much fits my needs - do I go with some of the above recs and just get a new SE?

I guess the main question is if the battery life & camera quality on an 11/11pro/whatever is worth $600 more. I like not having to gently caress with batteries for most of the day and I like taking pictures that look nice, but are we talking a 5-10% difference in quality or a 250% difference?

Man , that’s a hard choice.

$450 gets you a 128GB iPhone SE.

$750 gets you a 128Gb iPhone 11

$999 gets you a 64GB iPhone Pro, and $1150 a 256GB iPhone pro.

Usage wise: the SE for sure holds up.

You’re paying $300 more for a 11 for the extra camera and edge to edge screen.

You’re paying $550 to $700 more for an 11 Pro with bigger screen (compared for the SE), OLED screen and 3 camera setup.

I have the 11 Pro. Gotta tell you. The camera is phenomenal , and I’m not a camera person. The screen is the main thing you look at all day.

Like, if you got the money , and/or it isn’t the issue , I would say go big and get the Pro. If you can’t stomach the $300-500 difference , I’d say just get the SE.

Airconswitch
Aug 23, 2010

Boston is truly where it all began. Join me in continuing this bold endeavor, so that future generations can say 'this is where the promise was fulfilled.'
So I've been asked find a US plan/carrier for three phones (S9+ and two iPhones), ideally under the $200 they currently pay to Sprint monthly. Said subscriber is a veteran, so anywhere that offers a decent discount is ideal.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Airconswitch posted:

So I've been asked find a US plan/carrier for three phones (S9+ and two iPhones), ideally under the $200 they currently pay to Sprint monthly. Said subscriber is a veteran, so anywhere that offers a decent discount is ideal.

If you’re keeping the same phones then yeah, that’s doable.

Do they need anything besides unlimited data ?

I can give you a simple Verizon quote.

3 lines, unlimited data, no hotspot:
$55 * 3 = $165 , plus tax.

If you do auto pay with checking /debit card: $45 * 3 = $135 .

Military discount on either is a flat $20 off total, so $145 or $115, plus tax. If anyone wants mobile hotspot, add $10 for that line.

If you bring your own phone and order online you can get $250 gift card per line. I think the base plan still qualifies ?

https://www.verizon.com/bring-your-own-device

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Why is pre-pay so much cheaper than post-pay? I was on a family plan for ATT with one other person shared 5gb / month, employee discount, and it was like $110/ month. We're both on h2o wireless now which is still att but we each get 5gb for $27 / person / month. We even talked to the retention rep saying, hey just match this plan and we'll stay but no dice.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

regulargonzalez posted:

Why is pre-pay so much cheaper than post-pay? I was on a family plan for ATT with one other person shared 5gb / month, employee discount, and it was like $110/ month. We're both on h2o wireless now which is still att but we each get 5gb for $27 / person / month. We even talked to the retention rep saying, hey just match this plan and we'll stay but no dice.

Very minimal to no customer support, absolutely no device promos, lower priority on cell towers. Also, of course the networks just don’t promote near the same way. A lot of prepaid networks now soft cap data speeds (example: some Cricket plans limit speeds to 8mb), but that varies.

Like, overall it’s fine, you just need to be willing to deal with fixing issues on your own IF you have an issue.

When you get to 4+ family plans, the lines get to about $30-40 a line, so that’s another factor.

My honest option: most people in this country are not great at analyzing bills in general , and yes of course the phone carriers don’t have a great record at making it easy or clear. So I think most people just accept paying extra for it to “just work” and then it’s one less thing to worry about.

Csixtyfour
Jan 14, 2004
Did Sprint change the Kickstart plan so you can finance phones on it now? My Moto X4 is dying and Im on Sprint Kickstart with it, it used to be if you tried to buy a finance new phone online it would force you to pick a new plan or buy the phone to keep kickstart plan. I can make it all the way to checkout out now online with a finance phone....

Speaking of phones, i'm leaning towards a Pixel 4, not a fan of apple. Any better choice than pixel for around the $300-$400 range(not apple)? I always had good luck with Moto's, just time for a change.

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

Hey thread, I'm looking for a replacement phone since my galaxy S9+ is getting bunch of weird errors and slowing down. I'm looking at the S20, Galaxy Note 10+, and OnePlus 8 Pro. Wondering if there's some consensus on what the best options are. My priorities are long battery life, durability, and processing. Camera and display are not super high priorities for me. There's a distant thought that maybe I should try out the iPhone 11. With verizon if that matters and budget 900$ +/- 200

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Hi thread, I need an upgrade from my Moto G5 because 16GB storage just doesn't cut it. I'm in the UK on a GiffGaff goody bag plan which I'm quite happy with so I just need a handset really. My wife uses iPhones and we have many iDevices around the house but I have a visceral and possibly irrational hatred of Apple and would much prefer to stick with Android if possible.

Requirements - At least 64GB storage, I've got a 64GB microSD as well so good if it has a slot for that. I'd like something a little bit larger and a bit more capable processor-wise and at least a bit better at photography than the G5, none of which should be hard. Money isn't an issue as such but I don't feel the need to pay top dollar for all the bells and whistles. (My phone before this one was an LG G3 which I was very happy with up until it simply stopped booting.)

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I have two old android phones, both of which have screens that stopped working. So presumably my info is on there but should be encrypted.

Is there a reputable company that buys old phones with broken screens, so that they can use them for parts, or re-screen and re-sell them, or whatever?

e: Actually, it looks like both phones are nearly worthless with a dead screen (Pixel and Moto X). I guess I need to find electronics recycling.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Is there a difference buying an iPhone SE through Verizon vs Apple? It would be an outright purchase on a prepaid line. I'd like to be able to take it to another provider with minimum fuss, but it would be used on an existing Verizon account at first. Would there be issues signing up for AppleCare+?

I don't think that the flip phone it would be replacing has a SIM card (I could be very wrong) and want to make the swap as painless as possible, especially given that the stores are all closed.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Uthor posted:

Is there a difference buying an iPhone SE through Verizon vs Apple? It would be an outright purchase on a prepaid line. I'd like to be able to take it to another provider with minimum fuss, but it would be used on an existing Verizon account at first. Would there be issues signing up for AppleCare+?

I don't think that the flip phone it would be replacing has a SIM card (I could be very wrong) and want to make the swap as painless as possible, especially given that the stores are all closed.
If you have an existing Verizon account, they'll just activate the included SIM card to your account. From there, if it's fully paid, it should be as simple as swapping the SIM with the new provider. I know there's some limited period (60 or 90 days?) where Verizon phones are locked, but I'm not 100% sure if that applies to fully unlocked phones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

This is for my mom. I called my sis and since the stores are now open, they may just go to one and get the phone activated at purchase. I was trying to minimize contact with other people, but :shrug:

Thanks, I'll talk it over with them in the morning.