Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

cest moi liking Shadow and Claw is such a reversal of everything I thought I understood

dear lord middlebrow american lit really has destroyed your reading comprehension

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

apophenium posted:

The best part of those books was when that little kid gets zapped by the cursed Mt Rushmore head and Severian just shrugs and moves on.

that kid is called severian and had a sister called severa and someone later is like 'oh severian thats one of those paired names where theres a girl version that parents call opposite sex twins' which obviously implies main severian has a sister and gene wolfe fans seem very interested by this despite the fact it has no bearing whatsoever on anything

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

CestMoi posted:

dear lord middlebrow american lit really has destroyed your reading comprehension

It was clearly a positive response and your attempts at cynical deflection do not mask this horrible truth

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
And of course Severian could've been lying about either the kid's name or that they were paired names spot matters even less. That was my general takeaway of the whole series. There's some cool stuff that happens, but it might not've even happened, so whatever.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

how does me explicitly saying i am enjoying the last two books, though not enough to think reading the whole thing is worth it imply anything other than my thinking the first two are bad

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
CestMoi, the biblical tsundere

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

apophenium posted:

And of course Severian could've been lying about either the kid's name or that they were paired names spot matters even less. That was my general takeaway of the whole series. There's some cool stuff that happens, but it might not've even happened, so whatever.

Yeah I sort of read the duology (quadrilogy?) as an exercise in style, mostly. And I did enjoy it well enough for all that. :shrug:

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

CestMoi posted:

More like extreme Japanese erotica

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Bilirubin posted:

More like extreme Japanese erotica

I would say more above average tbf

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

My Struggle Book 1 had some of the best writing on booze, death, and landscape paintings I've come across! I even felt mild anxiety when Karl Ove's brother left him alone (in the house of doom and rot) with his grandma, who only shows signs of life when she's drunk.

I knew someone who died much like Karl Ove's father. Indirectly, but still, this explains the situation well... :stare:

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I likethe part where he is contemplating whether or not to rub one off but argues against because his dad just died

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Also how one of his first thoughts after hearing the news is how much money he'll get, and he was like, stupid brain.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Also how one of his first thoughts after hearing the news is how much money he'll get, and he was like, stupid brain.

I don't know which feat was more impressive: how completely he bared his soul for that book, or how well he managed to describe that inner life for the reader.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

ulvir posted:

I likethe part where he is contemplating whether or not to rub one off but argues against because his dad just died

i mean who among us

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I just finished Endgame (it's real short.) It's a condensed nugget of Beckett. Diamond Beckett. Rock hard, dense, and any time some soft fleshy humanity tries to sneak out if it it's cut right off. Having finished it I feel like I've been subject to an impossibly strong gravity, reducing me to a core of not-being somehow being.

It's good.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Mrenda posted:

I just finished Endgame (it's real short.) It's a condensed nugget of Beckett. Diamond Beckett. Rock hard, dense, and any time some soft fleshy humanity tries to sneak out if it it's cut right off. Having finished it I feel like I've been subject to an impossibly strong gravity, reducing me to a core of not-being somehow being.

It's good.

There are also a few really hilarious exchanges if I remember right. It's been many years since I read it, but it does leave its mark.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Mrenda posted:

It's good.

Endgame rules. There’s a great filmed version with David Thewlis and I think Michael Gambon floatin round youtube.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
https://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2014/01/cormac-mccarthys-ex-wife-pulled-gun-out-her-vagina-while-arguing-about-aliens/356822/

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I think Endgame's funny in a thematic way, in how it embodies itself. There's just endless circling of life and death, with stagnation between but never being allowed to take hold in this never ending repetition, and it shows through the interactions between the characters, their objectives, their language and even the language of the text.

I read the Goodreads on it and a lot of people seem to say, "I think I need to see it performed," but I'm not sure I'd appreciate it as much as a performance. I feel like reading it allowed me to appreciate the rapid pace while acknowledging the frequent [pauses] indicated. It's a frantic back and forth between intelligent people philosophising in bar.

Also, I'm not sure what Theatre of the Absurd actually means to a load of Goodreads people who seem to put it in their reviews. They seem to mean its "absurd" on the face of it, in a very "lol I don't understand it" way, therefore it's "lolcrazyrandom", but to me it means more that it's reality stripped of its faux-ness, which is the height of relevancy. In conclusion, goodreads? More like badreads. Endgame is extremely relevant and good.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
It is better ethically and better for your sanity that you do not use Goodreads.

Are there any literary publications y'all like for reviews and essays? For finding new books/authors and whatnot.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I hope to get to the point where there's no literary publications I read because they've all rejected my writing.

Some are making this very difficult by only taking mail in submissions, and two online ones have made a grace misstep by liking what I've written.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Oh so that's what the wife did with the gun in The Road.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

apophenium posted:

It is better ethically and better for your sanity that you do not use Goodreads.

Are there any literary publications y'all like for reviews and essays? For finding new books/authors and whatnot.

I used to like blogs like biblioklept (remember blogs lol).

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
My favorite anecdote about Hobsbawm, which im 99% sure in that Zizek probably completely made it up but its still somehow true

Idaholy Roller
May 19, 2009
Big fan of the bit in Swann’s Way where he’s considering reading Odette’s post and justifies it as ‘well if I don’t read it I’ll suspect her of infidelity for evermore and just treat her like crap which is unfair to her’.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Proust is great for that kind of thing

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
i just ordered a copy of Creative Imagination in the Sufism of Ibn Arabi by Henry Corbin and im fuckin puuumped

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
Just finished reading Robert Coover's The Public Burning, which tells the tale of the execution of the Rosenbergs from the perspective of then-Vice President Richard Nixon and featuring a personification of Uncle Sam who fucks Nixon in the rear end to end the book.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

I have been dipping into bits of City of God and I've come up to the hilarious bit where Augustine, in the middle of this profound discussion of creation and original sin, finds time to slip in his wild fan theory that Adam was capable of willing his penis into erection

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

J_RBG posted:

I have been dipping into bits of City of God and I've come up to the hilarious bit where Augustine, in the middle of this profound discussion of creation and original sin, finds time to slip in his wild fan theory that Adam was capable of willing his penis into erection

*nods sadly*

A fiction to which billions of men will have subscribed.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I ordered the last two books of the Sea of Fertility and The Makioka Sisters by Tanazaki. I expect to be fully fascitized and loving it by the end of the summer

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy

Heath posted:

I ordered the last two books of the Sea of Fertility and The Makioka Sisters by Tanazaki. I expect to be fully fascitized and loving it by the end of the summer

Hell yah. I think runaway horses is next for me when I'm done with 2666

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Heath posted:

A cool thing about the third one is that a bunch of it is just Honda(and you the reader) learning about Buddhist history.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The description of it made it sound pretty wild. I know a little bit about the Buddhist texts on reincarnation that get referenced in Runaway Horses, so I'm looking forward to that.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
what's everybody's favorite sutras

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
The Laughing Sutra :imunfunny:

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Idaholy Roller posted:

Big fan of the bit in Swann’s Way where he’s considering reading Odette’s post and justifies it as ‘well if I don’t read it I’ll suspect her of infidelity for evermore and just treat her like crap which is unfair to her’.

you are going to love the next volume

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

i just ordered a copy of Creative Imagination in the Sufism of Ibn Arabi by Henry Corbin and im fuckin puuumped

very sick

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Tree Goat posted:

what's everybody's favorite sutras

mahavairocana

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Runaway Horses is sick and good