Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

exquisite tea posted:

SSDs are almost ubiquitous in even lower-end PCs these days, I don't think too many people who intend to game on their systems are going to be left in the dust with the next console generation.

Every computer I’ve bought lately has at a minimum an NVMe drive in it. The laptops have all also had at least an expansion slot for a 2.5 inch SATA drive if it doesn’t already have a SSD drive in there. I’ve had one computer that came with a HDD drive in it on top of the NVMe as a “data drive” but that drive is intended more for music/movies than gaming. Still ripped it out and put an SSD in its place.

CJacobs posted:

The solution to that is to make sure your game works before rushing it out the door, which is like the main benefit of consoles as a platform- every copy of a video game on every console in every home will work exactly the same as it does for everyone else including the people who made the thing and tested it on their own devkits. This worked perfectly fine for almost 30 years with very few of those showstopping hiccups, and then digital game sales happened.

I mean, for giant, breaks the same way every time showstoppers, sure. But even on consoles you can’t find every major bug that thousands of people are going to stumble on. Or you test in a different environment than people actually play it in- remember how God of War had tiny text size that completely flew past testing because they were playing it on monitors sitting at a desk instead of couches 6-8 feet from the screen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Ruffian Price posted:

I almost cried when I could just pop Breath of the Wild in and run it on launch day without any interruptions, it felt downright surreal.

I am also a crusty old man when it comes to updates v. fixed media. Just finish the game and leave it alone!

Here's a complaint: the world overview in Trials: Rising is such a piece of poo poo. I just want to flip to a different level, and this game slogs, desperately trying to contact a hamster-driven server in Ubisoft's custodial closet to download random player's new best time.

I don't give a poo poo about SquirrelFucker69's top score! Just let me switch levels!

Track Central (ther user-generated content area) is also impossibly slow, but at least I understand! It's custom content, levels and screenshots to download. The main screen has no excuse for being slow. It's maddening.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I mean, for giant, breaks the same way every time showstoppers, sure. But even on consoles you can’t find every major bug that thousands of people are going to stumble on. Or you test in a different environment than people actually play it in- remember how God of War had tiny text size that completely flew past testing because they were playing it on monitors sitting at a desk instead of couches 6-8 feet from the screen?

This happened a lot in early HD gaming, I think Dead Rising most famously; way-too-tiny text sizes, in part because HD gaming was so new at the time that they just didn't know how big the text should be, so they defaulted to 'looks good on our machines'.

It even plagues other parts of product development. Windows 8 and the Microsoft Surface series is kind of a perfect example of this from a more top-down level; Microsoft basically made a PC and OS that suited how they as a company use PCs, and failed to appropriately factor in that other use cases exist.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Cleretic posted:

This happened a lot in early HD gaming, I think Dead Rising most famously; way-too-tiny text sizes, in part because HD gaming was so new at the time that they just didn't know how big the text should be, so they defaulted to 'looks good on our machines'.

If I remember right the text was fine on an HDTV but since those were relatively new tons of people still had SDTVs were it was completely unreadable. I played some PS3 stuff on an SDTV in 2011-2012 and it wasn’t really a fixed problem even then, you just saw less people talking about it because more people had HDTVs

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I was looking around at new games and saw that I had saved Just Cause 3 when it went free for ps+ so I decided sure why not. Never played a Just Cause game but it seems semi up my alley of the games. The game is pretty fun as a concept but Jesus between the frame rates, loading times, terrible controls, and stupid story its basically unplayable. I think id love it if it was an actual working game.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Cleretic posted:

Any green office intern making a PowerPoint presentation: oh man if this isn't legible I am in shiiiiiiiit

Any experienced developer company spending tens of millions on a videogame: oh man if this isn't legible I don't give a shiiiiiiit

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Eclipse12 posted:

What's dragging down Terraria has always been seeing the amazing housing creations people build and knowing I'll never have the time or talent to do so myself.

Guess I'll just go back to cactus shack, wood shack, ice shack, slime shack, etc forever.

The solution is to make a little of every building material, and scatter them around semi-randomly. A brush of color here or a column of something sparkly there makes a WORLD of difference. Pretty soon you're making Cool poo poo.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Cleretic posted:

Man, I remember that. Made me figure out a way to hook the xbox up to a CPU monitor (which for me was a pain) and then after I went through all that, i HATED the game.

So there's another thing dragging a game down for me. Dead Rising is so loving frenetic it's almost impossible to know what to do or where to go next. Your screen is just lit up with messages and prompts telling you to go here or you hosed up by not going here and someone died and just...god drat. Total overload. The people I was trying to save had terrible AI too and seemed to wander off and get killed a lot. The controls and map were confusing for me too.

I WANTED to like DR and gave it several tries but it just wasn't for me.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

All I know about Dead Rising is that you have to fight three guys in a Jeep.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

The trick to dead rising is to accept that people die and save them next time loop.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Inspector Gesicht posted:

All I know about Dead Rising is that you have to fight three guys in a Jeep.

The intro sequence to that segment fucks me up emotionally more than I feel a throwaway scene in a 2004 video game really should. gently caress those guys.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?
Kingdom Come: Deliverance is so devoid of QOL design (For obvious reasons but still) that it's making me want to shelve it for simply not having the time to deal with so much bullshit.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Making an open-world game with the Cryengine and coupling it with an unhelpful save-system from 1995 is asking for trouble.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Making an open-world game with the Cryengine and coupling it with an unhelpful save-system from 1995 is asking for trouble.

Hey! Henry's come to see us! :downs:
Basically on launch day there were mods to get around that terrible system for anyone who didn't want to put up with it. The staple of any 'weird, lovely mechanic' forced in by the devs.
Atleast they didn't do like Vampyr, and have perpetual autosaving to 1 slot, removing the ability to load earlier states at all.

Satisfactory: I really want to get into it, and the design and polish is really appealing, as is the large scale factory stuff.
But at the start all the machines feel so big, and it's so slow to navigate around that it feels insanely cumbersome to try and set up well, anything.
I'm so used to topdown systems like Factorio where its very easy to get a large overview and build things.
So running around slowly on the ground and plopping down machines that take up the entire screen is just so utterly unappealing, and a huge turnoff.

It's the problem with any of these first-person logistics games, from Minecraft modpacks to Satisfactory. It just feels so insanely slow and inaccurate to do everything in first person, on foot.
The appeal of giant 3D factories stretching towards the horizon is just ruthlessly squashed by how unfun and un-satisfactory it is to do... anything.
In Factorio I can have an overview of dozens to hundreds of machines, and copy/paste build segments with construction bots.
In Satisfactory I'm just met with a perpetual feeling of :effort: .

It has a lot of good QoL decisions, and some sensible things. But you can only do so much when your input method just feels fundamentally flawed.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Have you played Space Engineers? It might be up your alley, because it's easier to get a good overview in that game.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Control doesn’t have a benchmarking tool, which sucks because it has all the fancy NVidia features. I was gonna run some tests with it to show one of my friends who’s in the market for a new PC, but nope, no standardized testing/reporting. Lame.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

bony tony posted:

Have you played Space Engineers? It might be up your alley, because it's easier to get a good overview in that game.

Hm, I did poke it a bit ages and ages ago.
Probably 4-5 years ago, so maybe it's worth giving it a shake again.

I do remember boosting up inventory capacity, plus the building and dismantling speeds massively though when I did play.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

BiggerBoat posted:

Man, I remember that. Made me figure out a way to hook the xbox up to a CPU monitor (which for me was a pain) and then after I went through all that, i HATED the game.

So there's another thing dragging a game down for me. Dead Rising is so loving frenetic it's almost impossible to know what to do or where to go next. Your screen is just lit up with messages and prompts telling you to go here or you hosed up by not going here and someone died and just...god drat. Total overload. The people I was trying to save had terrible AI too and seemed to wander off and get killed a lot. The controls and map were confusing for me too.

Dead rising series was definitely made by a psychopath.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Weapon proficiency was in Borderlands and The Surge, then dropped in their sequels. It's one of those mechanics that feels pointless to implement. Yakuza 5 was the worst example. Four separate characters each had five weapon skills they could level up, in a game where weapons cost a ton to repair and 95% of combat involved your fists alone.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

SubNat posted:

Hm, I did poke it a bit ages and ages ago.
Probably 4-5 years ago, so maybe it's worth giving it a shake again.

I do remember boosting up inventory capacity, plus the building and dismantling speeds massively though when I did play.

They've updated it to hell and back, and it's gotten a lot deeper. It's not thread appropriate, but I love it.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

Dead Rising 2 Off the Record and DR3 have playmodes which ditch the timeline system, and DR4 doesn't have one to besides one DLC extra campaign.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Weapon proficiency was in Borderlands and The Surge, then dropped in their sequels. It's one of those mechanics that feels pointless to implement. Yakuza 5 was the worst example. Four separate characters each had five weapon skills they could level up, in a game where weapons cost a ton to repair and 95% of combat involved your fists alone.

I don't mind weapon proficiency in an RPG, if the categories are sufficiently broad (e.g. Firearms vs. ARs/Pistols/Shotguns etc.) but fuuuuuck item degradation. Even in otherwise great games like Dark Souls and whatnot it's just busywork.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Item degradation in Dark Souls seems like the developers put it there purely out of habit. Especially DS3 which combined "item degradation is incredibly slow" from DS1 and "items fully repair when you rest unless they got completely broken" from DS2 so that it's incredibly rare to even notice that degradation is a thing.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
There are some bosses I really wanna re-fight in Sekiro but they’re at the end of the game and I don’t want to put the time to get there.

I wish you could just fight any boss you have already defeated.

Also the steps to getting one of the ending is a lot of busy work where you’re talking to one person, teleport to somewhere else, talk to them, rest, talk to them again etc.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

I don't remember that from the first Borderlands. How did it work?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Leavemywife posted:

I don't remember that from the first Borderlands. How did it work?

It's an invisible (I think?) XP track that goes up when you get kills that give XP. Leveling them up improves three things based on weapon type: damage and two other stats like accuracy, stability, reload speed or rate of fire. If you main a weapon you probably beat the game with proficiency in the teens or early 20s, IIRC, but it goes to 50.

It was mostly insanely boring.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I tried a strike in Destiny 2 once. It was amusing and all but seeing the statistics screen at the end embarrassed me since it showed how badly I performed next to the other two players. Never bothered with the multiplayer after that, and given how beautiful but sparse the rest of the game was there was no reason to keep playing.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Der Kyhe posted:

Dead Rising 2 Off the Record and DR3 have playmodes which ditch the timeline system, and DR4 doesn't have one to besides one DLC extra campaign.

The Groundhog Day aspect was what attracted me to the game but the reset of the loop took too long.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
I love Arkham Asylum, it's an absolute blast just to pick up and play through once every few years and unlike the somewhat bloated open world sequels is an amazingly tightly designed game, but why on earth an entirely single player game would boot you to the title screen if there's an interruption to your internet connection is beyond me.

I had to finish a particularly frustrating boss fight four times because due to downloading something in the background the always online check failed, usually just before I beat it. What the gently caress.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

moosecow333 posted:

There are some bosses I really wanna re-fight in Sekiro but they’re at the end of the game and I don’t want to put the time to get there.

I wish you could just fight any boss you have already defeated.

Also the steps to getting one of the ending is a lot of busy work where you’re talking to one person, teleport to somewhere else, talk to them, rest, talk to them again etc.

If you're on PC there's a boss rush / select mod

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
It's way too easy to start the dlc mission in Assassin's Creed Unity (I was trying to fast travel to my base) and quite tricky to get back to the main game (use a certain spot on the map, but it doesn't tell you that).

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Can a smart person explain to me why every other game I get has to install DirectX? It's dragging down a lot of games that I want to play, lately.

Edit: Okay, you know what? gently caress GTA 5 in general. I'm not even playing the drat game yet and I'm tired of it

First download the hundred gig game, then install it, then install Direct X, then download the Rock Game Launcher, then it can't verify the game with the Epic Launcher, so you have to restart both, then I have to create a Rockstar Social account, which is capped off by 5(!) captchas where I identify crosswalks in pictures, but poo poo I got it wrong so I have to do a bonus captcha, but whoops the username is taken so I have to chose another name and do MORE CAPTCHAS, gently caress them up, do MORE CAPTCHAS, verify my email, link my Rockstar Social account with my Epic account, and then, a solid half hour after the game was installed I get to play it. gently caress. this. noise. I had to fill out less information to take out a house loan.

Edit 2: Never mind I also had to log into my Rockstar Social Account and fill out more captchas, which were wrong so I had to do 5 of them.

Riatsala has a new favorite as of 23:55 on May 18, 2020

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The Rockstar launcher is a complete piece of poo poo and their captcha fetish makes me want to get a pirate copy of the game. And then it randomly loses the auto-login token so you get to train Google's self driving cars some more...

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Finally playing through the Metal Gear Solid HD collection since I barely touched the older games in the series before, maybe the single most dated thing I've noticed is the brightness setting in Snake Eater, a sometimes very darkly lit game. It's literally just a static screen that says "hey, adjust your TV until this looks bright enough!!!"
How did we even make it through that save era as a society :eng99:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Riatsala posted:

Can a smart person explain to me why every other game I get has to install DirectX? It's dragging down a lot of games that I want to play, lately.

Edit: Okay, you know what? gently caress GTA 5 in general. I'm not even playing the drat game yet and I'm tired of it

First download the hundred gig game, then install it, then install Direct X, then download the Rock Game Launcher, then it can't verify the game with the Epic Launcher, so you have to restart both, then I have to create a Rockstar Social account, which is capped off by 5(!) captchas where I identify crosswalks in pictures, but poo poo I got it wrong so I have to do a bonus captcha, but whoops the username is taken so I have to chose another name and do MORE CAPTCHAS, gently caress them up, do MORE CAPTCHAS, verify my email, link my Rockstar Social account with my Epic account, and then, a solid half hour after the game was installed I get to play it. gently caress. this. noise. I had to fill out less information to take out a house loan.

Edit 2: Never mind I also had to log into my Rockstar Social Account and fill out more captchas, which were wrong so I had to do 5 of them.

Glad I'm not the only one super annoyed by captcha fever.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Riatsala posted:

I have every sympathy, but I do feel we need to ask... Are you really, totally, completely sure you arent a robot?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I hate the 'click the crosswalk' captchas so much. Whatever happened to the wiggly letters? I miss the wiggly letters.

And you know what, if a robot wants to play GTA so badly, maybe we should let them.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

orcane posted:

The Rockstar launcher is a complete piece of poo poo and their captcha fetish makes me want to get a pirate copy of the game. And then it randomly loses the auto-login token so you get to train Google's self driving cars some more...

Don't forget that the rockstar launcher is infamously easy to hack and poo poo so there's a fairly good chance that within a week there will be a random russian just logging into your rockstar account. I sure hope you're not the kind of person who shares passwords with more than one account or device! Because boy howdy that sure was a problem when GTAV first came out, and it's still a problem because they've fixed literally nothing.

Anyway, to contrast my post in the other thread: I've been playing the Dark Souls 3 Cinders overhaul mod and mostly the experience is good to great, they've fixed up a lot of the issues with dark souls 3, introduced a lot of QoL changes that are fantastic and made the game pretty dang fun.

But here are my nitpicks about the whole thing:
It occasionally relies too much on poo poo enemies like the Pus of Man and the Corvians. Not that it like, goes hog wild placing them in areas they shouldn't be or anything, but in areas where they are? I just get annoyed having to deal with them because they're really not fun to fight and the devs love them. I sure do love the grappling ghru and shield ghru combos, guys, where I can't kill one guy because the other guy can block for him, but the one guy can just chain grab me forever and ever.

Durability is rear end. I guess I get why they brought it back, but it's not very fun when everything feels so fragile. I've started using the Moonlight Greatsword because it's the only item I've found with 999 durability. I don't like having to babysit my items condition, more or less, in any game.

Sometimes items just fall through the world. I'm not sure what causes it, exactly, but occasionally if you walk over a corpse and aren't fast enough to pick up the item, the little white glow will just fall through the floor. This has happened to more than one newly placed item from the DLC as well, I lost a unique pickup this way which is more weird than annoying honestly. Where did you go, item? Please come back.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Final Fantasy 15 has bad load times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I'm not saying people deserve that for playing GTAV, but I am saying that San Andreas still exists and is better in every single way.