Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.
On supercars, Zesty's right that there's no real consensus on 'best' (there are some that are duds, though). The differences at the top end won't really matter matter until you've unlocked all the tuning upgrades anyway. If you want a beginner's recommendation, the Zentorno has a lot of performance for a fairly reasonable price compared to the competition.

If you're into motorbikes instead of cars, the Bati 801 is a superb starting place (e: it's literally $9k, ie loose change). I really recommend a controller for riding though! FYI, GTA lets you use whatever control methods you want so you can freely and instantly switch between controller, mouse and keyboard.
Sadly, the days where you could rule a lobby with stickybombs/compact GL and riding skill are mostly gone due to power creep........but wait.... the Epic freebie pubbies don't know that :twisted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Zesty posted:

Here's the link to that. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1An_kcB7WFepgxEayKKNRCBORdxvEuwV59rW1EXyXQOg/edit

I disagree with all the grindy stuff he wants you to buy instead of doing Bogdan. It's the difference of $100-200k an hour doing it the Rockstar Approved way (to encourage you to buy shark cards) vs $4million an hour doing it the cheese way. But everyone can decide for themselves how they want to spend their time.

Cheating Bogdan is an exploit and may, eventually, someday get you in trouble with Daddy Rockstar. The guide is meant for people who want to make money solo legitimately because there a lot of new players who will own themselves if they don't know what they're doing. Your suggestion of exploiting Bogdan, besides being an exploit, boils down to "you play this game by not playing the game" and if people want to do that all the time they can go play an idle/incrementer game where number just go up.

About half of your post is bad, but what do I know, I've only been playing the game for the last three weeks and I can't remember the last time you logged in.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Thanks for that Google doc guide. I started playing Online just before the Epicgeddon and while I have 100+ level friends, it's good to get some idea of how to solo some of it while others are not playing.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

mp5 posted:

Your suggestion of exploiting Bogdan, besides being an exploit, boils down to "you play this game by not playing the game" and if people want to do that all the time they can go play an idle/incrementer game where number just go up.

"Watch number go up" is literally the "play legitimately" method. Grinding for months and months and months in solo lobbies for a thousand hours of play is not fun. If that's your idea of "playing the game" then I'll happily play it wrong.

mp5 posted:

About half of your post is bad, but what do I know, I've only been playing the game for the last three weeks and I can't remember the last time you logged in.

Whoa whoa whoa. You've been playing for the past three weeks. :jerkbag:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Ripper Swarm posted:

On supercars, Zesty's right that there's no real consensus on 'best' (there are some that are duds, though). The differences at the top end won't really matter matter until you've unlocked all the tuning upgrades anyway. If you want a beginner's recommendation, the Zentorno has a lot of performance for a fairly reasonable price compared to the competition.

If you're into motorbikes instead of cars, the Bati 801 is a superb starting place (e: it's literally $9k, ie loose change). I really recommend a controller for riding though! FYI, GTA lets you use whatever control methods you want so you can freely and instantly switch between controller, mouse and keyboard.
Sadly, the days where you could rule a lobby with stickybombs/compact GL and riding skill are mostly gone due to power creep........but wait.... the Epic freebie pubbies don't know that :twisted:

If you're into motorcycles, totally get the Western Gargoyle. A loving excellent bike. I had 10 at one point but I think I dropped it down to 6. Like to keep extra to respawn after an explosion and get back into the action.

Gargoyle + Compact Grenade Launcher

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/WelldocumentedFirstAngora-mobile.mp4

Also found this gem while looking for those:

Zesty fucked around with this message at 10:47 on May 18, 2020

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

Zesty posted:

Guns
-Carbine Rifle: Not special carbine but that's not terrible either. Generic shooty shooty. Aim for the head. Replace with MKII when you can.
-AP Pistol: Go-to weapon when shooting from inside a vehicle or boat.
-Sniper Rifle: Not the Heavy. This is for stealth PVE content. Add a silencer.

I feel like the Combat PDW should be on this list somewhere as "babby's first headshot gun" irt how easy it is to get and how good it is for so early in the game.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Yeah there's a hundred guns. Use whatever works well for you.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

It's a big game with a huge and varied amount of content, so work out what you enjoy and do that.

I am a bit envious of people who don't engage with the business mechanics and find enough in the game as a larks simulator but for me I would have dropped the game about 400 hours ago (... so many hours) if it hadn't felt like I had to put some effort in to buy the next shiny thing.

R* have created a cynical monetary system which often feels like it regards you with utter disdain but the most fun that me and my brother have had has been working through the various business loops and working out the most optimal strategies to make money out of them. At the same time yesterday we went for a bike ride from Paleto to the lighthouse, actively lost money by riding them in to a lake and had a great time.

Make sure when you play you stop sometimes to look around and explore, the sheer effort that has gone in to even the most inconsequential area is pretty amazing.

Btw if anyone's looking for starting out info, another good source is the two perma-pinned posts on the gtaonline reddit. One's full of guides to the various mechanics and the other is the current week's bonuses and discounts, which changes every Thursday. The bonuses are a good incentive to try out the different elements of the game at a time when the rewards aren't quite as miserly.

Fwoderwick fucked around with this message at 12:01 on May 18, 2020

Solarflare
Apr 21, 2008
Hi, I wanted to hop in the discord but it looks like the invite link in the OP is dead.

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!

Solarflare posted:

Hi, I wanted to hop in the discord but it looks like the invite link in the OP is dead.

Link in the PGS thread should be working properly :eng101:

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

this one also works

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
When I first started playing I made some lame cruising motorcycle with saddlebags into my "primary" vehicle with free insurance recovery. Did I gently caress up, like is there any way to make something else like a crotch rocket bike or a supercar into my primary free insurance vehicle and find some way to completely ditch that one?

Also I set up the money counterfeiting thing but I guess I have to stay logged in to actually get income? Is there a way to idle in-game with it minimized so I don't run up my electricity bill? I use 200 more watts with the game window visible than not, and it's getting hot outside too.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Zero VGS posted:

When I first started playing I made some lame cruising motorcycle with saddlebags into my "primary" vehicle with free insurance recovery. Did I gently caress up, like is there any way to make something else like a crotch rocket bike or a supercar into my primary free insurance vehicle and find some way to completely ditch that one?

Also I set up the money counterfeiting thing but I guess I have to stay logged in to actually get income? Is there a way to idle in-game with it minimized so I don't run up my electricity bill? I use 200 more watts with the game window visible than not, and it's getting hot outside too.
Common vehicles with a value under 100k can be stolen off the street and modified in Los Santos Customs to have a tracker (this will save it as your personal vehicle and requires an empty spot in your garages, if it blows up you have to pay the replacement in full), tracked vehicles can then have insurance added on top. Vehicles you buy off the in-game internet always come with insurance. If you buy a new vehicle you don't have garage space for, the game will ask you which vehicle to overwrite (that one is lost immediately). You can also drive vehicles you own to Los Santos Customs and sell them there. If you have multiple personal vehicles the last one you took out and used will be spawned near you for missions and stuff.

orcane fucked around with this message at 16:35 on May 18, 2020

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
dividing sparrows from the nightingales

mp5 posted:

boils down to "you play this game by not playing the game" and if people want to do that all the time they can go play an idle/incrementer game where number just go up.

Yeah, it's called buying a nightclub and it rules

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

orcane posted:

Common vehicles with a value under 100k can be stolen off the street and modified in Los Santos Customs to have a tracker (this will save it as your personal vehicle and requires an empty spot in your garages, if it blows up you have to pay the replacement in full), tracked vehicles can then have insurance added on top. Vehicles you buy off the in-game internet always come with insurance. If you buy a new vehicle you don't have garage space for, the game will ask you which vehicle to overwrite (that one is lost immediately). You can also drive vehicles you own to Los Santos Customs and sell them there. If you have multiple personal vehicles the last one you took out and used will be spawned near you for missions and stuff.

Oh gotcha, so the tracker+insured vehicle can be replaced free but that's only for cheap stuff, and I'm reading that the more expensive internet-purchased stuff is 1% every time I need it replaced.

The Coil Voltic is under 100k but probably not "common", is that one I can put a tracker on? I think it might be my favorite car because it's fairly good at squeezing through traffic, great acceleration and no engine noise. I see there's modifications that can improve acceleration but can anything alter the top speed? Uhh besides getting the rocket-boosted Voltic lol

edit: also what the gently caress, 3440x1440 and I get 54fps in Fullscreen, yet 68fps in Borderless Windowed standing in the exact same spot? I've gone back and forth and it's consistent. Usually games run faster in Fullscreen, not the other way around.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 18:00 on May 18, 2020

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Voltic is $150k, so not stealable. Sorry!

I'd recommend ignoring it, and looking into the Neon, Tezeract, Cyclone or Imorgon for your electric needs - all of them will outclass the standard Voltic by huge amounts.

Electrics don't have Turbos and Transmissions upgrades, so you're pretty much only able to up the acceleration through Engine upgrades.

Voltic top-speed is 106mph. Go with something better!

Sports:
https://gta.fandom.com/wiki/Neon Top Speed: 114mph
https://gta.fandom.com/wiki/Imorgon Top Speed: 110mph

Supers:
https://gta.fandom.com/wiki/Tezeract Top Speed: 125mph
https://gta.fandom.com/wiki/Cyclone Top Speed: 116mph

Otacon fucked around with this message at 18:08 on May 18, 2020

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
If you have a CEO office you can register as a CEO indefinitely, you can register as a VIP for a certain number of hours if you have a bank balance of like 50k.
If you are registered as a CEO or VIP and own a Buzzard you can spawn the Buzzard directly from the interaction menu for free with some hilariously low cooldown of like 3 minutes. Unlike normal aircraft spawns it will appear on the street next to you immediately rather than on some random runway/helipad.
Anyways because of that my recommendation for what new players should target is
-High End Apartment for heist planning and 10 car garage
-Buzzard for getting around
-CEO office for unlimited VIP/CEO

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Also how does a 7 year old game not have a sanity check for someone instant-exploding everyone in the server multiple times in a row?

Otacon posted:

Voltic is $150k, so not stealable. Sorry!

I'd recommend ignoring it, and looking into the Neon, Tezeract, Cyclone or Imorgon for your electric needs - all of them will outclass the standard Voltic by huge amounts.

Electrics don't have Turbos and Transmissions upgrades, so you're pretty much only able to up the acceleration through Engine upgrades.

Voltic top-speed is 106mph. Go with something better!

Sports:
https://gta.fandom.com/wiki/Neon Top Speed: 114mph
https://gta.fandom.com/wiki/Imorgon Top Speed: 110mph

Supers:
https://gta.fandom.com/wiki/Tezeract Top Speed: 125mph
https://gta.fandom.com/wiki/Cyclone Top Speed: 116mph

Ah thanks, those are all an extra digit to buy so I'll probably get more investments first. Also that Tron-styled bike looks like it owns, shame they didn't make that electric, I'll probably still buy it as soon as I can.

Edit: Is a Taxi with premium rush still the fastest way to get around the city while browsing the forums?

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 18:24 on May 18, 2020

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Zero VGS posted:

The game will log you out if afk too long but you can watch tv to avoid that. Remember to also quit president/ceo so you don't drain your money with upkeep costs. There's been some arguments about whether its cheaper to just buy shark cards instead of paying the electricity costs though, you'll have to do the math. Definitely not worth it for the dinky MC business. It's really only potentially worth it with a fully upgraded night club which costs a hell of a lot to set up.

If you're thinking of buying a shark card though there's better ways to spend that money for much more (levels and $GTA). Ask in the discord, some people have done it.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

Also how does a 7 year old game not have a sanity check for someone instant-exploding everyone in the server multiple times in a row?

The cynical answer is more grief=more shark cards bought for some people, presumably the logic goes that if you happened to be doing something that would have otherwise made you money at the time. But I can't fathom buying a shark card so I'm never really sure about that one.

The more realistic answer is the online mode is made with tissue and spit and sorting that out properly would be :effort: when the game makes money hand over fist anyway.

The flip side is there are beneficial exploits that they are equally uninterested in fixing like being able to suspend your GTAV process in task manager to put yourself in to a solo instance where none of R*s arbitrary limits on solo modes are in play.

VegasGoat posted:

The game will log you out if afk too long but you can watch tv to avoid that. Remember to also quit president/ceo so you don't drain your money with upkeep costs. There's been some arguments about whether its cheaper to just buy shark cards instead of paying the electricity costs though, you'll have to do the math. Definitely not worth it for the dinky MC business. It's really only potentially worth it with a fully upgraded night club which costs a hell of a lot to set up.

Maybe I'm missing something here but a $1.25million shark card is $19.99/£11.99/€14.99 and a bunker can produce just over $1million in 12 hours of afk'ing. I'm pretty certain 12 hours of PC time is more in the region of pennies, at least where I'm from?

Fwoderwick fucked around with this message at 18:44 on May 18, 2020

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
I mean I never have and never would spend IRL money on a game (I play F2P and I guess this game is technically F2P now), but I especially wouldn't buy a $20 shark card when two days in a row now I go into the GTAV airport and modders drop a million dollars on the ground.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Zero VGS posted:

Oh gotcha, so the tracker+insured vehicle can be replaced free but that's only for cheap stuff, and I'm reading that the more expensive internet-purchased stuff is 1% every time I need it replaced.

The Coil Voltic is under 100k but probably not "common", is that one I can put a tracker on? I think it might be my favorite car because it's fairly good at squeezing through traffic, great acceleration and no engine noise. I see there's modifications that can improve acceleration but can anything alter the top speed? Uhh besides getting the rocket-boosted Voltic lol
To be honest I don't know the current specifics about insurance ie. how much players have to pay in which situation. I always thought your first vehicle gets the same insurance all the others get (if you buy the insurance upgrade or buy the cars outright), what's free about it is you don't have to pay for the insurance upgrade in Los Santos Customs.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Fwoderwick posted:

Maybe I'm missing something here but a $1.25million shark card is $19.99/£11.99/€14.99 and a bunker can produce just over $1million in 12 hours of afk'ing. I'm pretty certain 12 hours of PC time is more in the region of pennies, at least where I'm from?

Yeah I'm obviously mistaken here, my bad. Definitely seems to be the opposite, my memory is lovely. Better off running the computer all night than buying cards. 6kwh is less than $1 in the us.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

It's kind of like a bitcoin you can't spend on drugs.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

SplitSoul posted:

It's kind of like a bitcoin you can't spend on drugs.

mods thread title please

GTA Online: It's kind of like a bitcoin you can't spend on drugs.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
I just got started again but I have all my old stuff. I have a 10 car garage with a bunch of super cars decked out with max engines etc. I have about half a million in the bank. I already have a yacht. Basically the game is mostly beaten already for me. But I see this new CEO stuff. How can I get the CEO office? I have a fancy house with a heist room already and put in the 100k for a heist, did 3/5 last night. Social Club name is NoDadYouShutUp if it ever lets you search people on the club. Is it possible to be invited to the most recent goon crew?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I have news for you: the game is not already beaten for you. One could even argue that if you don't have a CEO office, you haven't even started the game.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Further Adventures in Finance and Felony was the DLC that introduced CEO organizations and offices.

Launch date: June 7, 2016

There's been a LOT since.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Zesty posted:

Whoa whoa whoa. You've been playing for the past three weeks. :jerkbag:

You know exactly what i meant by "three weeks ago". Because a lot longer than three weeks ago I blew up your Vehicle Cargo and you slid into my DMs then came into the Discord and clutched pearls over the sanctity of the Fellowship Of The Ten Dollar SA Account

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Windows 98 posted:

I just got started again but I have all my old stuff. I have a 10 car garage with a bunch of super cars decked out with max engines etc. I have about half a million in the bank. I already have a yacht. Basically the game is mostly beaten already for me. But I see this new CEO stuff. How can I get the CEO office? I have a fancy house with a heist room already and put in the 100k for a heist, did 3/5 last night. Social Club name is NoDadYouShutUp if it ever lets you search people on the club. Is it possible to be invited to the most recent goon crew?

The CEO office is available in the Maze Bank Foreclosures section of Real Estate.

Theres a Goon Crew thread in PGS with info on how to get in

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

mp5 posted:

You know exactly what i meant by "three weeks ago". Because a lot longer than three weeks ago I blew up your Vehicle Cargo and you slid into my DMs then came into the Discord and clutched pearls over the sanctity of the Fellowship Of The Ten Dollar SA Account

No, and yes?

Stop being toxic to goons on forums and in-game?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Folks who got the game free from Epic also got the criminal enterprise starter pack, right? That includes a bunch of properties and cars. Nothing really special but I think it includes a Turismo R, which is a Good Enough supercar for a new player. As well as a CEO office, MC clubhouse, and bunker, all the worst locations but they're a starting point for getting better.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I picked up the game from Epic as well (after playing it on PS3 back in the day) and so far developing businesses seems like quite a hassle. Trying to save money to buy a car warehouse to start doing some more of that CEO stuff and in the mean time been running the MC club, money laundering and the bunker. Mostly been doing the Sightseeing CEO mission for money.

Everything needs supplies pretty drat often, which is annoying, and to save money you'll have to do the supply missions quite a lot. I'm especially wary about the bunker since it tends to spend a lot but hasn't yet really made anything (granted, haven't had money for any upgrades for any location).

Apart from grindy businesses the online part is fun with friends (when it works, that is, we've had a huge number of errors, crashes and disconnects) but if I understood it correctly only one person can be the "boss" at a time and the whole crew cannot upgrade one MC club / business for everyone but each individually, which kinda sucks.

And whoever put the captcha in the launcher should burn. Good luck trying to find that fire hydrant in pictures that make Loch Ness monster pic look like HD level image.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 23:29 on May 18, 2020

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
EGS has the starter pack, yes. And the Turismo R is perfectly serviceable in terms of fast cars, especially if you're starting out with one for free. I actually quite liked driving that one. It also comes with the Omnis, which is great fun. Also looks like a rectangle.

TeaJay posted:

I picked up the game from Epic as well (after playing it on PS3 back in the day) and so far developing businesses seems like quite a hassle.

This is the most accurate first impression you could have, so, congrats on getting it completely right. I wish I could disagree with you.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
This game is the most user unfriendly I've ever experienced. Me and a friend got this for free from the Epic store in order to just have some fun with the online part. First four days we couldnt even get online at all. Fair enough server loads and all that. Today we managed to get in. We create out characters, and theres a prompt to skip the tutorial. We figure since we both played this at release we kinda know the basics so we skipped. Turns out we cant join each others session without having completed the tutorial.... And apparently there is no way to start the tutorial once you skipped it. We had to then create new characters and go through the tutorial. But it doesnt seem to tell you when its complete, so we are clueless as to what to do. I get mission prompts from simeon and Gerald while my friend gets nothing. We spent over an hour trying to figure this stuff out, navigating through labyrinthine menus, dealing with ridiculous loading times, disconnects, hackers wiping out every player on the servers we were on, and still didn't manage to play together.

JFC. All i wanted was to dress up in tiger pants and a cowboy hat and rob liquor stores with my buddy.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

FuturePastNow posted:

Folks who got the game free from Epic also got the criminal enterprise starter pack, right? That includes a bunch of properties and cars. Nothing really special but I think it includes a Turismo R, which is a Good Enough supercar for a new player. As well as a CEO office, MC clubhouse, and bunker, all the worst locations but they're a starting point for getting better.

The CEO Office location is largely irrelevant, you never need to go there urgently. You almost never need to set foot in the MC Clubhouse so that's fine too.

The Paleto Bunker, and investing any money into it, is a trap for new players and should be avoided.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
What are the best business / office / etc. locations?

I know for apartments people used to pick the one near the bank to cheese the final original heist or the one downtown because $ and direct freeway access for the other heists (?).

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

orcane posted:

I know for apartments people used to pick the one near the bank to cheese the final original heist or the one downtown because $ and direct freeway access for the other heists (?).

I just go off of this. It's been linked before I know that.

But it's basically "do not even set foot into Paleto or Grapeseed" to start.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

orcane posted:

Everyone has their preferences.

Heist apartments: Del Perro is great for a few heist setups that take place along the western highway. Alta is great for Fleeca Job and required for getting the elite challenge bonus. Eclipse is great for Pacific Standard, as is Integrity.

Businesses: If you're doing MC club stuff, I can't comment - I bought the cheapest ones and just use them for Nightclub sales - gently caress Postop vans forever. Centralized locations are generally gonna be more expensive but are worth it since sales can go North East South and West and now you're half way there already. Look for ones with near-by highway access. The posted guide above has more gooder info.

Office: I prefer Lombank because it doesn't have stairs on the roof and you exit the office to the roof right next to your parked helicopter. The cheapest (Maze Bank West, free with starter pack) is fine too. Avoid the most expensive Maze Bank Tower since it takes forever for your chopper to gain enough altitude to land on it, and it has 2 stairways to get between your chopper and your office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

TeaJay posted:

I picked up the game from Epic as well (after playing it on PS3 back in the day) and so far developing businesses seems like quite a hassle. Trying to save money to buy a car warehouse to start doing some more of that CEO stuff and in the mean time been running the MC club, money laundering and the bunker. Mostly been doing the Sightseeing CEO mission for money.

for what it's worth Headhunter is faster unless you have a very fast plane, you have 4 targets to kill and they're always all in Los Santos, 2 in vehicles and 2 standing at locations.

You're on the right track with sightseer though