Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
I don't know if as a solution architect I'm allowed to post in this thread anymore, but gently caress it, this is happening. I'm pissed and I need to commiserate with some tech people.

Until March, I was the only SA at one of the major airlines here in Canada, but then got laid off for obvious reasons. Been doing the interview thing for the past couple months, and thought I might have found something decent.

I just finished the third Zoom interview with this place i've been talking to all week but I don't know that i'd say it went well, mostly because he told me that the job that i had applied for was not actually what they needed.

The posting was for a "cloud architect". On the first phone call, guy 1 (the CIO and one of the three owners hunted me down on a Saturday and was super insistent we chat (a good sign)) tells me they're hiring full time (important because my wife is sick and we need health benefits), and their company is about 30 people. Second call, guy 2 (CEO / President, one of the three owners) says they're only hiring contractors, and their company is 40 people. The third call, guy 3 (lead architect, the final owner) says the job is not really a cloud architect role but rather a software development team lead position, and their company is 22 people and would be 23 with me.

Guy 3 starts asking me to do deep dive on SQL tuning vs. NoSQL tuning and is surprised when I can describe the differences between the two types of DBs but have very little in-the-weeds knowledge. No where on my resume does software development even get hinted at, because while I enjoy it as a hobby on occasion, I don't do it professionally, certainly not to some crazy level, and not to a level I'd feel comfortable defending in a job interview.

It feels like they can't even get their stories straight, let alone know what they need.

Are all companies this fucken dysfunctional?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Pretty much :smith:

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Always trust Guy 3. Don't expect a C-Level to actually have a good grasp on what's going on down in the rank and file.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

less than three posted:

Always trust Guy 3. Don't expect a C-Level to actually have a good grasp on what's going on down in the rank and file.

Seconding.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
I sent them a "Thanks but no thanks" email about 20 minutes ago. The CEO just got back to me basically saying 'yep, we hosed up; thanks for putting up with our poo poo' but the best part was the last line:

"P.S. The actual number of people at [COMPANY] is 28."

Turns out it was actually secret option D!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

No health insurance and no income might actually be better than that.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Sounds like one hell of a bullet dodged.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam
Hospital printer tech checking in now that I've caught up with the thread.

I've been pretty well taken care of as I work, I have N95's and the masking policies are pretty good. Here's a practice that is bad.

I was on one of the covid floors in an office at the end of a hall replacing a blown psu on a printer when respiratory went into a room two doors down from where I was, full gowns, masks, face shields equipped. They started aerosolizing the patient. They left the door open.

I immediately contacted a higher up in the department that I'm on good terms with and they were pretty horrified. She told me the following week that the patient being aerosolized had died that night. At this point I'm thinking I wasn't actually exposed, but drat I'm thankful for the N95s.

Edit: A positive - my girlfriend has been complaining about shopping, how people aren't following the one way aisles, aren't using masks or using them improperly, etc. I did some shopping yesterday and wore an N95 and my hospital badge. People gave me a *wide* berth. One guy without a mask was standing and looking at stuff I needed, saw me coming, and literally ran to the next aisle. I'm doing the shopping from now on.

Oyster fucked around with this message at 20:24 on May 15, 2020

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Buy some scrubs to wear to the grocery store too, should work even better.

Actually, I should do that.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Buy some scrubs to wear to the grocery store too, should work even better.

Actually, I should do that.

Oooh, same.

I've settled on sewing increasingly confrontational masks. Various types of camo seem to be working so far (combined with a Tank Girl-esque hairstyle, because gently caress going to the stylist). Adding my work badge would probably help when combined with scrubs, since it just has my photo and not any employer info.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Oooh, same.

I've settled on sewing increasingly confrontational masks. Various types of camo seem to be working so far (combined with a Tank Girl-esque hairstyle, because gently caress going to the stylist). Adding my work badge would probably help when combined with scrubs, since it just has my photo and not any employer info.

Get this one

https://twitter.com/Phineas/status/1253089303187595269

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Gonna get this and run around the store yelling "WITNESS ME!"

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

less than three posted:

Third, and you can trust me on that.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

spankmeister posted:

Gonna get this and run around the store yelling "WITNESS ME!"

No, you should run around judging people that have masks worn improperly and call them "Mediocre".

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Putting all our systems, including laptops on the new domain as part of the rebuild. Friday. User comes in and grabs the laptop she gave us to wipe and re-image off the table while everybody but me is out deploying, and I'm out at lunch. User didn't login on-site to cache her credentials, she doesn't even know the password to her new domain account. Just took it.

A ticket came in on Saturday. User can't login, has critical things to finish by Monday afternoon. Reply first thing on Monday for her to come to the building so we can get her set up.

User doesn't want to come back in, is upset because the laptop was supposed to be finished.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Is there any way you can retro-actively declare a security incident for a stolen laptop?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Arquinsiel posted:

Is there any way you can retro-actively declare a security incident for a stolen laptop?

Aren't they always retro-active?

Unless you are planning to steal one. :thunk:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Well I mean fake the documentation so that it looks like you genuinely thought it was stolen on Friday and now have to investigate them as if they are covering up but we may as well just start grabbing what we can I suppose.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I don't need it - I have an N95 dust mask with replaceable filters I bought for mowing and woodworking I bought before "these uncertain times" - but I'm buying that, just because.
Same store also has a Xenomorph one: https://octophant.threadless.com/designs/xenophobe/accessories/face-mask/layered

klosterdev posted:

Putting all our systems, including laptops on the new domain as part of the rebuild. Friday. User comes in and grabs the laptop she gave us to wipe and re-image off the table while everybody but me is out deploying, and I'm out at lunch. User didn't login on-site to cache her credentials, she doesn't even know the password to her new domain account. Just took it.

A ticket came in on Saturday. User can't login, has critical things to finish by Monday afternoon. Reply first thing on Monday for her to come to the building so we can get her set up.

User doesn't want to come back in, is upset because the laptop was supposed to be finished.

I sincerely love users who create problems and hen are upset that they created a problem. They sustain my rage and general distaste for the human race. They allow me to target, rather than hating everyone. Some of the time.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

An email came in from a user saying their password expired and to please set a new one for them.

Uh, no, we can't do password resets by email. Especially when you EMAIL US THE PASSWORDS.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

dragonshardz posted:

An email came in from a user saying their password expired and to please set a new one for them.

Uh, no, we can't do password resets by email. Especially when you EMAIL US THE PASSWORDS.

Jesus, that's "disable their account until they have an uncomfortable conversation with Risk Management and HR" for where I work. Possibly disable their account and don't bother re-enabling it.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Thanatosian posted:

Jesus, that's "disable their account until they have an uncomfortable conversation with Risk Management and HR" for where I work. Possibly disable their account and don't bother re-enabling it.

Our infosec team is literally one person.

All that I am currently able to do is censor their dumbfuckery in the reply and wag my finger. Politely.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

a buddy of mine posted this resolution to end all resolutions

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

bobmarleysghost posted:

a buddy of mine posted this resolution to end all resolutions

"Reverted."

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Data Graham posted:

"Reverted."

God DAMMIT.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Darchangel posted:

I don't need it - I have an N95 dust mask with replaceable filters I bought for mowing and woodworking I bought before "these uncertain times" - but I'm buying that, just because.

Cut holes for the filter mounts and wear it as a mask for your mask

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Moatman posted:

Cut holes for the filter mounts and wear it as a mask for your mask

doublin' up for safety.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
My boss has officially lost his goddamned mind.

The quarantine has been tough for everyone but he’s gone full Nero. He left the principal a voicemail last week at 2:00a to inform her we need to call an emergency meeting of the handbook planning committee to update the school uniform to require school-branded facial masks. Then he called the Public Relations girl and told her to design school-branded masks.

We don’t have a school uniform.

Then he called me. At 3:28 in the morning on a Tuesday.

He called me eight times until I answered.

He called me to lecture me for having my email sign-off set to “Thanks!” because exclamations should never be used in an email in a professional setting (fair) and he reads my emails as sarcastic, confrontational, and insulting because of it. I am NEVER to put another exclamation mark in any of my emails ever again because he will NOT be insulted like that.

About a month ago I sent an email to administration asking if it would be appropriate to email the parent email list about a data rate change by a mobile carrier benefitting students. I don’t like to use external mailing lists unless it’s absolutely necessary to avoid parents being spammed with emails from the school, and imo that seems pretty reasonable. My boss reply-alled (and I quote): “Did you really just ask that?? LOL!!!!! Please don’t waste our time asking stuff like this”

Also he calls regularly to admonish me for emailing him something I should have called about and calling about things I should email about and there is absolutely no goddamned rhyme or reason to any of it.

Literally everything I do is wrong.

BUT, I’m leaving. I’m out. I’m moving to Denver, I’ve decided. I’ve found a place. I’m prepping to sell my house. I’ve discussed my situation and arrangements for my kids with their mom. I just need a job waiting for me before I pull the trigger, so I’m taking immense pleasure in peppering the area with my glorious resume.

Speaking of which, if anyone in the Denver area has any job leads for a project management level position (especially in education), I’d love any assistance you can offer because I want to be out of here by the end of summer at the latest.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Your boss called you 8 times at 3 in the morning to talk to you about email punctuation? That is someone with mental health problems.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I miss your stories larches, even though they're always extremely WTF.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Sickening posted:

Your boss called you 8 times at 3 in the morning to talk to you about email punctuation? That is someone with mental health problems.
Yeah, that's a call their boss and raise concerns level thing.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

larchesdanrew posted:

BUT, I’m leaving. I’m out. I’m moving to Denver, I’ve decided. I’ve found a place. I’m prepping to sell my house. I’ve discussed my situation and arrangements for my kids with their mom. I just need a job waiting for me before I pull the trigger, so I’m taking immense pleasure in peppering the area with my glorious resume.
Good luck! As much as I've enjoyed your stories I'm glad you're getting out before you descend into madness yourself.

When you email your boss that you're quitting, make sure to end every sentence with an exclamation mark.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Arquinsiel posted:

Yeah, that's a call their boss and raise concerns level thing.

Fun fact: he’s the superintendent, essentially, and only answers to the Department of Education for the state and I’m preeeeetty sure their complaints department is just a mail slot that leads to a paper shredder because we have been filing complaints for years and they just do not give one single poo poo about us.

Any action will have to involve media attention and I don’t need that kind of attention.

Collateral Damage posted:

When you email your boss that you're quitting, make sure to end every sentence with an exclamation mark.

We have plans. PR, Admissions, and myself are all single person departments with too much foist upon us and we’re routinely publicly humiliated and bullied. So we’re all coordinating submitting our two weeks’ notices on or around the same day. We want to break this demon posing as a humanoid.

A Frosty Witch fucked around with this message at 14:11 on May 28, 2020

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
You're on the way out anyway, file a restraining order

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

larchesdanrew posted:

Any action will have to involve media attention and I don’t need that kind of attention.
Yeah, you don't need that when trying to set yourself up somewhere else.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

larchesdanrew posted:

We have plans. PR, Admissions, and myself are all single person departments with too much foist upon us and we’re routinely publicly humiliated and bullied. So we’re all coordinating submitting our two weeks’ notices on or around the same day. We want to break this demon posing as a humanoid.

Oh that sounds like it's going to be amazing.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

larchesdanrew posted:

:flashfap:

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Dude, have a quiet word with the people above your boss with a business version of your post written in a letter. Produce the irrefutable proof (e.g. incoming calls list on mobile bill) if you have it and it's wanted, but this is clear "have a word and get away from this guy" territory.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
We're gonna feel a seismic event coming from the southeastern United States when this bomb drops. I wish I knew someone in Denver to help the Larch Tsar Bomba along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
I remember being in a position where answering the crazy boss’s calls at 3am wasn’t something I could avoid, and she was a part owner in the company. And HR.

Good luck, Larches. Stick it to em as hard as you can on the way out.