Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

ded posted:

The Big Show: The Classic Account of WWII Aerial Combat

https://www.amazon.com/Big-Show-Classic-Account-Aerial-ebook/dp/B07NJ9DRCX

Logs of a Free French pilot with the RAF in Spitfires and Tempests turned into a semblance of a story. It does not mince words and is a bit dreary. He was sent in to a lot of bad attacks.

Free on kindle unlimited.

Yes! This is great fuckin book. Read it if you haven’t.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Sad King Billy posted:

I notice that the old war literature thread went into the archives. I'm after some recommendations for new books to read so selfishly, this new thread has been created.

I've can recommend the following books. You've probably read most of them.

Quartered Safe Out Here by George MacDonald Fraser
A recounting of his experiences in Burma during WW2. I got a real sense of the characters who served with him and it is telling that he held onto his hate for the Japanese long after the war ended.
Fraser wrote the Flashman series and his ability as a storyteller shines through here.

This one was absolutely great. Thanks for the recommendation.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Anyone read Callsign Chaos? On a whim I put it on my list to read this year. Should I read it or consider replacing it with something else in the same type of genre (which I believe is military leadership or leadership in general with anecdotes if I’m not mistaken)?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Read some Navy SEAL leadership books to impress your bosses

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
Poilu: The World War I Notebooks of Corporal Louis Barthas, Barrelmaker, 1914-1918 The notebooks of a very lucky and very angry French soldier who survived WW1. I have heard many, many recommendations of this.

Red Cavalry by Isaac Babel. A series of stories about the Russian Civil War and the Polish-Russian War of the early 1920's, the writer was a journalist attached to the Soviet cavalry.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Read some Navy SEAL leadership books to impress your bosses

Extreme Ownership is actually good. I'm not brave enough to ready anything else such as Frontline Canoeing: Driving Results The SEAL Way

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Extreme ownership can be summed up in “just pretend you have full responsibility for everything that happens around you” which is all right but not really worth a whole book.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

so is mattis's book worth a read or not

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

colachute posted:

so is mattis's book worth a read or not

Not.

It’s as good as a Genera Flynn book at this point. And you don’t want to enable him.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
The Unknown soldier by Finnish author Vainno Linna. It follows a Finnish machinegun company during Finlands continuation war with Soviet. The author himself was a veteran of that war, and writes in a very down to earth and realistic way. I heartily recommend it.

Dammit_Carl!
Mar 5, 2013
War Without Garlands: Operation Barbarossa 1941-1942 by Robert Kershaw. A rather gripping history of the first push into the Soviet Union by the Germans. Unique (to me) as it does a pretty good job in fleshing out some of the details that always seem to be presented in drier terms; i.e. Soviet Army encirclements, the final drive on Moscow, etc. Dovetails nicely with the Guy Sajer book.

DinosaurWarfare
Apr 27, 2010
Does anyone have book recommendations on the US Civil War, the (American) Indian Wars, or the British empire’s shenanigans in the 1800s?

This is a time period of become fascinated with semi recently, and I can’t tell reputable books from lovely books at Barnes and noble.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

I learned everything I know about the British empire's 1800s shenanigans from the Flashman series.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

DinosaurWarfare posted:

Does anyone have book recommendations on the US Civil War,

Apostles of Disunion will get you up to speed on why "the Civil War wasn't about slavery" is complete and utter bullshit.

The Civil War by Shelby Foote is a classic narrative encompassing the entire war and can give you a decent starting place to find any particular rabbit hole you want to dive into.

If you have specifics you want to read about, let me know. The American Civil War was my degree concentration.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

McNally posted:

Apostles of Disunion will get you up to speed on why "the Civil War wasn't about slavery" is complete and utter bullshit.

The Civil War by Shelby Foote is a classic narrative encompassing the entire war and can give you a decent starting place to find any particular rabbit hole you want to dive into.

If you have specifics you want to read about, let me know. The American Civil War was my degree concentration.

Foote's trilogy is good and a solid narrative, but even Foote himself has admited he had a bias for the Confederacy/South. Personally I'd recommend McPherson's Battle Cry of Freedom as an intro and then dive into Foote's trilogy afterwards.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

haha wow Shelby Foote was court martialed out of the army in WW2 for falsifying motor pool documents after stealing a jeep to visit his future ex-wife who left him for the Bockscar bombardier.

I think we may have a new candidate for Mt. Gipmore

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

shame on an IGA posted:

haha wow Shelby Foote was court martialed out of the army in WW2 for falsifying motor pool documents after stealing a jeep to visit his future ex-wife who left him for the Bockscar bombardier.

:lol: That is amazing.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Handsome Ralph posted:

Foote's trilogy is good and a solid narrative, but even Foote himself has admited he had a bias for the Confederacy/South. Personally I'd recommend McPherson's Battle Cry of Freedom as an intro and then dive into Foote's trilogy afterwards.

I mean, he straight up admits it in the foreword of volume one, so it's not like he hid it.

But yeah, anything McPherson is a solid choice. I was blanking on which one to recommend though.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

If you want a "Why France Fell" account from a guy who was there, who wrote it in 1940 just after defeat, and who was both a historian and executed by the Gestapo for his work in the resistance, this is $2.99 on Kindle.

https://www.amazon.com/Strange-Defeat-Marc-Bloch-ebook-dp-B07K4T4XJT/dp/B07K4T4XJT/ref=mt_kindle?_encoding=UTF8&me=&qid=

It's really good and you don't get many first person accounts from a trained historian that was actually there when the poo poo went down. (Obviously you don't get a lot of pulled-back analysis and sourcing and it's pretty clear he wasn't a fan of the generals, if you want to consider that a flaw).

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 20, 2020

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
I can't remember where Achilles in Vietnam by Jon Shay was recommended. I think it was in Zeris' old moral injury thread back in the upper Cretaceous. In any case, wow, what a great read. Powerful and insightful. Shay is a psychiatrist who worked extensively with nam vets suffering from PTSD and moral injury. The book draws on the descriptions of the war experience of those vets and draws comparisons against classical narratives (especially the Iliad) of going to war to examine causes, effects, and suggestions for healing for the psychological trauma of combat. Highest recommendation for any of my fellow brokebrains here

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Apr 25, 2020

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

shame on an IGA posted:

gently caress

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Just finished Brendan Koerner's Now the Hell Will Start, the story of the manhunt for Herman Perry. Vivid picture of not only vintage 1940s racism, but the outrageous ratfuck that was the building of the Ledo Road from Burma into China.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I read Matterhorn this week. It was excellent in nearly every way.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

bloops posted:

I read Matterhorn this week. It was excellent in nearly every way.

It's been ten years since I've read it and it still sticks with me. Might re-read it this year.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
I've now finished everything I have in my bookcase. So here are a few recommendations.

The Long Day's Dying by Alan White

A pretty rare book but is available fairly cheaply on eBay. The author was a commando in the Second World War and I think it is loosely based on his experiences. A very quick read but intense in a psychological way. I definitely found it interesting. A movie adaption was filmed in 1968

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Long_Day%27s_Dying
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13261634-the-long-day-s-dying

Relentless Strike by Sean Naylor

I bought this book a few years back on the recommendation of this forum. A very good read and I might give it another go. It is about the various special operations groups that took part in operations in Iraq.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Relentless-Strike-History-Special-Operations/dp/1250014549

...and some military Sci-Fi that I have read.

Passage At Arms by Glenn Cook

Submarine warfare in space, a very tense book which I think is a classic. A lot of people in the Book Barn Sci-Fi thread appreciate it, but I don't think it has the appreciation it deserves.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Passage-at-Arms-Glen-Cook/dp/1597801194

We All Died At Breakaway Station by Richard C Meredith

It would be fair to say that this book has a few issues. its treatment of women definitely dates it, they are effectively sex objects or incompetent. However, the alien psychology of the protagonists is well thought out and the central idea of troops being patched up with any technology available and sent back out asap is quite horrifying. I do have my reservations about the material but it was still a good read.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/585516.We_All_Died_At_Breakaway_Station

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Sad King Billy posted:

Passage At Arms by Glenn Cook

Submarine warfare in space, a very tense book which I think is a classic. A lot of people in the Book Barn Sci-Fi thread appreciate it, but I don't think it has the appreciation it deserves.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Passage-at-Arms-Glen-Cook/dp/1597801194

Reading everything Glen Cook writes is an extremely good use of your time. Dude was, IIRC, a QM1 back in the day.

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

I just finished With The Old Breed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/With_the_Old_Breed

Pacific War through the eyes of a USMC mortarman. I think it should be required reading for anyone with the authority to send soldiers into harm’s way.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Itchy_Grundle posted:

I just finished With The Old Breed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/With_the_Old_Breed

Pacific War through the eyes of a USMC mortarman. I think it should be required reading for anyone with the authority to send soldiers into harm’s way.

Its a drat good and very grisly book.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Extreme ownership can be summed up in “just pretend you have full responsibility for everything that happens around you” which is all right but not really worth a whole book.

military leadership: when a higher up is around, tell someone to do something that they're already doing then look at your boss smugly

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

"The Short Timers" that Full Metal Jacket was adapted from is an amazing read. It was supposed to be a trilogy where in the third book he goes back to Vietnam to join the VC but the author died after writing the second novel.

https://msuweb.montclair.edu/~furrg/i2l/shorttimers.pdf

Here is the PDF.

The wiki on the author is also interesting. He himself was a combat correspondent that was in combat in Hue. Afterwards other than writing it appears he enjoyed stealing books from libraries and had a storage container full of more than 10,000 books he had stolen.

Dammit_Carl!
Mar 5, 2013
https://www.warbooks.co.za/collections/e-books

Free poo poo, yo.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Hell in a very small place was fuckin great, thanks thread. Some dated racial stereotyping that clearly was a product of its time but other than that it was insanely gripping.

Just finished Spain In Our Hearts by Adam Hochschild. Mostly a history of American volunteers in the Spanish Civil War but also provides a nice overview of the geopolitical situation and how it impacted the outcome of that conflict. It’s good.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

DinosaurWarfare posted:

Does anyone have book recommendations on the British empire’s shenanigans in the 1800s?

This is a time period of become fascinated with semi recently, and I can’t tell reputable books from lovely books at Barnes and noble.

You want shooting leave which is the real accounts of stuff in the vein of flashman.

The Great Game by Peter Hopkirk

Trespassers on the roof of the world is also excellent.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
Came across another recommendation that might appeal. For some reason, the chap who posted it refuses to post here. So I did it for him.

quantumfoam posted:

Just finished reading a amazingly stupid book.
It's non-fiction but totally fits here since I refuse to post in the Gip subforum.

Book is called The spy who couldn't spell by Yudhijit Bhattacharjee.

The titular spy was an idiot senior NCO in the US Air Force that managed to score a no-uniform required dream posting at the National Reconnaissance Office, then proceeded to gently caress everything up by being peak enlisted_stupidity.txt 24 hours a day/7 times a week/365 days a year.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
D DAY Through German Eyes - The Hidden Story of June 6th 1944

Holger Eckhertz

Intense look of the fighting during and following D Day that follows several units taken from first hand accounts years after the war.

https://www.amazon.com/DAY-Through-...ps%2C191&sr=8-1

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Mr-Spain posted:

D DAY Through German Eyes - The Hidden Story of June 6th 1944

Holger Eckhertz

Intense look of the fighting during and following D Day that follows several units taken from first hand accounts years after the war.

https://www.amazon.com/DAY-Through-...ps%2C191&sr=8-1

I read this during hurricane florence hours before my house flooded because it was a good "yeah this isn't so bad" comparison but... I think it's fake. All the stories are just a little too perfect and no one can find any record of any of the soldiers named.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

shame on an IGA posted:

I read this during hurricane florence hours before my house flooded because it was a good "yeah this isn't so bad" comparison but... I think it's fake. All the stories are just a little too perfect and no one can find any record of any of the soldiers named.

drat, I'll have to look into that.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Neptune's Inferno

I just finished this one. Guadalcanal seems to get a little less attention than Pearl Harbor, Midway, or Leyte Gulf, but it's arguably as important as any of them. Hornfischer is an excellent author. He takes the difficult task of looking at a chaotic, confusing and rapidly changing environment and creates a narrative out of it, complete with a lot of personal stories without turning it sensationalist. He also casts a very fair eye on the actions of both the Americans and the Japanese without letting nationalism get in the way. If military or naval history interests you even remotely, this and his other - Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors - are absolutely worth your time. Bonus points for the picture of the New Orleans with her entire bow blasted off but still afloat.

Burning Beard
Nov 21, 2008

Choking on bits of fallen bread crumbs
Oh, this burning beard, I have come undone
It's just as I've feared. I have, I have come undone
Bugger dumb the last of academe

OK, been on a tear since mid-2020. The highlights:

-Grant by Ron Chernow: I used this as a text for my military history course. The first part of the book is his military career. If you didn't think so already by the end you'll see that Grant was probably the best soldier this country has ever produced.

-Twilight of the Gods by Ian Toll: Another book I used for class. About the ending phases of the Pacific war and just how powerful the US Navy was. Toll sticks it to Halsey pretty good because of his lapses in judgement that killed scores of sailors. Ray Spruance should have been the Five Star.

-No Miracles: The Failure of Soviet Decision Making in the Afghan War: For obvious reasons this book is pretty timely. Compare and contrast. At least the Soviets made the withdrawal into a sort of ceremony.

-Boyd: The Fighter Pilot Who Changed the Art of War: OK, you guys know The Pentagon Wars? Well, this is the guy that set all that off. John Boyd, frankly, belongs on Mount GiPmore. He forced the A-10, the F-16 and the F-15 on the Air Force instead of more swing wing F-111 clones. He hated the B-1. He thought planes like the F-35 were over priced junk (he died in 1997 which says something) He also wrote about warfare in a way that took off from Clausewitz and gave the Marines some theory to back up their warfighting. I am plowing though his 400 plus slide presentation entitled A Discourse on Winning and Losing which is as close to something he authored as there will ever be. The Air Force disliked him. The Pentagon resented him, the Marines love him and you should read this book ASAP. Don't start with any of his presentations though. Start with this book, it's a introduction you'll need.

https://www.coljohnboyd.com/ Collects most of the material about him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

The Tango War: The Struggle for the Hearts, Minds and Riches of Latin America During World War II by Mary Jo McConahay. Fascinating look at what was going on in central and South America during the war. Massive German colonies in Brazil, Mexican oil fueling u-boats, Orson Welles making an epic film that was suppressed, it’s a great read.