Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I had always heard DeVito came onboard just because he was a fan and he's rich enough to do whatever he wants

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

precision posted:

I had always heard DeVito came onboard just because he was a fan and he's rich enough to do whatever he wants

That would be pretty weird since he joined the show on like the 7th episode.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Never knew that. Can't imagine that they were opposed to it. DeVito was a major addition to Always Sunny.

Yeah there are no hard feelings about DeVito, he rules. The issue was the "get a name or get wrecked" ultimatum. You can see a few meta jibes throughout the show, how he basically gets to tag along because he's got the money, and how weird their schemes have gotten since he's been around to bankroll them.

e: Here's how Danny DeVito saved 'It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia' from getting canceled <--- article where they're completely honest about it.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Papercut posted:

His first episode was the second season premier.

SunshineDanceParty fucked around with this message at 16:27 on May 18, 2020

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

Papercut posted:

he came in the 8th episode, the first season was only 7, and it's absolutely true. here's the clip where Rob explains it to Stephen Colbert:
https://youtu.be/UytuyWBXlwc

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

precision posted:

Ah. Yeah....I guess I have heard that too. I mean....the second season was a huge improvement over the first. But that's true for SO many shows. I'm sure that Always Sunny would have been good either way....but there is no way that it would have ruled nearly as much without DeVito.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

precision posted:

That's bog-standard industryspeak. "I've been a fan since the beginning" "I've read the comics since I was a kid" "I've been a fan of their work for years" No one in Hollywood has ever worked with someone they've never heard of or on a project that wasn't a labor of love.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Well I'm glad he did

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The racist poo poo was added more and more as time went on because it was Chevy. Plus he was just talking about dream casting, neither would ever have taken the job.

Yeah, I would have to fo back and rewatch it, but I'm pretty sure his character in the pilot is old, out-of-touch guy who unwittingly says offensive stuff. That's easily a role Fred Willard could have played.

ChickenMedium posted:

That's bog-standard industryspeak. "I've been a fan since the beginning" "I've read the comics since I was a kid" "I've been a fan of their work for years" No one in Hollywood has ever worked with someone they've never heard of or on a project that wasn't a labor of love.
Danny Devito was a producer on Reno 911 and there is some overlap between the shows. It's not that far fetched in this case.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I watched Always Sunny as it aired and I felt like introducing Devito was a gimmicky step down and I missed the dynamic of the first season.

However many seasons later I'll happily admit I was wrong wrong wrong.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Apparently his daughter turned him into IASIP and it was a major reason it got renewed I think

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

His daughter is great in the super underrated Deadbeat, on Hulu. That show was cut too short.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

well no more free HBO on hulu so I only got three seasons into the sopranos.

It seemed like it was getting a bit formulaic though, someone sympathetic is a rat, someone who's put into the family by merger/deals/whatever ends up being a shithead. Tony shows himself as an antihero protagonist by gleefully getting rid of the latter, regretfully the former.

I know how the series final plays out. Does season 4+ change the formula considerably?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

It seemed like it was getting a bit formulaic though, someone sympathetic is a rat, someone who's put into the family by merger/deals/whatever ends up being a shithead. Tony shows himself as an antihero protagonist by gleefully getting rid of the latter, regretfully the former.

I know how the series final plays out. Does season 4+ change the formula considerably?

No. I get that it was revolutionary for 1999 when it first aired. But watching it for the first time with all of the quality television we have today, I think your assessment is correct, in retrospect it is pretty formulaic. Great acting, but I got bored with it, and I only finished it at the insistence of an ex.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
With the Sopranos it's about the characters. If you don't enjoy the interactions between the characters you're definitely gonna feel like it's overhyped. It was never a show where it was constantly wowing you with crazy plot twists and super memorable storylines.

When you ask fans about their favorite moments it's always character moments. "It was great when Paulie went to Italy and complained that they didn't serve him red sauce", stuff like that.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

You owe it to yourself to finish the show. It's really fuckin good. Pay the $15 for HBO Now or Max (when it launches) and finish it.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
It's kind of amazing that even B level shows from today completely blow away AAA shows from 20 years ago. I guess it's the nature of progress, but you wouldn't say movies from the 1980s are way better than movies from the 1960s, but the median for shows has gone WAY up in the last 20 years.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Lechtansi posted:

It's kind of amazing that even B level shows from today completely blow away AAA shows from 20 years ago.

It's all subjective, but the show being discussed right now, The Sopranos, kinda proves this incorrect.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

I watched Always Sunny as it aired and I felt like introducing Devito was a gimmicky step down and I missed the dynamic of the first season.

However many seasons later I'll happily admit I was wrong wrong wrong.

I watched it a bit later, but wasn't familiar with the show when I watched it and felt the exact same way. I was also wrong.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Lechtansi posted:

It's kind of amazing that even B level shows from today completely blow away AAA shows from 20 years ago. I guess it's the nature of progress, but you wouldn't say movies from the 1980s are way better than movies from the 1960s, but the median for shows has gone WAY up in the last 20 years.

I strongly disagree. 20 years ago? There were very few true AAA shows on TV, because cable dramas hadn't taken off yet. Still I am curious what B level show blows away The Sopranos (season 2 was in 2000)?

But lets go to once cable got rolling..lets say 2004 to 2008ish. You had shows like Deadwood, The Wire, Six Feet Under, Rome, Carnivale, BSG, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, and even Lost on network TV. What B level shows compete with these shows? I would dare say, that there are no shows currently airing (even the AAA shows of 2020) that I think are better than The Wire, Deadwood, or Mad Men.

I do think the quantity of AAA shows are greater due to streaming networks and the door that was open by HBO and The Sopranos. Outside of that the top shows of 2004-2008 were better than the shows of today.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 20:16 on May 18, 2020

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
In retrospect its almost funny how much better two seasons of Rome are compared to the whole of Game of Thrones.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I think Lechtansi has a point, but it's more that the shorter season order of shows allows them not to feel stretched out to infinity and to have their budgets used to appear a bit more cinematic. I still think that the bottom of today's barrel is as bad as the bottom of 1985's barrel, and the peak of today is only a bit higher than the peak of the same time, and probably the average is about the same all things said and done, but a show that would get a 26 episode order then is much likelier to be tighter and more concise today. Maybe?

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
OK i'll admit I was wrong but it definitely seems like the average has gone up. It could be that I'm actually watching more B level TV as well, but I feel like 10 years ago you ONLY had sopranos / mad men / breaking bad / the wire to talk about, and otherwise you just had episodic TV. Nowadays theres a lot more great stuff to talk about. Not on the level of Sopranos, but easily shows people will still be talking about in 10 years.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Breaking Bad is the best show still I will fight you

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Lechtansi posted:

OK i'll admit I was wrong but it definitely seems like the average has gone up. It could be that I'm actually watching more B level TV as well, but I feel like 10 years ago you ONLY had sopranos / mad men / breaking bad / the wire to talk about, and otherwise you just had episodic TV. Nowadays theres a lot more great stuff to talk about. Not on the level of Sopranos, but easily shows people will still be talking about in 10 years.

The average for sure has gone up. We went from HBO Sunday nights (and AMC Sunday nights once Mad Men came out), to Netflix, Hulu, Prime, and so on putting out AAA content.

I do think genre and niche shows are stronger now than they were in 2005. I think the biggest hole (for me at least) in 2020 is in the drama department. There are some good shows out there, but the last shows I truly loved on the level of a Mad Men, were stuff like The Patriot, Halt & Catch Fire, and The Leftovers, which are all gone now.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Field Mousepad posted:

Breaking Bad is the best show still I will fight you

I decided to finally finish this (season four and five) while I contemplate the HBO thing

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

feedmyleg posted:

I think Lechtansi has a point, but it's more that the shorter season order of shows allows them not to feel stretched out to infinity and to have their budgets used to appear a bit more cinematic. I still think that the bottom of today's barrel is as bad as the bottom of 1985's barrel, and the peak of today is only a bit higher than the peak of the same time, and probably the average is about the same all things said and done, but a show that would get a 26 episode order then is much likelier to be tighter and more concise today. Maybe?

Oh, I don't know. I think you might be giving older shows more credit than they deserve. Very few shows before the modern era actually planned out the story beyond a stray 2 or 3 episode arc. Even peak television like Twin Peaks and X-Files suffered because despite promises of mysteries to be solved, they were ultimately just pulling poo poo out of their rear end. Most everything was story of the week or procedural, and if you happened to get a good character moment, it was sheer luck.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Well, yes by modern tastes. I was trying to base it on tastes of the time, where episodic TV was the norm. I was sort of thinking that the lack of serialized TV was balanced out by a lot of weirder or higher concept shows. But yeah, maybe I'm giving too much weight to things like Miami Vice or Amazing Stories or Tales of the Gold Monkey being around and forgetting all of the forgettable stuff.

e: Looking through random TV lineups is always eye-opening. There was a Fast Times at Ridgemont High show??

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

I decided to finally finish this (season four and five) while I contemplate the HBO thing

It gets better my friend

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

feedmyleg posted:

Looking through random TV lineups is always eye-opening. There was a Fast Times at Ridgemont High show??

There was a Ferris Bueller tv show starring Jennifer Aniston pre nose job.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Simplex posted:

Yeah, I would have to fo back and rewatch it, but I'm pretty sure his character in the pilot is old, out-of-touch guy who unwittingly says offensive stuff. That's easily a role Fred Willard could have played.

From I remember being reported at the time, Chase's racist tirade that turned the cast and crew against him was Chevy flipping out about the lazy writing turning everyone into one note characters and his note being racism. Probably would have been better received if he didn't say something along the lines of "Am I going to get a script one day where I walk into the room and chant n*, n*, n*." He believed he had license to say that word because Richard Pryor said he could.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Nihonniboku posted:

There was a Ferris Bueller tv show starring Jennifer Aniston pre nose job.

The best Ferris Bueller TV show was Parker Lewis Can’t Lose!

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 13:23 on May 19, 2020

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

From I remember being reported at the time, Chase's racist tirade that turned the cast and crew against him was Chevy flipping out about the lazy writing turning everyone into one note characters and his note being racism. Probably would have been better received if he didn't say something along the lines of "Am I going to get a script one day where I walk into the room and chant n*, n*, n*." He believed he had license to say that word because Richard Pryor said he could.

Yeah that was season 4 and pretty much all of the characters were being boiled down to a single characteristic. I think the producers that season decided the funniest thing about the dean was his costumes so they had him in one as much as they could

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

nate fisher posted:

The best Ferris Bueller TV show was Parker Lewis Can’t Lose!

I remember nothing about that show other than "synchronize Swatches" and Larry Kubiak.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
People think the average quality of all art has gone up, but they're just confusing production values for quality.

To put it another way, think about music. Nobody has invented a new note or a new chord. It uses largely the same instruments, too. Even electronic elements aren't introducing new scales or new note theory or new chord progressions.

A Beatles record, or a Sebadoh record, sound noticeably rough compared to like, Imagine Dragons. But they sure as hell aren't worse.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

precision posted:

People think the average quality of all art has gone up, but they're just confusing production values for quality.

To put it another way, think about music. Nobody has invented a new note or a new chord. It uses largely the same instruments, too. Even electronic elements aren't introducing new scales or new note theory or new chord progressions.

A Beatles record, or a Sebadoh record, sound noticeably rough compared to like, Imagine Dragons. But they sure as hell aren't worse.

Can you provide a list of older shows that prove this? That hold up across the board in terms of quality against the best shows of the last 15, 20 years?

I don't think that anybody is arguing the shows today are better because they have a better budget or access to better technology. It all comes down to the storytelling.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

precision posted:

Well if you consider that up until the 2000s TV shows had to keep all their jokes, cliffhangers and plot points very tightly on beat to ad breaks otherwise they would get pulled, I think you can genuinely say that shows have a lot more room to tell a story these days. I mean yeah they still have act structure, but its not all compartmentalized down to 10 minute bits where X must happen, then Y and Z needs to occur to stop people switching over during the break.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Nihonniboku posted:

Can you provide a list of older shows that prove this? That hold up across the board in terms of quality against the best shows of the last 15, 20 years?

MASH
Taxi
All in the Family
Columbo
Seinfeld
Newsradio
Hill Street Blues
Moonlighting

Etc etc etc

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I mean, are we doing cartoons too? The Simpsons?
edit: Season 1 of Twin Peaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I’d add the Twilight Zone to that list. For the most part it looks good and the stories are still relevant today. It’s so loving good that every attempt to revive it has been ok at best despite stacking talent on both ends of the camera.