Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

whats a decent priced 28" widescreen?

if i do upgrade my display its for death stranding widescreen mode

Just saw this in the deals thread
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07598HLB...&language=en_US

Ultrawide monitors are the loving best though. Only downside is when certain games that have been released in the last five years have no UW support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

I know it might sound weird to buy as I save but if I start buying stuff I’m more likely to keep buying. I’ve been wanting to build a PC for years but always find other stuff to spend my money on while I save for one. Stuff that I eventually look at and think “man I wish I had a PC instead of this.”

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Handsome Ralph posted:

Ultrawide monitors are the loving best though. Only downside is when certain games that have been released in the last five years have no UW support.

yeah, DS is supporting 21:9 aspect ratio which is insaaaaaaaane

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Handsome Ralph posted:

Ultrawide rules. It makes everything look so cinematic. But yeah, some games will stretch the view to the edges of your screen which looks like butt.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

What a world when us poor folk can afford those ultra wide monitors now

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
UE5 looking incredible:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qC5KtatMcUw

Cool tech from NVidia RTX:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeScfkCm3b4

Meanwhile, in Star Citizen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFLzMG_k8z8&t=9827s

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Meanwhile in Mortal Kombat....

https://youtu.be/X9MGizguLXA

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Fallom posted:

hello can i tell you about my everyday carry

Holy poo poo I'm not the only person that plays Elex.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code
Ghost of Tsushima state of play was today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fMlkQy7r28

I can't wait, it's probably the only reason I still have a PS4. I'll get Cyberpunk on PC.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
i tried elex. god it was bad

edit : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5groM021-4g

ded fucked around with this message at 03:06 on May 15, 2020

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Woofer posted:

I know it might sound weird to buy as I save but if I start buying stuff I’m more likely to keep buying. I’ve been wanting to build a PC for years but always find other stuff to spend my money on while I save for one. Stuff that I eventually look at and think “man I wish I had a PC instead of this.”

For me it comes down to a couple of things...if you're starting from scratch, I think it makes more sense to set money aside and make a big purchase when there's a predictable sale (Memorial Day, etc). If you've got an ancient tower you're looking to upgrade, piecemealing it is more satisfying BUT you have to buy the things you can integrate. I agree with whomever said not to buy stuff just to let it sit in the closet. So starting with a monitor, SSD(s), a graphics card...stuff you can plug in and use right away. Hold off on the CPU/motherboard/RAM (which you probably should buy all at once) until you're ready to drop that much money. But starting with those components probably doesn't make sense, because if your monitor is a 15" LCD from 2008 or you're rocking a geforce 9800GT or an onboard Intel graphics chipset, you'll never be able to tell the difference.

If you're starting from scratch...well, I'd make your list of components, and buy things as they go on sale. Ultimately until you piece the whole system together you're not going to enjoy any of it, and prices generally go down not up (there are occasional exceptions, like the tsunami that hosed memory production for a couple of years), so slowly compiling parts that are going to gather dust is almost certainly throwing extra money away or you end up spending $X in total when saving up to X could've gotten you a generation newer hardware at the same ultimate price.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I pretty much maxed out everything in Battletech, so I downloaded the 3025 Extended mod, which basically packs the whole nerdy grognard timeline and encyclopedia of Mechs and vehicles into it.

Unfortunately, they also turned the stupid up. Run a light lance on a 1.5 skull difficulty mission, start off against two medium lances. loving retarded.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Have you been rolling in career mode, or the campaign? Cause man I could replay career mode so much. That final mission in the Heavy Metal DLC is so great.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

The Rat posted:

Have you been rolling in career mode, or the campaign? Cause man I could replay career mode so much. That final mission in the Heavy Metal DLC is so great.

I ran campaign through the vanilla game figured with 4 Bull Sharks and a hold full of lostech the game was over, then went to career in the 3025 mod.

If the mission difficulty were tuned better, it'd be nice, but it's still a fantastic loving mod. I've had more fun struggling to run Wasps and Stingers and (thank god) a salvaged Phoenix Hawk than I did the last week of "Steiner scout lances".

GD_American fucked around with this message at 05:27 on May 16, 2020

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Woofer posted:

Is it stupid to buy things for a computer as I save up or should I just save up and buy everything at one time?

Let’s say $1200 max. Is that enough to give me really good eye candy? I might could stretch it to $1500 buuuut...

If I saved I’d put away like $50-100/mo. It’s not really important enough to save more than that. I have no problem going without for a while to save up for something that will last for a few years without major upgrades.

A day and a half late, but:

Peripherals like Mouse, keyboard, printer are buy whenever

Monitors, me having VA student income, I tend to stagger every 3 or 4 years so I can buy whatever is good at the time, but I probably won't update my current setup till they're reaching the 6 or 7 year point.

The tower itself? Always just go all in on one bulk purchase. Preferably when you get seasonal sales. Ask here, or in the PC part thread in SHSC to figure out what the ideal build for your pricepoint is on the market going into sale season. Right now on the market $1200 will get you a great gaming PC, or $1600 will get you a great PC with a much beefier Nvidea video card for prettier graphics. Big ticket items that you can easily play with to change costs are video card and storage solutions. Not including a monitor that can actually utilize whatever video card you end up with. $1200 PC with a $300 monitor will last you until 2025 unless you really need to flex your nerd cred with ultra graphics.

Modern PC tech is experiencing smaller and smaller incremental upgrades each year. My computer is from 2016 and still handles everything from Doom Eternal to ANSYS fluid dynamics simulations that I throw at it great. (The secret sauce in all cases is 32GB of DDR4-3200, never skimp on a good motherboard chipset and fast ram)

Handsome Ralph posted:

Running dual ultrawides I can confirm they are the bomb. Haven't personally run into any games that have a problem with them. If I ever did have something old that needed to be fullscreen but can't do 21:9 I would just change the monitor resolution to old standard 1080p and that just leaves the left and right edges blackboxed.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Animal Crossing Tetris 99 theme is unsurprisingly very well done imho.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

M_Gargantua posted:

Running dual ultrawides I can confirm they are the bomb. Haven't personally run into any games that have a problem with them. If I ever did have something old that needed to be fullscreen but can't do 21:9 I would just change the monitor resolution to old standard 1080p and that just leaves the left and right edges blackboxed.

Dual Ultrawides sound so badass.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

M_Gargantua posted:

How big are they? I've got a 35" so I don't realllly need a second one, but I mean, a second one would be all sorts of awesome for flight sims and poo poo.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 20:48 on May 16, 2020

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
34”

Left one is for whatever I’m working on. Far right is for discord. Mid right is documentation for what I’m working on + background tabs of youtube/Spotify.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Went back for another playthrough of Subnautica, and decided to build a seabase in a slightly more exotic area of the game’s map. This is the view from one of the tubes connecting my rooms in the base.

The thermal vents at the Dunes, west of the lifepod. There are somewhere around 8 Reaper leviathans in the area, and my scanner picks up 2 of them

The reapers actually cast a shadow this deep, and it’s loving intense when that passes over you. I’m deep enough where it won’t bother me (unless I get in my little craft and turn on the lights), but there’s a second one lurking out there somewhere. Their constant roars remind me of a mix of Mother Brain from Super Metroid, and the T-Rex from Jurassic Park. If I stay low and fast in my little Seamoth, I can keep them off of me on the way in/out of the place...but it reminds me of the snowspeeders from Empire Strikes Back when I do that :laffo:

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I've never played Subnautica but I might have to get it. It's especially strange I haven't played it yet since I play most first person survival games when they come out.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Subnautica is super fun and is a surprisingly deep game (no pun intended.)

I’m building a secondary base to act as a resupply outpost for my exploration of the Lost River area and there’s a juvenile Ghost Leviathan in the area. Those fuckers are even creepier than the Reapers.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

The ghost ones are creepy as all gently caress. If you want to encounter one early, run off a map edge and they’ll corral you back to where you should be (after half-eating your cyclops :stonklol: )

I felt like doing something silly and building a base and an outpost (scanner room + power source) out in the dunes to see how many reapers are actually out there. I’ve had my scanner tracking 5 at once, including one that took a nip* as I ducked into a cave to hide from it.

*~50% of my life :gonk:

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Turn the lights off, put on some noise canceling headphones, and play subnautica.

Most terrifying atmosphere I’ve experienced in a game.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
Started playing Control the other day since it was on sale and there was a $10 off coupon on the epic store. Good game. I really enjoy the aesthetic. The powers are generally organic and fun to use. The only thing I don't like is how the difficulty ramps up through the roof in certain areas beyond what's expected, and the way the checkpoint system works is rear end and leaves you having to run back and refight poo poo multiple times. You're also penalized with 10% of your skill/item purchasing bits every time you die. I've died over 20 times in certain areas. It also doesn't have difficulty settings. Overall, though, I'm glad I bought it and I really telekinetically throwing things and people around in combat.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
I think it's safe to say that Super Mega Baseball 3 is the only baseball game I've ever actually enjoyed playing, and it's because of moments like this:

https://i.imgur.com/1n5CTlS.gifv

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

my arcade is coming along

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Naked Bear posted:

I think it's safe to say that Super Mega Baseball 3 is the only baseball game I've ever actually enjoyed playing, and it's because of moments like this:

It's retro gaming at this point but Super Baseball 2020 (which....huh, I never noticed the date until just now typing it) is infinitely replayable

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Subnautica is super fun and is a surprisingly deep game (no pun intended.)

I’m building a secondary base to act as a resupply outpost for my exploration of the Lost River area and there’s a juvenile Ghost Leviathan in the area. Those fuckers are even creepier than the Reapers.

Nothing in the game scared me half so much as those god drat Reapers. Even the creatures you encounter at the end. There's just something about them that triggers the hell out of me.

I finished my playthrough without coming close to a single one; I played that cautiously.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

The Warpers got me good too, at the first encounter...but the drat crabsquids were pretty loving weird, too. Their look, their sounds, their little ability to drop an EMP on you and leave you scrambling in the dark...it’s beautifully done.

Whoever did the graphics for that game had to have had some diving experience, the visuals of looking up through the water to the surface are pretty spot-on. The depths are all kinds of hosed (thinking of the depth in ft instead of meters keeps that alarm from being as bad in my head), but navigating your sub through tight caves when your only countermeasures are running silent and shooting decoys while ghost leviathans are screaming in your ears is an experience.

I went ahead and bought Below Zero, understanding that it’s in early-access and probably won’t be good/stable for a while...but last time I bought early access was Kerbal Space Program, and that’s one of the best game decisions I’ve ever made.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Naked Bear posted:

https://i.imgur.com/1n5CTlS.gifv

Just bought and I'm waiting for it to finish downloading, all because of your gif.
My favorite baseball game of all time was MLB Power Pros, god I miss that series so much.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

base wars

bengy81
May 8, 2010

My dude, I totally forgot about that one.
I really like the SNK arcade Baseball game too.

RE: Super Mega Baseball
Holy poo poo the team names and logos are great. Having a hard time deciding between the Moose and the Jacks right now.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I HAVE A STARTING PITCHER NAMED DONK OH!!!

GOTY 2020

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I was was on 120hz in 2012.

I agree refresh beats resolution.

I have a widescreen monitor from when 21:9 was new, so I traded off 120hz for that, as I sold off my old rig and was downsizing a little.

I'm actually still on the same CPU, but I miss those monitors even if they were TN, they looked great usually and triple 120 was wild times.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Icon Of Sin posted:

The Warpers got me good too, at the first encounter...but the drat crabsquids were pretty loving weird, too. Their look, their sounds, their little ability to drop an EMP on you and leave you scrambling in the dark...it’s beautifully done.

Whoever did the graphics for that game had to have had some diving experience, the visuals of looking up through the water to the surface are pretty spot-on. The depths are all kinds of hosed (thinking of the depth in ft instead of meters keeps that alarm from being as bad in my head), but navigating your sub through tight caves when your only countermeasures are running silent and shooting decoys while ghost leviathans are screaming in your ears is an experience.

I went ahead and bought Below Zero, understanding that it’s in early-access and probably won’t be good/stable for a while...but last time I bought early access was Kerbal Space Program, and that’s one of the best game decisions I’ve ever made.

I was going to say "I'd recommend to stay away from Below Zero for now. I bought it in early access quite a while ago because I was okay with supporting the devs after how good of a game Subnautica was, but the last time I played it the story was still extremely wonky, and that added to the unfinished items/mechanics in the game made for a very un-Subnautica-like experience", but that was in October, and it looks like there were two bigger patches and a major content / story overhaul since then, with the story update hitting May 1st.

Sooooo, I guess give it a try?

I'm still gonna try to stay away from it until it releases. I'm only 40 hours deep into my next Satisfactory run, so I should be fine.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

bengy81 posted:

My dude, I totally forgot about that one.
I really like the SNK arcade Baseball game too.

baseball stars rules

neo turf masters is by far the best snk sports game though

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I'm gonna wait to get Subnautica until its on sale again so I started playing No Man's Sky again, which I already own though I never played more than like an hour of it and a long time ago at that.

It's a lot of fun to play stoned and on a 34in curved ultrawide monitor it's extremely immersive in first person.

No idea what I'm doing though.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

epic game store is giving gtav away for free

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Will I have to dl it all in one shot ie while I sleep or can I pause it and resume, steam style